Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 5  (Read 15660 times)

Dwayna DragonFire

• Bay Watcher
  • DragonFire Forever
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (3/8) Day 5
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2022, 06:50:37 pm »

Spoiler: Brooke (click to show/hide)

"Oh dear... I suppose I should start testing things out..." says Brooke, looking around at her unfamiliar surroundings.

She looks for some food. Afterwards, she takes a deep breath and tried to focus on the arcane energies around her, and inside of her.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 06:53:32 pm by Dwayna DragonFire »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2022, 07:24:17 pm »

"Oh dear... I suppose I should start testing things out..." says Brooke, looking around at her unfamiliar surroundings.

She looks for some food. Afterwards, she takes a deep breath and tried to focus on the arcane energies around her, and inside of her.
Good to see a new face. I'm already trying to walk someone else through the initial basics, you're welcome to join in on that.

Dwayna DragonFire

• Bay Watcher
  • DragonFire Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2022, 09:42:18 pm »

Good to see a new face. I'm already trying to walk someone else through the initial basics, you're welcome to join in on that.
Brooke will join in on learning after the kind invitation.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 5
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2022, 10:20:04 pm »

Day 5, morning. Bright.
(Turn 17, 1st of day)

The sunrise this morning is brilliant, and things seem to have dried up overnight.

Hypothesis:  I didn't steal greenness, but I did take something from the grass, and it ended up being heat.  It just wasn't enough heat to do anything with, but it was enough to freeze the grass.  And my hand.

Try the freeze thing again, but this time with something a bit hotter.  Take a smouldering stick from the fire and try to absorb the heat from it the same way, by moving some blob bit to my hand and absorbing the heat from it.

If that works fairly well, try to see if I can do the opposite, move a blob bit to my finger and put enough heat into a tiny bit of grass to start it on fire.

Spoiler: Alice (click to show/hide)
Yep! After some experimentation, it looks like you've learned to shift heat from one thing to another. It doesn't seem like you can store it, or if you are you're not sure where, but siphoning heat from a flaming branch directly to an unlit one was enough to immediately ignite it. This did also put the stick out, when you metaphorically pulled hard enough on it. The same didn't really work with a finger; presumably you can't pull enough heat from a hand without harming yourself, when trying to ignite something. Lose 1 mana, 1 hunger.

Spoiler: Nathan (click to show/hide)

Cast Magic Edge. It seems that its position is anchored in place relative to a metaphysical attachment point after I release the spell. It is also much weaker if I try to use it without releasing it.
Try to release it, then regain control of it, move it, and release it again. If it works, try to figure out how much this weakens the spell or drains extra mana.

Try to teach the Magic Edge spell, but my students are confused so instead I'll have to walk Aaron and Brooke through trying to find and control their mana.

You've learned a number of important things, here. Firstly, regaining control of a spell construct that you've cut loose seems not possible, at your current level if nothing else. At least not without drawing another tendril out towards it, which seemingly collapses it down into formless, rapidly dissipating mana anyways.

Secondly, it seems like the strength of the blade while you're still tied to it is directly affected by your current focus. Separated blades retain whatever strength they had at the time they were cut off.

Thirdly, it seems like the reason the blade was stronger when linked to your hand or the edge of a knife was purely due to the aforementioned muscle memory and focus, or at least that is strongly indicated by the observed behavior.

Unfortunately all this casting, dismissing, recasting, and general mana shenanigans seems to have brought the unnerving, cold, shivering, hot and sweaty sensation back to the portions of your body that you were moving mana through. At least you managed to recover most of the spent mana, with your experiments. Lose 2 mana, lose 1 hunger.

It would seem you need to organize your thoughts before speaking. Nonetheless, you do manage to get the idea across, at least in part, and they seem able to bridge the gap.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Attempt to understand, by way of feeling, my body and the energy stuff in it. Build a training dummy. Practice killing it with a pickaxe. Pay attention to my mana while I do so.
It's a surprisingly sturdy little training dummy. Should be able to take quite a beating!Locations updated.

Trying to focus on your mana is pretty distracting, so you don't get much training done.

You don't make too much progress on trying to understand it better, either, though the speed with which you can access it seems to have increased substantially. Lose 3 hunger.

((Extra attempt using bonus turn))
Agh, still so little progress! Lose 1 hunger.

