Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 48

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 66769 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]
« Reply #615 on: June 01, 2023, 02:43:47 am »

Sounds like we were luckier than it first appeared then, hopefully the next siege won't be as bad.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 01, 2023, 11:40:30 am »

just read through the siege... damn. poor Cusal. But the rest did brilliantly considering their relative size to the goblins (are they about the same, capybara peoples? maybe a little smaller?). How are the wounded now?

“Why, the whole notion is absurd!” Ïteb Workgray said to the gremlin sage, with a slight hint of agitation in her voice. Winter had just arrived, but Ïteb was oblivious to it for she had been discussing the concept of 'nothingness' with Nawo Lakehoof. It was something she had difficulties in accepting. She continued, “Even nothing must consist of something. It is impossible for what you speak of to exist.”

“Now listen, young lady,” the gremlin said with a patronizing tone, holding his arms behind his back, “It may seem that there is a logical problem in the whole idea, but if we separate things into matter and into space, we can begin to solve it. See, this space, this 'nothing' is not actually nothing, but, let us say, more of like a... receptable -- like that chest over there.” He pointed at the highwood chest normally containing writing materials, but now empty. “And in that receptable we can place objects -- matter -- such as parchments and quires. And as it is now empty, there is 'nothing' in it -- that is, it is filled with space, filled with nothing.”

“I would argue against that, good man,” Ïteb replied, tapping her paw impatiently on the floor, arms crossed in front of her chest, “But my throat is parched after all this nonsense. I must go quench my thirst, so please forgive me, I must go now.” She then turned around and left the lecture hall through the backdoor.

“Well, we'll continue this later then...” the gremlin said, scoffing in his mind at the simplicity of the capybara scholar's lack of intellect and logic.

I thought this was a coyly written interaction , well done haha . One must imagine these conversations happened throughout ancient history between those ignorant of the modern concept of '0', with most resulting in platitudinous dismissals or endless arguing.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 02, 2023, 01:07:08 am »

Haha, Wikipedia came (once again) to the rescue with the interaction about nothingness. Just googled the history of the topic and built a discussion based on it. I could've easily missed the whole scene, but luckily stumbled on it when looking around the map & unit list, and managed to get a nice gif with Ïteb leaving out the backdoor in the end. She was anxious about the discussion while the gremlin was satisfied.

Capybara people are size 57500, so just slightly smaller than goblins (and fortunately can use dwarf/goblin/elf equipment). I'm surprised that Etur was our only wounded and he was up and running just after a couple stitches. Those unarmored monks were actually a really good support squad, and also having most citizens train once or twice a year unarmed combat seemed to have made everyone legendary dodgers by now. Pretty sure that helped avoid much of the attacks. Even Cusal held up quite long considering that he had only a bow, no armor and was swarmed by 10-15 goblins.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 02, 2023, 12:37:43 pm »

Here's the save with Waterlures retired for those who want to check Legends (also, serves as a backup of the world just in case):

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16736

I'm planning to do a couple of new adventure camp settlements and/or expand existing ones, so it might take several days before I get to actual gameplay. Suggestions are welcome and if anyone has character ideas in addition to King Zultan's fox man they're more than welcome.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 05, 2023, 05:15:20 am »

Sounds like some exciting things are in the works.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 07, 2023, 02:54:48 pm »

Just a small update.

I've now made three (minor) camps. Don't know if they'll come to play at some point or not. Today I tried to expand Lonecanyons, but seems like I'll have to ditch it, since I think I encountered the beginnings of the animal population explosion bug. Sigh.

But good thing is that it looks like before today's work the site was ok (edit. thankfully I've been making lots of backups). I'm also starting to think that the biggest issue might be subterranean animal people and not other animals. Some testing with exterminate showed that they're the ones doubling even after it, but wild animals seemed to be kept in check. If this is the case, I'll in future games disable the subterranean animal ppl civs and make them just a kobold-like cave civ. Or just regular animal people without civs. (But yeah, this is mostly just a hunch and most likely I'm wrong.)

Also did a test to make a proper fortress on top of Hellsieges and in fort mode I could exterminate the insane amount of tigerfish, hippos and whatever to end the lag. Didn't try to retire it and visit in adventure mode and see will the issue re-emerge. But having a fort on top of a named camp/another site has it's own weirdness, so it's not much of a solution.

