Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)  (Read 34568 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)
« on: July 18, 2022, 10:33:29 am »

An Eldar stands before you. He is dressed as a jester, with wild blue and red patterns including checkers and polkadots at seemingly random places. His face is painted with a human handprint in red on a blue background.

He gives a theatrical and elaborate bow. None of the many bells on his hat jingle at his movements. "Welcome my esteemed hosts to the first act of the final act! We are sure to turn the fortunes of this galaxy around...and those of your house as well, of course."

He hops out of the bow. "You are busy people of a short-lived race, so I'll do away with the typical greeting of my kind. You are also a people in love with danger and adventure, correct? I have three leads for you as of now. I'll start with the most dangerous."

"Long ago we attempted to create an automated battleship. Yes, that is right, not a raider nor a cruiser but a full-blown battleship! In our tongue its name is quite long, in yours we shall call it the 'Eternal Hope'. It was meant to be a hero to my people. To save us from danger and protect us from evil. Yet fate is so cruel to my kind! It had betrayed us almost as soon as its construction was finished."

The Eldar-who has yet to give his name in introduction-gestures and paces with his speech as if he's giving a monologue in a play.

"This artifact we are to collect is a powerful source of energy. Thus the Eternal Hope acts as a moving treasure chest full of the object of our affection. Yet this ship is cunning and powerful. Mighty as your own ship is, you would be well advised to gather allies or 'acquire' additional ships before engaging it in battle."

'Acquire' was accompanied by a knowing wink.

"Once you have the firepower to bring it low we will then have to track it down before we can defeat it. Take care to avoid damaging the invaluable stones aboard. All is for naught if you decimate the exact thing we fought the ship to acquire. Ah, I see that twinkle in your eye! I'm quite sorry to say taking the Eternal Hope for your own is quite impossible. Once we drag the corrupted components out the ship will be a non-functional husk. Leaving them in would, of course, simply result in the ship attempting to kill you once again."

He holds up two fingers.

"Our next lead is at a space station known as the Headless Aquila. As I said before the artifact that may save our galaxy can be used as a source of power. It is coveted by the forces of Chaos for this exact reason. A particular Sorcerer has gathered quite the impressive horde at this station. A particularly powerful Sorcerer at that - even when he is not empowering himself with his horde. Worse yet the station is teaming with the forces of Chaos. Still while the sorcerer holds a position of power on the station it is not his to command, he has nearly as many enemies on the station as you do. Loyalty is not a virtue to traitors. While this may sound just as dangerous - and perhaps much more so to your very souls - if you play your cards right -"

This was accompanied by the Eldar pulling out a hand of playing cards from apparently nowhere. They vanish just as quickly.

"you may not need to fight at all. Unlike the Eternal Hope these will be in the form of gems and easily moved by hand. I will not tell you how to do your jobs. How you acquire them is up to you.

He holds up three fingers.

"Finally this is perhaps the safest, if not entirely without danger. Many millennia ago my people had settled on a Maiden World. A world of lush fields and exotic wildlife. Your people had discovered our small piece of paradise and fought to take it for themselves. They succeeded in driving my people away and claimed the world for your Imperium. Still my own people did not give up on the world. We had attempted to drive you off the planet in many indirect ways. Yet this only had the opposite effect on the rather stubborn population of Rook's Crown. They transformed our paradise into a fortress world to insure they would never be dislodged. And to this day they haven't been! This experience has given them a rather dim outlook on aliens, my people especially. It is said their hatred for 'xenos' is only matched by their love of the Imperium.

When my people where driven off the world we left many of the artifacts behind. They are now buried deep within the surface of the world. It will take several months worth of extraction using heavy equipment to recover them. The locals are likely to be friendly and supportive so long as they believe you are humans working for a human cause. Especially to a military man such as yourself. Violence is unlikely unless you really manage to incite their rage. Still potential for failure exists. Unfortunately in return for this safety the payout is lower than the other two leads"

He cups his hand to his pointed ear.

"And those are all the leads I have gathered for you. I will keep my ears open for more. Expect the next batch after you complete one of the current leads."

He stands at attention.

"Are there any questions before you lead me to my room? There is much I need to do to make myself comfortable. This is likely to be a long journey after all."

