Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to dig holes  (Read 1888 times)

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to dig holes
« on: July 01, 2022, 08:03:23 pm »

I'm setting up my magma forges, which will need a 1x1 hole in the ground right underneath the forge. I'd prefer if the hole didn't contain a ramp.

Without digging into the sides of the hole, is there a way to remove the ramp from inside it before I pour the magma?
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: How to dig holes
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 10:04:16 pm »

My method is to dig out the magma channel with a miner, as if it were a normal fortress hallway, then have that miner leave the magma channel, and have a gravity feed lock and several magma-safe locked doors between the fort and the magma channel he dug out. If you're digging it from above, though, you're going to get a ramp. It's a question of planning, and of where you intend that magma to come from, and so on.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 02:48:35 pm »

Drop a miner in the hole and have them remove the ramp before they can climb back up? Might need temporary floor hatch.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 09:14:36 pm »

What Bumber says... The dwarf will climb out after a day or three.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 08:09:57 pm »

If you're in a rush, and want a single 1x1 clean hole with magma in it, just equip the unfortunate miner with a copper pick, and everything will disappear before too long.  I usually just dig a maintenance tunnel and build walls around each magma well location, eventually re-purposing the area into weapons storage or something, so the tunnels don't go unused forever.

Spoiler: Magma forge wells (click to show/hide)

Haikon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 11:19:13 pm »

Building constructions on ramp tiles destroys the ramp. So you could build an up stairway out of, like, plum tree wood, and then designate that construction for removal. I think that would work(?)

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 06:27:36 am »

Constructed staris can be removed from the top.
Most of the time the shortest path will make the dwarf stand at the right place for deconstruction. Perhaps lock some doors or build a temporary wall to force it.
You will first have to designated the lowest part of the stair and after that is finished the top part. Never expect your dwarfs to get this right or there will be accidents.