Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 48

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 69160 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #210 on: October 22, 2022, 06:52:04 pm »

Part XI:
The Eye of the Storm

3rd of Galena, 357

Summer was in its last third. Eight year old Oddom Rackknight, son of Såkzul and Zuglar, was at a crafter's shop. He was pleased. He had just finished his creation after being stricken by a mood -- one more who joined the ranks of those possessed by the spirit of the area.

Tangathtögum, 'Trampleverses', an amulet made out of tower-cap was what he'd worked on for some days now. It was masterfully crafted, intricately decorated with yak boe and encircled with bands of tower-cap, plum wood, pear cut red spinels and oval rutile cabochons with spikes of andesite. The central focus of the amulet was an image of a wolf woman embroidered in cave spider silk: it depicted Shelret Battleankles hard at work, relating to the wolf woman's settling in the Laconic Prairies nearly two centuries ago. Surrounding the image were two caper bushes engraved from red spinel and a guava tree in goat leather.

It was quite the sight to behold.

6th of Timber, 357

Mayor Kasat gave birth to a girl in a rather unusual place: in a study of the House of Knowledge. Perhaps it was a sign that the child would be destined to be a scholar? Maybe she would be taught astronomy under the tutelage of Tekkud when she was older? These kind of thoughts went through her mind, for she knew she was getting old -- fifty-eight now -- and she wanted everything to be perfect and secure for her offspring.

Zuglar stepped into his office, dusting the snow from his alpaca wool vest and rather tattered cat leather cap. He was quivering. It was cold outside and that blasted snow storm surely didn't help. Even inside one could see their breath. Zuglar grumbled, pulling his chair from under his task and sat his rather corpulent form on it. The exceptionally made ginkgo wood chair creaked and groaned under his weight -- had it been of poorer quality, it surely would have given in.

As Zuglar picked up his quill and thumbed the stack of papers on the desk, he thought about the chair. It had served him well since... Well, since 'Quandale' was still alive. At least he thought the chair was the craftscapyship of her. It was a long time since that horrid day when her body was discovered. The culprit never found. It angered and saddened Zuglar. He felt a tear form in the corner of his eye. He wiped it and tried to clear his mind.

“Now focus Zuglar, focus. These work orders don't write themselves down. And there's plenty of folk who be needing new clothing. You yourself included,” he muttered to himself as he pulled his chair closer to the desk and began going through the paperwork.

7th of Obsidian, 357

It's wonderful to be out exploring the wilds, Ova thought somewhat sarcastically as he walked through the blizzard towards the trade depot pavilion. The snow storm had been raging for nearly a week now and it was starting to get quite annoying. Normally at this time of the year all of Waterlures would be huddled in the warmth of the Fruit of Letters, but not this year, no.

No, they were still hard at work, for the leaders had decided that the walls must be finished before spring. There was not much to be done anymore: only the roofs and towers of the east wall. It was unlikely they'd finish it though, but certainly by spring's end everything would be complete.

Bored, uneasy and displeased, Ova continued his way until he heard something: a deep, deep bellow from the western hilltops.

He turned his gaze in that direction, squinted his eyes as the snow lashed at his face. Through the blizzard he could swear he saw something moving. Something big. No. Something gigantic.

He gasped in horror.

A giant humanoid monster from the legends: a cyclops!

“Run Såkzul, run! There's a monster incoming!”, the mandrill man yelled to the bookkeeper at the pavilion. Confused and not understanding what the commotion was about, Såkzul dropped what she was doing and began scampering along the bridge towards the library.

The single eyed monstrosity lumbered down the slope with long strides. It was heading for the sheep pen, not the South Gate like Ova expected. That was not good. For next to the sheep pen was the West Gate and the Pen Gate.

There would be no time to close them.

The sheep were panicking. The pen doors were locked, but they would not hold very long. A monster of such a size could take them easily down -- and the fences would certainly not withstand its assault.

And indeed, that was where the cyclops headed: tasty fresh mutton was in her mind.

This was Zebna Brightpowers the Oaken Lanterns, one of the first of her kind. She was hardly known in the Fence of Amusement or other southern kingdoms, but in the north she was known and feared. For she had gone on many a rampage during the centuries, killing countless with none being able to put an end to her barbarous cruelty.

Shouting and screaming could be heard all around Waterlures as the Fenced Princes and Turquoise Veils with the aid of the monks of the Armored Cult tried to order panicking civilians inside.

The plump helmet man 'Avo' had unslung his trusty warhammer and was headed to the South Gate, still unaware that the monster was at the pen.

