Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 64

Author Topic: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Game Over!  (Read 34885 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Day 1: Bwuk Bwuk Little Chickens
« Reply #165 on: July 11, 2022, 11:09:25 am »

MaximumSpin - I've never been able to read him and seldom find him useful before D3.
Incidentally (taking this at face value)... I've been trying to make more of an effort to be useful earlier, especially since being the n1 kill last game. I look forward to probably being the n1 kill this game too.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 11, 2022, 11:41:46 am »

NJW2000 - Why should or shouldn't I vote Shakerag after the incredible, absolutely amazing, case that FoU just made?
It's a weak case, so I think more people should vote Shakerag, to make the case stronger.
More people voting != stronger case.  That just means you have more people voting on flimsy reasons which looks bandwagon-y.  A stronger case is made by providing additional (and good) reasons to vote someone.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #167 on: July 11, 2022, 12:15:46 pm »

I just want to touch base and alert I'm at a Mall IRL right now (posting this via mobile). I'll review the thread and post my thoughts on what's been posted so far in a few hours. Hopefully by then the D1 vote will be decided.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 11, 2022, 01:20:38 pm »

This is sad, but I guess you leave me no choice Max.
Here is why Max should be today's lynch:
Often, when two town players are spatting, a scum player will appear to butt in and egg them on in order to get chummy with one of the two and distance from the other. Under this analysis, Fallacy is the most likely to be scum. On the other hand, often, if that doesn't happen, a scum player will pick a fight with a town player and try to rope in another town player into the same kind of three-way. By that analysis, it's more likely to be Shakerag, although I wouldn't rule out Egan. In general, if I see three players in a runaround like that, I always suspect there's exactly one scum involved, who's trying to generate some interactions to make you think one of the others is also aligned with him in case something happens to out him later. I know for a fact that Fallacy, at least, knows how to do that since I've seen him do it; but I certainly figure the other two could do it as well.

But that's really secondary... the real point of any post you might make on d1 is to see how people react to it, and frankly, I don't believe Lenglon doesn't know what I just said in that paragraph above. I guess I could see NJW as a partner, although it's kind of a stretch, and I don't really think I'm important enough to be a coordinated d1 scum push, so his vote on me actually acts to counteract that suspicion... although I guess that could be the point but, you know, not going to get too in the weeds right now. Lenglon has also been fishing and generally acting pretty scummy, so I'm pretty sure this is where my d1 vote is going to sit.

(Extra beginner mafia tip: I, personally, always find "analysis" to be a scumtell. What I mean is, scum will often try to make cases that don't really make much sense by appealing to a cloud of little details that can vaguely be made to sound bad, to try to make people doubt their intuitions. I think the last person I clearly remember doing this is ToonyMan, who's not in this game and therefore a nice neutral referent. On the other hand, this can also be a crutch of a player who isn't very good and doesn't have much social intuition, so you kind of have to balance it with other observations of the player. I put appeals to statistics in the same category as well.)
This is.... strange.

On the face of things, it's a pretty blatent OMGUS vote, and it's a very large response to a very small accusation, combined with ALMOST actually addressing what I accused Max of, but not quite. Which is an amusingly large combined set of scumtells for a veteran player to have. There is one (and only one) mitigating factor in his response that is leaving me with a few doubts. And that factor is a little complicated. Let me explain:

When I made my accusation of Max here:
By the way: there's probably one scum among Fallacy, Shakerag, Egan.
Max - I really dislike this post. It looks to me like setup to attempt to say X was town, so Y should be scum, later on down the line. And in the short term you're basically just egging them on to infight, without getting yourself bogged down by taking an actual position on who is scum. I really just do not see how, be you right or wrong, you are helping anyone but the mafia here. I'm only using FoS because Tric (who my vote is currently on) has yet to post since game start, the moment that Tric shows up, you can expect to see your name in red over this post if something doesn't change. Justify yourself please.
I pointed out that there was no town-friendly purpose to his statement, and said lack of town-friendly purpose was the reason for my accusation. (which, to reiterate, is me pointing out "you may or may not be right, but attempting to make a point of this only hurts town.) In his rebuttal, he instead gave reasons he thought his statement might statistically be likely true, which still doesn't actually explain how making that accusation helps town, nor what the purpose of the statement actually was. To my eyes, this kind of deflection is a sign that he doesn't have an actual response to the accusation, and is a significant scumtell. However, as I said, there is one little piece of this jigsaw puzzle here that doesn't fit quite right.

