Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 5  (Read 15727 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 4
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2022, 05:39:13 am »

(Going to assume 'outside my body' means 'cut off from the rest of the blob, since I'm not projecting anything with these simulacrums.)

"Okay, that's.. something."

"And screw it, it's not too complex.  It's fire.  Fire is hot.  And it's my head.  I'm not simulating something I don't have, it's just my head."

"I still don't want to do it by shortcuts, though.  It might be easier if I had like something green.. but I don't want to learn to move greenness around, I want to see if I can make it from scratch.  Just do things.  This is maaagic.

Still, that might help me learn to do it from scratch."

Hypothesis:  It's easier to change something if I have an example of something posessing what I'd like to change it to.

Two more tests.  Get some green grass.  Use the water to act as a mirror.  Lets try just the hair, alone, to make it green.  Then, try to simulate the grass, move the blob to touch the grass in my hand, and simulate it taking up the greenness and moving it to my hair.

If this does work, repeat it with some other colour, but try to watch the process.  There's no reason I should need greenness to do that, so I should be able to generate whatever it is I need, not just take it from something else.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 2
« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2022, 10:58:44 pm »

Alright, it's been half a day. I'm not sure how long sprained ankles take to fix, but let's at least briefly check it, right? Just, trying to stand briefly can't do that much harm.
Anyway, uh... well, keep fishing. Why not?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2022, 08:55:02 am »

Sorry, but I think I’m gonna pull out. I have a lot of another things I’m participating in, and school is taking a lot of free time away. Sorry :(

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2022, 10:28:53 pm »

Day 4, afternoon. Soaking.
(Turn 15, 3rd of day)

The weather seems to have taken a turn for the worse, a properly unpleasant downpour now. At least the dense foliage thoroughly blocks it, and the tents are well crafted.

Spoiler: Nathan (click to show/hide)
Spell Concept: Motion/Splitting renamed to Proto Spell: Magic Edge.
I have apparently reached a new mana control milestone, I can now form and control a spell after cutting the mana strings.
If I can figure out how to anchor Magic Edge to a different mana type, I might be able to give enchanted blades out. I'd be willing to teach it, but I don't think anybody else has enough Blob Mana Control.

Eat my fill of the smoked meat that's going bad.
Try to figure out what control I have over the second mana type I found, the more physical one that circulates naturally. I don't expect to get this far this turn, and don't want to rush "CUT IT OFF AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!" experiments, but I want to work towards the idea of trying to affix a bit of it to an object, and anchoring Magic Edge to that.
Test my abilities to control Blob Mana without strings. How far can it go before I lose control? Can I extend that range by holding mana strings near it? How far can I extend a mana string?

You nom on some meat. Gain 4 hunger, 4 meat bits removed from shed.

No matter how your bluster huff and heave, the more physical energy seems to stubbornly resist your will. The same observations as Alice are made, with regards to it being stimulated by physical things such as eating food, or motion.

You're able to determine that the range is indeed reduced by being cut off, and that proximity to a strand doesn't affect your control, only whether it is or is not connected. This is all you uncover, before the thundering rain and pounding headache from all your intense concentration distracts you. As a side note, it would seem that losing control over a disconnected blob doesn't result in the intensely uncomfortable ripples you felt across your body and core earlier, how fortunate!

(Going to assume 'outside my body' means 'cut off from the rest of the blob, since I'm not projecting anything with these simulacrums.)

"Okay, that's.. something."

"And screw it, it's not too complex.  It's fire.  Fire is hot.  And it's my head.  I'm not simulating something I don't have, it's just my head."

"I still don't want to do it by shortcuts, though.  It might be easier if I had like something green.. but I don't want to learn to move greenness around, I want to see if I can make it from scratch.  Just do things.  This is maaagic.

Still, that might help me learn to do it from scratch."

Hypothesis:  It's easier to change something if I have an example of something posessing what I'd like to change it to.

Two more tests.  Get some green grass.  Use the water to act as a mirror.  Lets try just the hair, alone, to make it green.  Then, try to simulate the grass, move the blob to touch the grass in my hand, and simulate it taking up the greenness and moving it to my hair.

If this does work, repeat it with some other colour, but try to watch the process.  There's no reason I should need greenness to do that, so I should be able to generate whatever it is I need, not just take it from something else.

