Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 57250 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2022, 07:42:22 am »

Well, swimming was tested just a moment ago, lol. Nobody drowned while taking a shortcut when the lake thawed.  :D

As for relationships, yeah, it's slow to build them without some kind of "pre-honeymoon suites".

I won't be trying to pair anyone up during my turn, so it'll be up to the next overseers to think of some clever ways to get 'em close. I know it's possible to get retired adventurers married (after "fixing" their orientation) -- I've had it happen a couple times, but don't remember how long it took for such an event to happen. Never got so far though that they would've had babies, so that's also sort of what I want to see in this fort.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2022, 11:38:50 am »

we can call the 2x2 "the pit of orgies" and probably scar a lot of our own minds in the process

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2022, 05:48:59 pm »

Part II:
Elves and Scary Birds

With spring arriving the capybaras' rest was cut short. Work had to continue.

It was the 5th of Granite when the ice thawed while Kasat was foolishly taking a shortcut over the lake. She was plunged into the cold, freezing waters of the Lake of Saturninity with logs in hand.

Fortunately capybaras are natural swimmers and she managed to get safely to the shore.

In fact, Kasat was not only unshaken by the incident, she was practically thrilled by her early spring dip.

Elves!

It was 'Brewer Bob's' goat Ònul who alerted the capybaras to their arrival with his bleating.

They were certainly expected to make themselves known at some point, but the capybaras were still caught off-guard by how soon they came.

The elves came from the south, following the western bank of the lake to the trade depot. They passed felled trees and it was as if they were saddened or shocked by the sight. Living among the dwarves had taught the capybaras that the elves were a sensitive lot when it comes to the natural world and trees.

“One should never, ever insult 'em pointy-eared pricks with a gift or trade made of wood. Them uptight bastards will come and get ya, if you ever try such a move,” a dwarf had once said at the Mountainhome, claiming to have barely escaped with his life after he had given an elf a leather coat with wooden buttons as a show of gratitude.

With that in mind, Kasat headed to see what the elves had to offer.

A kiwi cock, a groundhog and a cougar along with some sand pears was what Kasat traded from them. In return the elves got some stone crafts that 'Delphonso' had crafted in his spare time.

Kasat was pleased with the deal she made. Especially since she likes groundhogs for their ability to burrow. She was once caught saying that groundhogs and their burrows remind her of hill dwarves and their hillocks (or was it the other way around?). The dwarf who heard it was not thrilled by the comparison.

The second summer arrived to Waterlures. 'Quandale' had been honing her carpentry skills and now even the barrels for beverages were of such a quality that a dwarf would be envious.

'Quandale' was very satisfied.

As everyone else was getting drenched in the early summer rain, hauling lumber to the constructions, all exhausted and spent, 'Brewer Bob' took things easily and went fishing.

“Someone has to keep the fish on the table! Therefore, it is *my* duty to keep your bellies full with delicious fish,” he had said when Zuglar, the manager, had tried to get him to work. “Oh, an artisan, their materials and the tools to shape them!” was Zuglar's reply hinting that a proper excuse to avoid construction work would've been something else than fishing.

Miserable lout of a wombat. Wonder why we allowed the cube-pooper to join us in the first place?

Well, well, well. Who would've thought that the slacking monkey would join the wombat and “go fishing” when there was work to be done?

Summer was over swiftly. There really hadn't been any time for rest (barring those who went fishing) and no such time was to be had any time soon.

The food situation was much better than during the first year. There had been no need to go foraging for wild plants this year. The underground plots produced enough to eat and brew, while fish provided added sustenance (was it necessary though, was a good question).

As was expected, a dwarven caravan arrived in early autumn, their wagons pulled by reindeer. There was no outpost liaison among them, which was a relief to the capybaras, though it did unfortunately prevent them from asking for specific trade goods for the next year.

This year the capybaras had more to offer, but in the end there was very little need for anything from the caravan. Leather, cloth and meat for the stockpiles were the main articles traded for along with a some livestock.

It had been mostly peaceful at Waterlures, but with autumn arrived a flock of giant cardinals. The large birds, though peaceful, spooked many of the capybaras who dropped what they were doing and ran to hide.

Particularly Imush was terrified by the winged menace in the skies.

It appears that one of the many stray cats grew fond of our frightened trapper and adopted her. Good thing too, since it made her happy.

The second winter of Waterlures. Work on the current buildings was nearing completion: only the roofing of the loomery was still be done. After that would be the time for a well-deserved rest.

And indeed. The capybara men finished their work around the 20th of Opal. Zuglar, the manager, headed to the main hall and began to sing while the plump helmet man 'Avolition' appeared to listen intently. That is, if he was even able to hear.

