Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 72850 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2022, 05:55:48 am »

Seems like this place is gonna be flooded with babies at this rate, at least my guy is contributing to the flood.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2022, 08:12:07 am »

Seems like this place is gonna be flooded with babies at this rate, at least my guy is contributing to the flood.

Haha, yeah, half the population are soon babies if this keeps going on. But then again, that was our intention, wasn't it?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2022, 10:08:55 am »

how fecund, and furry, these capys are

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2022, 06:34:51 pm »

Part VII:
The Wall

Litast and Cerol were in their parents bedroom. The young ones were by themselves, as per usual when Zuglar and Såkzul were at work, doing their own child things.

Litast was leaning against a cabinet, simulating the emen -- a huge stationary instrument with eighty-three bells, usually made out of bone -- while Cerol was listening to his younger brother's musicianship. The three year old Litast was improving. It sounded quite a bit like the emen, or, at least it sounded like what Cerol imagined the emen to sound: he had actually never heard the real instrument being played.

A platter of perch dumplings made into a mixture of spelt and dwarven wheat dough was on the floor -- one of Edu's masterful cookings. Seems like father had left his food uneaten again and soon it would spoil.

The kids didn't pay attention to it, though. They were busy pretending to be bards. One day, soon, they might actually get to see some real minstrels! There had been talk about opening Waterlures for visitors in the next year!

But that was still very far off in the distant future for such young capybaras.

It was a rainy, cold evening in late autumn when it happened.

Odda and Kudpa were working on the southern wall, which was coming up rather quickly. Ready to finish her work and head off to pray to the Turquoise, Odda turned to look southwest when she heard the rustling of grass. She didn't see clearly what was making the sound, but it was big. And moving fast.

A set of chartreuse eyes glowed ominously in the dark as the horror charged towards the leopard gecko woman and capybara woman.

'Avo' and Cañar along with three of the monks were just up the slope.

They too heard the noise, and Vabôk, the dwarf leader of the monks, saw the source in the dark: a large abomination with close-set jagged scales, its reptile tail lashing back and forth as it rushed in slavering. It looked like a mockery of a gecko that was twisted into humanoid form.

The Night was here and the citizens of Waterlures were about to learn why they should fear it!

“Everyone! Run into your homes! Bar the doors! Hide in the attic! NOW!”, Vabôk began shouting orders as Cañar and 'Avo' unslinged their warhammers they always had strapped to their bodies.

They rushed down the slope, ready to confront the beast without any hesitation or thought for their own safety.

But Messthos favored them this time.

Sidestepping the gecko's lunge, 'Avo' managed to strike the werebeast in the leg with a mighty crack, causing it to fall over. It lashed and flailed at Cañar from the ground, but the elephant man hammerer easily avoided the blows, bashing the gecko many a time with his trusty hammer.

'Avo' kicked the weregecko in the head as it still struggled to get up, its body beginning to turn to pulp with all the sickening hammering.

It screamed. It yelled. It was feeling desperate.

“There is no hope!”, could be heard escaping the werebeasts mouth.

But it soon fell silent and still when Cañar gored it in the head with his menacing tusk, grabbed the creature and ripped it in half, innards and blood splashing onto the muddy grass.

The cursed beast was dead.

It didn't even make its way to the palisade before being put down. The Fenced Princes were truly heroes that day.

Ravens soaring over Waterlures was a common sight during the winter, their cawing echoing across the lake.

It was already Opal and winter was soon halfway through. The capybaras hadn't yet stopped work on the southern portion of the palisade: they were still harrowed by the beast that had come two months prior. They had been very lucky that 'Avo', Cañar and others skilled in combat were so close-by. Had they not been -- well, things might have gone quite differently and not in a good way.

But now it was time to call it for the year. The winter was getting harsher and the cold bit through the many layers of clothes and fur, the tips of paws getting numb despite the sheep wool mittens.

Unib Hammerwhipped, one of the monks (and a dwarf), was storing butchery products in the stores, thinking of how trade is important and necessary for a society to thrive and function. At that moment he felt an odd tinkling sensation -- the early sign of a fey mood.

He headed off to the crafting area, laid claim to a workshop all the while muttering, “I must have bones... I must have rock blocks...”

Several days later Unib offered his masterpiece to the Amazing Bath-Swine: 'Coiledgrasps the Scarce Modesty', a door made out of giant kea bones. It was encircled with bands of oval cut quartzite cabochons and carved into the bones was an image of 'Brimrabbit the Fin of Mouths', a lay pewter goblet.

