Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange bumps on head; unsure what they are, would like help  (Read 2058 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Strange bumps on head; unsure what they are, would like help
« on: September 21, 2022, 09:02:35 am »

Hello, my fellow forumites. I've never really posted on this sub-forum before, but I come with a dilemma.

I've noticed three small (started at around a size somewhat bigger than a pea, I think?) lumps that have formed on my scalp recently, particularly one that formed on where my neck meets my scalp, and two bumps on the top of my head that have popped and bled, leaving them kinda crusty feeling. Whenever I got a visual on any of them, they all looked red in appearance, and the rubbery one kind of itches when pressed down on gently. All 3 are on the left side of my head, if that helps anything.

A strange thing I've noticed is that they seem to grow and shrink with the amount of sleep I've gotten. I had some good sleep the past few nights and the bumps went and had gone down in size. However, last night was different because I had somewhat less sleep, and it feels like they grew back, even if just by a bit. If any of you have any medical degrees or any medical know-how in regards to this, I would greatly appreciate it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Strange bumps on head; unsure what they are, would like help
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 04:03:44 pm »

Go see your doctor.  Could be Cancer, could be Bug Bites, could be Diabetes, could be something Da Internet can't solved. GO SEE DOCTOR.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 04:06:59 pm »

Alrighty then, I'll see what I can do.

although I did realize I forgot to mention, my family member (who I live with and who is also my transportation) thinks I'm being a hypochondriac and tells me he'll take me to the doctor if he thinks something serious is happening, so there's that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 04:29:52 pm by Asin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 09:42:36 pm »

I have, shall we say, a few skin issues that I've had looked into. Here's my experience.

Your general physician is most likely going to refer you to a dermatologist. Skin is complex. To give you an example. I have a persistent, random itch on my left side some nights, generally in the same spot. I'll feel an itch like I've been bitten, look down, see what kinda looks like a mosquito bite, that will get puffy and have very distinct edges....and then 15 minutes later it's gone. Fuckin' weird, right? Like my skin randomly deciding it's going to have a minor, localized allergic reaction. And yes, skin can respond to stress factors easily. I had a coworker I watched break out in hives during a really stressful situation for them.

The point is, how people's skin behaves is very closely tied to their genetics and there's a lot of things your skin can do (quite quickly actually) based on your genetics or other factors. So the answer of "what do these weird bumps that come out of nowhere come from" may be hard for them to speak to.

So what they'll want to do is biopsy one of these things, if they're able, to evaluate it. Skin growths can be lots of different kinds of cells. Not all of them are malignant.

A biopsy is usually done with an injection of a local anesthetic, so you don't feel them shave off and/or clip off a layer of skin. It leaves a pretty good scar depending on how they're doing it, and how much they need to sample. Average size of the area is like the eraser head of a pencil.

That may not even be necessary. Your doctor may have a better explanation of some special cells in the skin that can do weird, random things sometimes. But if you really wanna know, because it's not so major that you immediately sought a physician's opinion, they will all say the same thing "I can't tell you for sure just by looking at it." Whatever you're worried about has to be separated from you so it can studied, and I feel like that's worth letting you know about upfront. As a teen when I wanted to know about a permanent skin condition I have, it took a biopsy. (Which I never heard back about. Thanks, Dermatology.) As an adult who likes their time in the sun, I have some spots I wanted checked out. Also took biopsies. It's one of those things that doesn't occur to you at the time is a necessary part of finding out, but it is.

And don't be surprised if you get a shrug or a "that's very interesting...." because skin, complexion and skin reactions are actually pretty complicated. My brother has crazy reactive skin, to the point has to use steroid creams regularly to get his skin to calm down. I don't have his issues, but I have permanent marks on my skin where he doesn't.

Kinda sucks I know. I hope they have an easy answer that puts you at ease. But my general experience with dermatology is that they don't have a lot of answers for chronic skin stuff. They'll suggest it's something environmental you could try changing, because that is way cheaper and easier to try for the patient than biopsy. And a biopsy may tell them what it is but not why it happens.

Anyways, at the end of the day skin is weird and does its own things sometimes, including grow stuff. I wouldn't let it upset you too much, because part of dermatology thrives on people's insecurities about their looks. If they've burst and bled on their own though, yeah, that's something I would probably get checked out.

Re-reading your description, you might be dealing with Skin Tags. Which are just one of the many odd things your skin can do.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 11:07:10 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 10:39:58 pm »

No medical degrees, but buckets of experience with bug bites...

I am presuming the "pea-sized" area you mentioned refers more to a 2-dimensional area than a 3-dimensional area (where a 3-dimensional pea would be doctor-worthy). I am also presuming the bumps have only existed about 3 days, as aggravating a bug or spider bite can slow the healing down and it can still be swollen three days later.

Sleep doesn't effect bite swelling, but scratching and squeezing it does. Bites from blood-sucking bugs or angry spiders do not bleed unless you create a wound by digging into the skin with fingernails, and they will not "pop". The swelling is due to the immune systems activity and at most a little pus will leak at the bite location when you harshly squeeze the location.

If you think it is a bite that you caused to bleed by scratching it and trying to "pop" it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But also, because everyone needs to know this, google "lymph nodes neck" and look at the images. Then google "lymph nodes body" and look at those images. Lymph node swelling or discomfort is a certain sign you should see a doctor. There are lymph nodes near the neck/scalp border, but they are deep enough under the skin that you won't believe they are a bug bite.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 01:51:18 am »

This may be unrelated, but uh... sorta embarrassing really...

I've had this one "small" bump on my head for at least 5 years, probably longer.  It feels like it gets larger when I don't clean myself for a few days, but I'm not sure whether it actually recedes or just becomes less sensitive with regular hygiene.

It's almost directly on top of my head, slightly to the right, and thoroughly covered by how I part my hair.  still... it's always been rather sensitive to the touch.  I used to worry about it but now I don't.  I even asked my brother to look at it once, and he couldn't find it, so maybe it's no big deal.

as long as I have hair, anyway.  (I have a LOT of hair for 36, I pray that continues)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 01:25:08 am »

I've had this one "small" bump on my head for at least 5 years, probably longer.

I have these types of bumps too. I am a little scared of shaving my head and maybe everybody sees em!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 11:32:25 am »

I'm reasonably sure that I won't have hair to hide my scalp in the the future....

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 12:14:12 am »

See physician, probably get given to dermatology. Avoid itching or scratching. This will likely not help.

Are these areas covered by your hair or exposed to the sun?

Could be any number of things: cyst, tumor (possibly benign), allergic reaction, nonhealing scab if you have diabetes.

If diabetes, physician may address several things including diet and glucose monitoring.
If tumor, testing and treatment.
If cyst, possibly removal procedure, including drainage and removal of internal cyst sack, if any.
If allergic reaction, treatment for that. Stress might play greater role if it is this.

There are really a lot of things  it could be. Might be nothing, might be something but the only one who can tell you is a doctor....