Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts Thread  (Read 722 times)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
Kingdom Hearts Thread
« on: July 01, 2022, 07:11:38 am »

"May your heart be your guiding Key."

A thread of discussion about Kingdom Hearts: news, analyses, current released games, lore, theories, and of course, memes.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom Hearts Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 11:15:21 am »

I wanted to like this series.

First game had a bunch of popular FF characters, deep lore that hinted at big reveals yet to come, and a post-game that rivaled the best of it's time.

Second game improved greatly on the action side of combat, and expanded the lore in new if confusing directions.

Then they released spin-off games on a million different platforms, making it impossible to keep up with the story short of watching a 400-hour recap video on youtube; which I did.

Third game made it abundantly clear that whoever is writing for this series has given up on trying to maintain any sort of sensible plot, instead just throwing around made up terms whose meaning changes constantly to plug up whatever massive plot hole is currently leaking. And combat balance is nonexistent thanks to the inclusion of an "I win" button that can be pressed at any time to play a cinematic of Disney characters dancing across the screen and obliterating any enemies effortlessly. No sign of any FF characters ever making a return.

At this point I'm not even interested in whatever the fourth game is going to be.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
Re: Kingdom Hearts Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 12:32:07 pm »

In my elementary and middle school games, I used to love Kingdom Hearts. I still like it, but only in the sense of attempting keeping track of its crazy nonsensical plot and story elements; oh, and the music as well.

I would still highly regard Kingdom Hearts if I liked the action-game genre, but my gaming interest changed toward grand strategy games. The chance of Kingdom Hearts of ever doing a grand strategy spinoff is next-to 0.00001%. If I had the modding experience and the time, I'd maybe attempt to make a Kingdom Hearts mod for Crusader Kings 2/3, but as suggested, I don't really have the time to do such a thing.

I don't think spinoffs are inherently bad, especially when its new content to between mainline games, but the Kingdom Hearts franchise dropped the ball by putting most of the spinoffs in mobile consoles, and then later on, mobile phones. They should have just initially released games on the current mainline PlayStation console, as to not stretch thin the IP to those increasingly defunct mobile game consoles.

Square Enix/Disney learned their lesson eventually, releasing those big compilation "in 1-Disk" games, but the damage had already been done.

And I know Japan is super into mobile phone gaming... but even in the knowledge of that, I can't accept Square Enix doing such a stupid decision as putting the most important lore of the franchise.. into a gacha app game that you have to do daily quests just to MAYBE see lore content appear. The whole situation is really stupid and they seem hellbent in continuing this design paradigm of hinging important background lore into these mobile games.

lol