Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Endedtreasure: The Anti-Museum - come destroy artifacts!  (Read 9427 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Endedtreasure: The Anti-Museum - come destroy artifacts!
« on: July 17, 2022, 11:25:20 pm »

Endedtreasure
The Anti-Museum
In the early days of the Age of Heroes, there stood a rutile temple, purple as miasma, quiet as the dead. Decades ago, when the Prime Angelic Urn dug too deep in Urnshoots, Ogo Steamblade forced himself onto our world, bringing with him goblins, demons and death. The Urn survived, but was forever changed. The dwarves who only knew death turned to Ibruk the Fated, who made this his domain. Although the faiths are many - The Dead Cult, The Order of Ghosts, The Coven of Oblivion - their root was the same. His faithful marched to the East, and in a small mountainside, carved their rutile home.

There stood Endedtreasure, grave of artifacts.

Welcome to Endedtreasure, a succession adventure mode game!
After a brief discussion with his peers, delphonso has decided to outsource an experiment with crushing artifacts and whether or not they come back. Mastermind and masterbrewer brewer bob suggested this, so blame him. The true purpose of this game will be to keep track of which artifacts we destroy and if /any/ of them return to the world. Toady says they do, so let's see it happen.

What is Endedtreasure?
Endedtreasure is a succession adventure mode game where we try to collect artifacts and give them a good atom-smashing in the titular fortress "Endedtreasure". See the post below for the backstory.

Can I play?

Please do! Literally we're trying to destroy stuff, so it's not like you're going to fuck stuff up too bad. This is a great opportunity to play a silly, stupid or badly built character/characters.

I have a shitty computer...can I play?
Of course, fellow shitty-computer-haver. I tried setting the world up in a way that should reduce lag. Most sites are pretty light on civilians. This does also make things a bit harder because it seems the undead/nightbeasts have proliferated. Of course places like Dark Fortresses are always going to be rough on your device. (I recommend going in at night because everyone's asleep and therefore, not pathing.) Endedtreasure is a very small site and currently only has about 20 residents.

-=-=- Scoring Rules -=-=-

Scoring will follow this formula:
Slab crushed: 15pts
Weapon artifacts crushed: 10 pts
non-weapon artifacts crushed: 5 pts
Books crushed: 2pts

Historical Figures killed: -1pts
Other kills: 1pts each

Crushing yourself with the artifacts is a x2 modifier - doesn't stack if you're squashing a whole party of adventurers, though I might give bonus points for the mayhem.

Look - it's the ANTI-MUSEUM. These dudes should suck.

Spoiler: Scoreboard (click to show/hide)

Turn order:
Turn 1: delphonso
Turn 2: AvolitionBrit
Turn 3: brewer bob
Turn 4: delphonso
Turn 5: brewer bob
Turn 6: the unbending will of time
Turn 7: brewer bob
Turn 8: Salmeuk
Turn 9: delphonso
Turn 10: you, fair traveller?

Endedtreasure has a few pedestals with steels shields and swords, as well as a few empty pedestals for any /particularly good items/ you consider saving. Keep in mind, someone might just take those and crush them for the points though!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 07:38:16 pm by delphonso »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Endedtreasure: The Anti-Museum - come destroy artifacts!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 11:25:47 pm »

Information about the world:

World:
Cadeniathira: The Destined Plane

Cadeniathira is 200 years old. The megabeasts were all killed (a dragon, roc and bronze colossus), though most of the Forgotten Beasts and Semi-mega beasts are still truckin'. One Titan still survives. You'll find many night creatures and undead in this world.

Civilizations:
The Prime Angelic Urns is the dwarven civilization. They mostly worship death and are a gloomy sort. They like to hold crossbow throwing competitions which suggests to me that they haven't figured out how those things are supposed to be used. In the year 62, they dug too deep in Urnshoots, unleashing hell on Cadeniathira.

The Tail of Years is the elven civilization. They're holding on by just a thread. You can see their collapsed sites in the northeast. One still remains, a bastion of sorts.

