Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 47

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 63470 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2022, 04:17:28 pm »

An entire library from elven scholars to be accurate

Which elf civilization was this? The Typhoon of Lusters or The Growl of Pleating?

Just curious to know if they're from the ones we're having dealings with (that being the Typhoon of Lusters).

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 30, 2022, 05:10:48 pm »

I stole them from the fortress of Fencerined, well almost all. A plump helmet scholar had an iron grip on one book. The fortress was founded by The Mighty Ship, the civilization that is almost dead, this is most likely due to their war with The Typhoon of Lusters. Yep they have essentually heavily decimated The Mighty Ship and own two thirds of their sites now, including Fencereined. The rest of their sites are destroyed/abandoned. Infact the scholars themselves basically took control of the site.

Fencereined is an interesting place, seems something was going on when i visited the site. So i stole the books from their Library The Sanctuary of Geniuses which has always has always been run by elfs, even when the dwarves owned the site. These immortal scholars have been working for years but a unknown civilization has been raiding them and slowly stealing books which if my digging is correct is The Bent Spears who are having i shit you not a scholarly battle of stealing/coping books in their library The Oracular Vault and The Sanctuary of Geniuses.

So what our Capybara Astronomer did is unintentionally escalate an already ongoing war between the two, thank god he assumed a new identity and the elfs don't recognise their own writting. Its interesting that if the site was more open we could get adventurers asking for certain books.

TLDR - I stole from the elfs we are trading with, escalated a war and likely doomed a society of 500 dwarves from stealing an entire library
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2022, 05:48:55 pm »

Nice bit of info! I'll have to dig deeper into legends then, it seems.

I haven't really read much on the northern parts of the world. And in the south there hasn't happened so much, except the immortal king oppressing citizens, then other nobles revoking some of the edicts next year, and so on, so on.

I'm curious to see what'll happen once (or if) we open the fortress hamlet for visitors. Most likely we'll get the typical array of necros and their lackeys trying to corrupt (okay, succeeding in it) the 'innocent' capies... But it'd be nice to see some questers searching for artifacts. Haven't had any of those in 0.47.xx.

The Bent Spears stuff also opens possibilities for some adventuring things (if we'd like to "send" some capies outside). I think all the capies were originally from there, though I changed their start civ with DFHack during character generation (or at least from most of them).

Also, checked Tekkud the astronomer in Legends and he seemed like an interesting fellow...

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 30, 2022, 08:06:35 pm »

Part VIII:
Here There Be Giant Leeches

Kudpa was in a rather bad mood as she was fetching some coal for the kiln. She had just returned to work after lunch, which wasn't exactly the best she had had. Well, to be honest, it was one of the worst lunches of her's.

First, the meal she ate -- while fine and masterfully cooked -- didn't make her feel anything. It filled her, certainly, but other than that... Nothing. Second, to make matters worse, one of those awful pillars of society came along to have a chat. Oh, the loathing she felt to talk with a so-called noble (she'd rather keep it to herself with whom she talked)!

I just don't understand why they have to be that way! Kudpa was steaming as she stepped out into the rain.

Why, they're not even real nobles! 'It's the law', or 'this is just how things are', they explain their actions. Why do they try to hide themselves behind their masks? They're not doing it for the 'greater good' or 'society'! They're just being selfish upstart pricks wanting things for themselves, claiming it's for the benefit of everyone!

Young Likot passed the fuming Kudpa, greeting her, “Greetings, this servant of the Golden wishes you a good day, miss Towerfrenzy.”

“Hmpf!”, Kudpa puffed in reply, trudging quickly through the muddy meadow-grass.

From the journal of Kasat 'Baroness' Waxedtiles
15th of Felsite, 348

“There is now quite a number of competent artisans in Waterlures. Ten altogether, if I counted correctly. We formed a crafter's guild, naming it 'the Guild of Gears', and decided that we now need a guild hall. Of course, we had to 'petition' for one as a formality, for it is only right. We have to uphold the rule of law, even in matters that seem trivial. Proper, dignified society cannot function without structure and order -- without such things, why, we'd still be wallowing and whistling in swamp pools like our wilder brethren!

