Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Responding to Headhunters  (Read 3413 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Responding to Headhunters
« on: June 17, 2022, 03:57:32 pm »

So I am probably not alone in this, although I am at a different life-stage than most here.

I'm pretty happy with my current job, and get emails all the time from headhunters.  Most of them I ignore (especially the "we are looking for this position in our <country literally halfway around the world> office!" ones), but some are.. intriguing. I got my current job through such an email.  It's good to know that you're in an in-demand field.

I just got an another such "Hey you look like you'd be a fit for this" email from a well known tech company which I happen to admire, in one of their special project groups.  I'm like... should I respond? I do like my current job, and I've only been here for a little over a year.  I'm curious to know what this company is doing in field, other than what is speculated in the media.

I'm in an in-demand role, do I use the leverage of people trying to pull me away to help get more compensation? Do I just sit tight and count my blessings?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Responding to Headhunters
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 01:56:09 am »

Find out more about the job and about the business activities it might apply to, then apply that information to your job and the business activities in your company that your job supports.

A blessing is something that another puts on you, and while they are nice, you can lose them when there is political in-fighting in the hierarchical layers above your job position. Even if you have no interest in changing jobs, this is an opportunity to increase your "situational awareness", making you more capable at discussing current and future projects which can gain you respect from others within your company.

When you are talking with the headhunter, if they prioritize pushing you into communication with a rep from the company, don't budge and continue working them for information. Repeat this process when you talk to the company rep. You want them to feel like they need to interest you in the work itself (and not like you are interested because you want to change jobs or get a few more dollars), so they will give you info that maybe they should not...

If nothing else, responding to the offer can be a fun thing to do.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 02:32:59 am »

I always answer something to the effect of "Hello I'm otherwise engaged but I will get back to you if my circumstances change"
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 07:42:54 am »

I always answer something to the effect of "Hello I'm otherwise engaged but I will get back to you if my circumstances change"

Ah yes, for me this goes without saying.  Mostly my question was, do I ask for other information on top of that...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 02:28:03 pm »

By definition I think companies that are headhunting desperately need someone to fill a role. They might incentivize with pay but you also might be walking into a nightmare that some project group is desperate to make someone else's headache. So yeah, research, ask questions about what the job posting would be expected to do within their first month and get a sense of what the actual project is.

My brother got "loaned" from a hardware group to a software group because they let go of half the team and needed someone smart and capable to pick it up. They told him they'd hire for the position about a year ago, and currently he's dead ended in it with no expectation of relief or return to the group he was originally sourced from. That's the kind of stuff I feel like headhunters are angling for. I'd tread carefully as per usual. I'm increasingly suspicious of tech companies that use aggressive tactics and promises to get you in. You're holding all the cards though. Tip your hand enough to keep them interested but ply them for as much truth as possible. If their answers never get concrete (i.e. they won't give you a sitdown with anyone technical who won't lie through their teeth to you) then it's a non-starter IMO. Forget the headhunter, if you really wanna know what's up, talk to someone on the actual team as part of the inquiry process. Those people are less skilled at lying and dissembling, and if they're squirming when you ask the tough questions then you know you're not being told the whole story.

Lots of people are like "if the pay is right then the rest can be figured out." I'm of the mind that the pay often disguise the reasons why they haven't hired already.

Like my job. We need qualified C++ developers like human beings need air. If we were to headhunt a qualified developer from another company, we'd basically have to lie around the reality of "We have dozens of projects that require a high level of understanding of our software and the industry we serve, and we're months behind, which means you would need to spin up fast and hit the ground running." Not exactly a hot sales pitch.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 09:03:49 pm »

I have a fairly very attractive offer now from the company that contacted me.

Everyone tells me I'm not selfish for considering it.

Why don't I want to listen to them? Why am I reluctant to accept blessings?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 10:44:34 pm »

Do what's right for you. You can always give your current employer the chance to match the offer too.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 03:52:33 pm »

The bigger issue is the intangibles of it... it's a unique opportunity.  The headline numbers are also just... I don't feel like I deserve it to be honest, even though most people I talk to say, "this is what your life's been leading to."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 04:31:00 pm »

The headline numbers are also just... I don't feel like I deserve it to be honest, even though most people I talk to say, "this is what your life's been leading to."

If you don't value yourself at what you're worth, no one else will either. These folks don't know the real you, that's their paper valuation. If in your mind you're saying "If they actually knew me they wouldn't offer me this much" then you're defeating yourself. Who cares if that's reality?! You get a paycheck for X amount of time before "the jig is up." Unless your job you're at now is that amazing, then the only thing that's really holding you back is the fear of being "outted" as not actually worth it. Which doesn't seem reasonable if this really is what your life has been leading to.

I get where you're coming from. I also have problems undervaluing myself (anxiety, imposter syndrome in tech, the usual.) Then again, I've never had someone come to me and say I'm worth more than I actually think I am.

Here's some food for thought: I went to Europe a good while back and met a dude. Easy going, free spirit, had a side gig of making hats.

I asked him what he did, ya know, the rest of the time to make money.

He'd go to different businesses, talk himself up as a corporate exec for logistics or marketing or w/e, work there for about a year until he could collect severance, then he would just quit, enjoy his money and think about the next thing he was going to do.

I'm not going to say that strategy is a pathway to success. But I had to admire the fact that he honestly just didn't give a fuck. He didn't feel beholden to these businesses, he didn't beat himself up or question his own worth. He put his value first, and fuck everyone else. I wouldn't do other businesses dirty like that, but the way he didn't carry any real guilt about it really struck me. Imagine if you were principled and skilled......and had that kind of self-confidence. How much less time you'd waste beating yourself up, accepting less than you're worth and actively sabotaging your chances at things being different.

Maybe that helps, maybe it doesn't. But if the only hang up you have right now is that you don't think you're actually worth what you're being offered.....get over it :P If it doesn't work out it's not the end of the world for you or them, and it might be the greatest adventure of your professional life!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2022, 12:58:24 pm »

Oh yeah it's a fun adventure... and I've decided to take the new path.

I still don't think I "deserve" to get compensated so well (to be fair I've thought that for many years now), but that's what the market says...  :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2022, 04:24:15 pm »

If you aren't fulfilling the promise that your salary says, your new company will let you know. I'd focus less on whether you deserve it, and more on proving you're worth even more.

Anyways, congrats on your new tax bracket and the adventure that awaits!