Despite its material, the door was sturdy and nigh unbreakable -- it was as if some fey magic had been weaved into it.

No traditional winter festivities were arranged this year. But the capybaras still had their time off. Some of them headed to the Fruit of Letters, possibly because they were so used to spending their winter there.

Tekkud was in the corner simulating the percussive rhythm of the ngustut, imitating the mid-low pitch with his voice. The monks and Ïteb the gorlak were listening to the music, pleasantly surprised how well Tekkud managed to sound like the drum -- some were even lightly tapping their feet on the wooden floor.

Others had decided to head to the library, reading all manner of books in the studies of the House of Knowledge. Titles included such books as 'The Moon's Path in Practice', 'Discovering the Mountain Halls', 'To Anatomies and Glory!' and the classic 'Rainfall and Rivers Within Reason' authored by Tosid Tickrazor.

The children did as they pleased -- like they are wont to do -- playing in the dormitory or in their own rooms.

Some, like Zuglar the manager, decided to continue work, whether it was going through the stockpiles or harvesting plump helmets.

And so another year came to pass in Waterlures.

The capybaras had survived their first trial in the form of a werebeast, but the world of Minbazkar was a dangerous place: there was surely more wickedness ready to come and shatter the peace of the village.

However, with the arrival of spring, no wickedness came. Unless if you are a dwarf, and see elven merchants as such. But the capybaras were not dwarves, and they were eager to do trade with the forest-dwellers.

Maybe they brought more exotic animals from the warm north?

From the Journal of 'Baroness' Kasat Waxedtiles
2nd of Slate, 355

“If you have a task, do it properly.

It's been a busy year or so in Waterlures. We have been hard at work erecting a wall to shelter us and keep the horrors from the Night at bay. Vabôk's and the other monks' insight has proven invaluable to us: they laid plans with Kumil and Datan where to build to offer the best of protection.

Work is far from complete, but the southern portion is rising quickly. The estimates for completion run from a year to a couple, though, even in its current state, the wall offers some protection. That was witnessed when the beast came. Oh, I dare not imagine what would have happened had we not begun the work on the defenses, and that Cañar and 'Avo' happened to be among the first to spot the horridly twisted reptile!

We have a conciderable amount of surplus food. I hope the humans will arrive this year once again -- I'm a bit concerned why they didn't come last year. They will certainly be more than glad to get their hands on the fish from the lake and the meat from our livestock, like usual. But even if they do not come, the caravan from the Mountainhomes will surely arrive with raw materials I ordered from them.

This will be an exciting year for Waterlures, I believe. For you see, our ever-growing hamlet can be now concidered a village and the coming of spring 355 meant that it is now thirty years since we founded this place. Thirty years! Can you imagine it? Despite some early tragedies and the most recent threats, life has been blissful here. Our greatest concerns have been us not becoming any younger or no children being born, but that too has changed. There are now eighteen little ones (there would be twenty, had not Likot and Logem grown up)! Eighteen!

I thank you, Ôsed, for your guidance and blessing. May you watch ever over us and our offspring.”

=====

Gods, the beginning was a bit intense.

I almost panicked when the werebeast arrived: it was very near the capies who were building the wall and I was certain they won't get to safety in time with all the logs they were hauling.

I got again lucky as the three nearest citizens were competent militia members. And weregeckos are not as tough as some other types. I'm not a military oriented player, so I'm still a bit baffled that after all these years I haven't had much trouble with werecritters -- a few close-calls and that's it. Sort of would be fun !!FUN!! to get to experience the full might of were infections... But, yeah, happy that it didn't happen this time.

Anyway, I guess starting to build the wall saved the community (though, ironically it was the monks/help that brought our population over the 50 threshold). I've got it now quite well planned, but it'll take several years and tons of logs to complete.

If we run again out of wood, I'll spawn more logs with DFHack. Don't want to go through the adventurer hassle and the nearby forests are loaded with wood. So, it makes sense like Salmeuk said that they just head there to chop trees. (I'll probably put a limit on how much I can spawn in a certain period, though.)

Also, should I open the place to visitors? At this point it'd be more than reasonable that Waterlures has caught the attention of all manner of thieving miscreants travelers with good intentions.

edit. Almost forgot, I'm probably making a couple more of vanilla DF plants millable to dye (which are used in dyeing IRL). I'm always a bit disappointed that there's only four different dyes in the game, and I forgot to add my own dye plants & reactions (unfortunately can't add them without a new world).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2022, 03:45:21 am »

Seems like visitors are more trouble than they're worth at times, but the capybaras don't know that and with that in mind I say we let them in.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2022, 08:12:09 am »

Seems like visitors are more trouble than they're worth at times, but the capybaras don't know that and with that in mind I say we let them in.

