Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 64

Author Topic: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Game Over!  (Read 34895 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Day 2: Pecking Orders
« Reply #645 on: July 17, 2022, 02:26:15 pm »

Right, here comes the slog and the massive back and forth trying to take each other down. Frankly I'm not the most confident my abilities here, but I'll do my best.

One thing I want to note straight away is that there's a difference between 'not doing x' and 'opposite of x'.

NJW2000 was not saying 'FoU isn't scumhunting', he was not saying 'FoU is scumhunting'. Refusing to acknowledge positive points is different than asserting their opposite.

In any case I now need to make another mega post with all the replies and such to what's already been said.

Then another one for the NJW-Lenglon Day 1 scuffles.

Then another one for Shakerag.

Long deep sigh. Alright, let's get on with it.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 17, 2022, 02:57:36 pm »

NJW2000 was not saying 'FoU isn't scumhunting', he was not saying 'FoU is scumhunting'. Refusing to acknowledge positive points is different than asserting their opposite.
I honestly do not understand why it is so important to you that he say that.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 17, 2022, 03:00:07 pm »

It’s a fairly safe assumption that at least one of the scum voted Egan, who was town.

Excluding me, and Lenglon, this leaves TricMagic*, Maximum Spin*, FallacyofUrist*, and Shakerag. At least one of these are scum. I would suspect fallacy due to the suspicious reaction to Egan’s joking about them being scum, and the fact that when I voted them, they sounded rather panicked until I explained myself. As well, they were the other major voting target.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 17, 2022, 03:30:43 pm »

[1] You see why I complain about people not reading my posts? I don't make that many, it's not hard.

[2] And again, with someone preemptively going "NJW is going to represent my points, boo-hoo!". This game is tedious.
[1] It seems to me like you're unhappy people aren't reading your posts the way you want them to, not in general.

[2] Given you pulled a bunch of your usual tricks again, yes, I think I'm justified in complaining.

I mean, I've pressed a bunch of people on stuff I found disturbing: Shake on the not-seeing-facetiousness tell, Max on his preference for Egan over you, Tric on what could have been a scumslip but it's very hard to tell with Tric, Egan on knowingly playing weakly and using his newness as an excuse, etc. So yeah, I've been looking for scum.
Where are your detailed cases? You can point out individually scummy things, but you've never shown me the drive to take someone and get them executed.

As to the fact you've been scumhunting... sure you have. I acknowledge you did it D1, and I implicitly acknowledged it then by, you know, not pointing out "this vet isn't scumhunting at all, that's crazy!".
I don't think I'm okay with 'implicit acknowledgement'. When something is relevant, you need to address it.

[1] Thing is, mafia can scumhunt too. You're a forum vet, so if you couldn't convincingly fake looking for scum, you'd have a reputation for being incredibly easily read. Which I'm pretty sure you don't.

[2] You eliminated Egan at least in part for not scumhunting as much and as loudly as other players, even though that was stupid, because of course they wouldn't, they're were a newbie miller in a crazy BYOR game.

[3] Again, you seem to have this mistaken idea that scumhunting -> always town, not scumhunting -> always scum. It doesn't.

[4] And you're insisting that the first one means people can't scumread you.
[1] Unfortunately this point is a bit convoluted since 90% of my games on this site have been as scum or third party. My reputation is inherently unbalanced.

[2] I've seen Egan playing before - er. Maybe I haven't. Okay, you have a point here, and I forgot to take into account the meta situation when hunting Egan. I don't think I would have gone after them so hard if I realized their relative lack of experience.

[3] No evidence is absolute. I believe that being an active participant in the game, by hunting down scum and creating cases for those you think are scum, is the strongest towntell possible. Likewise, not hunting down scum and not creating detailed cases is the strongest scumtell possible.

[4] No, I'm not. This is misrepresentation, again. I never said you can't scum read me. My point is that if you want to say I'm scum, you have to take into account all the evidence that you can. Not just mechanics stuff.

An argument that doesn't even address my behavior isn't a good one.

I don't vote based on virtue, I vote on who I actually think is scum.
Does town-virtue not correlate with who is town?

