Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 48

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 66852 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]
« Reply #630 on: June 12, 2023, 11:33:08 pm »

Oh, I also tried out "road building" by making unnamed adv camps next to each other. Works otherwise fine, but the fast travel map will naturally have a weird line of camps blocking what terrain lies there. So, might be something to try out with two sites that are almost next to each other rather than make a long "road" (where you couldn't fast travel anyways).

re-reading this, how ironic that such a project ends up producing the effect of an annoying wall more than anything. do these camps also force you to zoom in like other hostile locations?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 13, 2023, 02:30:43 am »

Yeah, they zoom.

You're only forced to drop out of fast travel to enter the site, but then you can fast travel through the site... Until you reach the border where the next site is and you have to drop fast travel, enter the site, etc. So, not really a practical road building method.

I guess it might work better in building an actual wall, like a Great Wall megaproject or something. Wouldn't need named sites all the way with this method. I wonder how that'd actually affect the movements of questers on the map? Would they have to go through the gate or just walk through the wall in the fast travel map (I assume that when out of fast travel walls block their path)?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 13, 2023, 03:13:43 am »

A Great Wall megaproject sounds pretty cool but I'm not sure that's something you'd want to test with the world of Waterlures.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 13, 2023, 03:53:09 am »

A Great Wall megaproject sounds pretty cool but I'm not sure that's something you'd want to test with the world of Waterlures.

We'll build a grand wall around the whole lake to prevent goblins coming and we'll make the goblins pay for it!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 13, 2023, 12:13:24 pm »

hmmm. I have such little knowledge about these interactions on the world map between questers and locations. very tough to science without a great deal of setup, unlike the classic weapons testing or whatnot (which can be done fairly easily with arena).

perhaps this would lead to an interesting and somewhat realistic situation where parts of this 'Great Wall' are captured by the enemy and so the whole thing becomes a patchwork of ownership.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 13, 2023, 01:27:12 pm »

Probably questers and armies on the map can just go through, but I'm quite sure that if you're zoomed in to adventurer level and follow a quester, they'll have to find a gate or something to get through. Or maybe they'll just stop at the wall. Or maybe the game will crash.

Testing would require quite some setting up, but maybe I'll try at some point if the question begins to bother me (but not with Waterlures).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 14, 2023, 02:52:43 am »

The wall will be an interesting project to see when someone decides to try it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 14, 2023, 10:18:00 am »

Part V:
So You Want To Be A Hero?

1st of Granite, 383
Waterlures

As so many times before, when spring arrived, so too did the Prince. Her cold, ruthless spirit came seeking for those whose time was due and by the pact made with Ôsed she could claim their bodies, wrenching life from them. But their souls were not her's to touch, no -- they were to be united with the Rabbit in Her heavenly domain among the stars.

And so it came to pass that the capybara man pilgrim Meng Fancypaddle's time had come. He fell lifeless to the ground at the way shrine of Ôsed in the midst of his last prayers as the last snows of the winter fell from the sky. It was a fate he knew coming, and he accepted it, his soul full of wonder as he knew he would soon be shining in the night brightly with all who had left the mortal world before him.

It was Id Pucefloor, the naked mole dog man, who found Meng's body. He was coming to the shrine to ask Ôsed's blessings for the coming year, but instead he found one of the capybaras he had come to know dead. It saddened him, but deep inside he knew that Meng had spoken with the Rabbit before the Prince came.

Meng was surely at peace now.

Let us leave Waterlures for now, and head far, far to the north, into the lands of hot savannas and steaming jungles where town after town has been ravaged by the undead and war...

22nd of Slate, 383
Brimstaff

“Caught you!”, the fox man yelled out as he raised a turtle from the stream. It tried in vain to wriggle out of the grasp and bite the fox man who held it from the shell, putting it in a basket with two other turtles.

It was a rainy day at the coast, the sky dark with grey clouds and the last bit of light soon to fade as the sun set. The fox man Tanzul Whispermaw was a bit late finishing fishing for the day -- earlier he had no luck and there had been other matters to attend to. It had been quite the busy day, but Tanzul didn't mind, for hard work was what kept food on the table and roofs above heads.

“What do you think, Beso,” he turned his gaze to the magpie perched on his right shoulder, “Is this enough for the day?” The magpie looked at Tanzul curiously and gave a harsh chattering sound. “Yes, I thought so too,” the fox man smiled and picked the turtle basket, heading downstream towards the fishery.

Brimstaff was a small settlement, more like a permanent camp than a hamlet, on the coast of the Gulf of Liberation. It was considered part of the human kingdom of the Relieved Realms, and like most of the villages and towns here, it was untouched by the many wars of the North and unspoiled by the dark evils of the necromancer menace.