But back to the matter of the guild hall... I have ordered it to be built in a central place: on the lake, between the library and bridgeway. It will be magnificent.”

(The guild hall's planned location: on a platform in the middle of the lake.)

From the Journal of Kasat 'Baroness' Waxedtiles
20th of Hematite, 348

“We traded most of our surplus fish and meat with the humans, throwing in a generous pile of bone crafts, too. The merchants were ecstatic with the deal. I could swear I saw the gleam of gold coins in their eyes!

In exchange we got a pile of lumber and more stone, as has become the norm these last years. Additionally we stocked up on arrows, since Suwu's archers are spending an awful lot of them while practicing. Maybe I'll eventually have to order the plump helmet to forge some arrows. We still have plenty of iron, though fuel has been lacking of late. We also bought some alcohol, despite our wine cellars having plenty, but variety is a luxury we can certainly afford.

Oh, I almost forgot! We bought a male black bear (at least the humans claimed it was male) to accompany the couple of females we have living in the lake caves. It wasn't my decision (and I think it was not necessary), but apparently we could train them to guard our grounds. Personally, I would have rather seen more silvery gibbons being brought -- like the elves did in spring!

In fact, I took the latest one as a pet, naming her Dakost. So far, she has gotten along with Kadol, who is growing old and weary.”

“I also made new export and import agreements with the guild representative. Though, I certainly felt offended and very much disturbed by Upnal: that creep came into my bedroom with his cronies while I was asleep! Can you imagine his impudence? How rude!

Well, a deal's a deal, and it is now done.

I'll head off to attend to other matters now.”

From the journal of Kasat 'Baroness' Waxedtiles
27th of Granite, 348

“The guildhall is coming up on schedule. It is still in a very much unfinished state, but we deemed with the other guild members that its value is already enough to satisfy us. We decided to name Kinlimul, the Oaken Gold. A fitting name, since wood is the gold of Waterlures, and oak we have plenty.

'Zultan' was annoyed. He was soaking wet for having to work in the autumn rain. Again. Ooh, it was raining on me! So annoying! He thought while carrying a log of almond wood to the wood storage.

While satisfied that the guildhall was established, he couldn't feel but lonely, since he hadn't had time to relax with his close ones. It didn't help matters that he yearned to be able to spar like the lucky ones in militia warden Kumil's tight group. Maybe he'd ask if he could join their ranks, though he doubted he'd be fit. For his form had grown laden with fat -- thanks to Kib's wonderful stews and roasts -- and he'd certainly first have to loose some weight.

I am not like that goat-legged athlete who is all muscle and bone with nary a fat in his body. 'Zultan' bemoaned. Heck, even the elephant guy and mushroom man are more nimble than me -- 'Avo' even with his crutches!

It seemed unfair. How could he even become slimmer if he wasn't given the chance to prove himself on the sparring floor? Maybe he'd just have to insist on being allowed into the militia. In fact, he'd do just that once winter arrived...

24th Moonstone, 348

Likot was terrified. She had just arrived at the library's study and was on her way to pick a book, when something horrible crawled inside: a giant leech!

It assaulted her along several others, but fortunately managed to only cause bruises before Suwu, the archer captain, punched it and others joined in. “This my fight too!” Id had yelled as he charged the overgrown slug.

In the chaos and confusion, the leech panicked and scampered with unexpected speed up the stairs, through the main hall and over the bridge. Kumil, who had been alerted by the noise and yelling, rushed after the leech.

Instead of the tasty meal it expected, the leech itself ended up as the meal. It stood no chance against the faun who swiftly gained the galloping gastropod, slapped it with the flat of his blade and pommel a few times before cleaving it in half with one blow of the steel short sword.

The leech's body was then dragged to the butcher: it would be served as the main course at this year's winter festivities (or, possibly saved for a later occasion).