If there's stuff out here that might attack us, it'd be best to be prepared. That said, while it feels like the immediate thing to do would be to train physical combat skills, we are supposed to be learning magic, and I think the other people here have actually been doing that. Let's chat with them and see if there's anything we can help with.
Aaron attempts to follow the instructions. Although he probably first needs to figure out how to shape his mana at all.
With limited help from Nathan, you manage to get a decent grasp on sensing the ball of energy inside you, and even with drawing a tendril out of it. He warns you against the dangers of losing control, and having a tendril snap back into your core. Lose 2 hunger.

Brooke will join in on learning after the kind invitation.
With limited help from Nathan, you manage to begin sensing the ball of energy inside you, pushing it around, kneading it, and shaping it somewhat. If the man is telling the truth, more will come with practice.

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2022, 06:11:21 am »

Brilliant 'sunlight' eh?  I wonder if I can use that..

Lets try a bit more heat.  Take a bigger stick and try to change which end is on fire, aiming to delay the transfer until I can store the fire or I hurt myself.

..After that, lets see if I can absorb a little from my skin instead.  Walk towards the forest, seeing if I can absorb extra heat from the brilliant light.

..And then see if I can throw a fireball with just hand and arm movements.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 2
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2022, 09:35:04 am »

Rawrh! Annihilate the training dummy with my pick!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2022, 07:01:33 pm »

Attempt to learn telekinesis with a pebble. Try concepts like grab/hold and MINE/extension of body. I expect it will be like the magic edge spell, and either need me to keep focus, or to lock it into place.

Meditate and try to work towards conscious mana recovery. Try to spin my mana like I noticed before falling asleep last night. Carefully remember the warning not to integrate external mana carelessly, but a little bit (1 unit) is probably fine.

Dwayna DragonFire

• Bay Watcher
  • DragonFire Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2022, 11:58:36 pm »

Use my awareness of the magic to try to conjure up something. An animal of some kind should be nice.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2022, 04:58:26 pm »

First off, let's have some food, because I am hungry.
Second... okay, I have these magic tendrils. What can I do with them...
Can I pick something up with the tendrils? That feels kind of like something that could be done.
And what if I touch somebody else's tendrils or core with mine? Let's see if anybody would be willing to help test that.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2022, 06:39:50 pm »

And what if I touch somebody else's tendrils or core with mine? Let's see if anybody would be willing to help test that.[/b]
I'll volunteer for both.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2022, 01:17:41 pm »

Day 5, noon. Calm.
(Turn 18, 2nd of day)

A few wisps of cloud scud across the sky, warm sun beaming down. A soft breeze blows across the grass.

Brilliant 'sunlight' eh?  I wonder if I can use that..

Lets try a bit more heat.  Take a bigger stick and try to change which end is on fire, aiming to delay the transfer until I can store the fire or I hurt myself.

..After that, lets see if I can absorb a little from my skin instead.  Walk towards the forest, seeing if I can absorb extra heat from the brilliant light.

..And then see if I can throw a fireball with just hand and arm movements.

Hmm. It looks like the heat is routing itself through your mana. Attaching a string to both ends of a stick allows you to siphon the heat from one to another just fine, and the speed of that transference is based on how quickly you allow the mana to flow between. It seems there's not even really a chance of hurting yourself, since the mana doesn't have to physically pass through you!

It's... doable, there's just not that much heat that you can safely take before chills break out over your body. Brr! You note that the Flow seems agitated by your new state of unhealth. Trying to take heat from the 'sunlight' doesn't seem to work, at least for now. Lose 1 health, 1 mana.

Taking all the heat you've gathered and storing it in a single ball of mana, you metaphorically pitch this mana construct up into the air, arm motion and mind in sync. When you release the orb from your will it continues flying forward, glimmering brilliantly as it travels. The orb moves too quickly to observe with your inner sight, but after travelling a couple paces the construct pops like a soap bubble, a wave of warmer than usual air blowing over you.

...success? Lose 2 mana, 2 hunger.

Rawrh! Annihilate the training dummy with my pick!
4 ((Extra attempt using bonus turn))
You attack the training dummy with all the ferocity of a swarm of cats. Grass flies, wood chips, training, training, training! When you're done with it and the dust settles, the poor thing is basically a pile of scrap. Your stomach grumbles. Intermediate combat learned, lose 3 hunger, locations updated.

Attempt to learn telekinesis with a pebble. Try concepts like grab/hold and MINE/extension of body. I expect it will be like the magic edge spell, and either need me to keep focus, or to lock it into place.