Chreersnus is the kobold civilization. They're shockingly successful in this world. I don't know how many are left, but they've collected heaps of artifacts in their cave "Spurtgloom"

The Empire of Nourishing is the human civilization. They seem to be doing well except every hamlet and castle I visited was actively under attack by undead or night creatures. So...maybe they won't be doing well for long.

The Parched Hell is the native goblin population. Their leader, Oson, a capybara brute who was probably very snuggly, was killed by an elephant in year 14 at Bootcanyon, an elven forest retreat. The elves seem to have taken the brunt of the goblin attacks, which explains why they're so weak now. These goblins have sort of limped along without their master ever since.

The Seduction of Trickery is the goblin civilization unleashed from under Urnshoots. Their master Ogo, a very snuggly tapir brute, is an experimenter and has created the Demons of Ogo (large feathered mandabled creatures we can play as) as well as the folly of Urnshoot, a feathered maggot. Ogo is still very much a threat to the world.

There is also a tower and I think two necromantic slabs out there.

Endedtreasure:
Endedtreasure itself is populated by a bunch of edgelords off to the east.

In my first attempt to set this up, I kept detailed notes on the place but then it was destroyed by goblins by the time my adventurer got there, so I reverted to a backup save and started over. As such, I didn't keep good notes on it. Look, the only important thing to know is this:

To prevent the same thing happening again, I made a group of 6 or so large, skilled adventurers to work as a defensive force for Endedtreasure. Since all I did was retire them in the fortress after starting their journey there, they didn't even show up in Legends mode, as they have no events tied to them. Their yaks do, though.

List of Artifacts and Status:
Mirelull the Superior Mirror, Iron war hammer - Uso
The First Buzzard, Dwarf bone bed
The Group of Brigands, Bismuth bronze spear
Charmbrutes, Fungiwood Puzzlebox
Fingerlearning the Chartreuse Flower, Silver spear
Anguishedguild, Iron battle axe
The Delight of Bulbs, Copper short sword - Uso
Scorchedlustrous the Glen of Dwelling, Silver battle axe
Meanarches, Copper war hammer
Charmeddwelling, Bronze spear
Troubletouches the Evaporated God, Copper spear
Screamedlords, Steel war hammer - Uso
Nullfamine, Silver spear
Groundsinew, Copper war hammer - Uso
Combinedmurders the Sick Sand, Dwarf bone grate - Uso
The Red Sickness, Dwarf bone bin
Diedgoad the Ashen Mouth, Dwarf bone helm - Uso
Parchedbraid the Exit of Celebrating, Copper shield - Human
Shockeddwelled the Quill of Blame, Steel battle axe
Weatheredbitten the Attack of Racks, Silver short sword - Hibor
The Fierce Plank, Steel spear - Uso
Fienddepth the Cloud of Torture, Chicken bone coffin
The Blunt End, Levin opal bracelet
The Rancorous Gallows, Dwarf bone animal trap
Holdkindled the Gaze of Competition, Almond wood bracelet
Soarreigns, Spiked bronze ball
The Handle of Influences, Enormous steel corkscrew - Hibor
The Tan Skirt, Bronze mace
Sackerased, Bronze crossbow
Defectdip the Sacrifical Roads, Bone opal mug
The Helm of Scrapes, Almond wood iwo
The Taut Shade, Diorite mug
The Violet Whip, Marble amulet
Furfondled, Indigo tourmaline scepter
Sizzledtome, Alabaster crown

Dungadore, Twinkling metal slab
The Fatal Dead, Realgar slab
Ashdusts, Pink jade slab

Player named:
The Maw of Hollows, large copper helm
The Destined Taker, large copper gauntlet
The Oblivion, large copper gauntlet
The Wraith of Souls, large copper chain leggings
The Blade of Death, copper scimitar
The Barricade of Strikes, copper shield
The Boot of Ancients, large copper high boot
The Boot of Shadows, large copper high boot
- Audited by Human Mantaxes

Spoiler: Books (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 07:43:31 am by delphonso »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 11:26:19 pm »

It's Worms
Misadventures of a worm man who just wanted to kill himself.

