Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 5  (Read 15728 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2022, 12:08:43 am »

"Prolly."
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2022, 12:53:24 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Better than nothing, though these bites and cuts are getting annoying.

Whatever, let's just try to find a reasonably-comfortable patch of grass to meditate on magic within and, later, doze off for sleep.
We obviously have magic - wouldn't be a mage, otherwise - but let's try to see if it's easier to feel and draw upon it from within ourselves or from our environment. Is the nature of a mage one with the ability to wield their own mana, or that which exists in the world around them?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2022, 01:30:29 am »

I think that your hunger should have gone down by two and not up by two, Glass? It's a little hard to tell, but I think "gain 2 hunger" means you got hungrier, and you just gained food but haven't eaten it yet. For the rest of us when we eat food we still get -1 or -2 hunger at the end of the turn.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2022, 08:21:19 am »

(1 fish = 2 fillets. It’s stated in the turn that I ate one. My hunger is where it is supposed to be, especially if you compare my turn to people who didn’t eat stuff.)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2022, 11:23:26 am »

I do all the math on my end, so for example if someone picks 4 pears and then eats 1, I just write "gain 3 pears" and then however much hunger they gain. It is entirely possible that I did or will do that math wrong at some point, however.
Edit: In this case, I do believe Glass' numbers line up as intended.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2022, 12:33:11 pm »

Spoiler: Nathan (click to show/hide)

"All in all, a good day's work, I say. We'll have shelter within the month.
I'll help with mana sensing in the morning."

Claim a blanket and sit on it out under the stars. Meditate until dinner. Help eat the deer, then go to sleep and skip the night turn.

Meditate by trying to stretch a string of mana down my right arm, and hold it for as long as I can. I might need to build and maintain mana circuits through my body to cast spells, and this could be a first step for it.
Try to push a small blob of mana down it and into Aaron's back.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2022, 02:34:16 pm »

(Can someone give me a hint? I’m confused and feel like I’m being surpassed  :'( )

Try to use the tingle to tame the wolf, maybe puts some tingle inside of it? If this doesn’t work, just hit it. Find out the secrets of magic

(It is now turn 3 and I know how to tingle, 0.0)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2022, 02:56:08 pm »

(That's basically all any of us can do. Trying to do complex things like "use magic to tame wolf" doesn't seem to be the correct first step in this game at least. You have to puzzle out the existing "system" of magic.)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2022, 03:41:37 pm »

(Even if it fails, I’ll still find out more information to piece together about the magic system that I can use to kill you and enslave the natives be the best wizard ever)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2022, 03:50:37 pm »

(One don't do that it's bad for the game two don't mess with combat catgirl if you like your skull.)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2022, 04:34:23 pm »

(Yeah, I don't know anything about magic either, other than that it's an individual thing.  Tomorrow I'll do some more experimentation.)

(Assuming no explosions.  ;-p)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 05:55:55 pm by Devastator »

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2022, 10:30:05 pm »

Evening 1, turn 4. Chilly.

"Yes! Need it have it cooked before nightfall ideally, so it doesn't go bad."

Butcher, fire, cook, eat, sleep.
With Alice's help, you do indeed do those things. One of the knives breaks, unfortunately, but grabbing a new one from the shed isn't a problem. The broken knife just gets put back in the shed; the metal might come in handy later. That's a lot of meat, by the way. Genesis field information updated.

After the butchering and cooking you eat your fill, do your best to scrub the blood off in the river, and curl up in some of the blankets after drying by the fire. Gain 4 hunger. Basic cooking learned.

Help Butcher.

Set up a shelter using one of the tents and bedding.

"Did you explode?  You're all messy."

The butchering goes quickly between the two of you, and you leave Eli to do the cooking.

A good thing too, that it goes so fast. Setting up a shelter near the shack takes you the rest of the evening. Damn these tiny arms! Soon you're bundled up in one of the tents, drifting off to sleep.

Better than nothing, though these bites and cuts are getting annoying.

Whatever, let's just try to find a reasonably-comfortable patch of grass to meditate on magic within and, later, doze off for sleep.
We obviously have magic - wouldn't be a mage, otherwise - but let's try to see if it's easier to feel and draw upon it from within ourselves or from our environment. Is the nature of a mage one with the ability to wield their own mana, or that which exists in the world around them?
Based off of snatches of conversation from the others, over a decent length of time you do manage to connect with/perceive/feel some kind of energy blob within yourself. Nothing from the environment around you, however.

