Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)  (Read 29401 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2022, 01:04:31 am »

Hey, Lenglon, both our characters were Tainted (admittedly my taint is purely intellectual) and Press-ganged (again, you seem to win the "whose life was worse" game) and are motivated by Endurance. Want to bond over this fact? ;)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2022, 11:05:03 pm »

We're probably good to start talking about ships now. Last two maybe players should change PF much.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2022, 11:46:34 pm »

I have quite a bit (a lot) of RT experience so I'm actually curious how the characters are looking so far. One each of Astropath, Arch-Militant, Rogue Trader, Seneschal?

I could also also answer questions a bit later if there's any remaining.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2022, 11:51:46 pm »

I have quite a bit (a lot) of RT experience so I'm actually curious how the characters are looking so far. One each of Astropath, Arch-Militant, Rogue Trader, Seneschal?

Do you wanna play?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2022, 12:56:57 am »

Hey, Lenglon, both our characters were Tainted (admittedly my taint is purely intellectual) and Press-ganged (again, you seem to win the "whose life was worse" game) and are motivated by Endurance. Want to bond over this fact? ;)
Really might actually. Indaria would have mixed feelings about Regina's psycher status, some wariness because she knows exactly how bad it can get, but not the automatic rejection others have. , and she sympathizes with being outcast.

Do you wanna play?
JOIN UUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSS
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2022, 10:31:08 am »

Will you be rolling for the warp transition stuff from the core book? You know, the mechanics that more or less beg for a Warpsbane Hull and/or a Navigator.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2022, 10:43:08 am »

Will you be rolling for the warp transition stuff from the core book? You know, the mechanics that more or less beg for a Warpsbane Hull and/or a Navigator.

We will be rolling the warp transition stuff using the Navis Primer. Though we will have an NPC in the navi roll if nobody picks it.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2022, 11:14:21 am »

I see. After a bit of thought I think I'll sit this one out.
>Yes?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2022, 07:14:11 pm »

Always room if you change your mind later.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2022, 01:37:19 pm »

Even if I don't join, may I suggest that you don't actually roll the whole thing for Warp travel rules unless you get a Navigator? The chances for mishap tend to be far too high since they've been created assuming you have a character built for navigation taking over those duties.
>Yes?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2022, 11:17:14 pm »

Even if I don't join, may I suggest that you don't actually roll the whole thing for Warp travel rules unless you get a Navigator? The chances for mishap tend to be far too high since they've been created assuming you have a character built for navigation taking over those duties.

I want to give a feel of danger and uncertainty to the Warp, so I wanna use the warp travel rules. Like I said I'll send an NPC to do it if you don't have one.

Spoiler: Sample Navi NPC (click to show/hide)

^Above would be non-canon example. The general idea is to have a moderately competent Navi who would stay out of the way and easily retire if someone actually wanted to play one.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2022, 11:35:01 pm »

I think the problem is that the warp is unavoidable and can cause cummulative permanant damage to characters, punishing them for literally nothing, or basically just for playing the game. If there was a PC navigator that is interacting with it it'd be different because then it'd be interactive, but as things are it's just *your character gets corrupted/goes insane because fuck you that's why*, and the only way to avoid that would be to just not play the game. If you modified the warp rules to make it where the permanent insanity/corruption comes from bad decisions instead of the dice deciding you don't get to have fun, then I think Cael's concerns would be aleviated. Like, dealing with the ship being boarded by warp critters that can cause insanity/corruption, that's something the players can interact with and make moves to counteract or limit them. The dice getting to say "you go insane now / haha corruption go brrrr* is not the player's fault and is just undeserved and unavoidable punishment.