After Zuglar's singing, it was the turn of the wombat man 'Brewer Bob' to step on the stage. He began recounting a tale of a dwarf named Unib Torchbook and how she became a baroness several decades ago.

'Delphonso' wasn't so interested in the story. He was preoccupied with his grumbling and feelings of resentment after bickering with that awful, awful witch-doctor Yawo. Well, who could blame him? Yawo was quite the character and not in a good way.

Yawo, on the contray, was exhilarated by the arguing. No wonder, since she was a quarrelsome person after all.

And so the second year came to a close as the capybaras spent most of the winter mingling with each other. Stories were told, songs were sung and dances were danced-- well, actually there was no dancing, but there was much rejoicing.

=====

Okay, that's the first two years of Waterlures then.

The capybaras didn't have nearly as much time to socialize as I had hoped for. I'd completely forgotten how long it takes to build aboveground and of course I began to build quite a lot of houses. Still, I'm surprised I managed to complete them all and now, in addition to some basic infrastructure, everyone has their own room. Except those who were dorfed: I saved it so that each of you can build the kind of home you want for your characters on your turns if you like.

I'll soon post an overview of the area with the save!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2022, 06:01:59 pm »

Here's some map overviews of the area:

The ledge where most of the houses are built.

1. The mines -- nothing much here yet as there really hasn't been much need for stone or ore
2. The Umbrall Walls -- a miner's guild hall even though we don't have a guild and 'Delphonso' is the only actual miner
3. The Shrine of Citadels -- a shrine to Mestthos, the god of fortresses
4. Wood stockpile below the carpenters' workshops
5. Mechanic -- upstairs is the home of Ubbul Dabblegalleys, our main woodcutter
6. Temporary Mason's shop -- this needs to be moved somewhere else at some point
7. Seed storage -- don't use barrels! Above is the home of Inod Tickedcrypts, a farmer
8. The Fruit of Letters -- our main hall for now. Upstairs are the manager's and bookkeeper's offices as well as trade good storage.
9. Wells fed by the light aquifer.
10. Jeweler's -- just finished. Upstairs lives Zas Relicheavy, the “Monster Slayer” (militia commander).
11. Fishery & Infirmary -- on the ground floor is the fisheries, while 'Yawo's Clinic' (as she calls it) is above the floor in view (this floor is the home of the damn wombat 'Bob' with a shared dining room with Yawo who lives above).
12. The Chapel of Duty -- a shrine to Ôsed, the rabbit goddess.
13. Trade Depot Pavilion -- pretty self-explanatory.
14. Surface farm plots and current pasture. There's not much planted here yet. I've labeled the plots with what's planted there.
15. Farmers & Looms -- I've begun cloth and yarn production (as well as milking & cheese), so there might be job cancellation spam as they're on repeat via the manager. Just remove or suspend the jobs if they get too annoying.

Down the slope,  towards the lake we go!

1. Wooden walkway along the cliffside -- maybe we can carve some homes into stone with their doors leading to the walkway? (Note: I've used wooden grates as railing along all walkways. It's more fun !!FUN!! than fortifications, since building destroyers can wreck them.)
2. The entry to our underground “temporary” home, which wasn't really used that much.
3. Underground farm plots just below The Fruit of Letters, our main hall. Also, pasture of geese and other poultry.
4. Another well
5. The Fishery -- below Yawo's Clinic and the homes of the mad monkey Yawo and 'Brewer Bob'
6. The Chapel of Duty -- this is what it looks like under the roof.

...And one z-level below the surface, where the temporary fort was.

1. General Storage -- this can be removed or repurposed.
2. Dormitory
3. To the surface.
4. Atom Smasher -- there's a dump zone set up here (shouldn't be anywhere else), so this is where all the useless crap and clutter goes to be crushed into oblivion.
5. The first location of the Fruit of Letters, now just functioning as a still and kitchen. There's fine meals set up to be produced seasonally via manager. Might be a tad too much, so just remove or cancel the job if you feel like it.
6. A well shaft (just in case you're wondering what's that pit).
7. The fishing area. Stairs lead straight up to the fishery. How efficient!

There's still one level below this one, but it's only food storage and pretty self-explanatory, so I won't bother making an overview of it.

Some additional notes:

We don't have any location allowing any visitors and if the next overseers agree, I'd like to have a no-visitor policy for now. Especially if we plan (or need) to bring some extra capybaras in, it makes things easier if our citizens don't have relations with folk from other places (they sometimes pop by when retired and remain as friendly or hostile after unretirement). So, assign 'citizens only' to locations for now, m'kay?

About the military: we have a squad led by Zas the Monster Slayer. It's called the Fenced Princes (hey, I didn't choose the name!) and consists of Zas and 'Avolition'. I've set them to train on Granite, Hematite and Limestone, so three months a year (first months of spring, summer & autumn). I'd rather have them train only a limited amount since skills grow ridiculously quick. This way it'll somewhat limit the progression.

