Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)  (Read 29414 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2022, 12:52:13 pm »

Decided to go with a Seneschal. If we're going to be exploring and trading and consorting with xenos, we'll need someone with brains and cunning. I have neither, but alas :P

I'm just having a devil of a time trying to figure out how to actually build a seneschal without stepping on the toes of other characters. Which I guess is somewhat the point.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2022, 01:09:36 pm »

@A1s

Since there are two RTs your backstories should have a reason for your alliance. I'd suggest one but since neither of you have backstories yet there isn't much I can connect :-/. You both have wintery names so a familial relationship wouldn't seem weird.
(how does that even work? do we get 2 ships?)
No, Maximum Spin seems to know what they are doing more than I do (and should get to be the RT). I will create a new character. Let's see, we got a tank, a speaker, I will be a mage.

You would get one ship to start with (though like normal you can get more ships later if you want to). How authority would be split would depend on your backstory. If one of you saved the other's life or something it could be an unequal partnership where one owns the ship and the other serves them to pay off the debt. Normally you would expect authority to be split between the two more or less equally if the situation was something like two weak houses allying to increase the strength of both. In cases where there are more than two you would expect some kind of council where the powers are shared among all present RTs. Or we can have an additional NPC RT who you both owe fealty too. The game is made so you can play with any number of RTs (though if you have 0 you'd probably make an NPC RT).

The book does say you can give RTs multiple ships if you want to in the "What if you have more than one RT" section I guess.

Anyway if you pick up a mage equivalent you'll probably want to skim through Navis Primer.

Decided to go with a Seneschal. If we're going to be exploring and trading and consorting with xenos, we'll need someone with brains and cunning. I have neither, but alas :P

I'm just having a devil of a time trying to figure out how to actually build a seneschal without stepping on the toes of other characters. Which I guess is somewhat the point.

Don't worry too much about anyone else's builds. We'll figure it out whatever you choose to do.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2022, 01:18:04 pm »

((Don't worry about stepping on my toes. overlap, at least in my case, will only give us synergy.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2022, 03:22:35 pm »

Hey, Stirk, my book seems to say 2 things in different places and I'm not sure what to believe.
Page 157 says Astropath Transcendent starts with Telepathy discipline and the Astro-Telepathy Technique.
but on page 49 there is no mention of that.
Do I need to buy it or don't I?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2022, 03:43:43 pm »

Hey, Stirk, my book seems to say 2 things in different places and I'm not sure what to believe.
Page 157 says Astropath Transcendent starts with Telepathy discipline and the Astro-Telepathy Technique.
Found it, you do not need to buy it, look on page 72 under Astropath Transcendent Special Abilities. subsection "psychic powers"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2022, 03:52:47 pm »

I rolled for my stats, they turned out pretty well I think (toughness aside)! I do have a screenshot of the rolls along with timestamps that I can provide on request.

Decided to lean into the "spymaster" part of the career and went heavy on Peers. Maybe too heavy. Don't know!

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fluff (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 05:03:45 pm by Sirus »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2022, 04:03:53 pm »

Found it, you do not need to buy it, look on page 72 under Astropath Transcendent Special Abilities. subsection "psychic powers"
Right. Didn't read that far :P. But I do need to pay for the 2 techniques I "may select", right?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2022, 04:08:37 pm »

I'm trying to sort out an acquisition but I'm not sure what's valid. Is it "base rarity of Average or lower", or is it "could have a rarity of Average if in a large enough settlement"?
(I think you use Table 9-35 on page 272, short answer: things with common quality can have base rarity of extremely rare if you're only getting them for yourself)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Rouge Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2022, 04:52:56 pm »

Updated sheet. My item is a box of Expander Rounds.
I chose to use point buy.
Spoiler: Regina Winters (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backstory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 06:28:45 pm by a1s »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2022, 05:33:05 pm »

Okay wow, I wasn't even looking in that part of the book. I was stuck in the Armory section.

I'll take a personal stash of Plasma grenades. My understanding from Dark Heresy is that the best way for non-combatants to contribute in a fight is to start chucking grenades!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2022, 06:03:30 pm »

Might make a Combatant. Or just PTW.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2022, 06:45:34 pm »

I decided to Acquire an inferno pistol.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2022, 10:53:55 pm »

I rolled for my stats, they turned out pretty well I think (toughness aside)! I do have a screenshot of the rolls along with timestamps that I can provide on request.

Decided to lean into the "spymaster" part of the career and went heavy on Peers. Maybe too heavy. Don't know!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks good! Just need fluffy stuff now.

Right. Didn't read that far :P. But I do need to pay for the 2 techniques I "may select", right?

Correct.

Okay wow, I wasn't even looking in that part of the book. I was stuck in the Armory section.

I'll take a personal stash of Plasma grenades. My understanding from Dark Heresy is that the best way for non-combatants to contribute in a fight is to start chucking grenades!

Also correct! Grenades have a chance to hit even when you miss thanks to having Blast. Essentially since grenades will be 1d5 meters away from the target, you have Blast/5 chance to hit with a  missed grenade. This does mean that plasma grenades are non-ideal for the intent, since they only have a blast of 1 they're likely to miss compared to a frag grenade with a blast of 4.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2022, 11:04:22 pm »

While the part about the blast radius is true enough, frag grenades are far more common than plasma grenades and we'd probably be able to acquire a good supply relatively easily in the course of play. To me it seems like a waste of an acquisition, taking something like that, unless I feel like grabbing enough frag grenades for 100+ soldiers.

I guess I could acquire something else, I'm just not sure what yet. Will give the rulebooks another look tomorrow.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2022, 11:15:01 pm »

While the part about the blast radius is true enough, frag grenades are far more common than plasma grenades and we'd probably be able to acquire a good supply relatively easily in the course of play. To me it seems like a waste of an acquisition, taking something like that, unless I feel like grabbing enough frag grenades for 100+ soldiers.

I guess I could acquire something else, I'm just not sure what yet. Will give the rulebooks another look tomorrow.

You could get a grenade launcher too, so you have some killing range beyond throwing distance.

Or make them best quality removing the whole "There is a .4 chance it explodes and kills you instead" thing that worries some people.

Or you could just get plasma grenades like you planned.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 11:29:25 pm by Stirk »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47