Only at the southernmost point of the land, the town of Squeezedactions had suffered greatly. It was a well known story in the land, how a long time ago the great bronze colossus Emepe Scorchedgrand the Superior descended upon the town, routing the defenders and sending citizens fleeing as it lay waste to the buildings. Since then rulership had changed hands many a time, but the Relieved Realms had never reclaimed it. For the place was shunned and thought to be cursed.

But the bronze colossus was not something Tanzul was concerned of. No, it was the stories of the vile sorcerers, the followers of that cursed dwarf Kadol Dimpledbronze, that bothered him. Perhaps the Relieved Realms was mostly safe. Perhaps there was peace. But how long could such peace last if the necromancers were allowed free reign?

What this kingdom needed was heroes. Heroes who would go forth to do good and fight evil, wherever it was found.

Tanzul walked into a house built on the sandbanks at the river mouth. It was where the fishery was and one could smell that easily even before entering. He stepped to the table and began rummaging for a knife. It was only then when he noticed he was not alone in the room.

“Oh, hello Dimbulb,” Tanzul said quite startled as he noticed the large, muscular hippo man leaning against the wall, playing with his bronze two-handed sword like it was a spinning top. He was a curious sight with his woolen turban and short ostrich plume skirt and nothing else on except his sandals. “I didn't notice you were there.”

“Hey, that's me!”, the hippo man said, “I'm right here, I am. Good thing you said that. Might have been lost if not.”

“A-ha... Yes,” Tanzul raised his brow as he began cleaning the turtles. “What say you that after I'm done with this we head up for a cup and meet the others? To discuss our plan.”

“I say that's a good idea!” Dimbulb replied, almost fumbling with his sword and sticking it in his foot.

After Tanzul had cleaned the turtles, he went off with Dimbulb to the longhouse standing on stilts next to the fishery. The scent of salty sea water was strong as the waves came roaring and crashing onto the beach.

In the longhouse, at its south end, were tables and at them sat several animal people. The locals called this part of the building 'The Beautiful Sponge' and it was where they frequently spent the evenings downing a mug or too many of rice beer after a hard day of fishing.

“Disgusting, that rain, I say,” the ostrich man wearing a llama wool cap and a thick coat and dress of shark leather grumbled, already well into his mug. “Every damn time it's my turn to look for oysters it rains. Every, single, damn time. It makes me so grouchy!”

“Oh, isn't he a grumpy one, isn't he, Imo?”, the hamster woman sitting on the other side chuckled as she scratched the sparrow on her shoulder. She then turned to the ostrich man. “Look Galel, it's not half as bad as it looks. We've got a roof over our head, mugs in front of us, the day is almost over an--Oh hi, Dimbulb and Tanzul! We were waiting for you here.” She shifted her attention as the hippo man sat down next to her and the fox man walked to the end of the tables.

“Evening Coni. Evening Galel,” Tanzul said to his friends. “Looks like we're all here now. Everyone still up with finalizing the plan?”

“Yes,” Coni the hamster woman said, and the others nodded and murmured in agreement.

The four companions, while they loved their home (well, perhaps the ostrich man wasn't so fond of it), had for some time planned to leave and head out to the larger world. To seek adventures. To seek fortune and glory.

Where they should head first caused some headache and it seemed like they couldn't come to an agreement, but finally it was decided that they certainly should avoid the cursed town of Squeezedactions to the south and the parts of the Dipped Hill bordering the elf lands of Múya Loré. None of them were experienced adventurers and the thought of facing the undead hordes and abominations of Kadol's followers was too harrowing for them. And it would be the end of them.

So they chose to start simple: they would head east along the coast, visit the many monasteries, heading from hamlet to hamlet until they came to the river Glazedlittle and from there turn north. Following the river they would come to the peaks of the Mountain of Combat, which they would cross, and beyond the mountains were dwarven hillocks.

They were bound to find something in which to help the poor folk of the hamlets and hillocks, to bring good to the world and have wrong-doers face justice.

But all those hamlets and hillocks lay in lands they were familiar with or knew of.

Their ultimate goal, once they were ready, was to head far to the east, across the Contained Field all the way to the mountains of the Axe of Radiances. There, there was were the Great Adventures were to be had. Far away from the peace of the Relieved Realms. Oh the stories they had heard of that place! The riches, the great heroes; the exotic customs and the strange gods...

By the time the plan was agreed on, everyone was excited (and more or less drunk) and they decided to leave on this very evening. Right now.

It was time to say goodbyes.

Tanzul was quite surprised that lady Añu Bronzegorge, the leader of Brimstaff, was expecting him at her room, and that she was not alone: Awiri Windybrown the silver-haired elf, Gili Meetmatched the gnu man and ÿonali Griffondrink the gnu woman were there, too.

“We will not try to talk you out of this,” the lady spoke, “For what you seek to do is noble and admirable. Perhaps it is the will of Sas, perhaps it is Icemì that guides you. I know not, but what I know is that this world needs to be mended. All the armies on the march, the foul beasts, criminals, bandits, bone-chilling horrors... You have my blessing, if that is what you seek.”