That really depends on how many villains there are around. If we're very lucky there won't be many and we'll mainly get bards, poets and performance troupes or monster slayers and mercenaries.

...Though, that's probably quite unlikely.

But hey, if we get tons of visitors with foul intent, we'll get to know the Sheriff of Waterlures better. And we all know how much we love elves -- everyone's favorite DF sentient species!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2022, 07:12:01 pm »

Part VIII:
A Calm Year

20th of Hematite, 355

“I met with Upnal who arrived with a caravan from the Just Union.

He was surprised (in a positive way) of our new wall. We had been 'very hardworking indeed' in his words. He was very polite and complimented the design, saying it will surely help keep us safe from all 'nasty things lurking in the dark'.

This year the merchants didn't have much to offer, but in any case I made a good deal. I feel like my skills in brokering deals is improving by the year. I did place several requests for next year. The usual building materials and such, though, it will still be long before we manage to begin building the observatory Tekkud has been hoping for.

Speaking of Tekkud, he was appointed head scholar of the House of Knowledge, and his quarters were moved into the tower. I hope that from there is a slightly better view of the stars than from his previous home above the carpentry workshops. I hope it will somewhat compensate for the lack of a proper spot to observe the celestial bodies.

But let me not waste no more time writing. It is time to get back to work: those fish don't clean themselves.”

Curiously a herd of saiga antelopes, those odd-looking antelopes with bloated nostrils, had found its way into the mines.

They caused a bit of ruckus when they entered the forge where a cougar and leopard were penned. The felines began chasing the antelopes and capybaras had to dodge from their way, interrupting work.

Suwu's archers, the Turquoise Veils, were dispatched to deal with the creatures: they would make a fine meal.

Ova was working on the south wall when he joined the ranks of those who had been struck by a fey mood.

He headed towards his house on the north slopes and went to the workshop he had downstairs. It was his personal leather working shop, but nevertheless, he lay claim to it, and fetched some sheep leather from the storage.

Ova's grand artifact: a sheep leather left glove sized for mandrill men. In the elven tongue its name was Limiliewi Naletí Nina, 'Matchedcatch the Sect of Races'. It was a simple glove with a peculiar name, but without much detail. Yet the craftsmandrillship was of the highest quality.

It would go to the vaults beneath the 'baronial' quarters -- where many other artifacts were stored.

It was a rainy early autumn day. 'Baroness' Kasat was heading to the trading pavilion to meet the merchants and the outpost liaison who had just arrived. They could be seen descending the western slopes. It was odd, for they usually came from the east. Perhaps they had been to Morningwilt before coming to Waterlures?

“Ow!”, Kasat suddenly yelped in pain. She felt a sting in her leg: a bee from Datan's hives was surely the cause of it. She didn't mind it much for she felt good after having a drink. Trading and negotiating went much more smoothly while slightly tipsy. Besides, bee stings were quite the regular occurence here. A bit of nuisance, yes, but a small price to pay for the excellent mead that could be from their honey.

Now I wonder how much stone the caravan brings this time. I hope we'll get at least enough quartzite for the paved roads, she thought, stepping under the pavilion's roof. She shaked her hands and head to get rid of some of the water coating her fur and tried to wipe her pig tail tunic and toga dry as best as she could.

“How do I look?”, she asked Zon presenting herself, arms stretched and turning around.

Zon, who was hauling crafts for trade, hardly looked at the self-proclaimed baroness, “You look fine Mrs. Waxedtiles, absolutely fine.” In truth, Zon couldn't care less: he was not so keen on dealing with merchants, haggling and making deals. Commerce was something he didn't particularly respect, but as long as it wasn't him doing the brokering, he didn't mind.

Fayoba was fishing below Edu's Fishery, next to the room of young Ïteb. He pondered if the child had been named in honor of the gorlak prophet or whether it was a common name in the Fence of Amusement. Probably the latter, since as far as Fayoba knew, neither Edu or Kib were worshipers of Ôsed. Of course they revered the Rabbit in the Sky, but that seemed to be more out of habit than anything else.

I wonder, why is it so?, Fayoba thought as he waited to feel fish nibble his bait. But yes, of course... The gods vie to gain followers, to gain strength. Power. Like the world they created, the gods too are competitive. I'd be a fool to think otherwise.

