Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28

Author Topic: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Experimentation VI)  (Read 17163 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the beginning there was darkness. Lots of events occurred afterward to craft a beautiful, unique planet filled with equally beautiful and unique life. One of these forms of life is human: you! You are all the leaders of a sizable tribe of humans as they move from barely subsisting to settling and, hopefully, thriving through the ages. There is only so much room at the top where the lucky few bask in the fruits of the labors of others, and this creates a divide between you, the leaders of this as-of-yet unknown tribe!

If you join before the first update is posted, you will have the opportunity to declare yourself as either a Major Founder or a Minor Founder. The first three players to declare themselves as Major Founders lock their roles in and default all other players to Minor Founders. All participants will be kept in a Master List maintained in my next post (with further details covered in the “Winning The Game - The Master List” spoiler).

Both types of families can propose plans of action for the tribe during all four phases of each turn and all generally want their peoples to continue existing. Beyond that, they are all competing for the position of Top Dogs as the Minor Founders try to outmaneuver one another to usurp a Major Founder and the Major Founders do everything they can to hold onto their positions.

But how are you supposed to do any of that while you’re also leading what may one day be a multicontinental empire? Find out more in the spoilers below!

Each turn is divided into four distinct phases that take place over a wildly variable amount of time - months, years, or even generations can pass by over the course of a single turn.

And here's some more spoilers covering a few other things!
Spoiler: Proposals and Voting (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Exhaustion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starting The Game (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)

NEW!!!!! TURN LINKS!!!!!! NOW MADE WITH REAL MEAT!!!!!

Exploration I
Expansion I
Exploitation I
Experimentation I - Start of Ligneous Age

Exploration II
Expansion II
Exploitation II
Experimentation II
Exploration III
Expansion III
Exploitation III
Experimentation III - Start of Pastural Age

Exploration IV
Expansion IV
Exploitation IV
Experimentation IV - Start of the Golden Age of the Neolithic Artisan

Exploration V
Expansion V
Exploitation V
Experimentation V
Exploration VI
Expansion VI - The Metal Revolution
Exploitation VI - The End of The Beginning
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 10:58:33 pm by Man of Paper »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Exploration 1)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 12:05:27 am »

Welcome, Founders! It is our first Exploration Phase!

As you sign up to participate you are also asked to mull over and vote on which of these starting locations you prefer. Once you select your starting location we will move onto the next phase!

There are Five starting locations:

Quote from: Savanna
Your people live in a relatively dry and warm climate. Tall grasses broken up by the occasional tree make up the majority of the landscape. There is a coast to the south-east and a sandy expanse of inhospitable land stretches beyond the horizon to the west. Your tribe has hunted wildlife in the region since they migrated through the desert thanks to a number of odd holes in the ground emitting a strange grey smoke that always tended to drift northward.

Starting Tech: Stone Tools (provides basic tools for basic tasks, requires access to Stone), Stone Spear (allows Exploitation of larger beasts for Food, requires access to Stone), Primitive Firemaking (a base tech vital for survival), Persistence Hunting (allows for Food Exploitation 1 square outside of the civilization's borders), Hide Tents (provides basic shelter)

Starting Zone Known Resources: Wildebeest Herd x1 (Food), Granite Inselberg x1 (Stone), Acacia Grove x1 (Wood), Fumic Geyser x1 (Magnetofumes)

Magnetofumes: A thick, gray gas flowing from holes and vents with unique electromagnetic properties. At this time, not much is known about it, but it surely has potential. There is currently no way to harvest, manipulate, or utilize this material. Considered to have a "sphere" of electromagnetism.

Quote from: Tropical Island
Your people left the mainland in search of greener pastures. And you found them! The island is largely dominated by thick flora and resides in the shadow of a singular imposing and very curious mountain. While surrounded by water on all sides, some other islands can be seen far in the distance north and west while the mainland resides to the south. The sea brings life to your people, not only by providing tranquil isolation from the rest of the world, but also with it's plentiful bounty.

