Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Let's Breed Monsters! [November of the Fifth Year to January of the Sixth Year]  (Read 12160 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Depends on what the average lifespan is. 6% of 60 months isn't too bad.

I'd probably say Purity and Taming. Those sound like two things to knock out early.

6% of 6 months with monthly turns rounds down to being meaningless also.

I am currently horribly mutating my reptiles with Strength Scroll now. Wish me luck!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

If the plan is to stick with hardy but expensive carnivores, I can only recommend Taming. We want monsters that we can send off to fight without constant risk of death, not critters that can get slaughtered in their very first bout.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

May of the Third Year to February of the Fourth Year

Spoiler: Update 6 (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love me some Mutation Potions!

The Number One advantage of Carnivores is their long age.  You can't keep Insectoids around for long.

If the plan is to stick with hardy but expensive carnivores, I can only recommend Taming. We want monsters that we can send off to fight without constant risk of death, not critters that can get slaughtered in their very first bout.
Actually, if we included a wolf somewhere in our breeding program, taming would have taken care of itself within a couple generations.

...we should probably buy Purity Rune, build the Shrine to Purity, and brew/buy Cure Potions to help with the Afflictions...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That purity thing sounds pretty important so I say we get one of those.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

The Number One advantage of Carnivores is their long age.  You can't keep Insectoids around for long.
Technically you can, you just need to inject them with carnivore blood when they're young.

I am definitely a doctor.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Technically you can, you just need to inject them with carnivore blood when they're young.

I am definitely a doctor.

Speaking of which, Surgery is the next planned feature!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

March of the Fourth Year to December of the Fourth Year

Spoiler: Update 7 (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Seems like the point of human slaves and hires, other than they're quicker to get than a monster, is that they give a reason for a weapon and armor system, and leveling up in a way monsters don't? Knowing nothing about this game up until now, the amount of focus and features on them seems kind of odd for a monster breeding game. Almost like a gladiator management game banged into this monster breeding game.

I'd probably say skip humans except for the creme d'la creme, maybe build up a few decent ones but otherwise focus on monsters. The monsters are just going to get stronger and you're going to have more of them going forward.

Are they intended to provide that long-term growth and development factor versus monsters sort of breeding up over generations into being better? I gotta respect that in a game which gives you human opponents, they didn't skimp on the features for them. Just seems so odd that they and monsters have to compete for stage time. Who'd honestly be spending their time grinding up slaves when there's cool monsters to play god with?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like the vitality alter would be better for us in the long term.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember there have been a bunch of quests you couldn't complete because you lacked human fighters. Now that you have some slave warriors up and running, could you attempt those quests now?

Also I request for one of the tamed panthers to be renamed "Mittens".

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Are they intended to provide that long-term growth and development factor versus monsters sort of breeding up over generations into being better?
I assume so, along with a reason to acquire (and for the game to possess) better equipment. One of the crafters and half of the other's recipes wouldn't exist without humans.

But yeah, it's weird. Especially early on, where if your starting monsters aren't tame you have to choose between growing a new batch before every fight or just running a full human team, like we did.

I remember there have been a bunch of quests you couldn't complete because you lacked human fighters. Now that you have some slave warriors up and running, could you attempt those quests now?
We certainly can, though they tend to fall into two categories:

"Lair" quests don't really give anything but experience, meat (which can be fed to juveniles to boost their attack vs its source creature; I haven't bothered to yet), and young. A gaggle of cave spiders is often more of a drain to feed than a source of value, so unless we want to branch out a lot of the loot just isn't going to be worth having.

"Human" quests tend to be pretty hardcore. In another game, I attacked a bandit camp and it was something like six level 10 archers with good stats and decent gear. Certainly doable, but can be risky. The loot is human flesh (which is the hardest of meats to acquire) and human equipment, which can be amazing or crap depending.

Also I request for one of the tamed panthers to be renamed "Mittens".
IT SHALL BE SO

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...I've actually been fiddling around more with humans and the blacksmithing system than the monster breeding system in past couple of days.

I think, in the long run, humans & monsters are supposed to work together, as they both do stuff the other doesn't.

EDIT: Looks like the latest update may allow us to rename humans!  I suggested it on the game's discord, and the dev liked the idea!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

December of the Fourth Year to August of the Fifth Year

Spoiler: Update 8 (click to show/hide)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Somehow the bears look even more horrifically fucked-up than the panthers or hounds, jeez.

Spoiler: Update 8 (click to show/hide)

Except this one. Who's an adorable murderbeast? You are!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4