He was quite content when fishing, and the rain didn't bother him much. Being outdoors, breathing the fresh lake air, taking it easy without any rush -- now that was the life to him! The others, well, they were hard at work with the wall. Something that was necessary, yes, but was it though? It was about a year since the lizard came from the dark. Nasty, foul thing. Vicious. It could have been the doom of many of his friends, but such is life: both peace and strife belong to it.

But war. War didn't belong to the world. It was against the very spirit of life. Utterly repellent. And he did not feel so eager about this peaceful community turning into something that would concentrate on skills in the martial arts -- even if it was only to protect life.

The traditional winter festivites were once again arranged in the Fruit of Letters, the hall crammed full. It was finally time to rest after a year of hard work.

Unbeknownst to the capybaras, a pair of wolf men milled about the village and surroundings during the festivities.

Had they ran into the capybaras, it would certainly have caused panic and disorder.

=====

Nothing much really happened, so not much to report.

Just building the wall, but it's going up surprisingly quickly.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 19, 2022, 08:11:02 pm »

that's a good size for a wall. excited for the stonesense reveal

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2022, 06:58:28 pm »

Part IX:
A Spiral Horn and a Mayor

10th of Slate, 356

“The elven merchants came. I was certain that they would not bring anything of particular interest or value. I was wrong.

Instead of the disappointment like last year, they brought with them a magnificent beast from the blessed lands: a unicorn! Can you believe that? I had heard of such noble creatures only in stories, doubting their very existence... But to see one with your own eyes! The glimmering spiral horn, the golden eyes. The hair, soft and silken, shining like the whitest of snow!

In exchange for the unicorn (and a bit of clothing and fruit) I gave them a very, very large profit. Though it is doubtful they fully comprehended the value of the crafts... In any case, it is in my hopes that they will bring more of these wonderful equines next year.”

Young Logem, now twenty-two years old, was struck by a strange mood right on the cusp of summer. He headed to the glass furnace and stopped as if something was wrong. He took a piece of fabric lying about and began sketching on it with a piece of charcoal. He drew crude pictures of shining bars of metal, of cloth, stone blocks, a forest, a quarry, uncut gems and glass.

At first the others were confused. What was going on? Why is Logem not gathering materials? Clearly Logem was stricken with the odd fey magic many others had experienced, but this seemed different... Why did he draw? Shouldn't he rather work on whatever he was fated to?

It was Datan the dwarf who knew what this meant: Waterlures didn't have something the young capybara needed.

And what he needed was glass.

Fortunately it was a problem easily solved. Waterlures had pieces of glass lying about, but they had been stored behind lock and key. The reasoning behind this was simple (and slightly embarassing): Såkzul had hid them away behind locks so that Ïteb the prophet wouldn't think of them as gems that were meant to be cut.

And the bookkeeper had completely forgotten the whole thing.

While Logem was collecting materials for his creation, Unib the dwarf monk met with Kasat, petitioning for citizenship. As per usual, there had been a two year 'trial period' as a formality before proper citizen's rights were granted.

Many thought of it as a silly and outdated way to handle things, but Kasat was insisted on holding to the rules. For what kind of community would they be if laws were disgarded willy-nilly and everyone did as they pleased?

No, proper structure and order were necessary for a society to thrive.

Kudustgósmer, 'Princeumbral', a green glass cabinet of the highest quality!

It was encrusted with quartzite cabochons, decorated with plum wood and encircled with bands of table cut green glass. It menaced with spikes of pig tail and green glass. It was adorned with an image of a beet plant in black zircon, an icosahedral icosahedron in bismuth bronze and an ominous image of four full moon in limestone -- bringing back memories of the weregecko that had come to Waterlures nearly two years ago.

The cabinet was stored for now, but would later be put to good use.

Kasat had just arrived at the trading pavilion where the humans from the Just Union were unpacking their merchandise. She felt relieved and was in good spirits this day. For you see, she had just received word that the citizens of Waterlures had decided that since they numbered over fifty, it was only right that they have a mayor. Kasat had been slightly nervous and anxious about it: she was so used to being in charged that she would not know what to do if she was not chosen. In fact, she was certain someone else would be elected to the position.

However, she had given her merits too little credit -- perhaps due to her lack of self-confidence. If she would have put enough thought to it, she should have realised there really were no other potential candidates.

