Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [47.05] Warlocks: Soulforged v0.11 (Soulharvesting Necromancers)  (Read 5622 times)

DungeonCrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Crab blog?

Play as Warlocks!
Take your overlord and a group of devout followers into the wilderness and found a tower of your own. Butcher your enemies and harvest their souls, then use their corpses and souls and bind them into dark ritual to create an army of your own.

Everything has a soul, and you know the secrets to harnessing the power of the soul for your own dark magics. Civilized races produce bright souls that can be used in advanced magics or broken into dim souls. Dim souls are the basic unit of soulmagics and are produced by non-civilized creatures. Butcher you enemies and use their souls to fuel your magics! Beware, souls will wither unattended! Trap them in gems at the Necromantic Obelisk or the Necromantic Sanctum.

What is this?
This is a reboot of Meph's original Warlock Tower mod brought up to 47.05 alongside dfhack 0.47.05-r6. All the best bits of the 44.12 mod as well as features recovered from the Old Masterwork modpack.

Metals:
Use bones, ash, blood and souls to make new metals at the Corrupted Forge or its magma variant!
Bonemold: Slightly worse than iron. Made from bonemeal and ash.
Bloodsteel: Slightly worse than steel. Made from meat, ash, and bonemold.
Soulforged: Better than steel. Made from dim souls and bloodsteel.

Units:
Warlocks: Your base unit, you will never get more of these than what you get at embark. Evil, mortal, and able to learn spells. Sleep and eat as normal.
Ghouls: Learn at 10% speed but have a paralytic bite. Make good cannon fodder. Sleep and need to consume meat.
Imps: Learn normally but only live a year or two! They can cast fire spells but need booze to get through the day.
Corrupted Humans: Created at the Greater Necromantic Altar from 5000 gold and a bright soul. They sleep and eat as normal and are the only other spell casters you can have.
Skeletons: Your basic cheap unit. Made from bones, leather, and a bright soul these skeletons come in three castes:
   Skeleton: Basic, made of bone, 50% learn rate
   Bonemold: Made of Bonemold! 75% learn rate
   Bloodsteel: Made of Bloodsteel! 100% learn rate
   Soulforged: Made of Soulforged! 125% learn rate

Pets:
Summon Iron Men, Blood Men, Amethyst Men, and Gabbro men to stock your dungeon at the various altars!
Gargoyles! Stationary statues that make various effects that can incapacitate your enemies.
Mephits! Annoying little implike creatures that can cast minor magics.
Snakes! Use snakes for eggs or extract their poisons and apply them at the poison vat.
Prisoners! Macabre, breed in captivity, excellent source of bright souls

Spells:
Learn 34 spells at the various altars and destroy your enemies!

Slade and Obsidian Factories:
Generate Obsidian from blocks and generate Slade from blocks and souls, requires magma

Immortality: Seek immortality for 100 bright souls at the greatest necromantic altar
Become a vampire or werewolf! Turn a warlock into a werewolf or vampire, mutually exclusive. Done at the life and blood altars respectively.

Sacrifice souls to meet needs and keep your undead happy, done on a one by one basis at the Necromantic Obelisk or for 30 bright souls at the Sanctum and meet the needs of the whole fortress!

Bugs!
Still working everything out, but the mod is stable and functioning in its barebones state. Do note, before spawning any units it is advisable to use the quicksave reaction due to some crashes when spawning in units. This is relatively rare, and only happened twice in my 3-4 dozen test forts.

Download

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Compatibility:
In order to grant souls to other creatures, add [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT][EBO_ITEM:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:SOUL_DIM:STRUCTURAL] to civilized creatures and add [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT][EBO_ITEM:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:SOUL_DIM:STRUCTURAL] to noncivilized creatures. I've bundled a hack and update of Smakemupagus's Orc Fortress into this zip folder to give an example. They're uncontrollable by default, but go play as Orcs too if you want! It's still really good.

