Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any idea what these weird symbols are?  (Read 1502 times)

Stelladog

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently at large
    • View Profile
Any idea what these weird symbols are?
« on: July 23, 2022, 01:00:00 am »

When I look at my fortress, I see ≥ and ≤ symbols littering the ground, yet when i loo(k) at them, the game claims there's nothing there. I'm pretty sure those symbols are supposed to represent body parts; This is a reclaimed fortress and a lot of the former inhabitants did get chopped to bits, and the symbols cluster around places where I know a lot of dwarves died. The thing that's confusing me is why they're still there -- they even persist after the tile updates (when a dwarf passes over, for example). I'm using Gemset.

Sorry for not including pictures -- to be perfectly honest i'm new to forums in general and I couldn't figure out how  :-[

Stelladog

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently at large
    • View Profile
Re: Any idea what these weird symbols are?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 01:14:09 am »

Okay, problem solved, actually. It turns out smoothing the stone removes the symbol. Doesn't help with the ones on the stairs, but oh well. Better than nothing

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 01:31:10 am »

Debris (spent ammo, ballista bolts, and catapult stones),
Did you hav any fighting there?

This page claims they'll clean it up if they hav the labor enabled nothing else to do.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 01:39:18 am by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 03:07:26 am »

Sorry for not including pictures -- to be perfectly honest i'm new to forums in general and I couldn't figure out how  :-[

First, find yourself an image hosting site.  I use postimages.org, but any site will do. 

Next, upload the image to the image hosting site and copy the url of a direct link to the image to your clipboard (in postimages.org, you'll want to click the "share" button which will bring up a page with a bunch of text boxes.  Copy the contents ot the one that says "Direct link:"). 

Next, go back to where you are making (or editing) your post to the forums and place the cursor where you want the image to be.  Then click the button in the lower row of the toolbar that looks like a picture (it's the first one in the row).  This will insert a pair of [img] tags into the text.  Move your cursor to the point in between the two tags and paste the url that you copied earlier.  The image should now show up in the post. 

Additionally, you may want to include "width" and/or "height" attributes in the opening tag (e.g. [img width=800].  This will resize the image to the desired size (if you specify only one of the two, the other will be calculated automatically based on the aspect ratio of the image) and people viewing your post can expand the image to it's full size by clicking on it.

Hope that helps!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 06:32:09 am »

It looks like the marks that are left behind when ammo (arrows or bolts) hit the ground. This destroys the missiles.
Those markings would disappear when smoothed.
You cannot smooth stone again. If you want to repair snoothed stonem you would have to build something like a statue on it, remove the statue and then smooth the stone again. The removing of a building will revert the stone back to its original state.