“No lady Añu, it is not what I seek,” Tanzul said, bowing his head slightly, “Blessing or not, we would head on our quest, but do not get me wrong: your blessing is welcome and it gladdens my heart. It is good to know you support us, as you have always done, my lady... But you said something about bandits, did you not?”

“Yes, there is this group of bandits -- a old group -- called the Grand Spikes. For a century and half they have been causing much hardship to many a settlement along the coast. It is no secret that they have made camp in the Dipped Hills, in a place called Linewiped.”

“Where is this Linewiped you speak of?” Tanzul asked the lady.

“Not far from here. It is merely a half day's travel to the north. Here, let me show you on the map,” Añu explained as she pointed the location on the map. It was close and was along the way Tanzul and the rest had planned to go. Perhaps it was something they would check, though it seemed to be quite a bit away from their planned route.

Tanzul and the lady then talked a bit about the fox man's plans, Dimbulb all the time leaning against the wall, scratching his hippo nose and blowing at insects that came too close to him. Then farewells were exhanged between all in the room, and as Tanzul and Dimbulb were about to leave, the gnu man Gili stepped forward.

“We have something for you. For your journey,” he said as he presented something bundled into shark skin. As Tanzul took it in his paws and began to open it, the gnu man reached behind the cabinet and took out a fine-looking spear. “A helm of bronze to protect your head, an oaken breastplate from Múya Loré, iron mail chausses and this, a steel spear we managed to acquire from a dwarf smith.”

Tanzul looked surprised. He wasn't expecting such a fine gesture from the folk they were about to leave behind. “W-w-why, thank you,” he stammered, “I am at a loss of words for such a fine gift...”

“Words are not needed, fox man,” Awiri the elf spoke, “This is but a way for us to wish you safety on your adventures. May Icemì guide and protect you.” He then turned to the hippo man, looking him from head to toe, “I am sorry Dimbulb that there is nothing for you. It is difficuly to get anything your size, but I am certain you can manage with what you were born with.”

“Don't worry. I got a thick skull and thick skin,” Dimbulb said, pinching his skin hard and yelped, “OW! That hurt... But I got strong fingers too!”

There was some laughing in the room, then hugging, and a few tears were shed before Tanzul and Dimbulb left the room, heading to meet up with Galel and Coni who had said their farewells earlier.

So the odd group of would-be adventurers set forth, night almost upon them. The rain was now a heavy downpour and made the grass all slick and muddy as they walked through it. They headed north along the coast, though they could not see the sea through the rain and the heavy fog that blanketed the entirety of the shore. Even the crashing of the waves was muffled by the rain.

After a few hours of travel the sky had cleared and the stars were out, shining brightly. The coast was still shrouded in fog, but nevertheless, the companions decided to make camp next to the sand under a wide-canopied acacia.

They huddled around the fire, eating some crab meat they had hunted and talking excitedly about their plans and coming adventures. Eventually weariness took over and they went to sleep one after the other.

23rd of Slate, 383

The next day began with a clear sky, the rays of the rising sun shining upon the dew and puddles left behind by the rain. The waves of the ocean made a soothing rhythmic sound as they splashed on the shore, and the squawkings of seagulls filled the air. It was a good day to travel.

As the companions rose from the sandy shore to the savannas, they noticed that there were some buildings in the north. In the dark they had missed them, but this was certainly one of the monasteries along their way, and they decided to visit it.

Touchsoaps, the monastery, was mostly empty and the travelers learned little of any dangers needing to be dealt with there. They met a human who mostly complained having to sleep without a proper bed and a kobold who muttered unintelligible words, but was apparently a prophet of some sorts.

Tanzul and the others continued their journey without lingering long at the monastery.

After a short walk to the southeast they came to the hamlet of Tressedstatic. It was an eerily quiet place with most of the houses abandoned and in disrepair, but it was not entirely uninhabited. They met a human named Siga at the local well who told that the locals headed to a the dwarven fortress of Fencereined to trade. It was as much as Tanzul expected, for he had heard of the place and most of the villages here went to trade there as far as he knew. But other than that, there was not much to learn from him.

Siga directed the travelers to the manor of the local ruler, lady Suku Potdented. But there was no good deeds to be done here either. The largest problem seemed to be a dispute between the ruling body of Tressedstatic, the Councils of Destiny, and the Unbridled Society of Lancecandles, the neighboring village.

Human politics and the squabbles of nobility was something the companions did not want to get involved in. What they were searching for was evil to defeat, not some petty lords and ladies bickering over land or what-not.

Just east of the hamlet was Breachedwondered, a monastery of the Doctines of Cleaning -- worshippers of Zoku the Permanency of Quests. There the travelers entered what looked like a dormitory, which was in dreadful shape: corners were full of cobwebs, the floor covered in dust and litter, bed clothes strewn about, and it reeked horribly of old alcohol. A group of humans was gathered there and a couple were dozing off their drunkenness.