Credits:
None of this could have been done if not for the extensive work of other modders so a huge thanks to all of them. This mod borrows extensively from the originals by Meph as well as other raws from Smakemupagus and Boltgun- and of course it relies heavily on the work of the dfhack team.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 11:00:21 pm by DungeonCrab »

DungeonCrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Crab blog?
Re: [47.05] Warlocks: Soulforged v0.1 (Soulharvesting Necromancers)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 08:55:13 pm »

reserved

DungeonCrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Crab blog?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 08:56:35 pm »

also reserved

DungeonCrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Crab blog?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 08:57:46 pm »

also also reserved

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 03:31:50 am »

Wow im floored, this is a very nice suprise for my weekend, i have a few commentary things about the changelog list though below that might be helpful however. I see you've worked around it partially eitherway.

I do look forward to seeing if you can continue "Soulforged" as a series.  :D

-Removed Alchemy Potion and Poison workshops due to bug with brewing taking any plant as opposed to specific ones (might return this later)
-Removed blood extraction (meat wasn't being taken and used for blood post upgrade, couldn't find a fix)

You referring to "Sacrificial Blood"? That's a trick accessible by putting in a faux amorphorous creature (with minimum of detail) with [DOES_NOT_EXIST] to draw upon as a resource, then referring to the material in abstract on the reaction which should generate it on the spot. Here's a link to where i consulted brolol on it.

Compatibility:
In order to grant souls to other creatures, add [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT][EBO_ITEM:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:SOUL_DIM:STRUCTURAL] to civilized creatures and add [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT][EBO_ITEM:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:SOUL_DIM:STRUCTURAL] to noncivilized creatures.

Might i also add for your convenience, that organs RELSIZE don't distort the bodily function, so you could just put a physical soul butchery product around the brain, maybe a 'Guts' representing the brainstem and pineal gland just large enough to scoop out for a dim/bright soul product. Using [NERVES] would mean a paralysis and destruction of the brain, so most likely death when severed.

You can probably stop souls being sold by other races by means of a script too, like resourcechange.lua employed by brolol to keep dog materials off the dinnertable, but that might get laborious after a bit unless you target all of the same kind of thing.

DungeonCrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Crab blog?
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 04:19:29 am »

-Removed Alchemy Potion and Poison workshops due to bug with brewing taking any plant as opposed to specific ones (might return this later)
-Removed blood extraction (meat wasn't being taken and used for blood post upgrade, couldn't find a fix)

You referring to "Sacrificial Blood"? That's a trick accessible by putting in a faux amorphorous creature (with minimum of detail) with [DOES_NOT_EXIST] to draw upon as a resource, then referring to the material in abstract on the reaction which should generate it on the spot. Here's a link to where i consulted brolol on it.

Huh, okay this explains a lot actually. Originally that's pretty much the reaction that was in place earlier with the 44.12 version (where it ran fine) but couldn't get the same to function in 47.05. I'll tinker around and see if I can make it work, blood as an extract makes for a better fantasy than just using meat in place of it.

Compatibility:
In order to grant souls to other creatures, add [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT][EBO_ITEM:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:SOUL_DIM:STRUCTURAL] to civilized creatures and add [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT][EBO_ITEM:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:SOUL_DIM:STRUCTURAL] to noncivilized creatures.

Might i also add for your convenience, that organs RELSIZE don't distort the bodily function, so you could just put a physical soul butchery product around the brain, maybe a 'Guts' representing the brainstem and pineal gland just large enough to scoop out for a dim/bright soul product. Using [NERVES] would mean a paralysis and destruction of the brain, so most likely death when severed.

You can probably stop souls being sold by other races by means of a script too, like resourcechange.lua employed by brolol to keep dog materials off the dinnertable, but that might get laborious after a bit unless you target all of the same kind of thing. Speaking of extracts, I need to check more thoroughly on the poison extracts and see if they are working as intended.