You had just completed negotiations with the Eldar, facilitated by a Corsair in their pirate hideout on a moon of a gas giant in uncharted space. While not ideal to have the negotiations in territory they control it did allow them to install an advanced payment in the form of a Runecaster component. During negotiations it had seemed as if your Eldar representative would be one of the Corsairs. It seems that instead it will be this Eldar clown. He appeared alone and without any ceremony approximately thirty minutes after the contract was signed.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 01:06:04 pm »

"I do have questions." Marco voiced, wooden pipe put aside while talking to his 'illustrious' guest for the sake of politesse. He then went straight to the point while keeping his tone level. "First, may you tell us your name or how you wish to be addressed? And second, will you delegate the leads untaken to other agents or crews?"

The first and the third were the most interesting ones for him. While he didn't doubt his ability to play the heretics against each other if he wanted, that'd still feel wrong unless as a last-ditch option. He'd rather annihilate them and have their foul gods collect on their damned souls instead, which would likely make the mission that much harder.

"Third, any leads as to how we could 'acquire' further ships without indisposing ourselves with the Imperium? Warship cemeteries hidden in corners only your kind knows, aliens willing to exchange information for favors, pirates whose back we could break, perhaps a Dynasty in deeper struggles willing to form an alliance?"
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 03:49:31 pm »

Indaria watched in expressionless silence from behind her charge. She was sure she'd get her chance to voice her opinion later, for now she watched, and waited, noting how the Eldar's casual display of rapidly changing posture and general volitility demonstrated a very highly developed sense of balance, and ability to attack from almost any position. Her goals were simple, she didn't need to worry about whatever was being said, what she needed to worry about was what the being before her was capable of, and she didn't like how it seemed to potentially be a constant threat.

Her tail flicked as the Eldar produced cards from nowhere, and the thought crossed her mind of all the other similarly-sized things that could have been produced. This being could seriously be trouble.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 03:51:45 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 05:17:31 pm »

Symonne tapped away at her slate, making sure everything said was recorded for the sake of posterity. Oh, the autoquill was doing the same thing with the aid of a vox recorder, but the seneschal rather trusted her mind over the device's sometimes slow machine spirit. A corner of that mind couldn't help but be awed by the strange Eldar jester's performance skills; she didn't know exactly what purpose they served at this meeting but it was undeniably impressive.

"I have some questions of my own, if I may. First off, while building a larger fleet is all well and good, we will need someplace to gather and supply said fleet until we are ready to locate and disable this 'Eternal Hope', assuming we do wind up going after it. A feral world wouldn't be able to support starships long-term, and depending on which allies we wind up gathering a proper Imperial port might ask awkward questions. Could we perhaps use this moon as a rally point? If not, do the Eldar know of any suitable anchorages?"

"Second, you mentioned payment. I would like some figures attached to each of these jobs as a starting point, something to aid in the decision-making process."
Symonne smiled politely, taking on her role of majordomo.

"Third, are there any reasonable demands that we can meet while you are a guest aboard our vessel? Furnishings, dietary needs, things of that nature. The journey may be long, like you say, but there it doesn't have to be too uncomfortable."
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 11:09:30 pm »

"I do have questions." Marco voiced, wooden pipe put aside while talking to his 'illustrious' guest for the sake of politesse. He then went straight to the point while keeping his tone level. "First, may you tell us your name or how you wish to be addressed? And second, will you delegate the leads untaken to other agents or crews?"

The first and the third were the most interesting ones for him. While he didn't doubt his ability to play the heretics against each other if he wanted, that'd still feel wrong unless as a last-ditch option. He'd rather annihilate them and have their foul gods collect on their damned souls instead, which would likely make the mission that much harder.

"Third, any leads as to how we could 'acquire' further ships without indisposing ourselves with the Imperium? Warship cemeteries hidden in corners only your kind knows, aliens willing to exchange information for favors, pirates whose back we could break, perhaps a Dynasty in deeper struggles willing to form an alliance?"

"Ah, are you worried that your prize may be stolen from you? You need not be. This arrangement we've forged is something special. Few houses have been chosen as candidates, fewer still accepted the offer. Those that did are spread across the galaxy. You are the only ones currently active in this general area. There was another, but she seems to have run off after breaking our deal. Paths untaken will remain options in the future. Perhaps the more volatile situations will evolve in your absence, but those that have been stable for centuries will continue to be stable. You are free to pursue one lead, drop it half way to follow another, then divert yourself to something else entirely and come back to the first if you so choose."