(some screenshots are from the first attempt, so some discrepancies may occur. Writhe is a peasant in this save, for instance.)

It's not easy being a worm. Sure, having two arms helps keep the birds away, but at the end of the day, you're only a bit bigger than a dog and everyone treats you like dirt. And not the good dirt that I like to eat. The bad dirt.

One of my patients (may he rest in peace) told me about this place - a temple of sorts to the East named Endedtreasure. He said that the dwarves there are all obsessed with death and trying to rid the world of artifacts.

Now I've never been to keen on the whole "craftsdwarfship" thing that everyone's obsessed about here. But it gave me an idea. If bringing a couple books will buy me a one-way ticket to the afterlife, I'm in like I'm in a pile of horse shit.
The good kind.

So I gathered up my earthwormly possessions and Snuggles, my pet, and headed off. Certainly someone will tend those patients I left behind. They all seem to have a lot of infections. Anyway! First things first, I need to find some books to offer. Of course my own collection was ruined because...well I live in a wet mound of dirt, so...

I sat for a moment and pondered the rumors I'd heard about what books had been making the rounds. Of course, we worm folk all know about the slab...and what was the other one...?

Well, temples usually have books, right? Certainly they won't mind if I nick one for myself.

I travelled to the nearest shrine, comfortably located in the middle of hell on earth. The grass kept looking at me and harpies circled over head. Poor Snuggles got spooked and ran for the hills. I hope he's okay!

I moved on to a castle and found a book beautifully arranged on a mound of dirt. It felt a shame to even pick it up and disturb its fine display.

(I usually use my right hand, but to each his own)

My travels turned hard from then on. Not content to starve to death, I had to kill a few woodland creatures and turn them into quick meals. My travels led me to a small temple just south of where Endedtreasure is supposed to be.

Resting on a pedestal, I found another book. Seeing as the temple was abandoned, I figured I'd pick it up as well. Might as well roll some dice while I'm here.

Damn the Gods that aren't Ibruk! Truly this is only a minor inconvenience. I'm roughly the same size and could even slip back into my clothes if not for the lack of thumbs.
(If a dog wore gauntlets would they wear them like this or like this?)

Actually, I quite liked having 4 limbs for once. I ran around the nearby hills, chasing my tail. When I laid down to rest for the night, I found myself back in my worm man body. A shame, I was just getting used to it.

In the shadow of the mountains, I noticed a broken wooden road. Following it, I found a dwarf lying on the cold grass.

Ah, sir... Would you like me to check that for you? His spine also seems to be broken, though he crawls around respectfully fast.

Following the wooden road I met a group of...unusual sorts.

Demons of Ogo, crocodile and alligator men, tiger men too, oh my! They all seemed to just be praising a few yaks that stood amongst them.

They were the friendly sort, despite their appearances. They called themselves "Ibruk's Chosen", a group of guardians for Endedtreasures. By the Fated! That must mean this is Endedtreasure! Alas my suffering is over.

I squirmed a bit away, lit a fire and enjoyed my last night of life.

And then

It's not easy being a worm. You wake up surrounded by towering dingoes, looking to make you lunch - and not in the good way.
I'm not ending this on your terms, though. I'm my own worm.

Dodge! Slice! Slash! Block! Dodge! Scramble! Slash! I'm Writhe Eatdirt, travelling swordsworm and master of the shield, I won't fall so easily!

Okay! Maybe I will! A dingo punched me in the guts and now I can't stop puking.

But there - I can just make out the silhouettes of Ibruk's Chosen. If it weren't for these two books weighing me down, I might be able to make a run for it.

I drop all my emu meat and about 40 ice cubes I was planning to eat later. I slip out of my helm and gauntlets, drop my shield and sword and sprint, fully nude toward Endedtreasure.

And then, from the crowd...a yak.