That little bit that doesn't fit right is the advice in the parenthesis at the bottom of his post. You see, he spends an entire paragraph at the top explaining how statistically he was likely right, but at the bottom he calls his own behavior:
(Extra beginner mafia tip: I, personally, always find "analysis" to be a scumtell. What I mean is, scum will often try to make cases that don't really make much sense by appealing to a cloud of little details that can vaguely be made to sound bad, to try to make people doubt their intuitions. I think the last person I clearly remember doing this is ToonyMan, who's not in this game and therefore a nice neutral referent. On the other hand, this can also be a crutch of a player who isn't very good and doesn't have much social intuition, so you kind of have to balance it with other observations of the player. I put appeals to statistics in the same category as well.)
a scumtell. Max isn't stupid. He knows he did this. So now I'm confused. I don't quite get WHY he would do this. It doesn't help him as town, but it also doesn't help him as scum. It's just... strange.

Anyway, I guess I'll go ahead and post my intended follow-up accusations of him that I hinted at when asking Web about ISO tools. It's fairly droll though. He simply isn't actually scumhunting... at all.
Why do I say this? Here's a compilation of every post he's made since game start:
What you see contains a simple, and very dissatisfying, common thread: he has no interest in trying to find scum. He doesn't ask questions. He doesn't interact with people. He's not willing to be involved in any actual conversation. His closest thing to it is when he says "Hey you three go fight each other while I watch from this safe corner over here" (aka the post I voted him for). Even when he makes his only vote of the game thus far, he acompanies it with "I'm pretty sure this is where my d1 vote is going to sit." - or to put it differently, he is building an excuse for himself to not scumhunt for the rest of D1 either. He really just doesn't have any interest in finding the mafia.

I didn't really want to have to make a proper lynch case out of this, but wow was his response to pressure bad.

anyway, I should probably address the accusations he tossed out there with the OMGUS shouldn't I?

In his counter-accusation, he accused me a three things:
1) I should already know the reasoning he used. - This is asking me to be a mind reader, which is silly, and is assuming what he said applied back when I last played. Which it did not. As I said in my conversation with Shake, when I last played was back during extend-spam. Scum would almost never jump in on a fight like he's describing, because activity is the scum's enemy. There was no need to go out of your way to get into a spat with townies, especially the active ones which were likely to have the inattentive ones blindly follow them in a bandwagon. Doing that kind of thing was an easy way to get yourself lynched, and as a result to MY eyes, the spat between Shake and Egan makes them both more towny. and at the time of Max's contentious post, FoU hadn't really been a signifigant participant yet, and was a non-factor. So to me this logic of Max's is a way to try to set up chain-lynches of townie after townie, saying "well one of em's gotta be scum right?"

2) he accused me of fishing. This is actually a CORRECT accusation. I have made a couple minor fishing attempts, and deserve the pushback for it. specifically I fished Shake, which Shake correctly identified when I did it. My reason for doing so is to set up for later in the game, and also it gave me some insight into his likely alignment. I don't feel the need to go further into this at this time.

3) his final accusation is of "generally acting pretty scummy" - which is so vague as to be meaningless. specifics and examples would be lovely, but in the meantime I have no reason to bother addressing something this vague.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 11, 2022, 01:30:12 pm »

EBWOP: In my compilation of Max's posts, I missed his most recent one:
MaximumSpin - I've never been able to read him and seldom find him useful before D3.
Incidentally (taking this at face value)... I've been trying to make more of an effort to be useful earlier, especially since being the n1 kill last game. I look forward to probably being the n1 kill this game too.
It doesn't change my case in any way, there's still no scumhunting here.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 11, 2022, 03:08:28 pm »

I’m gonna wait for Max to respond so I can see both sides of the argument before I give my two cents

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 11, 2022, 03:20:35 pm »

I pointed out that there was no town-friendly purpose to his statement, and said lack of town-friendly purpose was the reason for my accusation. (which, to reiterate, is me pointing out "you may or may not be right, but attempting to make a point of this only hurts town.) In his rebuttal, he instead gave reasons he thought his statement might statistically be likely true, which still doesn't actually explain how making that accusation helps town, nor what the purpose of the statement actually was. To my eyes, this kind of deflection is a sign that he doesn't have an actual response to the accusation, and is a significant scumtell. However, as I said, there is one little piece of this jigsaw puzzle here that doesn't fit quite right.
... how the fuck does the accusation being right not help town? The point of the game is to find scum and lynch them. If scum are found, and lynched, this helps town.