Cañar and 'Zultan' were waiting at the West Gate, listening to the cyclops' roaring, the cracking and thrashing of wood as the monster pummeled the pen doors with panicked bleating and mewling adding to the cacophony.

“We can't linger any longer! You ready?”, Cañar yelled through the wailing snow storm to 'Zultan' who was right next to him.

“I'm ready as can be! We must have faith in each other!”, 'Zultan' replied, gripping his steel mace of superior quality firmly. He took a deep breath. This might be it. I might not make it out alive, he thought in his pessimistic manner. Or maybe it was just that his stomach was still very full after that wonderful meal?

“If I don't make it, at least I'll die with my belly full!”, he barked out, readying himself for battle.

The two charged out the gates with 'Zultan' leading the way.

Edu, spear in hand, came running from behind yelling, “I'm on my way! We'll get this one!”

In truth, Edu was not so sure about that. Their foe was enormous and looked like a mighty warrior.

The battle begun with dodging blows from both sides until 'Zultan' managed to bash the gigantic creature in her left foot.

The blow merely annoyed the brute and she charged at the capybara maceman, but fortunately the chubby rodent managed to jump out of the way and not be squashed under the monster's mighty feet.

The to and fro between 'Zultan' and the cyclops was cut short when Cañar landed a devastating blow in the neck of the cyclops. The towering humanoid came crashing down as something broke in its upper spine.

From there on the battle was one-sided.

Zebna's breathing was wheezy -- as if she had difficulties to fill her lungs with enough air  -- and she lashed desperately at her assailants. They dodged the blows easily, each time giving her a good whack with either a hammer or a mace.

Edu hadn't even reached striking distance when the victor seemed clear.

The battle was soon over as the helpless cyclops was battered and punctured with fist, mace, spear, tooth and finally, Cañar's signature move: a skull-crushing hammering to the head.

Their foe vanquished, its blood coloring the fresh snow a deep crimson, the Fenced Princes headed back within the walls to inform the civilians that all was well, the threat was ended.

Cañar was feeling good. Not because of the death of the cyclops. No, it was because he was somewhat drunk at the moment. And not drunk of the thrill of combat, but due to inebriation. It somewhat disturbed him, for he took no pleasure in killing the one-eyed giant, though he didn't feel any remorse about it either. It had to be done to prevent further bloodshed.

Yet, it still made him sad. He wanted to avoid combat and all the excitement and such. The killing. All the deaths. The unnecessary, avoidable deaths. If only there were some way -- there had to be a way -- to bring peace to this world. What each being could learn from each other if they only came together to exchange their experiences, their skills, their desires. That cyclops. She was certainly many a century old. How things would be different if she and the other civilized beings could co-exist peacefully. Maybe even live together.

One day... One day there will be peace, the elephant man thought, stroking the scar on his trunk as he walked towards the Fruit of Letters. Maybe not in my lifetime, but I swear. I swear I will do my best to work towards it. I just have to figure out how.

=====

A bit of excitement there, so actually had something to report about.

Didn't really think the cyclops will pose much of a threat after seeing how quickly the weregecko was put down. Also, seems like the animal pen with the wall grates and doors is quite a building destroyer attracter.

The wall is almost complete. Might have finished it today without the cyclops distracting things, but...yeah.

I'm not sure if I'll get much game time tomorrow, so there won't necessarily be any update. Should be done within a couple of days.

(Then I'll do some other stuff for a few days. I really, really should.)

...Oh, almost forgot: I added the new (low value) dyes to several plants I mentioned earlier. Messed up the already existing seeds a bit (got "need seeds" spam though there were seeds, so I guess it didn't recognize them anymore -- and no, they weren't TSK:d or in barrels), but after getting rid of those there's been no problems.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2022, 06:26:04 pm »

Part XII:
The Final Piece

It was spring.

The elves from Múya Loré arrived in the later half of Granite. It appeared Yawo was wrong when she implied they wouldn't come.

The capybaras hurried from their work on the wall to haul merchandise to the pavilion, doing their best to keep anything wooden away so that the elves wouldn't be offended once again.

Kasat was already at the depot, waiting to greet the elves in an overtly polite manner. She wanted to make certain that this year everything went well during their dealings with the forest-dwellers.

I've been alright. Things are well, everything is fine, she thought as she saw the elves enter through the South Gate with their pack animals -- a donkey and a giraffe.

“Welcome, welcome! It is so good to see you back here in Waterlures!”, she said to the arriving merchans with a wide on her face, eager to do business with them.

