Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28

Author Topic: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Experimentation VI)  (Read 17149 times)

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Exploration 1)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2022, 07:42:36 pm »

I just think Magnetofumes is the coolest SR, and we never got to do much with it.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Exploration 1)
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2022, 10:29:25 pm »

(Ah didn't see a major sign up post from m1 so didnt realize it was full my bad)
Quote from: Major Votebox
Savannah: (3) a1s, m1895, MINOR
Small Island: (1) Taricus
Quote from: Minor Votebox
Savannah: (3) Powder Miner, Light Forger, Fluffe9911
Tundra: (1) NUKE9.13

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Expansion I)
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2022, 08:20:36 pm »

Exploration I: Settling

For as long as anyone can remember, your people have roamed the wilds of your lands in a constant search for food and water. In recent times your people have found a comfortable reliability in the migration of a large herd of wildebeest, and so your people have settled down in the vicinity of a watering hole at the behest of one particular Minor Founder (Powder Miner +1I). With their basic needs provided for, the tribe is looking to live in the area on a more permanent basis than anywhere and any time before.

Tribe Settled in 47-D

But their story is only just beginning. Your people have infinite opportunity laid out before them and just need your direction to guide them into the future. Your tribe has a general familiarity with the surrounding area. Some of your people are not entirely sure about a permanent settlement yet and are willing to expand elsewhere, but without exploration of the surrounding area they'd be going in practically blind. It's certainly an option, but without any scouting there is no way to know what resources reside in the region nor what would be needed for the new settlement's upkeep until they're there.

Terrain Identified:
46-C: Savannah, Desert
46-D: Savannah, Desert, Beach
46-E: Desert, Beach, Coast, Shallow Water
47-C: Savannah, Freshwater Stream
47-E: Shallow Water
48-C: Savannah, Freshwater Stream, Freshwater Lake
48-D: Savannah, Beach, Coast, Shallow Water
48-E: Shallow Water

While you Founders discuss and decide on your next course of action in the Expansion Phase you are also tasked with naming the tribe. You will not gain influence for proposing the winning name, and do not need to vote for the tribe name in two separate voteboxes (although a votebox for the names would be nifty and keep it organized, I won't push youse to maintain three separate voteboxes). You will occasionally get small prompts like this when you have the opportunity to flesh out lore so that everyone has equal say in decisions that do not effect the game mechanically.

Remember, during the Expansion Phase you can choose to settle another region or propose developments to aid in expansion, civic or military technologies, and generally anything not solely tied to Exploration or Exploitation. If you have questions about what phase a proposal fits into, feel free to ask me at any time! These proposals need to be related in some way to your existing knowledge. For those familiar with Arms Races, think more along the lines of a Revision than a Design.

If you want a quick response to your questions or an easier place to converse about the game than the forum, I now have some channels specifically for such a thing in my discord server, found here! The link will also be posted in the OP.

Spoiler: Available Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Master List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Known Regions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources By Region (click to show/hide)

As time goes on and information becomes more plentiful, these spoilers will be put in their own post to avoid character limits. Spoilers may also receive adjustment if necessary for ease of use depending on how things go.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 12:37:43 am by Man of Paper »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Expansion 1)
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2022, 04:38:18 am »

While we're going in blind, I feel like we can't go wrong with 48-C. Lake, stream- both opportunities to find clay, which would be a useful resource moving forwards (pottery being a key technology for food/water preservation), and the access to water is always useful, both in a hunter-gatherer society, and obviously in any future agricultural endeavours. We have a surplus of resources to sustain the expansion, in the unlikely event that it isn't self-sufficient.

Expand into 48-C: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Sketchykeeps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2022, 05:08:10 am »

Sneaking in here as a minor founder.

I’ll make a character/family for RP stuff when we get a consensus on what our people’s culture looks like.

Sketchykeeps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2022, 05:18:45 am »

Also, 48-C and 48-D seem like the most promising plots.
49-C has those fresh water sources, which means if nothing else we’ll probably find abundant game and vegetation in addition to whatever resources we may have.
48-D seems like it might contain a harbor, which is neat, and we might find all sorts of interesting things along the beach.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 05:55:27 am by Sketchykeeps »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2022, 11:17:58 pm »

Hopping in as a Minor, i suggest 46E or 48-C. Two drastically different water containing squares, and we can begin to see how other biome resource profiles look.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2022, 12:59:36 am »

If we must expand, I'd propose 47-C; Freshwater in the area so there'd undoubtedly be some life, but equally probably of having some material resources as well thanks to the fact it's not overly laden with water.

But preferably, I'd like to get working on using that wood for better housing.

Hide Aqal
These larger, domelike structures are evolutions on our current tents, with a more elaborate wooden frame to allow for a sturdier and more permanent habitation than what our current tents allow whilst still relatively simple to construct

Hide Aqal: Taricus
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 01:49:19 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2022, 01:25:19 am »

We have already settled 47-D

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2022, 01:49:32 am »

Do'h, fix'd
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2022, 03:52:54 am »

If we must expand, I'd propose 47-C; Freshwater in the area so there'd undoubtedly be some life, but equally probably of having some material resources as well thanks to the fact it's not overly laden with water.
This is... not the best argument in the world, to put it mildly. The proportion of land area in 48-C that is taken up by water is significantly less than the proportion of our starting tile that is taken up by (salt!) water. Not only does the lake not substantially reduce the odds of finding terrestrial resources, it is almost guaranteed to improve the odds of finding them, as a large body of standing fresh water ensures the local soil is going to be capable of sustaining significant vegetation, as well as a greater variety of animal life (a stream also does this, but not to the same extent). This is without considering the (semi)aquatic resources that a lake may provide, such as freshwater fish, reeds, clay, etc (likewise also potentially provided by a stream, but not to the same extent).

Sketchykeeps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2022, 05:36:11 am »

But preferably, I'd like to get working on using that wood for better housing.

Hide Aqal
These larger, domelike structures are evolutions on our current tents, with a more elaborate wooden frame to allow for a sturdier and more permanent habitation than what our current tents allow whilst still relatively simple to construct

If we can get clay, we can develop wattle and daub housing. And it’s a pretty good bet we can find some along the fresh water sources.

I’m going to go ahead and say move to 48-C.

Expand into 48-C: (2) NUKE9.13, sketchykeeps

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2022, 05:45:09 am »

I'm not sure we should blindly expand, let's scout out 48-C and see what we can see.
Hide Aqal: Taricus,
Scout 48-C:a1s,
Expand into 48-C:MINORS
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2022, 06:16:14 am »

I'm not sure we should blindly expand, let's scout out 48-C and see what we can see.
Scouting is definitely an Exploration-phase action.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2022, 06:42:37 am »

So it is. Ok, I will support your proposal.
Hide Aqal: Taricus,
Expand into 48-C:a1s,MINORS
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28