Meditate and try to work towards conscious mana recovery. Try to spin my mana like I noticed before falling asleep last night. Carefully remember the warning not to integrate external mana carelessly, but a little bit (1 unit) is probably fine.

Hmm. If telekinesis is achievable, those concepts seem to be the wrong ones.

Well. It would indeed seem like rotating your core does pull external energy in. You can even see wisps of it in your mind's eye, at the border between the energy not being yours and becoming yours. Pursuing this perception might lead to being able to see external mana.

However, while fiddling with this technique, you may have drawn in more than you really wanted to. Your vision pulses, colors dancing. Invisible spiders crawl upon your back, and you think that eating a handful of grass would be a great way to advance your studies of magic! The sensations fade fairly quickly, though your own warped memories are a disturbing thing to think back on. Gain 2 mana. Lose 2 hunger.

Use my awareness of the magic to try to conjure up something. An animal of some kind should be nice.
With all the confidence of a master sculptor, you draw energy from within and, painstakingly over multiple hours, shape the blob of floating energy into a shape that vaguely resembles a frog. Eventually you lose focus, and it returns to being a spherical blob in your mind's eye.

Definitely a drastic improvement in your ability to manipulate the energy! Lose 1 hunger, 1 mana.

First off, let's have some food, because I am hungry.
Second... okay, I have these magic tendrils. What can I do with them...
Can I pick something up with the tendrils? That feels kind of like something that could be done.
And what if I touch somebody else's tendrils or core with mine? Let's see if anybody would be willing to help test that.

You eat quite a few of the shed bits of meat, before moving on to magic practice. Gain 5 hunger, locations updated.

Nathan seems available, and the muttering about 'birds flying in spirals' and 'grass on the skin of the mind' isn't enough to dissuade you from such an enthusiastic test subject!
When you reach a tendril inside Nathan's body, it very quickly gets ripped apart by some unseen force, which Nathan reports seemed like his body mana took offense to the intrusion. You weren't really able to pick up or sense anything yourself, so you're just gonna have to take his word for it. Sigh.
Making tendrils intersect within the mind's eye is difficult when distance is vague and there's no landmarks, but you manage it. They seem to mostly not interact with each other, though Nathan did find he was able to force a small portion of his mana into yours. This made your tendril vastly harder to control, however, and you barely manage to cut it off before losing control entirely; thankfully, it doesn't whiplash back into your core! Lose 1 mana.

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

Thinking of giving some more Fate style concepts a try. Specifically for combat, it might be nice to have combat be single or two turn resolvable things with a decent system, rather than taking multiple days or needing to spin down the time periods for a number of combat only turns. In general I find combat tends to be the least interesting part of TTRPGs and such, so thoughts and opinions are welcome.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2022, 09:04:28 pm »

That was an actual fireball!  Yay!

Celebrate with some jumping around and cartwheels.

Collect and eat some more pears.  Look around for more kinds of food to gather.  Collect some short straight wooden rods, like a foot in length, and a longer straight branch similar to a quarterstaff, a bit longer than Alice is tall.

While doing this, try to store more heat energy from the sun on my skin, like before.  Can I keep it around in my mana indefinately?

After all this, drag back some more wood for the fire.  Tomorrow will be a busy day.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2022, 04:04:45 pm »

Spoiler: Nathan (click to show/hide)

Slowly spin my core again, only aiming to gather 1 mana total this time. Try to notice and catch the wisps instead of absorbing them. I'd like to pool the collected external mana together in a string and practice my Magic Edge spell with it, or uselessly release it if that's too much.

Try not to get carried away and go over 10 mana. I'd rather release it uselessly than go above 10.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2022, 02:25:50 pm »

Well, I have these mana tendril things, I guess. And I think I saw somebody cutting stuff without directly cutting it. Or, well. You get the point.
Let’s see if I can figure out how to stab stuff with my mana tendrils? I mean, if it can interact with stuff, then it seems like the key would just be to make the tip pointy...
Also, the magic is in my body. Can I... I dunno, use it to reinforce my body? I think I have a rough idea of how muscles work, they’re kind of like tendrils, could I use the magic tendrils as extra muscles?

Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2022, 04:31:01 am »

Spoiler: Danni (click to show/hide)

Is it too late to join in? And how are we doing new adds, make actions for previous days or just drop-in at this moment?
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12