Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)  (Read 34299 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2022, 02:59:34 pm »

Would my lord like to relay a message to the inhabitants of Rook's Crown while we wait?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2022, 04:39:27 pm »

++Send greetings and ask if there's any disturbances in that area of space, as we intend to visit it. Hopefully the reply will be here before we arrive there.++

++With the Warp conditions uncertain, we shall wait for better conditions. Working chants, and polishing of the warpsbane warding will continue until we can get a better portent.++
the captain added over the vox-comms, preparing to roll up his sleeves both figuratively and literally.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 09:30:05 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2022, 04:45:39 pm »

The elf pulls out her vox-bead and shakes it before replying.

++Apologies, your voice is faint. Perhaps poorly compatible protocols... Regardless, I will be searching better portents. The target will remain, hm?++

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2022, 09:01:16 pm »

++Yes, the same destination.++ It was the first time in his life he'd been told his voice was faint aside from the aggressive Commissariat training back at the Schola but, to be fair, allies or not eldar were still odd.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 09:29:46 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2022, 11:18:11 pm »

The elf pulls out her vox-bead and shakes it before replying.

++Apologies, your voice is faint. Perhaps poorly compatible protocols... Regardless, I will be searching better portents. The target will remain, hm?++

It takes two days of preparation for the next ritual. While slightly awkward to be in orbit over the pirate's haven, you are able to resupply without difficulties.

This time you have a very clear view of the Warp. The path is relatively stable, but the trip will take 16 days even with all the Ark Royal's equipment. Naturally the Astronomicon is obscured in darkness.

Will you make the jump?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2022, 02:35:17 am »

Hm, does that mean that my Psyniscience roll to locate the Astronomicon is at -20, or that I won't be able to find it at all and thus we're basically at a permanent -20 to all warp navigation in this sector (until we KILL CHAOS of course)?

Either way I think that's the best we're gonna get, so let's go for it.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2022, 11:21:31 am »

preparing for warp travel was, a bit of a different time for Indaria. She knew, deep, deep within, how dangerous it was to be this close to Chaos. She also didn't trust being anywhere near the chapels either. However, this wasn't a new problem to her, it was a very, very old one. One that she'd found her own solution to. Her experiences back home had, to her eyes, been all about showing the dangers of extremes. The extreme faith of the imperial governor,  the extreme rage of those he'd oppressed, the extreme descent into cultist depravity, the extreme trust of her fellow mutants that became their victims, at every turn, it had been the extremes that enabled the fall to chaos. To her eyes, the true danger was in the extremes, and the way to counter it was to remain centered, balanced, mentally and physically prepared to move in any direction without committing to any of them. And so, for her, the preparation for warp travel was not about faith, and seals, and prayer and incense. It was about, of all things, equipment maintenance. She carefully took her gear apart, performed full cleaning, maintainance, calibration, re-assembly, charging, and performance testing. Every part, every piece, was checked and inventoried. She simply took her time, and made sure that no matter what the demand was going to be upon her, she'd be ready to meet it.

Also, it was time to fix that dang chair. She didn't blame anyone for designing it without the needs of people with tails in mind, but she wanted to be able to sit down comfortably thank you very much.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2022, 11:29:01 am »

Symonne began a prayer to the Emperor under her breath while she calculated the fuel and supply usage for the trip ahead. The prayer helped keep her mind off the horrors that lurked in the Warp, and ever since her first disastrous voyage she had something of a compulsion about quadruple-checking consumables.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2022, 12:34:56 pm »

Will you make the jump?

Lord-Captain Marco's ship-wide rituals for good tidings before Warp translation were simple: work chants were played through the ship so the entire crew could toil to their tune, and all had orders to get themselves busy cleaning, doing maintenance and making sure nothing was found wanting. It was a mix of discipline-infused work ethic, loyalty and faith he'd learned at the void-based Schola and stuck with him, though the worker chants specifically came after his life-changing experience with that one odd device...

++Full ahead! Initiate Warp translation!++
>Yes?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2022, 03:38:55 pm »

The Seer sits in silence, warily watching the inmaterium. She reflects briefly on the short lived and weak willed creatures now under her protection. All the layers of ritual and tradition such a mind requires in order to travel in this way without falling to chaos. An admirable and sad tenacity.
But she cannot spend too long considering this. The Seer clears her mind and meditates, preparing for the translation.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2022, 10:59:30 pm »

Hm, does that mean that my Psyniscience roll to locate the Astronomicon is at -20, or that I won't be able to find it at all and thus we're basically at a permanent -20 to all warp navigation in this sector (until we KILL CHAOS of course)?

Either way I think that's the best we're gonna get, so let's go for it.

((Depends on your location. Right now you'll just not be able to find it, partially because you rolled the Lightless path thing. In this general area you won't be able to find it at all.))