He puts his finger to his chin in an exaggerated thinking pose.

"All my recent intelligence gathering has been in a much different direction and taken all of my time. I know of no such conveniences, though if I should give you the coordinates of the Headless Aquila perhaps you could prey upon those wishing to make use of its unholy services. I imagine the Imperial Navy outpost would hardly find it 'indisposing' should you ask your friends in the Battlefleet for a list of pirates, should you not want to enlist their aid nor attempt to barter for their ships. I'm sure a man of the void like yourself can think of many ways to 'acquire' a ship, many more than little-old-me could possibly dream up. If you want to find a Rogue Trader or alien ally I'm sure you know better than me where to look."

He gives a broad smile.

"And first but not least I'm afraid I lost my name long ago. This may seem strange to humans, but I've taken so many names over the many years of my life I can hardly be expected to remember something as trivial as which one I took first. Call me any name you like, I will never deny it."

Symonne tapped away at her slate, making sure everything said was recorded for the sake of posterity. Oh, the autoquill was doing the same thing with the aid of a vox recorder, but the seneschal rather trusted her mind over the device's sometimes slow machine spirit. A corner of that mind couldn't help but be awed by the strange Eldar jester's performance skills; she didn't know exactly what purpose they served at this meeting but it was undeniably impressive.

"I have some questions of my own, if I may. First off, while building a larger fleet is all well and good, we will need someplace to gather and supply said fleet until we are ready to locate and disable this 'Eternal Hope', assuming we do wind up going after it. A feral world wouldn't be able to support starships long-term, and depending on which allies we wind up gathering a proper Imperial port might ask awkward questions. Could we perhaps use this moon as a rally point? If not, do the Eldar know of any suitable anchorages?"

"Second, you mentioned payment. I would like some figures attached to each of these jobs as a starting point, something to aid in the decision-making process."
Symonne smiled politely, taking on her role of majordomo.

"Third, are there any reasonable demands that we can meet while you are a guest aboard our vessel? Furnishings, dietary needs, things of that nature. The journey may be long, like you say, but there it doesn't have to be too uncomfortable."

He shrugs, lifting one foot. His bells still don't manage to jingle.

"I am but a humble diplomat unable to make such decisions. If you want to continue to use this fine base you'll have to ask the Prince in charge of it. I'm certain you can find many other anchorages of varying quality throughout the Expanse."

He then makes the 'money" gesture with both hands.

"As for pay.."

He goes into a detailed description of what the payout for each mission is. Each has a different set of goods, promises, and contracts as part of a payment package. Some are certainly novel, like the right to a limited tax of Corsairs in a certain region, while others are completely standard like a truckload of Gelt.

In game terms the Hunt for the Eternal Hope and Headless Aquila missions are worth 5 Profit Factor, while Rook's Crown is worth 3.

"As per our contract I will take room and board similar to the Trader's Retinue. Human food suits me fine, and I'm able to make myself comfortable. Still my race's pride would not let them settle for anything lesser than what respected members of the ship would receive. I certainly can not expect more than that."

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 04:42:35 am »

Just noting that Regina is on the Bridge and listening attentively, but doesn't have much to say to the Eldar.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 08:47:10 am »

A frown on his face, Marco spent a few seconds contemplating the answers and options before speaking up. While wasn't the sort to easily run away from challenges, there seemed to be no reason to hurry towards the most difficult tasks.

"I believe Rook's Crown to be the best option for now. Without time sensitivity risking our yields, we should make sure to strength our bases further before chasing after riskier endeavors. It'd be trivial to acquire some extra machinery and pick up what we need."

"Any objections?"
It was a genuine query since while he believed that to be the best option at the moment, the commanding officers' opinion might shed some unexpected light.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2022, 09:35:08 am »

"No objections."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 04:48:48 pm »

Marco was relieved that, though hastily-assembled, his command crew seemed to be working well. They just weren't allowed to fail, being given a mission of such grave importance... He moved the pipe between his fingers, remembering how he at first thought it was some sort of blasphemous joke or scam to be told one of the holy Primarchs, the Regent and son of the Emperor himself required their aid as part of a larger struggle.