There's also two “artifacts” in the fort: Kilrudsat (Bronzestrokes) a bronze war hammer wielded by our resident plump helmet man 'Avolition' and a 8-sided rock salt die Othlestdodók (Scorchclasped). These are just starting items I named before retiring the adventurers at the fort. I can't remember who actually owned the die (and don't ask why I gave someone a die -- I can't remember that either!). I had to run 'cleanowned' when starting and it also cleaned the ownership of those items (and I hadn't written down who owned what).
(Edit. according to Legends, the owner of the die is Imush Gleamlanced)

About yaks: I've made yaks shearable. It's bugged me that they can't be shorn, because yak wool fiber is used to make cloth in the real world. So, don't be surprised if the shearers start shearing yaks (and I hope you don't mind of this change).

Oh, and the cliff at the northern tip of the lake: if possible, please, please don't do anything to it or to the quarry I carved into it (except haul the stones away). I've got some secret special plans for it!

And here's the save for the next overseer:

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16012

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2022, 06:05:53 pm »

@xkcd1963

Are you taking the turn or should AvolitionBrit be the next?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2022, 10:45:42 am »

your effort should not go unrewarded!! Please accept this humble golden thank you for the sublime recounting of these first few years at Waterlures.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After my next turn at smithbridges I will request a signup here. assuming the overseers play with a fair bit of restraint, this place might be the most stylish yet mimetic representations of a small lakeside village I have seen in a while.

If any of you are King of Dragon Pass players, this village is giving me flashbacks to the strange duck people you meet in the first seasons of your story. You choose to either raid and enslave them, or force them to pledge fealty, or simply let them co-exist. The storyline is quirky and the idea of a fully fledged bird village existing in some kind of fantasy world is great.

I kind of think we have become the rodent version of that duck village.

edit:
a 8-sided rock salt die Othlestdodók (Scorchclasped).

Wait.. it totally isn't possible to roll dice in fortress mode, right? Like, we don't have to worry about our children mis-rolling and ending up horribly transformed?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 10:49:10 am by Salmeuk »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2022, 11:43:57 am »

Thanks!

When I was testing out various locales for an embark, I fell immediately in love with this spot. There's pretty much everything you need for a small, self-sustaining village. Also, outside the embark area the Lakes of Saturninity is a huge lake with the river Swayedcrypt running to and from it before growing into a major river.

The world of Minbazkar in general seems to be a really cool place, and our group's main deity Ôsed the rabbit goddess has to be one of the more interesting deities to come across in DF -- with so many spheres attached to it, Ôsed seems to be some kind of "creator" god or something.

If any of you are King of Dragon Pass players, this village is giving me flashbacks to the strange duck people

As a matter of fact, that's one of my favorite games! Don't know why, but it reminds me often of DF despite it being a very different kind of game.

While I don't play tabletop RuneQuest, I do appreciate the world-building that's gone into Glorantha. Probably one of the best fantasy mythologies out there after Tolkien's Middle-Earth, imo.

Wait.. it totally isn't possible to roll dice in fortress mode, right? Like, we don't have to worry about our children mis-rolling and ending up horribly transformed?

Not possible currently in fort mode, no (afaik). So, we need not worry about that! (Though, I hope it'll be possible in the future.)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2022, 05:46:16 pm »

No word from xkcd1963. Since I want to keep the ball rolling I'll skip to the next on the list.

@AvolitionBrit, you're up next if you want/have time.

And the save:
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16012

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2022, 05:52:24 pm »

With pleasure
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2022, 06:06:01 pm »

Nice!

Waiting to hear how you fare with the capybaras (and others).

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2022, 10:21:20 pm »

looking forward to the next turn!!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2022, 02:56:55 pm »

Did some Raw tweaking so strange moods will actually happen. In theory, atleast they can function through force now. Not gonna do that as i want to see it happen naturally but if it doesn't we can do x moods per a year thing. We should see natural moods once we get a population of 20.

Additionally my plump helmet man will now show up on the citizens tab. With the tweaks ive made we might see some more cabybara hamlets and forts generating by the game so this will be interesting.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 03:05:32 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2022, 03:08:03 pm »

Nice!

Hadn't actually tested if the strange moods happen, but previously when I've done something similar it's worked once the moodable population reaches twenty. It's entirely possible I didn't do it properly this time.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2022, 03:12:48 pm »

I could be equally wrong and just went a step further into making them fully part of the dwarves. Will be interesting to see.

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2022, 02:57:27 pm »

Who should we make a baron/baroness? Thought i would open the floor.

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47