Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I wrestle?  (Read 1021 times)

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I wrestle?
« on: September 01, 2006, 08:28:00 pm »

Hey guys I just got this game, I can figure out how to grapple someone but,, wheres the menu I can open up to select moves to do? I searched the command key but nothing. Please help.

Kitan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com
Re: How do I wrestle?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 08:32:00 pm »

When next to an opponent, hold down shift, and press A. Select the oppnent.

Then, it should say something about pressing enter to change combat mode or something, do it.

You should then be tooken to the Wrestle
command list, where you can choose various limbs to grab opponents with.
I suggest pressing up, so you'll cycle to the back of the list, and use the your hands. They're much more effective than "Lower Arm"(Elbow) or, "Upper Arm"(Your shoulder, basically.)

I hope that was helpful.

hy is there a penguin on my rooftop?

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 11:42:00 pm »

Thanks for the help! Yeah I was just selecting attack, didnt know you could hit enter to change to do moves. Very interesting things you can do with them hehe. The only thing i havent done yet is killed anyone by wrestling.

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 12:17:00 am »

I wanted to edit my post but coudlnt figure out how. One question I do have is why would you want to grab someones upper leg with your lower arm? that and many other strange positions. Are there some special hidden locks that you can only learn if you try some wierd things?

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 04:09:00 am »

Mostly, grabbing the upper arm/leg will allow you to break their shoulder or hip.
Lower arm/leg is for their elbow/knee.
Hand/Foot allows you to break their wrist or ankle.

Breaking the above locaions will render the limb more or less useless, stopping them from attacking with it (i think.) or being able to walk, if you've broken half of their legs. (or so it seems, with my... experiments with big cats.)

Grabbing them by the head allows you to gouge their eyes out, while grabbing them by the throat allows you to strangle them.

Grabbing them by the body mostly seems to work as just holding them, though, several of the locations you grab do allow you to throw them (usually to the ground before you.) or take them down (pushing them down directly before you.)

Knocking them down without breaking their legs is rather sneaky, as you can wait for them to get up, then charge at them again and keep alternating moves.

You can also use it to grab worn items (including weapons.) to prevent them being used against you, and even snatch them away. Beating an undead pike master with his own weapon is always fun.

Toady's mentioned that the system's going to be changed at some point, that, without looking at his dev/bloat lists, i can only assume means that the menu will be changed so have you work by the limb you want to use and the part you want to grab. in turn, not all in a list at once. And there's the promise of 'dirty' moves, he mentioned too, such as slitting your foes throat. That one i'm looking forward to most. I mean... err..

I hope that helps you some.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 09:28:00 am »

He has, incidentally, also promised targeted shots with your weilded weapons.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 09:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mayday:
<STRONG>He has, incidentally, also promised targeted shots with your weilded weapons.</STRONG>

That'd be great too. Yeah, i'd hammer everything in the legs then. I'd no longer have to charge and knock down enemies, grab their ankles and break them, before running everything in the ruins around behind me while tossing stones, butterflies and lizards at them to build up my throwing skills.

Last character i did that with ended up killing an iron man, who he then wielded as a weapon, that turned out in the end, to not be quite such a good weapon choice. Still, it was amusing breaking a frogmans skull by bashing him over the head with an iron statue.

Varil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 11:12:00 am »

...there should be some sort of strength check for that.

Still, awesome. Beating your enemies to death with the corpses of their fallen comrades is the win.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 09:10:00 am »

How do I do this "gouge out eyes" wrestleing move that everyone keeps talking about.  I've locked and broken limbs before and I've tried grabing the head for secondary options.  I don't see an item on the list to "gouge eyes".
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 09:54:00 am »

You can only gouge eyes out with your hands.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 10:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Shador:
<STRONG>You can only gouge eyes out with your hands.</STRONG>

Ohhhh....  I see.  Silly me for not thinking to drop my sword or shield to do it.  Thanks!
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 04:34:00 am »

I have created a entry in the wiki for wrestling : http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Wrestling

For now it mainly consits in your post, Silleh Boy. The article would of course need some reworking.

[ September 06, 2006: Message edited by: flap ]