That's interesting, I hadn't even considered creating an actual butchery product for a soul! Right now I'm using the extra butcher object option to A: funnel industry around a butcher-soul trap cycle and B: control dim and bright soul generation for creatures. But if I made souls an actual physical object around the brain then it might even be possible to do things like adding interactions that mess with souls directly. For the moment, it looks like making souls a fake plant keeps them from being sold. Originally souls had just been a non-rotting [ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SOUL] but I was finding that unwieldy to put in stockpiles and also liked the 34.11 implementation that had rotting soul plants. An actual soul object part of the body though could rot and have actual impact on creatures. I'll have to do some science.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 12:32:04 pm »

Ok for initial bug report feedback, on the first pass my errorlog is full of notices about missing gastroliths in invertibrates and exoskeleton like creatures but the list is pretty self contained actually (so thats basically malfunctioning EBO's) on load, but branches out as you actually start up for embark for properly realised EBO's.

Code: ("sample errors") [Select]
NAUTILUS_MAN:Gastroliths seem to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added

*** Error(s) finalizing the creature WHITE_STORK_MAN
undefined plant material set to default: SOUL_DIM SOUL_DIM

Im not sure what to suggest in any case about the content of the plants not representing themselves in EBO's properly, it seems to be quite a widespread issue in forum modding without clear answers, but it might be worth differentiating between plant and plant growth, my limited editing of it such as checking if the EBO was wrote out correct doesnt indicate a difference between doing the plant token, with or without a structural or as [EBO_ITEM:PLANT:PLANT_MAT:SOUL_DIM:STRUCTURAL] with no parsing :NONE:.

Making them a harvest from a non-existant/vaguely existant soul tree like how feather egg tree's operate could be more viable with the PLANT_GROWTH item-token instead.

Secondly post embark through the embark profiles, there are missing objects especially amongst plants which seem to have only featured in MW but have been edited out.

Code: [Select]
(profile 2)
MUSHROOM_DEATH_CAP
(profile 3 especially)
[ITEM:20:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_IMPERATOR_TOLOSUS:SEED]
MUSHROOM_IMPERATOR_TOLOSUS:DRINK

etc etc i omitted a good few of them just to demonstrate, but there's fair few.

Probably least important though your game-report & custom world-gen files are attached in presumably from your own setup in the download, so thanks for the free maps but erm, i don't suppose those were made especially for the mod.

There was a minor failed loadup on embark but im not sure what's that about.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 12:39:15 pm by FantasticDorf »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 10:01:39 pm »

How did you do that little animated title thing right there?! I am curious and wanna try it out.

DungeonCrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Crab blog?
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 03:09:30 am »

Ok for initial bug report feedback, on the first pass my errorlog is full of notices about missing gastroliths in invertibrates and exoskeleton like creatures but the list is pretty self contained actually (so thats basically malfunctioning EBO's) on load, but branches out as you actually start up for embark for properly realised EBO's.

Code: ("sample errors") [Select]
NAUTILUS_MAN:Gastroliths seem to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added

*** Error(s) finalizing the creature WHITE_STORK_MAN

Im not sure what to suggest in any case about the content of the plants not representing themselves in EBO's properly, it seems to be quite a widespread issue in forum modding without clear answers, but it might be worth differentiating between plant and plant growth, my limited editing of it such as checking if the EBO was wrote out correct doesnt indicate a difference between doing the plant token, with or without a structural or as [EBO_ITEM:PLANT:PLANT_MAT:SOUL_DIM:STRUCTURAL] with no parsing :NONE:.

Making them a harvest from a non-existant/vaguely existant soul tree like how feather egg tree's operate could be more viable with the PLANT_GROWTH item-token instead.

Secondly post embark through the embark profiles, there are missing objects especially amongst plants which seem to have only featured in MW but have been edited out.

Code: [Select]
(profile 2)
MUSHROOM_DEATH_CAP
(profile 3 especially)
[ITEM:20:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_IMPERATOR_TOLOSUS:SEED]
MUSHROOM_IMPERATOR_TOLOSUS:DRINK

etc etc i omitted a good few of them just to demonstrate, but there's fair few.