Starting Tech: Pontoon Raft (allows Exploration of Coasts and Shallow Water, requires access to Wood), Stone Tools (provides basic tools for basic tasks, requires access to Stone), Fishing Gear (nets and poles that allows Exploitation of water-based Food resources, requires access to Wood), Primitive Firemaking (a base tech vital for survival), Thatch Huts (provides basic shelter)

Starting Zone Known Resources: Snapper School x1 (Food), Basalt Pit x1 (Stone), Ipil Grove x1 (Wood), Open-air Refocyte Vein x1 (Refocyte)

Refocyte: A metal that in it's base state stores energy applied through impact until a threshold is reached, where it will deliver the entirety of the stored force at the point of impact. Goes from silver to bright green as it charges. There is currently no way to harvest, manipulate, or utilize this material. Considered to have a "sphere" of mechanical energy.

Quote from: Deep Jungle
Many would consider the vast, dense jungle inhospitable. They don't know what they're doing. The jungle spreads out in all directions and provides just as many boons as it does dangers. Your tribe is made of skilled survivalists intimately familiar with their surroundings out of necessity, and they've learned to leverage their capabilities even in these less-than-desirable lands. Strange caves are hidden across the landscape that hold strange and unique flora, fauna, and minerals within them.

Starting Tech: Blowdarts (allows Exploitation of small animals for food, requires access to Wood), Foraging (reveals various types of easily-accessed Food resources), Claymaking (reveals Clay as a resource, requires a form of Firemaking), Primitive Firemaking (a base tech vital for survival), Clay Huts (provides shelter and measurable protection from the elements)

Starting Zone Known Resources: Auricularia Bloom x1 (Food), Capuchin Pack x1 (Food), Kapok Grove x1 (Wood), Riverside Clay Deposit x1 (Clay), The Wellscape x1 (Wellmaterials)

Wellmaterials: Wellmaterials are a wide variety of materials organic or otherwise that in some way interact with or manipulate sound. There is currently no way to harvest, manipulate, or utilize these materials. Considered to have a "sphere" of sound.

Quote from: Tundra
A frigid, frozen landscape can seem to offer very little, but with some creativity these areas can support life as well as anywhere else. The tundra extends to the east before terminating into the sea, and plains and taiga make up the landscape to the west. Finding a source of heat makes survival a little easier, and the nearby massive hole thrust deep into the earth provides plenty of magma-based heat. A strange mineral weaves through the earth around this magma pit and draws the eye enough to be one of the reasons the tribe settled here.

Starting Tech: Obsidian Tools (provides basic tools for basic tasks, requires access to Obsidian), Obsidian Spear (allows Exploitation of larger beasts for Food with high efficiency, requires access to Obsidian), Primitive Firemaking (a base tech vital for survival), Canine Companionship (provides bonuses to many tasks, requires 1 Food Upkeep), Igloos (provides shelter and measurable protection from the elements)

Starting Zone Known Resources: Reindeer Herd x1+1 (Food+Obsidian Spear), Birch Grove x1 (Wood), Surface Obsidian Deposit x1 (Obsidian), Exposed Magmatite Vein x1 (Magmatite)

Magmatite: Magmatite is an ore that seems relatively mundane, but when properly processed could produce immense amount of thermal energy or drain it from the surrounding area. There is currently no way to harvest, manipulate, or utilize these materials. Considered to have a "sphere" of temperature.

Quote from: Small Island
A small grass-covered island positioned between two larger landmasses. The island itself has high, steep cliffs along the east side that drop into the sea and slips gradually down to sea level as you go west. The lands beyond the strait north and south seem very diverse, although the north seems much cooler and wetter than the south. There is an abundance of strange materials floating around the island, and so curiosity has led your people to settle here.

Starting Tech: Stone Tools (provides basic tools for basic tasks, requires access to Stone), Animal Husbandry (allows Exploitation of docile beasts for Food), Primitive Firemaking (a base tech vital for survival), Coastal Raft (allows for Exploration across Coastal waters), Stick-and-Hide Wigwam (provides shelter and measurable protection from the elements)

Starting Zone Known Resources: Sheep Herd x1 (Food), Gneiss Formation x1 (Stone), Pine Barrens x1 (Wood), Exposed Gavrillium Deposit x1 (Gavrillium), Surface Caelium Vein x1 (Caelium)

Gavrillium: Gavrillium is a crystalline mineral with a great amount of potential. It can be acted upon in a wide variety of ways to produce energy. There is currently no way to harvest, manipulate, or utilize this material. Considered to have a very flexible "sphere" of power production.