I might take some time off Waterlures, since having to scrap a whole days work sort of killed the mood, but we'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Oh, I also tried out "road building" by making unnamed adv camps next to each other. Works otherwise fine, but the fast travel map will naturally have a weird line of camps blocking what terrain lies there. So, might be something to try out with two sites that are almost next to each other rather than make a long "road" (where you couldn't fast travel anyways).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 08, 2023, 03:01:08 am »

That sucks that you lost all that work in Lonecanyons, would preemptively killing all the subterranean animal people help prevent this?

Also the road things sounds pretty cool.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 08, 2023, 03:54:44 am »

That sucks that you lost all that work in Lonecanyons, would preemptively killing all the subterranean animal people help prevent this?

It's not such bad that I lost that stuff. It really wasn't anything necessary to do. And I can redo it (took screenshots of the floor plans) fairly easily if I want. It's more that the animal population bug is a really frustrating one (along with the unretire volcano eruption bug), as it makes persistent worlds a bit of a hassle if you want to have many player created sites and visit them more than once. I really hope Toady addresses these bugs for the Steam adventurer release, as they can make parts of the world pretty much unplayable and new players will be frustrated when they run into them.

I've tried exterminating the sub animal ppl when they first spawn, but that doesn't help. Don't know how I could exterminate them before they spawn on the map.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 08, 2023, 04:08:37 am »

Hopefully if you decide to redo it the bug won't happen. Also sucks that you can't do a preemptive strike against the cause of the bug.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 08, 2023, 06:53:38 am »

Hopefully if you decide to redo it the bug won't happen.

I think if I just use gui/advfort instead of vanilla DF camp building and avoid off-loading the site (and take constantly backups) the bug should be avoidable.

(And probably in the future when visiting adventurer camps I'll make a backup of the save before entering. Just in case.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 08, 2023, 09:34:40 am »

Capybara people are size 57500, so just slightly smaller than goblins (and fortunately can use dwarf/goblin/elf equipment). I'm surprised that Etur was our only wounded and he was up and running just after a couple stitches. Those unarmored monks were actually a really good support squad, and also having most citizens train once or twice a year unarmed combat seemed to have made everyone legendary dodgers by now.

hmm, interesting. apparently wrestling will always have a place in DF combat. The shenanigans are too great.

sorry about losing progress... its funny you reference "animal populations explosion bug" when, in premium, a newly implemented bug has a very similar feeling (when invading underground civs break their pathfinding and end up stuck halfway up a cavern wall, it can destroy your game with lag).

secondly, the title "animal populations explosion" has me thinking of a certain level from Myth II, where (on one particular level) the deer were possessed by magical forces, and charged the players party, exploding with great purple geysers of flame and deer-bits when they drew close enough. but that's neither here nor there.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 08, 2023, 10:07:25 am »

its funny you reference "animal populations explosion bug" when, in premium, a newly implemented bug has a very similar feeling (when invading underground civs break their pathfinding and end up stuck halfway up a cavern wall, it can destroy your game with lag).

After reading about the Premium underground civ bug(s?), I've been wondering if that is somehow related to the adv camp animal pop explosion/duplicating bug? There seems to be something weird with the subterranean animal person civs. (Or maybe I'm just making connections where there is none?)

secondly, the title "animal populations explosion" has me thinking of a certain level from Myth II, where (on one particular level) the deer were possessed by magical forces, and charged the players party, exploding with great purple geysers of flame and deer-bits when they drew close enough. but that's neither here nor there.

Haha, that could sort of be moddable into DF. Though I guess it'd get annoying quite soon when wildlife comes charging and you "get caught in a burst of purple flame".

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 09, 2023, 01:56:12 am »

Hopefully the bug will be fixed by the time Toady adds adventure mode back into the new versions.

Haha, that could sort of be moddable into DF. Though I guess it'd get annoying quite soon when wildlife comes charging and you "get caught in a burst of purple flame".
That'd be a pretty cool mod to mess with in adventure mode.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 10, 2023, 03:47:16 am »

Alright, so I think I've now done enough behind the scenes work on adventurer camps and none of them seems to be bugged (except Hellsieges). I decided to skip the Lonecanyons expanding for now, since it really isn't necessary (well, neither were three of the four camps I made, but...). Maybe I'll redo it later, but now it's time for some actual playing and writing.

I just made some new characters to accompany Zultan's fox man (I very creatively named him Tanzul), so if all goes well without issues, I'll hopefully have a proper update within a couple of days.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 10, 2023, 04:06:24 am »

since it really isn't necessary (well, neither were three of the four camps I made, but...).
If you enjoy building those camps I see nothing wrong with making more of them.

Zultan's fox man (I very creatively named him Tanzul),
I like it, may he live a long life like my last guy.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 48