How do you determine who is town and who is scum, if you refuse to take into account 'virtue'?

Because, to put it simply, that is the strongest evidence against his argument that I must be scum. If I am actively scum hunting, attacking, creating cases - if I am acting town in every way other than claiming partial-miller late, then it undercuts his case, so he simply refuses to acknowledge it, and minimizes my points whenever possible.

Again, stop representing me as saying you must be scum. I thought you were the best choice D1, I don't have 100% confidence in my D1 reads.

Besides, you posted this in your mega-post after me, HERE, explicitly stating that I don't think you're mafia. Unless you were referring to my case yesterday, but the point stands that a mafia player can look active and helpful, while a town player like Egan can look unhelpful. Would have been nice to see some evidence that you actually read that post, but hey.

I really wish people would actually read my posts.
Okay, I didn't argue clearly enough in this case. In the quote you took here, I was referring to your day-one behavior. Changing your read later on is okay.

If you're going to make a case on someone, you have to take into account the evidence for them being town as well as the evidence against them being town.

... Which means I need to make another post that's specifically dedicated to addressing how NJW2000 doesn't actually contribute to the game in a townie fashion. Joy.

I would suspect fallacy due to the suspicious reaction to Egan’s joking about them being scum, and the fact that when I voted them, they sounded rather panicked until I explained myself. As well, they were the other major voting target.
If you have a specific post you're referring to, it'd be a good idea to quote it. You can use the 'quote' button in the top right corner of a post to do this.

It makes it easier to address your points, and punctuates what you're saying.

Spoiler: Section 2 (click to show/hide)
FoU: I am having trouble understanding what you're pushing at here. Could you please rephrase this accusation? It seems to me like your narrative of NJW's behavior is contradictory, and that makes the narrative far less convincing.
NJW2000 represents my role as absurd or unlikely, however they have experience with webadict's prior modding, which would suggest that my role is reasonable, even if webadict has scaled down to Beginner's level. Egan's role flip also provides an example of the level of power/complexity our mod is willing to create, and NJW2000 has also seen this. In spite of that NJW2000 argues my role is unlikely to truly exist.

FoU: I don't actually mind NJW asking for you to repeat something you'd said before in a slightly different way, it is a scumhunting tactic that gives a liar a chance to trip up and contradict themselves.
I can see what you mean, but from my point of view, it looks like he just ignored what my post said.

FoU: To be fair, at the time NJW said these things you had not presented your case yet. I don't mind dismissing a case that hasn't been made yet as a case that hasn't been made yet. Also, this section feels kinda misrepresentation-ey, which I'd really REALLY prefer if you avoided doing when part of your own case is that NJW is misrepresentation-ey.
While it is true I had not created my case yet at this point in time, I had stated my intention to do so. NJW2000 said, roughly speaking 'you're saying that I'm scum without showing evidence', failing to respond to the fact that I had publicly announced that I was going to be creating a full case.

I'll reiterate my point now that NJW2000 does not acknowledge evidence that would contradict his points against me. I am specifically noting absence, not contradiction.

[1] 1. I genuinely think FoU has been posting a lot of nonsense. "Why won't you acknowledge my scumhunting?" is half of his main argument against me. I explain why this is a worthless thing for a vet to post about above. So yeah, I'll dismiss his arguments.

[2] 4. My attitude to you changed between your posts, and I became less sympathetic to the doll confusion, after you voted and swore at me. Is this confusing?

[3] 5. I'm not sure which bit, but use without attribution post is here.
Posting from phone (you have no idea how annoying this formatting is to create) to point out that the “lack of suspects” thing NJW claims to suspect Egan for is one of the points I came up with, pretty much directly taken from my post. NJW does not mention this.

He actually says taking so it does mean stealing nyaah.

I have no idea why he would post that unless to sus me, in which case he is kinda suggesting I stole it? I don't really get the distinction here, it seems like an insanely subtle quibble.

[3.5]  Interesting that FoU is hitting the misrepresentation note hard - I think he really wants you to vote me, and is willing to be fairly instrumental about it. Still pretty much NAI though.