“Greetings,” Tanzul began, “I am Tanzul Whispermaw and we are... travelers on the way to the east.” Tanzul hesitated as he eyed the suspicious looking lot. He thought it wise not to reveal their true purpose, for these folk certainly looked like scoundrels or possibly bandits.

“Hello there, fox man,” a lanky woman with a clean-shaven head replied with a clear voice, “I am Manba Alespulls. What brings you to Breachwondered, the home of the Blowing Butters?”

“She's the --hic-- chieftess,” another bald woman, visibly drunk and very muscular, said from the floor where she sat. “She's my half-sister... --hic-- And all this lot, they're a bunch of nasty outlaws they are, haha.”

“Shut up Almo,” the chieftess Manba snapped. Tanzul noticed she had a cruel-looking long knife tucked into her belt and her hand moved slowly towards it. With a quick sideway glance he noticed the other humans to be armed too: one had a pike and another had a scimitar (though, its wielder was asleep or passed out for the moment).

“Outlaws, bandits, hmh. That's what the nobility likes to call us,” Manba addressed Tanzul. “They steal from the peasants, make them work the fields for a pittance. They have them flogged or put to the stocks for being unable to pay full taxes... And they call us thieves! Thieves!” She began fuming and grasped the handle of her knife. “Why, they are the true bandits! We merely take back from them what never was theirs to have!”

“Bah, such excuses!” Galel the ostrich man scoffed at the woman. “You're no better now, are you? 'Taking back from the nobles', pshht! You don't steal from no nobles, you don't. You go bully and harrass the peasants who are already downtrodden -- I can so much from what you carry. There's nothing on you that would come from a noble!”

The room erupted into action at that. Everyone went for their weapons, yelling and shouting angrily. Tanzul spun around, noticing a pikeman at the door and tried to stab him, but he parried it easily with the shaft of his weapon.

Coni went on a flurry of stabs and slashes with her dagger, quickly dispatching one of the humans to the ground as Galel lashed around frantically with his whip. Tanzul poked and stabbed, but his spear didn't find its mark.

With a mighty bellow Dimbulb brought down his two-handed sword, severing the hand of the scimitar-wielding drunkard. Blood flowed in the room and a cacophony of screams of terror, fury and pain filled the room as the would-be heroes fought the bandits, believing they were doing a service for the world.

“Run my comrades, run!” The chieftess yelled in panic. “We must withdraw from these madmen!”

Galel bit the human scimitarman -- who now had lost both his left hand and right arm -- in the ear, tearing it off with his beak. The mutilated human screamed on the floor as he lost limbs and other bodyparts one at a time.

“I say, Galel,” Coni shouted to the ostrich man as she pulled her embedded dagger away from the human, “Your bites are quite remarkable!”

“Why, thanks for your kind words!” The ostrich man laughed as he whipped and lashed madly around him, “But I'm not sure if this is the right moment for compliments!”

The mutilated human vomited.

And then Dimbulb's massive blade came down on his neck, putting the armless wretch out of his misery.

Tanzul's spear finally hit its target, entering the neck of a retreating bandit from behind. The bandit dropped his pike.

Tanzul noticed the chieftess go for the backdoor. He looked around the room and his companions seemed to have things in control: the remaining bandits were in a pitiful state and would soon be struck down. The fox man decided to give chase and not let the leader of the bandits escape.

The chieftess didn't get far before Tanzul began to catch up. He noticed an opening and thrust his spear, hitting Manba in the left shin. It was enough to make her fall over.

Tanzul bore upon her as Coni and Galel rushed to the fray from behind.

“You killed Idri!” The chieftess screamed at Tanzul as she tried to crawl away in the grass, “You monst--”

The chieftess fell silent. Tanzul's spear was lodged deep in her head.

The bandits had met their end and the companions had done their first good deed.

...At least, that is how they saw it.

A view of Brimstaff

=====

Took quite some to get this done. Had some time off DF and then a sudden lack of motivation, but it was fun in the end when I just forced myself to continue.

No idea which direction this will go. Wasn't really intending to go all murderhobo on the bandits, but well, it sort of happened, soooo... We'll see what kind of "heroes" these become or will they just end up dead.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 15, 2023, 04:31:18 am »

Some times going murder hobo is a fun thing to do, and there's nothing wrong with that. Hopefully they won't end up dead anytime soon.

It is a beautiful thing.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 16, 2023, 03:32:51 pm »

I sense a good story will come from this setup...

“A-ha... Yes,” Tanzul raised his brow as he began cleaning the turtles.

ah, yes, the time honored tradition of turtle-brushing.

Galel bit the human scimitarman -- who now had lost both his left hand and right arm -- in the ear, tearing it off with his beak. The mutilated human screamed on the floor as he lost limbs and other bodyparts one at a time.

having seen chickens pick apart small insects in a similar fashion, this was totally gruesome. .

now now, just because the first lot were struck down doesn't mean a full descent into murderhoboism is imminent. those miscreants threw the first blows, in a metaphysical sense at least, and so received just desserts. 

