Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Raids  (Read 1092 times)

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Raids
« on: June 23, 2022, 08:53:51 am »

Do these ever work, was I wrong to send my Dwarves to raid?

I sent them out, they never came back.  I checked the wiki, it says this is sometimes a bug and to replace all the dwarves and delete the squads and then they should return.  I did that, they haven't returned yet.

Are raids just broken and sometimes actually means always?

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Raids
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 09:03:34 am »

I haven't had a broken raid since the last update, though I only raid occasionally.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 10:10:31 am »

Bugs are occasional
I always save before I send a squad out and won't exit out until they return because of that bug and another one I ran into

Sometimes my dwarves might pick up an artifact or item that is bugged/corrupted/whatever and when they show back up they cause the game to crash by bringing in some forbidden object

So those two bugs make it so I will never save the game DURING a mission as I might be destroying my fort

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 02:58:11 pm »

Yeah, that's the best possible advice. Save before sending them out and wait until they come back before saving again. I've had squads vanish before, the bug only happens some of the time, so reverting back to the prior save is the best option.

Sometimes they are defeated and captured by the site you sent them to raid though. Check to see if they're prisoners of the site you sent them to raid too.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 03:00:11 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 04:40:47 pm »

If you want more successful raids, assign a dwarf to hunting. They'll train up many of the skills which help raids be more successful. Then set them as the leader and send them off. Otherwise good equipment and military training makes a big difference.

To test if you're in a buggy save, send the squad to an abandoned or empty site. They'll explore and return without the risk of being defeated.