Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Demon Mafia - GAME OVER - Law and Chaos win!  (Read 14883 times)

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Demon Mafia - GAME OVER - Law and Chaos win!
« on: July 04, 2022, 09:28:16 am »

Law. Chaos. Two opposing ideologies and forces that were always fated to clash for all of eternity. You yourself follow one of these alignments, and are known as a demon summoner, one who is able to control demons and bend them to your will. You have fought to sway control over the world to your alignment for quite some time now, with neither side budging as endless wars continue to stalemate.

Recently, however, a new opposing force has emerged. Those who claim not just neutrality, but a desire to eradicate both Law and Chaos from the world. They have slain your enemies, but they have murdered your allies as well, leaving their mark on the world and creating change. They have even had members infiltrate both factions, hoping to harm them from within.

This simply will not do.

Leaders from both warring alignments eventually decide that drastic measures must be taken. Calling a temporary truce, they bring forth members from their own faction who they believe are the most likely to be neutral sympathizers and spies. You are one of these people, and when you are all gathered you are told the gist of what is to come.

Find the traitors from each alignment and obliterate them. Show no mercy and prove your loyalty to your cause, and you will be rewarded justly. Fail, and you will all be executed in order to guarantee that the traitors will be taken care of. Followers of Law and Chaos will have to work together if they wish to succeed, but how much can they truly trust each other in such a situation?

Welcome to Demon Mafia. In this game, the alignments of Law and Chaos are the uninformed majority, or the Town, while the alignment of Neutral is the informed minority, or the Mafia. There are no cults or conversion mechanics of any kind.

GENERAL SET UP INFO/RULES

-Phases are split between the standard Day/Night phases. Eliminations are determined by votes during the Day phase. Days last 72 hours, while Nights last 24 hours. Weekends will count as 24 hours.

-Extensions may be granted in special circumstances, such as a personal emergency or if a player is absent for the entire Day phase and a replacement is needed.

-Hammers are in effect. Once a majority vote is reached, the Day phase ends and the game will enter Twilight. You may continue to talk as long as the thread remains unlocked.

-Vote using red and bold, please. It makes it easier to find votes for updated vote counts. I will try to update the VC at least once every 24 hours.

-If you wish, you may vote for No Elimination. A hammer will occur if at least 50% of the remaining living players vote for it. The Day will then end and continue onto the Night phase.

-Natural Action Resolution will be used to determine action priority during the Night phase. If you are unsure of an action's priority, you may PM me to confirm it.

-Don't PM other players about the game, you can only PM me. Don't quote any mod PMs in the main thread either. Paraphrasing is fine, but attempting to prove the existence of a private message sent by the mod or to the mod is strictly against the rules.

-If you have any questions about your role, PM me. I will not answer questions about your role publically. If you have any questions about publicly stated info, such as the role of a flipped player, I can answer privately or in the main thread.

SPECIAL MECHANICS
LIST OF DEMONS

There are four unique aspects to the set up.

1- First off are alignments. While Law and Chaos followers (Town) are on the same team and must work together to eliminate Neutral-aligned players (Mafia) in order to win, they may be incentivized to antagonize or sabotage players of the opposing alignment. However, it isn't required, as the Town can still win without committing a single act of sabotage.

Additionally, it is guaranteed that at least one Mafia member will present as Law-aligned, and at least one Mafia member will present as Chaos-aligned. By default, Law and Chaos alignments are publically known.

2- Roles are determined by player submission. Once you In to join, submit three demons of your choice using the list here. Two will be chosen as your starting role in the game, allowing you to use whatever abilities your set of demons possess. Demons will have certain skills that match up with their most recently updated skill set from Shin Megami Tensei V. In the rare circumstance where too many picks are identical between players, I'll just ask for a new set of three picks.

3- Your demons are not set in stone. At the end of a Day phase, if a player is eliminated and is publically role flipped, their demons will be revealed. In addition to your Night action, you may choose to recruit one of their demons into your party. However, you can have no more than three demons in your party at one time, and if you successfully recruit a demon when your party is full, you will have to remove one in order to accept the new demon.