Your Warp drives kick on sending the ship into the Immaterrium protected only by a small bubble of reality and your faith. You face the first trial immediately - hallucinations from the Warp transition.

Despite Regina's pronominal willpower she is the first to succumb to it. Whenever she looks at anything too long with her psykic sight the light seems to fade from the world as the Astronomicon had - reducing her perception by 10.

Indaria proves an easy target for the Warp. She now seems to see others as Mutants like herself - fully convinced that others have been hiding their own mutations caused by Chaos (assuming she makes a perception test).

Symonne received horrifying visions of Chaos's triumph in the Dark Imperium. Whole planets being ravaged by mortals and deamons, both on the planetary and personal scale. Humans being slaughtered on industrial levels. Individuals being torn apart and tortured in the name of the Dark Gods. The worst part is these are all clearly visions of true events. She gains 2 Insanity.

Lord-Captain Guerra's experience in the Void and mind of steel protect him from seeing any effects from transition. The ship will still have its head on straight for the voyage.

Despite Kedia's assertions on the superiority of the Eldar mind, paranoia of She Who Thirsts creeps into her very soul. Kedia will make a WP test or attempt to self-harm to prevent her body from succumbing to the Warp's mutations after every Event.

Three days go by with little issues, aside from your Astropath bumping into things, your catgirl suspecting random people of Chaos taint, and Symonne receiving visions of unimaginable horror. It is now time to face your second test.

As you have a Warpsbane hull your Eldar Navigator will be able to choose your next trial:

On one side there is a reef in the Aether. Running into this Warp Reef will damage the Ark Royale, assuming you can not avoid it. On the other edge is a hole in the immaterium leading to real space. Should you fail to avoid it you will be launched back into reality - possibly near your destination possibly on the opposite end of the Imperium.

You have successfully detected the threat.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 11:41:07 pm by Stirk »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2022, 12:09:16 am »

As tempting as it would be to exit the warp early, hull damage poses a smaller risk to our mission then potentially winding up on the other side of the sector years late. I pick the Reef (though still attempt to avoid it, of course.)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2022, 01:39:19 am »

Indaria, sympathizing with the others and their desperate attempts to hide what they're becoming, and noticing the especially troubled state of Symonne, attempts to comfort her. Not by calling her out on her taint, that would just make her panic, but by pretending that she hasn't noticed, and just talking through how she handled her experiences and sights from having actually been around the kinds of stuff she's seeing in her nightmares, and how she came to accept her tainted state. Her goal is to just help her talk it out and, not to make the nightmares go away, but to help them no longer be troubling.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2022, 09:27:01 am »

Before we left, Regina went into communication trance in her quarters and sent the following message to the Astropath on Rook's Crown:
++Greetings fellow Astropath, this is Regina Winters with the good ship Royal Ark. How are the disturbances in your area of space? We intend to visit you presently, please inform the appropriate authorities.++
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2022, 11:09:42 am »

Before we left, Regina went into communication trance in her quarters and sent the following message to the Astropath on Rook's Crown:
++Greetings fellow Astropath, this is Regina Winters with the good ship Royal Ark. How are the disturbances in your area of space? We intend to visit you presently, please inform the appropriate authorities.++

++Affirmative. Keep eyes out for Pirate Raiders. Zone currently clear.++

As tempting as it would be to exit the warp early, hull damage poses a smaller risk to our mission then potentially winding up on the other side of the sector years late. I pick the Reef (though still attempt to avoid it, of course.)

You manage to successfully relay the location of the reef to the Lord-Captain. The Lord-Captain then manages to steer the ship well out of the way of the obstacle. You've successfully bypassed the Warp Reef without anyone dying! You even manage to avoid the temptation to remove your own ear after the fact. The Ark Royal just can't stop winning!

Days four and five go by without incident. So does day six actually. Regina manages to shake off her blindness (the temporary one, not the permanent one), Indra realizes she's the only mutant among the retinue, and the visions leave Symonne alone. The only one left with a Warp hallucination is the Eldar guiding the ship. Who at the very least manages to avoid cutting off one of her fingers.

Day seven and eight go by relatively peacefully now that sanity has returned to most of the retinue. And so does day 9. When I said you can't stop winning I was setting up for something bad but you're actually getting in all the good rolls now.

OK I jinxed it. This time the Seer can't resist the temptation to remove the taint of Slaanish from her left arm and attempts to do so with a nearby ritual knife. She deals two damage before coming to her senses. Assistants bandage her up while she continues her trade.

The end is in sight. Day ten and eleven have no further incidents. On day twelve you see your next trial. On one end is a horde of daemons. You can dodge them much like the reef, but if you fail there will be a Warp Incursion on your ship. On the other end is a Warp Rift. On its own it will simply add a few days to your travel should you fall into it, but this may lead to more Warp encounters in the future.

Which do you choose?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47