Limestone 25th, 356

Kasat had been visiting Vabôk the monk at a crafter's shop to see what he had made during a strange mood. An earring made of kimberlite and decorated with sheep bone. It was exceptionally made and Kasat had accepted the gift on behalf of all of Waterlures. I fine addition to the common treasury (though, to be honest, Kasat mostly thought of it as her treasury).

She was making her way to the trading pavillion to haggle with the dwarf merchants when she gave birth: her fifth child, a baby girl!

She was filled with bliss as she cuddled the little one in her arms.

But Kasat was not the only one to give birth that day, for Såkzul the bookkeeper, too, brought a girl to the Enchanted Dimensions. It was her seventh child -- her and Zuglar's family was easily the largest in Waterlures.

Some days later, on the 1st of Sandstone, a third child was born: a baby boy, making Kib and Edu very happy indeed.

And of course Ilral joined the birthing club, once again. She and 'Zultan' were blessed with a fourth boy, their children now numbering six.

It appeared that the winter festivities had served their purpose.

Spoiler: bonus (click to show/hide)

=====

Got to late autumn of 356 today.

South & west portions of the wall are pretty much complete (gatehouses & towers need a bit work still).

The north part is close to being finished. The east wall offers some protection, but it's still a ways to go before completion.

The lake will be left open. So, during a winter siege the capies will be screwed. Also, the walls are not high, are made of logs and despite having a lip, I'm certain enemies can and will climb over. But luckily sieges shouldn't be on the table yet (I think I kept it at the vanilla 80 pop trigger?).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 21, 2022, 03:59:15 am »

The babies continue to flood in.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 21, 2022, 08:13:50 am »

The babies continue to flood in.

Yeah, the winter festivities burrow seems quite effective in getting the capies to reproduce.

Gotta tone it down soon before our population rises too much.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 21, 2022, 11:06:27 am »

Catching up on the save. Lil Avo the plump helmet being this legendary hammerer is such an amazing visual. Picturing an mini  Executioner Smough. Still catching up. Great progress, love this fort
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 21, 2022, 12:06:31 pm »

Avo is certainly one of my favorites. He makes a great team with the hulking elephant man. The heroes of Waterlures for sure. Should give them more attention, but there's so many interesting characters in the place that it's hard to find time to write something about them all.

I also realised that the citizens from the first ten or so years are actually getting quite old. After five years we might start to see them dying of old age (60-80 is the standard animal person max age, though I have upped it a little a while back -- won't help those who were "born" before it, tho)... That is, assuming we don't get a horrific event that results in violent deaths.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 21, 2022, 03:51:28 pm »

geriatric capybaras waddling about with canes. now I've seen everything

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2022, 06:25:55 pm »

Part X:
Crude Baubles

The children were in their favorite place to hang out and play make-believe: the warehouse above the Fruit of Letters and the dormitory. It was something that the elders (or at least some of them) complained about. But it was not strictly forbidden, and besides all the toys were stored there.

It was early winter that day when Litast Razortongue was possessed by the fey spirits permeating the surroundings of the Lakes of Saturnity.

Down the stairs he went, stepped outside, snow gently falling from the skies, and walked into the crafting area to claim a workshop.

He gathered some orthoclase, bauxite gizzard stones and grizzly bear bones muttering to himself constantly, “Gemurnin Ginetusur... Gemurnin Ginetusur...”

Litast's creation was rather simple: a bracelet made of orthoclase and encrusted with cushion cut bauxite cabochons. It was adorned with hanging rings of orthoclase and menaced with spikes of grizzly bear bone.

There were no traditional winter festivities that year. Some continued work on the wall, though at a slower pace for winter. Others went praying to one of the many shrines, or to read at the library, while still some went out of old habit to the Fruit of Letters.

Edu and Ova were at the Oaken Gold, the crafters' guild hall, which hadn't seen much use. It was, in fact, still very empty and unfurnished.

Edu was quite satisfied when he noticed that Ova was interested in his explanations on the art of clothes making. Clearly the mandrill man had taken in his teachings, and possibly would put them to use at some point. Edu knew he wasn't the best clothes maker around -- that would be Såkzul or possibly Fayoba -- but he was good enough. Somewhat of an adept clothier.

But fishing was his main passion, though he had still ways to go before he would be as legendary as the wombat man or the prophet. He hoped to reach their skill before he would be too old. For he, like many of the capybaras, was growing old: he was soon in his mid-fifties. He hoped that he had still many a year ahead of him, but he knew that any capybara man over sixty was old, and the closer one got to eighty, the more respectable it was.

Around midwinter two crow men were spotted flying over the lake and circling around Tekkud's tower that stretched to the skies from the House of Knowledge.