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 19, 2023, 09:38:27 am »

Part VI:
No Need For Heroes

23rd of Slate, 383

The sun was high in the western sky with no clouds in sight as Tanzul the fox man, Dimbulb the hippo man, Galel the ostrich man and Coni the hamster woman crossed a bridge leading to the village of Lancecandles. It was only a short walk east from the monastery where the companions had slain a small band of bandits. They were all emotionally in a state of fear or uneasiness after the battle. They had begun the fight easily and with enthusiasm, but they were all shocked how easily killing was and how gruesome it could be. Yet all of them tried to hide these emotions, not sure how to express them to the others.

Coni fed some seeds to her sparrow Imo as she walked alongside Dimbulb, looking at his odd choice of clothing. The hippo man looked absolutely ridiculous with his woolen turban, ostrich feather skirt and sandals, a large backpack and two-handed sword on his back. “I say, Dimbulb,” she began chuckling slightly, “Such a great taste you have. I must say that the sperm whale leather sandals truly make the outfit with those plumes that could be from Galel and that lump of a wrapping on your head!”

“Why yes...” the hippo man began his reply, but paused and stopped walking. He thought for a moment and another. Then he suddenly began to puff and puff, rage beginning to well up inside, until he blurted, “HEY, ARE YOU TRYING TO MOCK ME!?”

Coni ran behind Galel to hide, peeked from between his ostrich legs and tried to calm the fuming Dimbulb, “Oh no, I would never make fun of you, Dimbulb! I really, really meant what I was saying...”

“Forget Coni's words,” the ostrich man joined in. “Whether an insult or not, who cares? Hold your temper and reserve it for the next group of bandits we face.”

Dimbulb calmed down as quick as he had angered. He and Galel began a surprisingly complicated (for Dimbulb) discussion about skill as they continued to walk towards the hamlet. Coni stayed a bit back -- just in case.

Lancecandles was in a sorrowful state: many of its buildings stood empty and there were quite a number of houses in ruins. But the gardens, though slightly overgrown, were a beauty to behold: muskmelon and squash vines climbed up the walls of houses, caper bushes bloomed, as did the chickpeas and red spinach. Food, at least, was plentiful even if there were few people around and they appeared otherwise poor.

The manor, however, was well-appointed: pedestals carved out of various precious stones or forged out of expensive metals lined the walls and a golden hatch led to the basement. Anu Rainmachines, an elf, was the local lady. The companions talked with her for a while and she was happy to hear that the bandit chieftess Manba Alespulls had been slain. “An act of justice. Well done, protectors of the defenseless,” she said of it. But other than that there was no reward nor were there other troubles that needed to be dealt with... Well, except for the dispute with Tressedstatic, the neighboring hamlet, but that was something they were not willing to get caught in.

So, the companions continued their journey to right wrongs and defeat evil-doers, their confidence bolstered by the praise of the elf lady.

24th of Slate, 383

East of Lancecandles was the hamlet of Snarlsoapy and the travelers stayed there over the night. A human hammerman named Rope Villagemurdered offered shelter for them. They accepted, though the hammerman's name caused Dimbulb to be somewhat uneasy. But it was a good night's sleep and nobody was murdered.

At dawn the party left Rope's home while he was sleeping, leaving a note of thanks -- even though it was doubtful he could read.

There was not much in the manner of quests to be taken in Snarlsoapy. Certainly there was talk of the ancient colossus of bronze, Slatsu Clobberedbraved the Ace Maw, that resided somewhere in the Awe-Inspiring Forest, but the fledgling adventurers knew that it was something they couldn't handle even if they were warriors from legend. Other than that the learned of trouble brewing with the goblins of the Tight Torments -- cruel, viscious murderers bent on torture and mayhem.

So their journey continued along the river, turning north, through the village of Diesect, which was once again full of ramshackle abandoned houses; through Clodcanyon and Sensedorders, but there was not much work to be found to would-be heroes. Missing spears and hammers, dangerous titans and bronze colossi, rumors of foul things going on in places none knew where they were... It was frustrating to them all and it showed: Dimbulb lost his temper more frequently than usual and Galel argued with peasants just for the sake of arguing.

The hamlet of Faintedvise was a curious place. It was north of Sensedorders along the river as it made a turn northeast. What made it curious was not that the buildings were intact nor the river curve, but that many of its denizens were dwarves. Perhaps they originated from the peaks of the Mountain of Combat looming in the north or from beyond?

But even in Faintedvise there was not much the adventurers could help with.

As the sun began to draw towards the west, the companions stopped between two small ponds to eat and rest. It was hot and marching from hamlet to hamlet in the sun was beginning to tax the travelers, so they sat down under the shade of orange and lime trees, digging some crab meat from their packs.

