Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Artifacts Thread  (Read 506 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
The Artifacts Thread
« on: June 29, 2022, 08:48:33 am »

Strange mood...
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Artifacts Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 09:30:48 am »

Obligatory: The Antikythera Mechanism. This thing is an irl ☼Mechanism☼ made 100 BCE used to compute the movement of stellar objects

On the bigger scale of artefacts, I present the helepolis. Featured in games like age of mythology, the helepolis or taker of cities was a monumental siege tower constructed from wood, iron and stone. Whereas many siege towers are depicted as just moving staircases to drop ramps on enemy walls (total war booooo), siege towers tended to be giant artillery pieces which provided cover for men below to raise their ladders onto the walls. Imo that's way cooler than a mere moving staircase. At any rate the helepolis was countered by clever usage of mud and captured by the Rhodians, who sold it to fund for the colossus of rhodes. The colossus of rhodes itself was an artefact worthy monument, but was toppled by an earthquake. Fearing divine wrath, the rhodians never repaired the colossus, and eventually the colossus would be melted down for bronze by arab conquerors, leaving no trace of the once great colossus. But we all know this is just a cover story to disguise the fact that the colossus of rhodes was destroyed by a dwarven magma cannon

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 05:10:34 am »

So which workshop did they clam to build something that big?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 07:46:44 pm »

So which workshop did they clam to build something that big?

The whole fort, maybe?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 10:41:52 pm »

The guojian is pretty cool. 2300 year old chemically treated sword so it isn't rusted

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 09:14:33 am »

The guojian is pretty cool. 2300 year old chemically treated sword so it isn't rusted
Arguably, it may have more to do with the scabbard.  But still an amazing piece, whether the sword, the scabbard, or more likely the combination are responsible.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 01:18:30 am »

I always figured a artifact sword would come with a artifact scabbard, so it must be both.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 02:35:11 pm »

Arguably, it may have more to do with the scabbard.  But still an amazing piece, whether the sword, the scabbard, or more likely the combination are responsible.
An artifact scabbard that perfectly preserves its sword is a pretty nice bait and switch for a TTRPG