Do I understand it correctly Cael?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2022, 07:26:44 pm »

I think the problem is that the warp is unavoidable and can cause cummulative permanant damage to characters, punishing them for literally nothing, or basically just for playing the game. If there was a PC navigator that is interacting with it it'd be different because then it'd be interactive, but as things are it's just *your character gets corrupted/goes insane because fuck you that's why*, and the only way to avoid that would be to just not play the game. If you modified the warp rules to make it where the permanent insanity/corruption comes from bad decisions instead of the dice deciding you don't get to have fun, then I think Cael's concerns would be aleviated. Like, dealing with the ship being boarded by warp critters that can cause insanity/corruption, that's something the players can interact with and make moves to counteract or limit them. The dice getting to say "you go insane now / haha corruption go brrrr* is not the player's fault and is just undeserved and unavoidable punishment.

That really shouldn't be an issue barring an unexpectedly dedicated group of players. It could reasonably take over a year to reach notable corruption levels unless you really go whole hog into Chaos, given that a single reasonably sized firefight could take a month in PBP. You can buyoff Insanity for 100 EXP a point and if it ever ends up mattering I can make similar rules for Corruption.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2022, 07:56:15 pm »

More or less that. It's like, 40k can be slightly unfair and Fate Points might end up being burned just to survive during some unlucky or climactic situations, but tabletop RPGs are a contract. I've played 40k RPGs for several years and been through many, many games including two times as the Rogue Trader, doing a lot if not most of the number-crunching and note-keeping. I'm familiar with basically all systems and can remember quite a few off the top of my head, and I'm also aware of the ones that just don't work very well.

And honestly part of why it's iffy for me is because it actually breaks me a bit out of the setting since the game's systems make warp travel more dangerous than in the lore.

In general, though, it was just a suggestion. It was good to check though, so at least other players are aware of how things are gonna go.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 08:37:58 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2022, 08:41:23 pm »

That really shouldn't be an issue barring an unexpectedly dedicated group of players.
I've got a history of being a long-lasting player in games that interest me
Also, I recognize several others here as long-running players as well (Egan) (Cael). So I would actually expect your endurance as GM to be the limiting factor, rather than the player's endurance. GMing always has a much heavier workload after all. In any case, with this player group you actually could easily end up with exactly that kind of dedicated group of players. If you're up for running it for that long anyway.
It could reasonably take over a year to reach notable corruption levels unless you really go whole hog into Chaos, given that a single reasonably sized firefight could take a month in PBP. You can buyoff Insanity for 100 EXP a point and if it ever ends up mattering I can make similar rules for Corruption.
The system's not a big deal for me at this time because I don't have the personal experience with the game, your GMing style, and the story you're planning that would be necessary to know how much it's going to be a factor and how good or bad it actually is, so unless it's completely ridiculous then I don't personally care all that much right now. I was just trying to put myself into Cael's shoes and to try to understand their position. I personally have every intention of staying no matter your decision on the matter.

And honestly part of why it's iffy for me is because it actually breaks me a bit out of the setting since the game's systems make warp travel more dangerous than in the lore.
That last part you haven't expanded on all that much, but you have repeated it and emphasized it, so it seems like it's a major immersion-breaker for you. I do find it odd how the warp can be as rough to use for travel as it seems to be in the ruleset and yet have it still be the primary method used when other methods do exist in-universe. For example there's some safe shielded warp paths the eldar leave laying around that most imperial ships avoid because they take about twice as long as the more turbulant, freeform, warp travel. There also is the tau method of interstellar travel, which again most imperials hold in contempt. And there's even the simple fact that many imperial ships do not take the calmest path between A and B in the warp, again opting for speed and some turbulence over the safe path. If every time they did this they were increasing their travel risks as substantially as it seems to in the game rules, I don't see how that would the the normal decisions people would make. Hell, there's supposed to be individuals that are lifelong spacers, how would these literal children survive repeated warp trips over and over long enough for them to grow up? If it was truly as dangerous to use warp travel as listed in those rules, then the imperium would have broken down long ago due to logistics failure.

Again, this is my best guess as to what the long-form of Cael's concerns are. I do think it's a valid argument, I don't personally find it compelling enough to deter me, but I'm attempting to voice and sympathize with them, largely because I've enjoyed the games I've played with Cael, and respect their judgement quite a lot. As a result if the concerns were alleviated and Cael felt like joining in, I'd be delighted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 47