But he was nothing if not a believer, and the lord-captain had what amounted to proof that was either undeniably genuine or so expertly falsified it'd have been a waste of time to use its glimmering powers of deceit on an upstart Trader. Had it been luck or research that had brought the alien to a captain who followed a fringe branch of the Imperial Faith? One spread across voidborn, colonists and the frontier that was a lot less harsh on psykers—as they were common among spacefarers—and xenos—as trade sometimes flourished with them.

"I will convey the necessary living arrangements and required etiquette to the crew." After a pause, he asked of the colorful diplomat: "Would jester be considered an offensive term?"
>Yes?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 06:08:15 pm »

"No objections, my lord."

In truth she was rather pleased; if the dig took as long as the "humble diplomat" implied, she would have time to make inquiries on the other tasks and perhaps lay some groundwork towards acquiring additional vessels. The reward, smaller though it may be, would go a long way towards actually affording such things as well.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 11:48:27 am »

A frown on his face, Marco spent a few seconds contemplating the answers and options before speaking up. While wasn't the sort to easily run away from challenges, there seemed to be no reason to hurry towards the most difficult tasks.

"I believe Rook's Crown to be the best option for now. Without time sensitivity risking our yields, we should make sure to strength our bases further before chasing after riskier endeavors. It'd be trivial to acquire some extra machinery and pick up what we need."

"Any objections?"
It was a genuine query since while he believed that to be the best option at the moment, the commanding officers' opinion might shed some unexpected light.

The jester once again gives a theatrical bow.

"I shall send the location of Rook's Crown to your Navigator, and I'll leave the location of the dig site on your desk. Best of luck!"

Marco was relieved that, though hastily-assembled, his command crew seemed to be working well. They just weren't allowed to fail, being given a mission of such grave importance... He moved the pipe between his fingers, remembering how he at first thought it was some sort of blasphemous joke or scam to be told one of the holy Primarchs, the Regent and son of the Emperor himself required their aid as part of a larger struggle.

But he was nothing if not a believer, and the lord-captain had what amounted to proof that was either undeniably genuine or so expertly falsified it'd have been a waste of time to use its glimmering powers of deceit on an upstart Trader. Had it been luck or research that had brought the alien to a captain who followed a fringe branch of the Imperial Faith? One spread across voidborn, colonists and the frontier that was a lot less harsh on psykers—as they were common among spacefarers—and xenos—as trade sometimes flourished with them.

"I will convey the necessary living arrangements and required etiquette to the crew." After a pause, he asked of the colorful diplomat: "Would jester be considered an offensive term?"

"Jester would do fine. It has been quite some time since I've played a Jester."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2022, 01:26:27 am »

That indirectly confirmed their guest wasn't a jester then, or at least not one in the way humans interpreted the word at least. He'd long gleaned that no matter what the colorful fellow truly was, they were likely dangerous. Good thing they were on the same side.

"Crew, prepare for departure! Gellar field and warp drive checks starting now!"
>Yes?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2022, 08:30:03 pm »

Once again the crew scrambles like ants to prepare for the jump. Hanger bays slam shut to avoid having their crews gaze into the abyss for any length of time.

Your Eldar navigator checks the path. Naturally you have no vision of the Astronomicon. This far in the Dark Imperium you can hardly expect to guide yourself with the Emperor's light. A layman could tell you as much. Despite this you assume the journey will take a mere 4 days thanks to the Ark Royal's array of equipment to shorten the journey. It is difficult to feel out how difficult a jump these four days will be, you can not find the Warp's stability at this time.

Do you make the jump?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2022, 11:17:04 pm »

Hmph, how did I find myself here? These mon- humans, so eager to dive into the warp. Hardly ideal conditions with the Beacon occluded.
Still, I can't argue with the cause. That Rillietann wouldn't steer us wrong.

She decides to call the captain from her refreshingly rustic navigator's sanctum.
"Don't suppose you'd be amenable to a delay. I'm not having a good foot on the pulse here, so to speak, haha. Risk is unknown."
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2022, 11:27:14 pm »

Marco was about to begin the pre-warp travel preparations to ward off bad omens and hopefully ensure a safe trip when he got the call from the navigating xeno who'd joined them back at the station. Emperor, what was it now? Bad tidings?

++Is it your opinion we should wait and try later on?++
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 09:30:12 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47