Probably least important though your game-report & custom world-gen files are attached in presumably from your own setup in the download, so thanks for the free maps but erm, i don't suppose those were made especially for the mod.

There was a minor failed loadup on embark but im not sure what's that about.

I'll see if I can stop the errors with the feather egg trick. The errorlog is calling out each and every addition of the plant-soul but it doesn't seem to affect anything in the game other than the log complaining. And for the embark stuff, yeah I'll clean that up and the test world for the next update, thanks for all the feedback!

How did you do that little animated title thing right there?! I am curious and wanna try it out.

That's from Playscii, it's a pretty quick to learn tool for simple pixel stuff. I'm by no means an expert, but did make this gif for a Mothership game I was running with very little practice and a lot of patience

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 06:58:59 am »

That's from Playscii, it's a pretty quick to learn tool for simple pixel stuff. I'm by no means an expert, but did make this gif for a Mothership game I was running with very little practice and a lot of patience

Huh, looks interesting. Will have to give it a try.

(Sort of reminds me of ACiDDraw from back in the days.)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 08:54:19 am »

That ACiDraw site is creepy, lol

DungeonCrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Crab blog?
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 10:58:19 pm »

Updated to .11

Changelog:

*Re-enabled blood extraction and made recipes that used to cost blood once more use blood. Known issue: blood barrels/pots don't go into any stockpiles
*Changed werewolf form to trigger on DEFEND as opposed to FLEEING

Still on the fence of whether or not I want to change souls from EBO to an item. Right now they generate errors in the errorlog but function as intended in spite of the game complaining. Similarly, still tracking down the gastrolith problem.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] Warlocks: Soulforged v0.11 (Soulharvesting Necromancers)
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 09:23:06 pm »

Looks neat, but I've noticed some oddities.

All my male warlocks are hundreds of years old and one of the first of their kind. All my females are ~30. This doesn't affect anything, but I'm curious how that'd happen.

"Release a prisoner" tasks don't actually produce a slave (and the male human one is available at the tannery for some reason). The task is completed and experience in Animal Care is gained, but nothing happens.

Similarly, calling caravans doesn't seem to work. Eats a soul, but no caravan.

Souls can't be used for construction while stored in barrels, so you need a separate food stockpile that only accepts souls and has max barrels at 0.

Once I created a necromantic altar, it deconstructed after a while and the souls went missing. If I had to guess, they rotted while being part of the building, since they're mechanically plants. One built with a soul gem stuck around just fine.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 04:54:03 am »

If I had to guess, they rotted while being part of the building, since they're mechanically plants.

I don't know why, but I lol'd at reading this.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 09:28:15 pm »

More messing around, more observations:

It occurs to me that since souls rot in buildings, I don't really want to use them directly anyway. However, I still ended up with a barrel-free soul zone because I find it convenient to be able to see how many I've got.

The first undead I raise (ghoul or skeleton) after loading the game is always called Ilpi Blindsiege. I assume this is some kind of seed issue. Tath Hooddecay is also a very common name (3/16 so far), but I don't know if it's linked to anything specific (like being the second undead raised).

On that note, are skeletons supposed to be basically unusable unless you routinely feed them souls? Mine all become distracted with unmet needs pretty quick and only sporadically do stuff other than socializing in the tavern. Ghouls ironically seem to be much more dependable workers despite their abysmal skill gain, and I'm currently debating whether to keep making an undead fort or switch to the goblin bards I've got beating down my door to let them stay.

Related: I am both disappointed and amused that I can't really give my warlocks fancier attire than my skeletons, since the latter will go ahead and scoop up clothes to wear as well. I'm envisioning these as Army of Darkness style skellies more than something with dignity, so the idea of one strutting around in fancy silk trousers while a warlock fumes behind him is highly entertaining.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: [1] 2