(Clearly I misinterpreted what you meant, but either way it doesn't affect things.)
Focusing intensely on the idea of taking the green from the grass, your palm blurs somewhat. After several moments, it seems like the grass has wilted, gone cold and brittle. Also, the hand holding the grass feels dull as well. Your skin looks vaguely grayish blue, like frostbite, or something. You note the flow is now moving sluggishly through the hand, and suddenly an intense searing pain comes from the area surrounding the gray part. Ow ow ow, yep! Definitely colder than a hand is supposed to be. -3 health, -1 mana, -1 hunger.

Yeah, you're not fiddling around more with this concept until you know what the hell you just did to your hand.

Alright, it's been half a day. I'm not sure how long sprained ankles take to fix, but let's at least briefly check it, right? Just, trying to stand briefly can't do that much harm.
Anyway, uh... well, keep fishing. Why not?
Your ankle seems to be mostly recovered, though long jumping would be ill advised.

Why not? Well presumably eventually the river will run out of fish, or your equipment will all break. Not much reason to not fish, otherwise. You catch a couple more medium fish. You're starting to get quite the collection! Gain 2 medium fish, lose 1 hunger.

Sorry, but I think I’m gonna pull out. I have a lot of another things I’m participating in, and school is taking a lot of free time away. Sorry :(
No worries! I certainly feel that with school, right now.

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

I love everything being due on Tuesdays, and I love having multiple major group projects in the same semester. Very fun. Looks like Egan is back on bay12, now? I've still got those missed turns banked, though not for much longer. Also trying a new format for the day at the top that might make a bit more sense at a glance.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (3/8) Day 4
« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2022, 12:29:01 am »

Eat some of the meat and monitor the situation.  It's not the same as making something, but I'm pretty sure the flow will fix whatever's wrong with my hand eventually.  Rest in the tent, lie down, with my hand touching my hair, monitoring the situation, trying to figure out what exactly is inside my hand.

If it gets worse try to move whatever it is into my hair instead.. hair is dead, it shouldn't hurt like my hand does.  If I lose it maybe I can grow it back later.

Spoiler: Alice (click to show/hide)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2022, 05:32:46 pm »

Meditate. We seem to naturally recover mana only while sleeping. Try to get close to a nap without losing consciousness, and try to observe the process of my own mana recovery.

I sure hope I don't fail and fall asleep. Asking if I can watch my colleagues sleep would be an awkward and creepy conversation.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (3/8) Day 4
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2022, 10:28:26 pm »

I was asked to post in this thread but it's bed time so this is that post good night.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2022, 09:12:28 pm »

Right, rain sucks. Let's bring my fish to the smoking tent and get them preserved for later.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (3/8) Day 5
« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2022, 10:17:07 pm »

Day 4, evening. Damp, quiet.
(Turn 16, 4th of day)

As the light bleeds from the sky and seeps below the horizon, the downpour slowly comes to a halt. The evening hair tastes strongly of damp, and even the insects are quiet.

Eat some of the meat and monitor the situation.  It's not the same as making something, but I'm pretty sure the flow will fix whatever's wrong with my hand eventually.  Rest in the tent, lie down, with my hand touching my hair, monitoring the situation, trying to figure out what exactly is inside my hand.

If it gets worse try to move whatever it is into my hair instead.. hair is dead, it shouldn't hurt like my hand does.  If I lose it maybe I can grow it back later.

You nibble on a couple more of the dried bits of meat in the shack. This really is awfully flavorless. Shack updated. Gain 4 hunger, 1 health.
Over time, within the decent warmth of the tent, you do slowly get feeling back in your hand.
Based on how the grass withered and cracked in your hand, it seems rather possible that you didn't learn color transference, but rather some method of cooling things down, and your hand is just frostbitten. Luckily it doesn't seem to have gone too deep, so you should be relatively fine in the morning.

Curled up in your blankets, you drift off to sleep.

Meditate. We seem to naturally recover mana only while sleeping. Try to get close to a nap without losing consciousness, and try to observe the process of my own mana recovery.

I sure hope I don't fail and fall asleep. Asking if I can watch my colleagues sleep would be an awkward and creepy conversation.
Yeah, you're tired. Sleep time! All you get before drifting off is that your core seems to be... spinning, slowly, as your consciousness fades. Lose 1 hunger.