Zon was busy at work at his tailor's table. Around him was a group of children playing with toys and generally being slightly annoying with all their questions about what the clothier was doing. It didn't affect the outcome of his work, though. He had just finished a pair of pig tail trousers, which he was very proud of.

“Now this is what I call a masterpiece!”, he smiled satisfied as he raised the trousers so that the kids could see to. “One day you too will be at work, creating masterworks like ol' Zon here,” he addressed 'Lil' Baron' Oddom, the nine year old son of Kasat.

Oddom looked at the trousers, eyed them with what he expected a professional gaze look like and replied in a child's serious voice, “One must always take care to choose the correct way to do things.”

Oddom didn't really know what he meant with it, but in his mind it sounded like a very wise thing to say in a situation like this. But what he knew was that someday he too would like to very much create something as pretty as what Zon could make.

14th of Malachite, 358

There. That's the final piece. The last tower is complete. The walls are complete, the plump helmet man 'Avo' thought as he examined his work. It had taken longer than anticipated, but not that long: summer was halfway through. A couple of rather boring years were finally behind. Now there would be time to concentrate on other things. On more interesting things. 'Avo' yearned to craft something. Maybe do some smithing. Perhaps he could make portcullises for the gates for some additional protection? It wasn't necessary, nor planned, but surely none would mind it? He surely didn't trust entirely that the current gates would hold: only some measly wooden drawbridges and sturdy double doors. His work would certainly be more reliable.

Yes. That is what he would do. Forge iron portcullises.

After he had taken some time off, of course.

Autumn was just around the corner and things were a bit more relaxed in Waterlures. Everyone finally had time to do some other things than work on the walls, whether it was crafting, praying, socializing or, in case of children, playing (though, the participation of children in construction work was debatable).

Kib was in the main hall of the Fruit of Letters with Rin and Unib Hammerwhipped -- Vabôk preferring his own company on the porch reserved for those who like fresh air with their drinks.

Unib seems like a decent dwarf. I think I could consider him a friend now, Kib thought, feeling rather fond of the Mestthosite monk. He could use a few of my meals, though, she pondered looking at the skinny frame of him, Barely any fat on those bones! I should ask him what's his favorite dish and cook him a special roast!

Cusal was at the Chapel of Duty, the shrine dedicated to Ôsed, meditating on the day, deep in prayer. Logem, son of Såkzul and Zuglar, was there too, worshipping the Rabbit in the Sky. The cool breeze blowing from the lake entailed the coming of autumn.

Finally Cusal had the time to commune with his favored deity. He'd been quite frustrated with how little time there was to attend to matters of higher importance during the building of the walls. Now that the work had concluded, there was time. Much more time. Time to spend in prayer and to praise the one whose children they all were.

Tekkud was standing about in the House of Knowledge, not paying much attention to the others who were there reading. He was deep in thought and very enthusiastic. For he felt he was close to achieving a greater understanding of how parts form the whole. It was thrilling! Once he'd manage to assemble his thoughts into a presentable form, he just so might have to write a book about it. It was a ways off still, but he was getting closer. If his theories and conclusions proved to be correct -- and why wouldn't they? -- perhaps he might be regarded as one of the great philosophers of his time.

Urist Staffsquares was feeling proud. He was walking his tail up high, its tip turned at an angle. He was a great hunter. He had just killed a vicious being that was threatening his family.

Now, where was that silly child? The one who was referred to as Cusal. Urist would bring him the hamster and show what a proper meal was. That silly overgrown baby didn't even know how to catch food! Urist would have to teach it to him one day.

Oh, the burden of looking after of those who cannot take care of themselves... But it was Urist's duty to do so, and he would do it properly... As long as he got a good scritching.

But not the belly. The belly was off limits (though it sure did feel good!).

And now for what you all have been waiting for...

...the Great Reveal of the Walls of Waterlures!

(click to enlarge)

=====

Managed to get some game time today after all.

Just enough to finish the walls.

There's still stuff to be done before I end me turn:

On the north hill there's an unfinished guard tower and just south of the statue garden I'm building a new hut for some...err, capybara "pairing".

There's also a couple of unfinished buildings on the lake (which are a bit behind other buildings in the Stonesense screenshot).

Also, the quartzite block road (or actually floor -- I prefer those over paved roads for multiple reasons) is unfinished, but its completion is a ways off. Getting the stone requires ordering from caravans, though I did add 20 boulders during one caravan to get the parts within the walls completed (and gave a ridiculous profit for the merchants to "compensate" for the cheating). I might do that again, limiting it to 10-20 boulders per caravan.