After the 'Leech Incident' (and cleanup) winter festivities commenced.

It was very much like the gatherings of previous years: laughter and song, drink and bickering, dance and story-telling.

=====

Wasn't supposed to start new building projects, but yeah, guildhall petition happened just when other stuff was nearing completion...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2022, 03:56:11 am »

Man my guy sure likes to find things to be sad about, I say we just let him wallow in his fat sadness, I mean I'm a fat bastard and I'm fine so it won't kill him to also be fat.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2022, 07:39:22 am »

Man my guy sure likes to find things to be sad about

He's actually in general doing quite good (stress slightly on the negative side). I've just caught him when he's been having bad days.

Also, I think most of the capies are currently being described as being 'corpulent', so fatness is the norm in Waterlures (gotta have that lard to keep you warm while "bathing").

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2022, 07:22:32 pm »

Part IX:
A Pleasant Surprise

“Pss-pss- pss, come here kitty!”, Ubbul said to the kitten, making it follow him. They had bought several new cats from the autumn caravan, and, like cats tend to do when unchecked, they had bred. Rapidly. Somebody in charge had completely forgotten that.

So, now it was Ubbul's duty to geld the males, though he wasn't so keen on it. He had come to like cats for their aloofness during his life in Waterlures. And now there weren't as many as there used to -- most of them had died of old age. But, at least his assignment gave him some company, since he had been feeling a bit lonely lately.

“You know what, cat? Merriment is worthless,” he told the small feline as they trudged through the cold, wet spring sleet and rain. “It is utterly disgusting. How can they make merry when there is strife in the world? You tell me that, cat.”

The cat looked curiously at the rotund rodent leading the way. It didn't understand what he said, but surely there was a meal waiting wherever he was heading! Why, how else could the capybara be so plump!

Little did it know what awaited it at the farmer's workshop...

Well, who would have known? 'Zultan' was content as he put on the suprior steel mail shirt. Kumil accepted me into the Fenced Princes! He was picking up the equipment 'Avo' had forged for him, even though it was a month and a half until his training would begin on the first day of Hematite.

“I put on an exceptional item. It pleases me,” 'Zultan' said to 'Avo' as he passed the plump helmet man smith on his way out, brimming with newfound energy.

'Avo' stopped, nodded, and watched as the capybara stepped into the rain. It's best to slow down and just relax, he thought, taking a short breather from hauling the bituminous coal to the smelter. He had finally recovered from his wounds and didn't need crutches anymore -- only a dent in his leg remained, but he felt like not pushing too hard yet.

And there really wasn't any rush, anyway.

Summer was just around the corner as Tekkud headed off to Edu's Fishery to clean some yellow bullheads. He put the fish on the counter, grabbed a knife and began scaling it. “The best way to get what you want our of life is to work for it,” Tekkud said aloud with a smile as Kudpa trudged past him, busy at work hauling cleaned fish to the warehouse.

Now, what was that supposed to mean? Kudpa furrowed her brow. Was the astronomer implying that she didn't work hard enough? She had been working hard for the whole spring, much harder than Tekkud (at least in her opinion). And what good did it do? The stocks were filling once again with barrels crammed full of fish, waiting to be sold to the caravans. For what? Some 'nice, colorful stones' for a 'grand project' of the astronomer, the dwarf buffoon and self-proclaimed baroness? Had anyone even seen the plans of it? No. It was to be kept 'secret'.

“Pfft, what nonsense!” Kudpa exclaimed as she made her way out of the fishery. “Why, the fancy stones will probably go into furnishing the personal quarters of the high muckety-mucks!”

She was fuming with loathing as she stomped towards the warehouse.

Finally it was Hematite. And Hematite meant not only that summer had begun, but that the Fenced Princes would train. Contrary to previous training months, this time each and every one in the squad (still bearing the name Zas had given in the early years of Waterlures) was supposed to attend. The reason being two new squad members: Edu Sandtick and Vucar 'Zultan' Scorchlancers.