Caelium: Caelium is a metallic ore that can be observed hovering slightly above the ground during particularly powerful thunderstorms. There is currently no way to harvest, manipulate, or utilize this material. Considered to have the "sphere" of gravity.

Remember to claim your position as a Major Founder if you so wish. Time to get talking and voting!
Spoiler: The Master List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 02:14:06 am by Man of Paper »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 12:16:30 am »

I of course will be a Powder Minor.

As for starting location, I'd like to start in the Savannah, since its inspiration didn't get off of the ground and in some sense it's the most open for exploration, but I could also enjoy taking any of these other starting locations and seeing what different direction we end up taking them.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 12:18:00 am »

Alright, I'm in and Majorly so.

As for starting locations, either the deep jungle or the small islands would be preferable to me.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 12:29:30 am »

Major1895 hasn't decided where to go, leaning Savannah because.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 02:04:23 am »

In as Major.
Savannah sounds good.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 02:24:17 am »

If there is a small island left to settle on, I'm in as Bjartur of Summerhouses, leader of a family of shepherds. (Minor)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 02:26:14 am by Quarque »

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 06:45:38 am »

Ill join and go ahead and take that last Major slot
And yeah as everyone else has said major sounds fine

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 08:09:52 am »

Sorry fluffe, looks like a1s called the last spot first. How dare they?! Looks like you’ll need to politic your way to the top!

So far everyone but Quarque has been added. Based on your post it looks like you might be under the impression that players are settling in different locations and I wanted to clarify that you’re working and voting together to benefit the same tribe. If that flavor of gameplay is still something you’re down for then I’ll toss you right onto the list

Edit: Also don’t forget to use voteboxes! Remember to keep major and minor vote boxes separate!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 08:35:53 am »

After reading the rules more carefully I'll chicken out, I should keep my addiction to this forum under control anyway.  :P
Maybe next game. Have fun, all!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 02:44:09 pm »

I will sign up as a minor founder. As for voting I'm obligated to go for Savannah.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 02:58:39 pm »

Quote from: Major Votebox
Savannah: (3) a1s, m1895, MINOR
Has Not Voted: (1) Taricus
Quote from: Minor Votebox
Savannah: (2) Powder Miner, Light Forger
Tundra: (1) NUKE9.13
I have a superpower, which is called Listening To The GM.

While I'm worried that picking the Savannah (which is a reference to another game that some people (including the GM) feel very strongly about) will lead to entrenched views of how we should develop- reducing room for creativity- I don't fancy my chances of convincing folks to pick another option. And I'm not actually that worried about it.
My preferred option is the Tundra, as while it (like all the options) is a reference to a different other game, the game in question is relatively old, and it'd be nice to revisit it. The risk of entrenched views of development are less of a concern, as the nation in question didn't have as well-defined of a political/cultural/historical background, and their defining features were all high-tech stuff that we couldn't replicate even if we wanted to.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 03:02:45 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 03:40:55 pm »

Quote from: Major Votebox
Savannah: (3) a1s, m1895, MINOR
Small Island: (1) Taricus
Quote from: Minor Votebox
Savannah: (2) Powder Miner, Light Forger
Tundra: (1) NUKE9.13
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 07:08:43 pm »

I'll give it until tomorrow evening (20-24 hours or so) before the first update and see if anyone else wants a say in the starting area.

And a reminder to people who aren't sure about the game and waiting around, you can join at any time you decide you want to throw your hat into the ring. No need to worry about missing your chance if you decide you want to give it a turn or two and see what happens.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 07:16:18 pm »

I would actually prefer we not go the exact same way as the game the Savannah came from, funnily enough; it's just that I feel there's relatively more room to play around since that game cut off fairly early.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28