Despite there being no festivities, the citizens did gather at the Fruit of Letters for Obsidian. They all needed a break from work. It was time to socialize and discuss the past year and what hopes they had for the next one (well, mostly it was just casual chitter-chatter and the occasional heated arguments -- Yawo's specialty).

Unib Hammerwhipped told the tale of the founding of Delightropes, a hillocks located on the southern side of the Incidental Points mountain range. It was one of the unfortunate settlements to fall during the onslaught of the goblins of the Hell of Miseries in the midwinter of 347, not so many a year ago.

Delightropes had been founded in the year 58, just south of the hillocks of Lanterncrushed by the Radiant Boulders. It was one of the many hillocks that had been founded to produce food and lumber for the growing population of the Mountainhomes. The main focus of the settlement being lumber and fish.

The founding itself wasn't so interesting, except that according to the legends, it was in a time before the Unaging King had risen to the throne. It was something that caused a bit of a stir in the room: gasping and murmuring, leading to some debating whether such a thing was true or not.

But in the hearts of some, it might have sparked some hope for a time when the rule of the king wouldn't be absolute and oppressive. Perhaps one day king Såkzul Cudgeltapers would fall and a new era would begin in the Fence of Amusements?

It was a thought that brought hope for the future.

Though, many had almost forgotten about the king they had fled to found Waterlures -- to the little ones he was just one of the bogeymen of tales their parents had told!

Summer had just arrived.

Kasat was having an informal meeting (though, frankly, it was more of a one-sided discussion), at the Hut of Romancing with Datan. Fayoba, Zuglar and Yawo also were there, though they hadn't been asked to attend. They just so happened to be spending their leisure time there.

“Oh, how rude that was of them! Calling it a mere crude bauble!”, Kasat was fuming to Datan, still ruminating on a deal gone very sour with the elves in early spring. Her portly body was shaking, fat quivering, as she clutched her paws tightly in fists, breathing heavily.

“Aye, I know. I've always said that never trust them pointy-eared wretches -- no offense Fayoba, you're different,” the dwarf replied, turning his attention to Fayoba in an apologetic manner.

“None taken, Datan,” the elf replied, quite amused of the whole situation. He had heard the story many a time in the few months since the incident: how Kasat had been very careful to not offer the elves of Múya Loré anything wooden or decorated with it. Yet, among the crafts she had given there had been one single ring made out of clear glass, which had offended the elves. It was a silly thing to be upset about -- both from the elves and Kasat -- was Fayoba's thought on the matter.

“How could've I known that they think clear glass is wood? Glass is made from sand, not wood!”, the ex-baroness-now-mayor exclaimed waving her hands.

It was then when Yawo interrupted, “I warned you. Many times. Do not cut wood. Do not anger the spirits. That thing, that thing you call...'pearlash' or 'potash', whatever, is it not made of wood, no?” Mentioning potash made Yawo's mind wander: did the name come from pot and ash? Was it somehow related to chamber pots, or the contents of such silly civilized trappings? Maybe the excrement was burned into 'pot-ash'? Her thoughts snapped back when Kasat continued her yammering.

“Pearlash is wood. Of course. Yes. That is very, very petty of them to think so! I even tried to apologize, but no! No, they just packed and left. Just like that!”, she stomped her foot loudly on the mead-stained andesite floor.

“Besides. They had no unicorns this year,” she continued and concluded her tirade, “They better offer an apology next year if they want to see more of our crafts! Hmpf!“

“I doubt they'll come,” Yawo barked at the mayor, thinking to herself, 'But if they come, they come not as merchants. They come as the forest's anger.'

=====

Yeah, completely forgot that clear glass is a no-no for elves.

Well, luckily they didn't have much of interest this year.

Didn't get much game time today, but work continued on the walls. It's mostly the eastern portion (and towers) that are unfinished. I think I'll have it done within a couple of gaming days.

geriatric capybaras waddling about with canes. now I've seen everything

Haha, I like the image that conjures into my mind. A pity old age hasn't much of an effect on the physicality of creatures.

Which reminded me: I should add a bit more detail to animal persons, like, hair getting gray at old age. Should work even after world gen, but probably not on already existing creatures. Maybe I could add mannerisms to them at the same time? (This is something I've actually planned to do for a long time, but never got to it. Now'd be a good time. edit: Tested it out. Causes crash to desktop on already existing creatures when trying to view their description. Didn't check whether it was a specific modification or do they all do the same.)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49