'Zultan' was interested after Kumil had taught him some tricks on how to punch the enemy. Without guidance he would not have ever learned such things! Yet, despite the excitement of the training, his thoughts wandered to the truly decadent dish he had eaten before coming to the sparring hall.

He was still quite full and really, really hoped the food wouldn't come up -- especially if a sparring partner managed to land a blow in the guts.

It was not only 'Zultan' and Edu who were to train that year.

'Baroness' Kasat, after discussions with Kumil and Cañar, had come to the conclusion that it was for the best if everyone (who so wished) in the community needed some practice in self-defense. The close-call with the giant leech was much to thank (or blame, depending on one's point of view) for her change of mind. And not only that: most of the community members had grown fat for the lack of excercise.

Rin was satisfied with this, for he was the first to teach the 'Maroon Salves' -- one of the two wrestling clubs -- some tricks and combat moves. His frustration for no brawls or fisticuffs was greatly eased.

And what was even better, he had finally, finally, had the time to pray to Githu before heading for the training session!

An oddity in the local flora was noticed when yound trees were assigned for culling: a fungiwood tree grew under the canopy of an old walnut tree!

'Brewer Bob' thought it fascinating, and explained to the others that obviously the thick shade of the walnut tree's foliage had created some kind of microclimate under it which was similar to that found in the deeps of the earth. And since they had carried unknowingly spores of underground plantlife with them when they moved here (as can be witnessed by the cave moss growing in the dirt of the cellars, he had said), there must have been some fungiwood spores, too!

Yawo, of course, thought such a theory laughable. What nonsense! It was, naturally, because of the fantastical magical forces permeating the Lakes of Saturnity and immediate surroundings!

'Microclimate' -- who ever has heard of such a thing! Yawo was amused and chuckled patronizingly at the silly mason chronicler.

Maybe Yawo was not so far from the truth? The Lakes of Saturnity had some kind of magic to it, like that unnatural storm that scattered all the books, and pixie swarms seen now and then fluttering about -- no doubt on their way to cause some mischief!

On the last day of Sandstone -- the 28th to be precise -- Såkzul Agebronze, the bookkeeper, gave birth to a boy. Her and Zuglar's prayers to Ôsed were answered: they once more had a little one in their life!

But it was not only Såkzul and Zuglar who had babies...

...For only a day later Ilral the spinner (and wife of 'Zultan') gave birth to a boy!

They named the wee baby -- who even on his day of birth was muscular (and fat, like his parents) -- Atír Archsinged.

And, again, a day later Kib gave birth to a girl. She and Edu now had two children.

Ubelievably, there was one more birth not but a week later.

Baroness Kasat gave birth to a boy, making her and her husband Cusal very happy parents indeed!

This winter would certainly have some grand festivities, for the population of Waterlures was finally growing. The capybaras truly were blessed by the Divine Rabbit!

Praise Ôsed!

And indeed, when winter arrived, everyone headed to the Fruit of Letters to have a good ol' time.

...Well, except the outpost liaison and the human guild representative with his bodyguards.

=====

So, yeah. That was quite unexpected.

I was maybe hoping for one new kid, but four? Well, ain't complaining. Maybe things'll start to pick up from here?

There's really nothing much happening in the fort, so I've been looking quite randomly through the thoughts of the capies and tried to interpret them into...something? The personalities in my writing probably don't match exactly the descriptions, but at least most of it should.

Hope it hasn't been too boring.

I think I'll be finishing tomorrow.

(Unless if I get started on the observatory that I dismantled -- it's been taking time cuz I've been ordering stone for it from the caravans and still don't have enough for the plans. But even if I'd begin the constuction, I'll have to take a break next week and do other stuff.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2022, 03:39:47 am »

Hope it hasn't been too boring.
I don't think this has been boring, I quite like hearing about the capybaras and their fat adventures.

