Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What should you do if you teleport to a world on another plane of existence?  (Read 970 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

What's the Survival guide?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Oh, is this the Isekai thread???
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Have Sex
More realistically, find out what is going on.  Look, listen, learn.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Realistically you'd probably stop existing in any recognizable form.  It depends on what you mean by plane of existence.

Even a tiny difference in the laws of physics would destroy the structure of your body.  But, I guess if we're going down that path, you have to define what it even means to teleport something like an electron to a universe that has no concept of electrons.  It's like trying to add a number and a color and asking what the answer is, except worse.

If you just mean something like a typical D&D or fantasy plane of existence, you'd probably be dead in short order.  Might as well scream to get it over with quickly by attracting local fauna if the plane itself doesn't kill you.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Going down that rabbit hole, you should definitely scream "I'm a Planeswalker, bitches!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

What kind of survival guide you'd need would depend entirely on what kind of planeswalking you're doing. Like, if it's another plane like our universe, effectively a clone of earth maybe with different lifeforms instead of what were familiar with, normal survival rules would apply, but you'll need to be able to test things you intend to eat. If it's a fantasy world, normal survival rules would still apply, you'd just want to watch out for goblins and dire wolves.

But if it's nothing like our world, or if it is but the atmosphere is like 5% more or less oxygen content or CO2 levels are higher, or theres a lack of water in the atmosphere, or the soil is full of arsenic, you're absolutely going to die. Possibly quickly but also possibly slowly and painfully.

Are you going to be bringing a space suit and ship with you or something?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 06:39:02 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile

Depends on the situation. If you're not dead yet, try to find a way to feed yourself, assuming that energy exists in this world. You may also have to consider recycling your exhalations, urine, and poop if compatible matter is not available. IE, imagine that you ended up in a fantasy world where matter is not made from particles, but areas of "stuff", that stuff may not be compatible with your body.

If you can see this teleportation coming to help with survival odds, I guess go to a big university and ask for a space suit, saying that you'll bring back data on another world if you make it back. Though, is this assuming you can bring along stuff on your person? How do we define "on-person", maybe we just take along a bubble of matter surrounding us?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Activate steampunk goggles.
Set phaser to stun.
Wear a t-shirt with the text "I come in peace".

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yell I come in peace while you run around murdering the locals.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Ok, so it basically comes down to finding the locals and going from there.

You can't reasonably expect a controlled audience. Odds are, you end up with a pack of yokels in the middle of nowhere?

And reasonably you're paraded to the nearest university.

Where your destiny is out of your hands... okay, for our purposes let's say you're dealing with your fellow humans. Just living in a world with different rules.

You basically find the safest way to learn the rules no?

And hide your own shit.
Reading a thinner book

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile

Assuming there are locals at all is a large leap! If that's part of the hypothetical perhaps it's the sort of thing you should have stated in the OP!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

I think you need several different "style guides". One for "anything", another for d&d style planes, another for "human world."
Reading a thinner book

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One in braille, for planes without sight.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile

Find the nearest pub (or equivalent), get a beer (or equivalent) and drink until you forget you're on a different plane.

After that, everything will be fine.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Talk about stuff to everything as you don't know what can and can't talk.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: [1] 2