I was asked to post in this thread but it's bed time so this is that post good night.
You shuffle your feet and head off to bed. (In case it's not clear, this doesn't count as one of your turns. Six backlogged turns, now.)

Right, rain sucks. Let's bring my fish to the smoking tent and get them preserved for later.
You cut your hand while prepping the fish. Ouch! They get hung up to dry and you toss more wood on the fire within the construction; the outside wood is unfortunately rather wet; some kind of basic storage thing for wood might be in order, you hope the wood isn't too wet to burn. You also move the fish that were hanging above the campfire into the drying shelter. Lose 1 health. Locations updated, lose all fish in inventory.
Thoroughly fished out for the day, you lay down to sleep inside the shed. Luckily, it's still relatively dry in here. Can probably drop off the crutch for now, too.

Howls are heard in the night, the damp of the day fades away. Though there is still no moon, the sky seems brighter than previous nights. All those who sleep gain 3 health, and 3 mana. (Up to cap)[/b]

Day 5 begins.

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

Midterms are fun.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2022, 05:44:19 am »

Hypothesis:  I didn't steal greenness, but I did take something from the grass, and it ended up being heat.  It just wasn't enough heat to do anything with, but it was enough to freeze the grass.  And my hand.

Try the freeze thing again, but this time with something a bit hotter.  Take a smouldering stick from the fire and try to absorb the heat from it the same way, by moving some blob bit to my hand and absorbing the heat from it.

If that works fairly well, try to see if I can do the opposite, move a blob bit to my finger and put enough heat into a tiny bit of grass to start it on fire.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 06:49:41 pm by Devastator »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2022, 06:23:31 pm »

Cast Magic Edge. It seems that its position is anchored in place relative to a metaphysical attachment point after I release the spell. It is also much weaker if I try to use it without releasing it.
Try to release it, then regain control of it, move it, and release it again. If it works, try to figure out how much this weakens the spell or drains extra mana.

Try to teach the Magic Edge spell, but my students are confused so instead I'll have to walk Aaron and Brooke through trying to find and control their mana.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 07:32:18 pm by Nirur Torir »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2022, 10:04:47 pm »

Attempt to understand, by way of feeling, my body and the energy stuff in it. Build a training dummy. Practice killing it with a pickaxe. Pay attention to my mana while I do so.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2022, 11:34:14 pm »

If there's stuff out here that might attack us, it'd be best to be prepared. That said, while it feels like the immediate thing to do would be to train physical combat skills, we are supposed to be learning magic, and I think the other people here have actually been doing that. Let's chat with them and see if there's anything we can help with.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2022, 03:09:51 pm »

If there's stuff out here that might attack us, it'd be best to be prepared. That said, while it feels like the immediate thing to do would be to train physical combat skills, we are supposed to be learning magic, and I think the other people here have actually been doing that. Let's chat with them and see if there's anything we can help with.
"I'm working on a spell that cuts easier than an axe, but it doesn't last for long. It's usable, and I'll gladly teach it to anyone who wants to learn. Let me know if you figure out how to improve it.

I call it Magic Edge. You shape your mana into a blade shape, while thinking about concepts like pushing, moving, and splitting. Then you have try to fix it into place above something, like your hand or a knife you're holding. I haven't figured out how to stick it to a knife, exactly, but if you're holding the knife steady, it'll work out the same.

No? Okay, let's take it from the top. First you have to feel your mana. Get comfortable, close your eyes, and breathe as I count.."
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 07:26:11 pm by Nirur Torir »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2022, 09:48:36 pm »

"I'm working on a spell that cuts easier than an axe, but it doesn't last for long. It's usable, and I'll gladly teach it to anyone who wants to learn. Let me know if you figure out how to improve it.

I call it Magic Edge. You shape your mana into a blade shape, while thinking about concepts like pushing, moving, and splitting. Then you have try to fix it into place above something, like your hand or a knife you're holding. I haven't figured out how to stick it to a knife, exactly, but if you're holding the knife steady, it'll work out the same."

Aaron attempts to follow the instructions. Although he probably first needs to figure out how to shape his mana at all.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12