Also that's a lot of babies being born.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2022, 06:54:18 pm »

you are jinxing these happy capys if you start calling this place boring (it is quaint and pastoral - rare traits to maintain in the harsh world of DF)

trying to finish my spookfortress turn so I can take over, whenever you finish your go.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2022, 08:10:34 pm »

Part X:
Boys, Boys, Boys

The year was only a couple of weeks in when a late snow storm came upon Waterlures. This did not hinder the work of the capybaras, who were well-rested and brimming with new energy. However, the arrival of the elves (with their giraffes and other pack animals) from Múya Loré, the Typhoon of Lusters, interrupted work. It was time to haul crafts and such to the trade depot where the 'Baroness' would broker a deal with the forest-dwellers.

From the Journal of Kasat 'Baroness' Waxedtiles
(undated)

“The elf merchants came. This time we had plenty what to offer them ('Zultan' has been busy making crafts from bones), but as per usual, they did not have so much of interest. It was the normal deal we have with them: our crafts for their fruit and some clothes. This time I bought a couple of toys for the little ones. They were made from that odd-looking wood that is grown into different shapes with elven magic (note: I must ask Yawo for more details about it at some point). I think it will be good that our children become accustomed to elf crafts from an early age.

There were also a couple of animals of interest: a hippo (for Yawo to ease the grief caused by the passing of Masami), a silvery gibbon and a great horned owl.”

Zuglar was sitting at his office. A couple bowls of stew were on the floor in front of the statue of Abod the Prince of Duty. Zuglar was in his thoughts, chewing on his quill as he glanced at the statue of the deity of death, war and chaos, depicted as a weeping female dwarf.

Abod was not a deity Zuglar particularly revered, but it was a good reminder of what lay ahead if proper decorum and loyalty were disregarded and a peaceful state changed to one of war. The Prince of Duty was not like Zuglar's favorite god Limul, 'the Golden'.

I have been contemplating the Golden, Zuglar thought. Recently he had communed with the god and offered his thanks, for his work had been satisfying: he had produced many a masterwork this season! Oh, and the wondrous meals of Kib! One could never have enough of those! He patted his plump stomach.

He stretched his arms and looked back at the papers on his desk. “Now where was I?”, he muttered aloud.

“Ah, yes. The work orders. Tables and chairs for the guildhall, of course.”

Just after midsummer a flock of giant keas descended upon Waterlures, setting their eyes on all things shiny.

Suwu and her archers hastily ventured forth to drive them away or hunt them down. They ran up and down the slopes in hopes of getting a clear shot. And indeed, Suwu managed to strike one in the wing, sending it spinning to the ground!

However, there were still four left.

Another one was struck by an arrow and the green feathered thief slammed into the bridge between Suwu's house and the Fruit of Letters.

The third fell on the west bank of the lake, confusing a goose.

The remaining two proved to be elusive: while one was being chased on the east shore, the other swooped down on the west, trying to snatch at a billy goat and the hippo, scaring the rest of the pastured livestock.

But their trickery was useless. The one harrassing the animals fell into the lake as it tried to make a hasty retreat.

Only one remained.

Eventually it fell, too.

Kea meat would be on the menu this winter.

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

In the early days of autumn Såkzul the bookkeeper gave birth to yet another boy!

She and Zuglar now had three sons and one daughter, the eldest of the four.

Not but a week later Kib, too, gave birth. This was the third child of her and Edu.

And only a moment later the 'Baroness' joined the ranks of boy-birthers!

My, my, my. The capies surely have been busy at the baths!, Datan thought to himself as he was tending to the beehives, noting that he probably should keep to his decision of not trying the pool out.

A few weeks later saw one more birth in Waterlures: Ilral gave birth to a boy.

She and 'Zultan' were blissful, for their family grew and now Atír would have company from his younger brother Datan Futuretours,

It was truly a blessed autumn.

Winter began with a cleanup.

Old tattered clothes were ordered to be emptied from cabinets, bins and rooms, and taken to the trash disposal room (or, 'atom smasher' as it dwarves called it). Cañar trudged up the stairs of the ashery and soapery to 'Zultan's' room, grabbed a weathered hood made of naked mole dog leather and made his way to the smasher.