As they ate, Tanzul played with his magpie, Beso, trying to focus on something else than the frustration caused by the lack of quests. He did not pay heed to Dimbulb who looked anxious and nervous, but the hamster woman Coni noticed that something disturbed the hippo man.

“Say, Dimbulb,” she began, “I really do think that your outfit is great. Especially your turban, it really stands out in a good way... But what's on your mind? You look a bit troubled?”

“Well... I don't know,” Dimbulb answered, turning his gaze to the ground as he held his hands in front of him and nervously drew in the dirt with his foot. “It's those bandits, I guess. I feel bad about all the blood and screaming... So easily broken...” He then turned to look at the hamster woman, his hippo face all sad, “Did we do right, Coni?”

“Yes, it was quite gruesome,” Coni said as she raised her finger on which her sparrow was perched, “It certainly made me uneasy and... horrified. Yes, even horrified. All that death and blood.”

She paused for a moment as she flicked her finger to give Imo a flying start. She then turned back to the hippo man, continuing, “But I think we did right. The lords and ladies of the villages were mighty happy to see the bandits gone. And did you see how poor the peasants were? Leaking roofs, houses with collapsed roofs... Perhaps what we did will improve their situation now?”

Dimbulb was silent, thinking.

“Look Dimbulb,” the ostrich man Galel joined in. “If we're to be some kind of heroes or what-not, I can assure you that there will be more blood. Much more blood. And screaming. Limbs and heads flying. Bandits vomiting. You --we-- best get used to it.”

“Really?” Dimbulb asked, looking quite distraught. “I-I guess you're right then. You're always right, Galel. I best get used to it...”

“Oh praised be Jalew Goldenmatched!” Coni puffed and flung her arms in the air, a sarcastic tone in her voice, “It's great we have the likes of you around, Galel.”

The hamlet of Padbolted looked deserted. There were no signs of life and all the houses looked like they had been empty for ages, their roofs rotted and some with half-collapsed walls. The companions remembered some old tales of how in the distant past this place had fallen into ruin after war with elves and then with the necromancers. They didn't expect to find anyone at the manor, so they were quite surprised when they entered and saw a human at the back wing.

Tanzul approached the man who was thin, but had incredible muscles. A short beard grew on his prominent chin and his hair was shaven. Looking around, Tanzul saw sacks and chests strewn about, so full that they almost spilled their contents -- armor, weapons, beautiful crafts and such.

“Hello, human,” Tanzul raised his hand and greeted the man, “I am Tanzul Whispermaw. We are but travelers on the way to the east and north. We thought this place was abandoned from the looks of it, but I guess we were wrong.”

“Ah, greetings, fox man,” the human replied a hint of surprise and anxiety in his voice. “You may call me Ica, Ica Tubsyawned, and... Ehem, this is Padbolted, and, and I, ah, am the lord. Yes, the lord of this humble village...”

“It is strange to see a lord in an empty village,” Galel joined the discussion. “No soul in sight, the houses empty, and yet here you are, all alone in a keep that has seen better days.”

“Why yes, uhm, it is hard to get servants these days, yes,” the human said, beads of sweat beginning to form on his forehead. “Awfully difficult. Terribly. And with all the lordly matters to attend to I haven't had the time to, ah, clean the place... But who might you be, ostrich man?”

Coni and Dimbulb stepped to the sides of Galel as he began his reply, “Who I am? Why, I am Galel, and I am not surprised you would not find any servants in an empty village. Not that I believe you for an instant, liar.”

“Who are you, really?” Tanzul said sternly to the man, furrowing his brow as he stepped closer to the human. “You're no lord, that much we can tell. And those things in the bags... They certainly don't look like something a person like you would own by lawful means.”

“Keep your distance, fox man!” The human glanced around him nervously, noticing his back was against a wall and the party of animal people blocked his exit. “My men will soon be here and deal with you troublemakers!”

“I think not,” Tanzul said angrily, his paw going slowly for the spear strapped to his back. “You are not the first bandit we deal with. It was I who put down the chieftess Manba Alespulls, whose cries and pleading I didn't give a damn about.”

“Hand over your knife and come with us willingly,” the fox man ordered as he unstrapped his spear, “We will bring you to face justice. Come peacefully and you may keep your life.”

“Hah! Justice? Justice! To be hanged from a tree along the road? I think not, fox man,” the human laughed, his voice beginning to quiver with fear, “You will not have my knife without a fight, fools! I will take my chances with you lot!”

“Very well,” Tanzul said and turned to look at his companions, “Dimbulb. Coni. Galel. Do what you do.”

“There, at least we gave a proper burial this time,” Tanzul said as he looked at the shoddily built date palm coffin at the end of the earthen burrow they had dug. “Perhaps this makes you feel better, Dimbulb? And the rest of us, too?”

Dimbulb, still feeling uneasy, closed the lid of the casket. “I guess it's better this time. He didn't have time to scream.”

