Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [47.05] Warlocks: Soulforged v0.11 (Soulharvesting Necromancers)  (Read 5582 times)

DungeonCrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Crab blog?
Re: [47.05] Warlocks: Soulforged v0.11 (Soulharvesting Necromancers)
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2022, 03:30:36 am »

Looks neat, but I've noticed some oddities.

All my male warlocks are hundreds of years old and one of the first of their kind. All my females are ~30. This doesn't affect anything, but I'm curious how that'd happen.

"Release a prisoner" tasks don't actually produce a slave (and the male human one is available at the tannery for some reason). The task is completed and experience in Animal Care is gained, but nothing happens.

Similarly, calling caravans doesn't seem to work. Eats a soul, but no caravan.

Souls can't be used for construction while stored in barrels, so you need a separate food stockpile that only accepts souls and has max barrels at 0.

Once I created a necromantic altar, it deconstructed after a while and the souls went missing. If I had to guess, they rotted while being part of the building, since they're mechanically plants. One built with a soul gem stuck around just fine.

The male to female differentiation is... curious. I noted that as well and wasn't able to narrow down a cause.
Release a prisoner, I'll take a look at it but might just remove it in favor of increased stability as opposed to another spawnunit proc.
As for caravans, yeah that'll get pulled as well. With the changes to armies and caravans being actual world entities, it seems the dfhack command to call caravans isn't working.
Souls are finicky when they're not processed into soul gems. Soul gems don't rot and are usable even when stored in bins, though you may still run into some issues with how DF does jobs with bins, i.e. storing an item in a bin prevents any item in that bin from being used in any recipe until the storing is complete. The rotting destroying buildings thing is a feature, actually, and meant to encourage using soul gems as opposed to unprocessed souls for everything after your first altar.

More messing around, more observations:

It occurs to me that since souls rot in buildings, I don't really want to use them directly anyway. However, I still ended up with a barrel-free soul zone because I find it convenient to be able to see how many I've got.

The first undead I raise (ghoul or skeleton) after loading the game is always called Ilpi Blindsiege. I assume this is some kind of seed issue. Tath Hooddecay is also a very common name (3/16 so far), but I don't know if it's linked to anything specific (like being the second undead raised).

On that note, are skeletons supposed to be basically unusable unless you routinely feed them souls? Mine all become distracted with unmet needs pretty quick and only sporadically do stuff other than socializing in the tavern. Ghouls ironically seem to be much more dependable workers despite their abysmal skill gain, and I'm currently debating whether to keep making an undead fort or switch to the goblin bards I've got beating down my door to let them stay.

Related: I am both disappointed and amused that I can't really give my warlocks fancier attire than my skeletons, since the latter will go ahead and scoop up clothes to wear as well. I'm envisioning these as Army of Darkness style skellies more than something with dignity, so the idea of one strutting around in fancy silk trousers while a warlock fumes behind him is highly entertaining.

The naming thing is interesting... I haven't encountered that in my test worlds but will do some deeper digging. It might be linked to how spawnunit works with the seed- or it could be something with the custom language file.

Skeletons can usually go for a bit without distraction, but due to how the game treats intelligent undead there isn't a great solution to keeping them happy other than dfhacking their worries away. The Necromantic Obelisk reaction to fill needs for the whole map is good for this, but it is expensive- I'll look at rebalancing that. Similar for the clothing, since you can't assign civilian uniforms all your goods are free for grabbing by greedy skeletons when they're made. Fancy pants skeletons can be overcome by force assigning clothes to uniforms when the warlocks are in a military squad, but I understand that can be quite tedious.

Thekingofthehill

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2022, 11:53:26 am »

Hello, i was condering if there is a plan to have tileset link to this version of Warlocks mod ?

Have played the old one and had a lot of fun, but the base graphic is a bit too hard to get situated.

lunaman22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2022, 01:17:33 pm »

When dfhack eventually gets updated for the steam release, will you port it to the workshop?

DungeonCrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Crab blog?
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2022, 03:30:10 am »

I'll take a look and see if it's feasible to port to the workshop, I'll have to check out how the spriting works.
Pages: 1 [2]