The giant of an elephant man was quite content with his life in Waterlures. Maybe he wasn't exactly happy, but content was good enough. Things were at least peaceful here -- if you didn't count the 'Leech Incident' and occasional giant keas stirring things. But there were things he yearned for: it had been some time since he had had the time for abstract thinking and reading one of the countless books. It made him restless. Perhaps next year there would be more time for such matters, for most of the large building projects were done.

Though, once the plans for the observatory would be revealed and work on it begun, there would be even less time for rest.

But, fortunately, that was still way off.

When most old clothing was thrown away, the community gathered once again in the Fruit of Letters. Most of them mingled in the main hall...

...While others decided to go to the dormitory (which had been built during the building's expansion).

And so another year came to pass in Waterlures.

=====

So, that ends my turn then.

Finally.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2022, 08:16:12 pm »

you are jinxing these happy capys if you start calling this place boring (it is quaint and pastoral - rare traits to maintain in the harsh world of DF)

I hope it remains boring and pastoral!

Though with this birthrate we'll hit population 50 soon (it's now 40), so we'll probably have a werebeast encounter then...

trying to finish my spookfortress turn so I can take over, whenever you finish your go.

Was about to ask you what's your schedule and how busy you're with Spookyfort.

Tomorrow (or, if I don't have time, the day after) I'll write an overview and upload the save. Bit too tired for that currently, and I want to do a couple of tests too before uploading.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 03, 2022, 11:58:01 am »

Overview:

First a Stonesense screenshot with numbered locations (simpler to show things as stuff are scattered on multiple z-levels):

(click to enlarge)

• Mill
    Millstone with stockpiles of flour-producing plants & empty bags. Also, home of Rin the goblin (who is now officially a miller) and has his "secret" shrine to Githu (murder & death).
  • Fields
    Fields of spelt, strawberry, grapes, hemp, quinoa and potatoes. Most are left to fallow now as stocks are full. Fields are named with the plant and season (sp=spring, su=summer, au=autumn, wi=winter)
  • Archer's & Hunter's Lodge
    Arrow & bow stockpiles, archery range, training room (all squads currently) & kennels. Upper floors are still unfurnished.
  • Butchery & Tannery
    Contains the only butcher's shop (currently cluttered) and tanner. Upstairs are the homes of Meng Fancypaddle and the leopard gecko woman Odda Leafyveils.
  • Farmer's, Looms & Clothier
    Shearing and spinning wool for the clothier. Above the clothier is miss Likot Languagehame's home.
  • Potter's & Soapmaker's
    Kiln, ashery and soapmaker with a wood burner's furnace nearby. Upstairs are the homes of Ilral and 'Zultan' (and their kids -- getting a bit cramped), and the mandrill man Ova Clearingcrest (as a note: Yawo has shown no interest in her kind).
  • Glass Maker's & Crafting
    A glass furnace in the southern building and craft's shops in the northern, which also has the homes of Zuglar the manager and Såkzul the bookkeeper and their kids (the 'grown-ups' have moved out). Plus Kudpa's small, meager home (I bet she hates living next to pillars of society -- that being management).
  • Carpenter's
    Carpentry and wood stores. Upstairs are the homes of Libash and Tekkud the astronomer. There's a wood furniture stockpile in the attic.
  • Leatherworker's
    Doesn't see much use, but here be the leather stuff. Also home of Luki Shaftvise, whom we haven't paid much attention to.
  • The Fruit of Letters, Offices & Warehouse
    The good old meeting area & pub, now with a dormitory. Bookkeeper and manager offices are upstairs as well as storage space for clothes and trade goods (=crafts).
  • Seed Store & Mechanic
    Southern building has seed stores and Suwu's home, the northern has a mechanic's (which sees virtually no use) and Ubbul's home.
  • Thresher's, Looms & Dyer's
    Farmer's workshop for threshing pig tails and looms to weave plant cloth (trying to keep wool & plant fiber separate to reduce hauling distances). There's a dyer and quern, too, but they haven't seen any use yet. Upstairs is young Logem's home (where he moved recently from his parents)
  • Edu's Fishery
    Edu Sandtick's fishery and a craft's workshop. Upstairs is his and Kib's (the cook) home. Getting crowded with the kids and all. Might need to dismantle the crafter's from here and put beds for the kiddos.
  • Yet-To-Be-Named Inn & Possible Future Townhall
    Work in progress. There's gonna be a kitchen & still in the south wing. The upper rooms are to be furnished as inn rooms, and/or possibly a couple will become new offices. If we get a mayor at some point, the "tower" will house them.
  • The Oaken Gold Guildhall
    Very empty currently.
  • Yawo's Clinic & Fishery
    Fisheries and the hospital. Also contains Yawo's and 'Brewer Bob's' homes.
  • Brewery & Granary
    Ground floor has a brewery while the rest of the floors are food and empty barrel stores. There's also cellars for the drinks.
  • Kitchens & Granary
    Kitchens on the ground floor and the rest is food stores.
  • Trade Depot Pavillion
    Pretty self-explanatory, I guess.
  • The House of Knowledge
    The grand library. The tower is meant to possibly be the home of a scholar at some point. On the lowest floor, there's a pedestal where thousands of artifact books are on display. I hope this will prevent some item scatter when retire/unretire is next needed.