“Pfft, the idiot barely got his knife out,” Galel eyed the casket with a mocking look on his face, “Tanzul's spear to the chest and Coni's dagger to his poor, stupid head was all it took. Such a pitiful case. I see not why we wasted the time to bury him. He hardly deserved it.”

Despite Galel's words, they were all unsure if all this killing was something they were up to, but all kept their feelings to themselves. For once they were silent as they left the burrow, which they had dug just on the northern outskirts of the abandoned hamlet.

So the journey of the adventurers continued once more.

As the party reached the outskirts of the monastery Modestbastion, the sun began to set and the heat was pushed away by a cool breeze from the west. The companions hoped that they could stay for the night at the monastery, but if that wouldn't be the case, it mattered not: the sky was clear and sleeping outdoors would be pleasant enough.

The monastery turned out to be abandoned, but two humans had taken shelter there. They agreed on letting the companions stay at the dormitory for the night. Tanzul told tales of their heroic exploits and how they had put an end to bandits. His storytelling skills were not good and he often stumbled in details. They then picked beds to sleep in and lay their heads to rest.

25th of Slate, 383

At the first light of dawn the party continued their journey, following the river upstream to the north. The mountains were larger in the horizon now, and as they scrambled up a hill they saw a castle with glimmering walls in the distance.

But the castle, too, proved to be a waste of time. While its walls were intact and it was in a decent state, it was not occupied by lords or ladies with need for heroes. It was an abandoned, unorganized place where a group of peasants had made their home. The companions were certain that they were not bandits, but merely farmfolk from the surrounding lands seeking the protection of the castle's sturdy walls -- it was, after all, at the borders of the heart of the Relieved Realms and the threat of the necromancers was said to reach here.

The castle was the last settlement along the river before the Mountain of Combat, which loomed ever the larger in the north. The companions plan was to cross the peaks to the other side and visit the dwarf hillocks that lay there. Their hope was that perhaps there they would finally find a meaningful quest.

“It's like fishing, I think,” Tanzul said to Coni who seemed a bit disheartened. They had stopped at the foothills of the mountains and Tanzul had just caught two turtles from a pond. “Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not. But what matters is that you are persistent and continue your work. With hard work, you're bound to catch something eventually.”

“Well, I don't know,” Coni replied, “It seems like an awful stretch comparing fishing to searching good deeds to be done... But I don't really want to argue about it.”

“But it is very much the same,” the fox man continued despite Coni's protests. He was a bit annoyed that the hamster woman didn't agree with his view on adventuring. “Like fishing in new waters we have had little luck in finding quests, but also like in fishing we have been struck by luck several times because we have continued and continued, working hard to find one. How so is that not the same?”

“I guess I'm not sure...” Coni mumbled and turned away, feeling glum about the whole discussion.

The voyage over the mountains was a rather uneventful one. They followed a narrow valley carved by a brook winding through the lower peaks. The sun didn't blaze as hot in the highlands, but the weather was still warm, occasionally cooled by a breeze from the west.

When they were almost across the mountains that were more like foothills, they noticed a dirt road in the north. Looking at their map they thought it led to the first of the hillocks that they planned to visit.

At first the companions thought the hillocks were abandoned: there were no signs of life and the gardens were untended. Nevertheless, they went from hillock to hillock until they came to what presumably was the local drinking hole from the looks of it.

But instead of dwarves, they found a goblin with a spear inside.

“Huh? What? Who the hell are you folk?” the startled goblin asked, eyeing the unexpected visitors with suspicion.

“Greetings,” Tanzul began his introduction and raised his hand, “I am Tanzul Whispermaw and we are travelers from beyond the mountains. There is no need to be alarmed.”

“Uh, I'm Liriva, Liriva Skeweredtower,” the goblin replied, keeping close eye on the companions' movements. “Tanzul, eh? Quite the odd name... What brings you to Quakegilt? There's nothing of interest here.”

“Well, I'd prefer to be the judge of that,” the fox man said as he tried to get a feel of what kind of person this goblin might be. “If I may, I'd like to ask are you the only one living here? Everything seemed awfully empty...”

So the companions discussed with the goblin and came to think he was honest. He was a soldier and worked under a goblin leader, yes, but he did not seem to have any ill intent. The goblin told that the hillocks indeed were mostly abandoned and there was nothing organized, this was just a stop for him on his travels. But he also told that a goblin warlord called Utes Jackalward resided somewhere here and he acted as if he owned the place. Not that Liriva seemed to mind it, but the warlord certainly seemed like one with foul intentions. Of the warlord's forces, Liriva did not know.

The adventurers decided to investigate and confront the warlord.

It did not take the companions long to find who they searched for. In the largest mound, which was clearly where the seat of power used to be, they saw a goblin woman clad in leathers and furs, holding a mace to her side.

As Tanzul and the companions approached the goblin to greet her, she grabbed her copper mace firmly and yelled, “Who are you who dare interrupt me? Identify yourselves!”