[4] 6. I misunderstand him once, because I think "non-claim" refers to all the not claiming he's been doing. Then I post once briefly at the end of the day and don't answer him. I've already stated that I find the miller stuff strong enough to vote on, as well as a few odd interactions with Egan and weak pushes, and that I only expect very slight tells like that from a vet D1. Fallacy is repeatedly yelling that my case can't be reasonable because he has been scumhunting and being active. That's the thing he wants me to answer here. Literally LAMIST.

I've already addressed this, I feel.

[5] 7. Do you want a line by line of this? It's mostly wrong, but the most damning thing is his:

"The strongest point I have to make is that NJW2000 is not hunting scum, and refuses to acknowledge that that is what I am doing."

Which is clearly a very weak "point". I have been hunting scum, and I am not obliged to acknowledge that FoU scumhunts, it's expected of him as either alignment. I never said he didn't scumhunt, so why is he repeatedly asking me to acknowledge it?
[1] I disagree. Scumhunting is strongly indicative of level of engagement with the game, which is a key component of towniness/scuminness. Specifically because NJW2000 is a veteran player, he should be creating cases and hunting down players. He is not.

Note that he has not created a case on Shakerag, who he is arguing is scum.

[2] Lenglon addresses this point herself, I believe.

[3] I'm okay with players using my content. It's not about the usage. It's that you argued on Day 1 that Egan and I were likely the scumteam without considering why I would make the point about Egan that they possessed no suspicions. Using that point yourself proves you were aware of it, but you never addressed why I would make it.

[3.5] Yes, I want Lenglon to vote you. She has the only vote today. I want players who I think are scum to be executed. Is this weird?

[4] Your case is unreasonable because it does not address my behavior. "Non-claim" refers to every post I make that does not specifically involve my night / role claims.

[5] Then where are your cases? You made points about scumminess, but the most we saw as a case was in your reads list. There was no specific, focused, detailed attention given to catching out a single player.

Believe me, that's what I want to be working on, rather than arguing with Fallacy about a case on him I already dropped.
I should also note minimization and invalidation. As scum, you want to make your opponents' cases on you look pointless or not based in fact. This is the equivalent of NJW2000 saying 'Fallacy has no real points, ignore them'.

To summarize, part two:

NJW2000 argues that scumhunting is not indicative of alignment. I counter that engagement with the game is a key tell, and scumhunting is a part of this.

NJW2000 does not factor in town tells in his Day 1 argument. I do not believe he is doing so Day 2 either.

NJW2000 says he 'scum hunts', but pointing out individual problematic behaviors and tells does not a full case make.

Bah. One megapost down, something like two to three more to go.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 17, 2022, 03:32:41 pm »

[2] I've seen Egan playing before - er. Maybe I haven't. Okay, you have a point here, and I forgot to take into account the meta situation when hunting Egan. I don't think I would have gone after them so hard if I realized their relative lack of experience.
You absolutely have. The most recent example was the KWN where we were mafia together and he was cult.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 17, 2022, 03:42:46 pm »

You absolutely have. The most recent example was the KWN where we were mafia together and he was cult.
I think FoU is saying he's not seen Egan's townplay, only games with Egan as scum.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 17, 2022, 03:43:07 pm »

Right. But they weren't town that game, were they?

I think FoU is saying he's not seen Egan's townplay, only games with Egan as scum.
Yes, thank you.
Generic Arms Race.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 17, 2022, 03:44:55 pm »

Positive points make your target look town. Scum doesn't want that. So only point out negative points. By saying Fal isn't scumhunting, that can be used to push a lynch on them. Not that that is looking at all likely now, so

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 17, 2022, 03:46:04 pm »

... (how did that post?)
Positive points make your target look town. Scum doesn't want that. So only point out negative points. By saying Fal isn't scumhunting, that can be used to push a lynch on them. Not that that is looking at all likely now, so
-they've started going after Shakerag for lack of interaction today. Or somesuch. Better to lynch town than get lynched yourself right?

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #654 on: July 17, 2022, 03:48:02 pm »

It’s a fairly safe assumption that at least one of the scum voted Egan, who was town.