Next a couple of regular screenshots without notes:

Spoiler: The 'Main' Z-level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: One Z-level down (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ...And still down (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: And above that (click to show/hide)

Our stockpiles are currently looking good. We have still more than we need.

I'd hope that no new stockpiles are made: if we exceed the capacity of the current ones (which is already way more than enough), we're producing something too much and it should be thrown into the trash (or caravans).

Which reminded me of the main rule and guideline that I haven't said:

Small is Good, Big is Bad
That is, let us not hoard things, but produce only what we need. Let's learn away from the bigger is better mentality (except with getting kids and married couples).

This applies also to all building and digging projects: keep things small and compact. Distances should be kept minimal without a central staircase.

In fact, let's say that NO DIGGING is necessary at the moment.

Trees:

Most everything is crafted from wood. Stone is reserved for very special things, such as building blocks and statues (no need to make stone mechanisms -- wooden mechanisms have been modded in).

So, keep furniture wooden, if possible.

We're still avoiding the chopping of large trees (especially fruit trees, though I haven't designated fruit picking zones, now that I think of it). I've designated all (or almost all) young trees to be felled. You can use that as a guideline what's good to chop and what's not.

I won't be strict on it, though, so do what you see necessary. But if possible, rather order wood from the humans or dwarves (next caravans should be bringing some).

The only strictly NO-NO is the two fungiwood trees we have growing aboveground: the first is against the northern wall of the unfinished/unnamed inn/townhall. The second is in the far southwest corner of the map in a ravine leading to the "mines".

Barrels & Bins:

NO BARRELS IN SEED STOCKPILES! This is important. Don't want any cancellation spam and it's a pain in the but to get the seeds out of the barrels.

Also, reserve bins ONLY for trade goods (=crafts), clothing and cloth. Sheets too, but we're not currently using them.

Ammunition, weapons and armor should never go into bins.

(There's probably more, but those are the most important, I think.)

Animals:

I've designated some for butchery. No restrictions with these, but try to keep enough sheep for our wool needs (should be enough currently).

Stress:

The stress levels are good. I've been keeping 2-3 months mandatory rest per year, which helps a bit. Also putting capies (and others) who wanted to citizen's militias helped.

Speaking of militias...

Military & Defenses:

It is intentional that there are no walls or safe zones. Our capies are still naïve and oblivious to the threats the outer world will cause at some point.

However, we do have two actual squads: one melee and one archer.

The melee squad (Fenced Princes) is well-kitted and practice the most frequently. I've still kept training time low, since skills increase ridiculously fast. Do not assign uniforms to them: they have each their individual pieces of equipment specified and if new members are added, the same should be done for them. Uniforms mess things up with equipping stuff. Specific equipment does wonders.