And with that a fight broke out.

Tanzul bashed at the goblin warlord with his spear shaft, but she struck it aside with her mace at the same time as she dodged a lash of Galel's whip. But the ostrich man was quick to whip out again, striking the goblin in the thigh, the whip twisting around it and with a yank he pulled the goblin to the ground.

Fear began to take hold of the warlord for she was outnumbered and her opponents seemed more skilled than she had thought. She had made a terrible mistake.

The companions swarmed the goblin, Dimbulb's two-handed blade slashing here and there, severing foot and hand as Galel continued his onslaught with the whip.

In desperation and panic the now mutilated warlord tried to scramble towards the door, but it only gave Tanzul an opening and he thrust his spear into her back. The goblin shrieked and her breathing became heavy and wheezy.

Dimbulb's blade came down again and again, Galel's whip lashed out and Coni stabbed and stabbed.

Tanzul thrust his spear again at the goblin, hitting her in her stomach, the spear digging deep into her. Bloodied, almost limbless and already at death's door, it was finally enough to snuff the life out of her.

As the companions stood around the lifeless goblin, Galel rolled up his whip and slung it back to his belt. “Well, she got what was coming,” the ostrich man said. “One could say it was inevitable.”

So the journey continued and the party headed to the northwest where another hillocks lay. The day was still young and they were quite confident that they would reach the end of the first leg of their journey before nightfall. They had done much good in these lands (they insisted on it to each other) and it surely had helped the poor innocent folk of the Relieved Realms, making their lives of endless toil more bearable (in their minds).

Soon they could continue their journey to the East, where the Real Adventures were to be had.

“Dwarves? Dwarves? Where did you get that silly idea in your head?”, the hook-nosed elf looked at Tanzul, his brow raised in disbelief.

The companions had been quite surprised when they entered the civic mound of the hillocks of Healgear. Instead of the short, stout mountain folk they had expected to find, the grand mound was inhabited by elves and humans -- there was not a single dwarf in sight.

“There has been no dwarves here for centuries, fox man,” the elf continued, “My name is Famime Growledline, and what may I call you?”

“I am Tanzul Whispermaw,” Tanzul replied.

“Ah yes, well, Healgear has been ruled by the Petal of Geniuses ever since the ancient war between us and the treacherous dwarves. Those monsters, how they dared treat the plants and animals in such a cruel manner!” Famime kept going, “But if you want to learn more of our history talk to the scholar Masami Talonfame or to Cacame Nameleaf, who is administrator. I am but a merchant, though I can tell you that if it is dwarves you seek, you best head far to the east or southeast.”

The elf then went on recounting a bit of his travels with a group of other elves from Múya Loré to do trade with the dwarves of the east, the Bent Spear, and then further south with the Fence of Amusement. Last time he had been there was to a place called Waterlures, which curiously enough was a town mostly inhabited by capybara folk and other animal people -- something quite unheard of.

The companions talked with the other elves, too, telling tales of their adventures and asking more of the history of this place. The elf scholar Masami told tales of the war that ended up destroying the kingdom of the dwarves of the Mighty Ship, but also how the necromancer Kadol Dimplebronze rose from their ranks and began the terror wrought by the undead. Of the Fence of Amusement he knew not much else but that their king, the Unaging King, ruled with an iron fist and the people suffered. He also told more of the place called Waterlures and how it now housed one of the grandest libraries in the world, “though, nothing compared to the one in Fencereined, of course.”

But there was nothing in Healgear that needed heroes.

And so they decided it was time to set forth to the east, following the directions given to them by the elves. There, certainly, they would find true adventure.

=====

Not much luck with the game throwing any quests for our adventurers, but at least I got to the end of the first stretch of their travel plans.

Next we head off east and then hopefully somehow south to Waterlures eventually. We'll see.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 20, 2023, 01:50:53 am »

our heroes need purpose!

funny how the goblin underling felt no particular urge to attack the party, but when you finally met the warlord, the fight came about quickly.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 20, 2023, 03:30:20 am »

our heroes need purpose!

Yeah, that's for sure. There were many "local troubles" like mentions of bronze colossi and titans, but that's way out of the adventurers' league. Also some mentions of Kadol's necromancers and such, but that'd take our heroes the wrong direction.

I think it's sort of a general adventure mode problem that if you don't make up your own purpose, you'll just end wandering and wondering what to do.

But I think it's ok for our current heroes at this point to wander and wonder.

funny how the goblin underling felt no particular urge to attack the party, but when you finally met the warlord, the fight came about quickly.

Oh, the other goblin wasn't an underling of the warlord. He was a legit soldier from a goblin civ and served under a different commander (had to check with Legends because it was sort of confusing). The warlord however was a bandit, so a target for our heroes.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 20, 2023, 03:54:53 am »

Hopefully they will find the quests they seek in one of the next towns they enter.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 48