Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329]

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1207299 times)

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)
« Reply #4920 on: March 02, 2020, 03:18:06 pm »

The problem is that unless you use dfhack/TWBT, the up/down staircase, the letter 'X', Bins, and the cursor all must share the same graphic -- it's hardcoded. So, the ugly X is a compromise.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

JEB Davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: March 02, 2020, 03:28:15 pm »

The problem is that unless you use dfhack/TWBT, the up/down staircase, the letter 'X', Bins, and the cursor all must share the same graphic -- it's hardcoded. So, the ugly X is a compromise.
Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: March 03, 2020, 10:06:46 pm »

Thanks CLA. Yeah, he's absolutely right. The pallet that is used for things like stairs is basically one pallet, hardcoded for use, and so the icon is shared by a few things, per Toady's design. Which probably makes morse sense with the ASCII tiles, but is a bit more of a compromise when it comes to doing art for the pallete itself.

Creatures, dwarves, etc are little more flexible. They are determined in the raw files (basically editable text files) and can be changed around, so theoretically those are mostly infinitely expandable. You just need the art, and you can technically make a unique icon for each creature.

There is hope though. While I do not pretend to understand whats coming with the graphical update that Toady is working on next, it does sound like tileset artists will have a much more powerful system by which to design custom graphics for individual items of various types in the game. I'm no artist, I've simply updated what work Ironhand has left us with new versions. But perhaps when the graphic update is out, someone better at all of this than me will be able to extend this awesome tileset :D

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: February 10, 2021, 11:39:08 pm »

Updated to 47.05: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14804

As always, if there happens to be anything wrong or off, please let me know.

Durithill

• Bay Watcher
  • "Being natural is simply a pose."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: February 23, 2021, 08:36:48 pm »

It never ceases to amaze me how, over a decade later, people are still working on Ironhand's old tileset. I'm not complaining though, lol.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: February 24, 2021, 07:59:55 pm »

Still the only Tileset I'll ever use. Even has my little MSPaint edit in it.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Urist_McUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: December 31, 2021, 02:14:52 am »

Ive been living in the 3rd cavern layer for a long time... is there any version of this that still works on a 32bit system? Ive been trying to update and keep getting the same error "not a valid 32bit application".
I am an angry person. It's true. Anti-social misanthrope with a complete lack of an ability to tolerate stupidity. So if you say something stupid to me, or try and insinuate I must just be misunderstanding or doing something wrong, I will probably yell at you. Always take me at my word when I explain something. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm simply being honest, in a world where the average intellect is potato. Unhelpful patronizing "help", deserves a snappy retort. Grow some thicker skin.

Urist_McUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: December 31, 2021, 03:07:26 am »

Lookit me, crawled from the caverns, necrod a thread, double posting. I think i found my way to just the graphics pack files and updated by hand. I thiiiink i did it right. I havent used a computer for years now, and i dont even have a mouse. But i got the newest version of DF working, and it looks like i got the ol ironhand files copied in by hand also. God what a pain keyboard navigation is.

Urist is compulsive these days, too long in the caverns he spent.
I am an angry person. It's true. Anti-social misanthrope with a complete lack of an ability to tolerate stupidity. So if you say something stupid to me, or try and insinuate I must just be misunderstanding or doing something wrong, I will probably yell at you. Always take me at my word when I explain something. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm simply being honest, in a world where the average intellect is potato. Unhelpful patronizing "help", deserves a snappy retort. Grow some thicker skin.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: February 17, 2022, 01:31:31 am »

Lookit me, crawled from the caverns, necrod a thread, double posting. I think i found my way to just the graphics pack files and updated by hand. I thiiiink i did it right. I havent used a computer for years now, and i dont even have a mouse. But i got the newest version of DF working, and it looks like i got the ol ironhand files copied in by hand also. God what a pain keyboard navigation is.

Urist is compulsive these days, too long in the caverns he spent.

Heya Urist, welcome back to the sunlight. It will definitely make you sick, but eventually you'll get past that. Sorry I'm so late in reply to this post!

So, I have indeed been updating and posting the 64 bit version of Dwarf Fortress, yes. I do believe that, offered for download off the main Bay 12 page, is still the 32 bit flavor of the game available in the latest Dwarf Fortress version, as well. I could certainly apply the Ironhand stuff to it, and host a copy on DFFD if neccessary, for the convenience of folks still needing to use 32 bit, instead of 64 bit.

It sounds like you got it all sorted, but I would be willing to help with what limited abilities I possess, be it yourself or someone else saying that'd they'd like to be able to grab a 32 bit version. Probably not neccessary, but it wouldn't be a big deal, in the end.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 01:35:46 am by Walkaboutout »
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329]