The archers are just equipped with bows. They're not intended to be combatants, but pest control (aka Killers of Giant Keas).

FPS:

FPS is still very decent with my potato. It wanders between 40-60, depending on the amount of units and how busy the capies are hauling stuff. However, when giant keas arrive (usually around 5 of them) there will be a HUGE dip -- possibly all the way down to 10 FPS. If it is unbearable, you are free to use DFHack's exterminate on them.

Other Stuff:

There's still a few books & scrolls under water. The capies didn't touch them when the ice above them was channeled. Not sure what's the problem (they're not forbidden), but it's only a handful, and we have over 3000, so... (Oh, there's a couple also scattered around the map.)

Other than that?

The no visitors policy still applies.

The "baths" at the baronial quarters have actually never seen use (despite Datan thinking otherwise -- that pervert!). The pool is filled to 4/7, so technically it could be used as swimming training for the non-innate swimmers (that being the dwarf, elf & goblin).

We might get new capies next year, but I'm not sure of it, since the mingling time wasn't as long as on the two earlier years. Not sure if married couples were "hanging out" next to each other and, uh, yeah, you know, doing THAT thing.

Didn't try to couple up capies after the forced marriages. There's still some who might be possible to pair up.

...Oh, and the winter cleanup or dumping of xclothesx is still under way.

If there's something you're not sure of, ask.

(Gee, this turned way longer than intended. As if anyone will follow those guidelines, haha.)

TL;DR

Things lookin' good. FPS good.
Keep things small and compact. Big is bad. Big is NO-NO.
No new stockpiles -- if current ones overflow, produce less. Throw excess into garbage or trade.
No visitors allowed!
NO BARRELS IN SEED STOCKPILES!
In fact, don't use bins either (except trade goods, cloth and clothing). Especially in weapon/ammo piles!
No proper defenses is intentional.
Refrain from digging. We got stone.
Chop only young trees. Don't chop the two fungiwood trees!
Stone and wood can be ordered from caravans. Next ones should be bringing some.
Ask if unsure.
Have fun!

And here's the save:

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16107

Good luck Salmeuk!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 03, 2022, 02:40:20 pm »

Alright. Wrapping up my other succession game, should get to this one today or tomorrow.

alright, preserving oldgrowth, I'm down with that

NO BARRELS IN SEED STOCKPILES!

only a fool or a scoundrel would do such a thing

any veto on a small sculpture garden tucked away in the northern treeline? perhaps with a small gazebo for purposes of contemplation

I think I will contribute one or two small projects, or impressions upon the land, then simply let the turn play out, to ensure maximum quaintness :]

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2022, 02:54:08 pm »

Alright. Wrapping up my other succession game, should get to this one today or tomorrow.

alright, preserving oldgrowth, I'm down with that

Nice! Waiting to read about both games.

any veto on a small sculpture garden tucked away in the northern treeline? perhaps with a small gazebo for purposes of contemplation

I think I will contribute one or two small projects, or impressions upon the land, then simply let the turn play out, to ensure maximum quaintness :]

A sculpture garden would be great.

I've forgot to mention that there's actually on the slope a shrine for Icemi Apedives (a force, worshipped by Yawo) under some old trees. There's also a make-shift burial ground on one of the slopes (with slabs & statues commemorating the dead), again under trees.

So, a sculpture garden would be a nice continuation of that style.

Other projects are of course welcome, but I might always end up being a jerk again and "relocating" or "redesigning" them on my turn so that Waterlures doesn't become the typical glorious chaotic mess succession games tend to be.

Edit. And just letting the game run its course is surprisingly entertaining in Waterlures. I spent half the time just following random capies and going through their thoughts.

...Oh, I forgot a screenshot from the overview:

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 05, 2022, 12:07:27 am »

wow. this place is awesome. I lost it when I found the beautiful underground lake cavern full of grizzly bears. sorry, who made this thing? I must have missed that part of the history lol

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 47