I'm hunting you, dumbass

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2022, 03:21:54 pm »

I’m gonna wait for Max to respond so I can see both sides of the argument before I give my two cents
What about the question I asked you earlier?

Also, what are your thoughts about Shakerag vs Egan?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2022, 03:27:17 pm »

Look, Lenglon, obviously you aren't familiar with my playstyle. I've had this same problem before with just about everyone else.
I don't ask people dumb questions. Ever. It's a waste of time pretending to be generating activity. Unfortunately, most of the people who could usually vouch for this aren't playing, so go read some of my first few games or something.
I don't answer questions I think are a waste of time, either.
I don't respond to arguments I think are disingenuous or trivial.
I look for someone who looks like scum, and put my vote on scum. That's how I scumhunt. If you think I'm failing, find me someone who looks more like scum than you do... but I think you're just blowing smoke.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2022, 03:36:26 pm »

I don't think that's a good one to hang on to.  Even if you think the question is a waste of time, I probably do not, and refusing to answer wouldn't make me think positively of you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2022, 03:40:22 pm »

FallacyofUrist - 2 - Egan_BW*,
Egan - You appear to have two votes. Impressive. What do you plan to do with this power?

Murderize scum and be fabulous.

I don't think that Fallacy is scum, though. Unvote.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 11, 2022, 03:41:59 pm »

I can confirm from my readings that Max is usually this unhelpful regardless of alignment.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 11, 2022, 03:46:22 pm »

I don't think that's a good one to hang on to.  Even if you think the question is a waste of time, I probably do not, and refusing to answer wouldn't make me think positively of you.
Well, I answered all the questions I remember noticing this time. Did I miss any?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 11, 2022, 03:47:40 pm »

... how the fuck does the accusation being right not help town? The point of the game is to find scum and lynch them. If scum are found, and lynched, this helps town.
You aren't this stupid, so stop pretending that you can't read. I've explained this twice already, I have no need to bother humoring you a third time.
I'm hunting you, dumbass
And other obvious lies. Do you honestly think I or anyone else is impressed with your "case" on me?
Look, Lenglon, obviously you aren't familiar with my playstyle. I've had this same problem before with just about everyone else.
I don't ask people dumb questions. Ever. It's a waste of time pretending to be generating activity. Unfortunately, most of the people who could usually vouch for this aren't playing, so go read some of my first few games or something.
I don't respond to arguments I think are disingenuous or trivial.
I look for someone who looks like scum, and put my vote on scum. That's how I scumhunt. If you think I'm failing, find me someone who looks more like scum than you do... but I think you're just blowing smoke.
I don't think you're failing (though I do think you're flailing). I think you aren't even trying. Failing would be if you try to find scum and either mis-identify town or come up with a giant load of null. You aren't failing, because you aren't trying in the first place. Stop making excuses, stop active-lurking, and instead get off your ass and participate.

Hey people: look at Max still continuing the pattern even after I called him out on it. The only person he is engaging with is me, and that's because the only thing he cares about is saving his own skin, not finding scum. Hey Max, you want me off your back? Actually try to find the mafia. It's not complicated. You just can't do it because you already know who they are, and you're one of them. You already know in the back of your head that what you're seeing from various players is not a scumtell.

PPE:
I can confirm from my readings that Max is usually this unhelpful regardless of alignment.
Wait what? So he just afk's all D1 every game? ...
Shakerag: can you verify that Max is always this worthless regardless of alignment?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 11, 2022, 03:52:51 pm »

You aren't this stupid, so stop pretending that you can't read. I've explained this twice already, I have no need to bother humoring you a third time.
Okay, let me be clearer. I think your argument is retarded and obviously wrong, so I'm not going to pay any more attention to it.
This is a beginner's mafia game. There is obviously a town-friendly purpose to pointing out patterns for beginners to notice them. You just flatly assert "there's no town-friendly purpose to it!" without any basis, why should I give that any value? If you can't see the town-friendly purpose, that's your problem.

And other obvious lies. Do you honestly think I or anyone else is impressed with your "case" on me?
Yes, I think most people can see what you're doing even without my pointing it out. Maybe I give them too much credit. Of course, I don't care about impressing you, as I don't expect you to vote for yourself.

To be sure, I don't know whether others will vote for you this turn, but I'm sure they'll all remember this later, when it counts.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 64