Soon, you curl up to sleep. It would be chilly, were you not wearing fairly heavy clothing. The grass makes a surprisingly good bed.

"All in all, a good day's work, I say. We'll have shelter within the month.
I'll help with mana sensing in the morning."

Claim a blanket and sit on it out under the stars. Meditate until dinner. Help eat the deer, then go to sleep and skip the night turn.

Meditate by trying to stretch a string of mana down my right arm, and hold it for as long as I can. I might need to build and maintain mana circuits through my body to cast spells, and this could be a first step for it.
Try to push a small blob of mana down it and into Aaron's back.

((You're not actually manaburnt, by the way. Any mechanically concrete effects wore off within the same turn))
Meditation occurs, deer gets eaten, then you sleep. Gain 3 hunger.

At first blush, magic manipulation does seem to be akin to muscle building. All your practice across the day has really paid off, and you manage to hold a tendril in place for quite some time. You almost lose control of it, but manage to gracefully retract the tendril back into your core.
The feeling of mana slithering up and down your arm is like phantom chills, a ghost's touch.

Still meditating, you eventually drift off to sleep.

(Can someone give me a hint? I’m confused and feel like I’m being surpassed  :'( )

Try to use the tingle to tame the wolf, maybe puts some tingle inside of it? If this doesn’t work, just hit it. Find out the secrets of magic

(It is now turn 3 and I know how to tingle, 0.0)
Trying to meditate while also avoiding snarling jaws is difficult, especially with so little practice. You do, however, manage to whack the wolf so hard with a branch you rip off a nearby tree that it is sent flying off into the distance, and decides you're not worth the trouble. Those splinters are unfortunately quite painful, though. Basic combat learned. Lose 2 health.

Before going to bed, you snack on the rations that you woke up with. 'Some food rations' removed, +4 Hunger.
Having had a rather fruitless day, you presumably return to the shack and snuggle up in some blankets in the corner, to sleep till the morrow.

The night passes peacefully, wildlife sounds abound and wind brushes softly across the grass. Though there is no moon, the nighttime sky is still lit by some diffuse source. All those who sleep gain 3 health, and 3 mana. (Up to cap)

Day 2 begins.

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

And that's day one! Hope people are enjoying themselves, and that my slightly less abstracted survival aspects aren't too annoying. I'm trying to nod at realism without actually bogging the turns down with fluff details.

Combat's something I'm still not decided on. Putting the game on pause so two people can fight in more appropriate turn times than 4 hours doesn't seem good, but neither does taking away player agency. I suppose, at least for simpler scenarios, I'd greatly appreciate if you give a bit of conditional detail to your fighting actions against monsters, so I can write the whole thing in one turn (assuming you don't genuinely need more than four hours for a fight, somehow)
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2022, 10:47:14 pm »

"Good morning everyone! Do any of you recall how to save meat? It seems we'll have extra. I think... you can use salt? Which comes from the ground?"

Have a little adventure, secure in the knowledge that if any beastie messes with me I can just pick it.
Bring enough deer bits to last me the day and auto eat 'em to stay at 10 hunger please! I'll carry it in a bag from the shack, or a makeshift linen sack if there's none.
Look for any unexploited natural resources! Especially ones I can get at with a pick!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2022, 10:56:28 pm »

"Good morning, everyone! I've made a good start on moving my own mana around. I still don't know how to do anything useful with it, but I can move it around my body. I have a big blob of mana in my core that feels tingly. Mana that I'm moving around seems to need to be kept attached by a string of mana, and if I lose concentration it snaps back and hurts in weird ways. Don't do that.

Give me a few minutes and then gather around, if you want to try to sense my mana. I'll be moving it around my hand."

Meditate and repeat last night's exercise of stretching a string of mana into my hand. I'd like to try to make the string into a track, and push a blob of mana up and down each finger following the track, both to refine my control and let the observers try to figure out where the mana is going. Try to help anyone who's having trouble.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2022, 11:08:00 pm »

"I might have to catch that later, I'm not comfortable with our position here. Need to explore more and make sure we've got what we need."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12