Excluding me, and Lenglon, this leaves TricMagic*, Maximum Spin*, FallacyofUrist*, and Shakerag. At least one of these are scum. I would suspect fallacy due to the suspicious reaction to Egan’s joking about them being scum, and the fact that when I voted them, they sounded rather panicked until I explained myself. As well, they were the other major voting target.

What's your reasoning for excluding Lenglon and not just equally assume everyone who voted Egan could have been Mafia?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 17, 2022, 03:48:31 pm »

By saying Fal isn't scumhunting, that can be used to push a lynch on them.
Sure, but he didn't say that. Fallacy's complaining that NJW just didn't point out that he was scumhunting, which, while a point, seems a lot more minor to me than Fallacy seems to think.

Right. But they weren't town that game, were they?

Yes, thank you.
Right, of course. Hardly anyone has seen Egan's townplay. You're both among the cursed. :P

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 17, 2022, 03:58:48 pm »

NJW:
[3] I'm okay with players using my content. It's not about the usage. It's that you argued on Day 1 that Egan and I were likely the scumteam without considering why I would make the point about Egan that they possessed no suspicions. Using that point yourself proves you were aware of it, but you never addressed why I would make it.
I understand you are busy, but it would be nice for you to address this point of FoU's in particular.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 17, 2022, 04:10:00 pm »

NJW: Thank you for responding.

@1) okay, but that's not a response to what FoU actually said. He accused you of dismissing arguments without engagement, you... dismissed this argument without engaging with it.

@4) I think you might want to check the timeline of things, because that does not line up with the order that things happened in. You were more sympathetic when I had the moment of doll confusion, voted you, and swore at you. When I apologized, backed off, and stopped presenting myself in a confrontational and threatening way was when you became less sympathetic and fully disengaged.

@5) That does sound accurate to me.

@6) so your response is that you decided that in FoU's case you want to evaluate off of claims and mechanics instead of behavior, and are also accusing his behavior of being Look At Me I'm So Town. Is this correct?

@9) I suppose that's fine, but it is his summary and conclusion, and it would help avoid the accusations of dismissing arguments without engagement if you at least engaged with that part fully

And I see your argument about Shake. Do you think Shake should be today's lynch, or would you prefer someone else be the lynch for today?
1) I explained why I would be dismissive of one of Fal's posts. I feel that addresses using it as a scumtell to some extent, but ultimately I exhibited a tell, sure.

4) True, on a reread. I think I was probably just sick of going through the same stuff when it wasn't very key in the first place... your later posts also contained insults and confusions, and I was pretty sure I wouldn't convince you it was reasonable to elim Fal before Egan.

6) I mostly went of mechanics and claims yesterday. His current behaviour is LAMIST, which is annoying as hell because I think he's town.

9) I'll go back to it and answer the parts I haven't engaged with... but I'm getting textwalled here, and don't necessarily have time/inclination to keep up.

Right now, Shakerag, but I don't have a strong case on him. Haven't found anyone I strongly believe is scum - the new players all read town if sometimes a bit flailing, and I'm struggling to see the max/fal/you thing as involving mafia... Still trying to figure out what's going on or being said between Tric and Lidku, and barely have my head above water on the replies front.

Just seen that last reply... I know the huge wall of quotes is there.
NJW:
I understand you are busy, but it would be nice for you to address this point of FoU's in particular.
Hey, I thought it could be you/Max. Besides, I don't make entire-scumteam guesses D1 and assign them high probability, I don't think of myself as a genius. Your point was in itself correct about Egan - you could have made it as bussing scum. I still don't see what's confusing about the fact I found it fairly convincing.

Possibly I would have more cases if I had a moment to post on anything but replies...
One wheel short of a wagon

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 17, 2022, 04:27:52 pm »

What's your reasoning for excluding Lenglon and not just equally assume everyone who voted Egan could have been Mafia?

Because I trust Lenglon as confirmed town, which I’ve said multiple times. and I’m getting more suspicious of you, you are acting off.

Also…

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 17, 2022, 04:36:53 pm »

Possibly I would have more cases if I had a moment to post on anything but replies...
It's okay to disregard the replies temporarily to make a case. It'd probably be a more useful use of your time. Just don't ignore the stuff addressed at you indefinitely.
Generic Arms Race.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 64