A dingo goes flying over Gripes and lands somewhere amongst the trees to the south. Another yak rushes into the fray! If I survive this, I'll give you all a good pet. No wonder the Ibruk's Chosen were doing that. The guardians jump to action, rushing to the aid of their bovine companions.

I spot one of the dwarves petting a dog and notably not helping.

And in a few moments, it's all over. I'm alive and so is everyone who isn't a dingo. And in that brief moment, I felt it. The beauty of life.

To hell with these books, I want to live!

I walk down into Endedtreasure, following the ancient traditions of the dwarves here.

I pull the lever, standing just inches from the business end of the compactor.

And then, it is over.

And finally, I complete the ancient ritual.

That ends my journey for now - just a worm man with a new lease on life: that is, the destruction of all dingoes.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Crushed (2 books):
Ceaselessly Lone
The Great Inkedbalanced
4 points

Notable kills:

Other kills:
4 woodland creatures
4 points

Did not crush self:
0 points

Total: 8 points.

Spoiler: Writhe and artifacts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 12:55:01 am by delphonso »

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 01:59:12 am »

This looks fascinating. I wondered how an adventurer would fare in destroying artifacts considering the hoops I had to jump through to get a slab condemned to magma in smallhands.
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 03:41:17 am »

To do so without having an atom smasher on hand would certainly be tough. You could perhaps walk to the nearest volcano and pitch them in, but some materials wouldn't mind... Considering how fluids get weird from fortress to adventure mode...maybe I could rig up some sort of...self immolation chamber in the future. Otherwise, the volcano is just a quick trot away from Endedtreasure. I'll accept sacrifices thrown into Armok's blood as equivalent to destruction in Endedtreasure.

Crushing artifacts in fortress mode was a pain. Often it lead to me crushing several masterworks along with it in a dumped bin...

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 04:28:05 am »

Sign me up for a turn. Let's see what kinda of score I can get.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 04:49:19 am »

It'll be exciting to see all the wondrous artifacts that move through this fort, and then it'll be even more exciting to see them destroyed.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 10:38:45 am »

Haha, wonderful!

You can sign me up for a turn, @delphonso.

ps. What's with you and all this gelding?  :D

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 04:31:50 pm »

Here is the save, AvolitionBrit! Have fun and enjoy the glorious destruction of artifacts.

Sorry, I forgot to post the save - rushed the posts during a lunch break and it took a bit longer than I expected. I'll get a list of all the artifacts and books and post it to this thread as well, so we can more easily keep track of which have been destroyed and if any reappear.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 05:00:36 pm »

Will start tomorrow. How much time do i have?

Drunken scholar

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 05:23:06 pm »

Whatever feels reasonable to yourself and courteous to others. One week or two seems fine.

Updates help keep the game fresh in the mind.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 05:25:20 pm »

Will take a week. This world is gonna feel pain.

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 07:49:47 pm »

this is a great idea, and a very fruitful narrative generator - every adventurer will have their own reasons for destroying the found objects. And some might find conflict in the destruction - after all this time with some great blade, to be asked to reduce it to mere atoms would be painful, no?

edit:
Endedtreasure itself is populated by a bunch of edgelords off to the east.

lol . are you insuinuating something about us, hmmmmm ??

The worm story had me spinning. I was confounded by the horse shit analogy until I recalled, "Ah, yes, worms."

How does a worm wear a backpack? Where are the shoulders supposed to go . . relative to other animal peoples in DF, worm people are definitely closer to eldritch horror than furry alt.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 07:59:36 pm by Salmeuk »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 11:41:07 pm »

I'll take tangoing with dingoes over the fight with harpies that Snuggles got into... Poor little guy.

Thanks for the kind words - I think brewer bob had a great idea here and yeah - the story potential is a lot of fun. I really did intend to just make a shitty adventurer and kill him off for a low score, but when I survived the dingo attack I was so pumped I just wanted him to stick around for a while. Sorry if the writing was a bit incomprehensible - it was blasted out from memory in a lunch break.

Will take a week. This world is gonna feel pain.

Looking forward to it!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2022, 03:51:25 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6