If multiple players attempt to recruit the same demon, its essence will be weakened, and those players will receive a diminished copy of the demon. The more a demon's essence is split between players, the weaker it will be.

4- Mafia do not have a typical night kill. Instead, they have a factional night ability called Negotiation. Once per night, a Mafia member may choose to Negotiate with the demons of the town member they are attempting to kill. The town member will be killed and removed from play like a normal night kill, however the mafia may also recruit the player's demons if they successfully perform the action. Negotiations are guaranteed to succeed if they can correctly deduce the identity of at least one of the demons of the player they target, even if the player is protected from the kill itself.

Spoiler: Example Town Role PM (click to show/hide)

-Webadict
-Knightwing64
-Jim Groovester
-ToonyMan
-TricMagic
-NJW2000
-notquitethere
-Maximum Spin
-hector13

It is currently DAY 2.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 08:07:17 pm by Roden »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Mafia - Currently Recruiting (0/9+)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 11:29:08 am »

I'll give it a shot.

In

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 11:50:30 am »

IN

Sounds fun

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 11:55:27 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY6RyRkl9uo

In.

Once you In to join, submit three demons of your choice using the list here.

fucking what

Oh, right, the List_of_Shin_Megami_Tensei_V_Demons. I know all bout the List_of_Shin_Megami_Tensei_V_Demons. There probably isn't anybody out there who knows more than me about the List_of_Shin_Megami_Tensei_V_Demons.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 12:24:34 pm »

Heh

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 12:25:33 pm »

Where there are demons, I slay them.

Where there are saints, I slay them.

In.

Oh, right, the List_of_Shin_Megami_Tensei_V_Demons. I know all bout the List_of_Shin_Megami_Tensei_V_Demons. There probably isn't anybody out there who knows more than me about the List_of_Shin_Megami_Tensei_V_Demons.
I recommend Nocturne, Strange Journey, and the two IV games as well. Those are my favorite from mainline.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 12:27:51 pm »

Shame YHVH wasn’t a option.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 01:51:35 pm »

Just posting to heckle for now. Down with law and chaos! Slay god and the devil!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2022, 04:28:59 pm »

In.

fucking what

Lol, tbh I initially did think to just let people use whatever demon from whichever game. But there's so many...many, games. I figure it's more convenient and easier to look up info if we use the latest iteration as a base.

Where there are demons, I slay them.

Where there are saints, I slay them.

In.

I recommend Nocturne, Strange Journey, and the two IV games as well. Those are my favorite from mainline.

Same. Nocturne especially is a classic.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2022, 06:12:53 pm »

In.

fucking what

Pick Mara.  Just trust me on this one.

Also as a giant SMT fan I'm tempted to in, but I'm already in another game.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2022, 06:24:50 pm »

In.

fucking what

Gonna be honest, I searched the entire starting post for a list of demons, and couldn't find it until you posted it, so without this post I never would've found the link, lol.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 06:35:34 pm »

In.

fucking what

Gonna be honest, I searched the entire starting post for a list of demons, and couldn't find it until you posted it, so without this post I never would've found the link, lol.

What? This is a bad sign, Web has lost IQ

Oop, I put on I’m the quote, hope editing before the game starts is okay lol
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 07:12:43 pm by Knightwing64 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Mafia - Currently Recruiting (4/9+)
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2022, 06:44:41 pm »

In

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2022, 08:39:27 pm »

My eyes have always been bad.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2022, 09:05:40 pm »

Lol, tbh I initially did think to just let people use whatever demon from whichever game. But there's so many...many, games. I figure it's more convenient and easier to look up info if we use the latest iteration as a base.

Do I need to know anything about shin megamind tensile strength to play this game or can I just

not

instead?

Pick Mara.  Just trust me on this one.

thatsapenis.gif
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21