Then there's plans for temples to Ôsed and Messthos. One will be outside the walls of the village and will have a cemetery built next to it (gotta prepare for those dreaded "spring has arrived somebody was found dead" messages when capyfolk get too old...which is going to be something that's going to happen soon).

Not sure if I'll start a couple of days to a week break tomorrow or after I finish at least some of the listed stuff. (Got a modding itch going on, so I'll probably anyway end up spending still way too much of spare time with DF.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 24, 2022, 04:19:12 am »

That's a fancy wall you've built there.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 24, 2022, 02:54:20 pm »

Honestly, it feels like the end to a chapter. GLORIOUS! and well-documented, to boot

Tekkud was standing about in the House of Knowledge, not paying much attention to the others who were there reading. He was deep in thought and very enthusiastic. For he felt he was close to achieving a greater understanding of how parts form the whole. It was thrilling! Once he'd manage to assemble his thoughts into a presentable form, he just so might have to write a book about it. It was a ways off still, but he was getting closer. If his theories and conclusions proved to be correct -- and why wouldn't they? -- perhaps he might be regarded as one of the great philosophers of his time.

and his conclusion? his master thesis?

water is wet, wood is good, and capybaras are the chosen people

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 24, 2022, 05:33:37 pm »

Part XIII:
The Color Emerald Made Him Happy

From the journal of Kumil Goldenclashed, Militia Warden
17th Limestone, 358

“A pack of giant coyotes was stalking the nearby forests. We haven't seen them around before.

A caravan from the dwarf lands was just arriving when we heard the shouts and barking. The coyotes tried to ambush them, but the caravan guards managed to chase many off and kill several. It took me some time to assemble the Fenced Princes for a coyote hunt. Took too long, in fact.

The coyotes managed to separate one merchant away from the main group. He fled to the west of the walls. Being chased by the hungry beasts. Edu was the first to arrive at the scene. The merchant was already dead at that point on the western slope. I believe Såkzul was the name. We dubbed the coyote Avuzfikod, 'Mineglazes'. Edu came up with the name. Thought it was a fitting one, since it all happened at the back entry of the mines.

Kasat will not be pleased with this. I'm not pleased. We should have been ready. Fortunately none of ours got hurt, though Edu was pushed down the ravine by one coyote. He wasn't hurt other than a bruise or two maybe. The merchants though... They left before any trade happened.

I'll have to think how I explain this best to the mayor and outpost liaison.”

Winter was approaching as the leaves fell from the oaks and plum trees.

Work had been toned done quite a bit since the walls were completed, but no longer period of rest had happened as of yet. That was about to change once winter arrived: the Winter Festivities would be held this year.

Preparations for the Winter Festivities were on their way. Soon it would be time to come together with friend and family.

Suwu and Ova had just come from the Fruit of Letters after downing several mugs of dwarven wine. It felt like a good idea to do some archery training while feeling a bit tipsy, or perhaps drunk. One must, after all, be prepared to act even while inebriated, they had surmised.

“That was a good performance. I liked the poem. It was very interesting,” Suwu said to Ova as she aimed at the target. “The Sun Sets on Speck, I think was the name of it. What'd you think?”, she asked the mandrill man who just released an arrow, narrowly missing the target.

“Didn't really pay attention to it. I was too deep in my mug, I guess. But damn, do I feel so good after it!”, he replied pulling another arrow from his jute quiver.

“Say, Ova... You're from the elf lands from the north, aren't you? Like Yawo,” the capybara woman said cautiosly. She was unsure how to present a thought that had lingered in her mind to Ova.

“Yes. From there I am. Birthed under a blossoming cherry tree,” he smiled a genuine smile, thinking of the beautiful abundant greenery of Múya Loré. “Or so I've been told. But I do like the sound of it. Why do you ask?”

“Well... Are unicorns common there? In the...'forest retreats' -- or whatever you call them,” Suwu said slowly nudging her head towards the village square where you could see the spiral horned creature grazing.

“Huh? I-”, Ova was confused and stumbling in his words, “I-I don't know... Not where I lived... But... Maybe? Why?”

“Oh, nothing special really. Just wondering why the elves have brought only one unicorn during all these decades... And the 'baroness' seemed mighty disappointed that they brought none this year,” Suwu explained.

The truth was, Suwu was wondering how difficult it would be to... To 'acquire' a unicorn. To go to one of the elven settlements, sneak in the night and 'borrow' one of the majestic creatures. Kasat was very soon sixty years old and Suwu was thinking that an extraordinary gift would be in order.

“Well, maybe they'll bring one next year?”, the mandrill man replied, trying to focus on firing arrows.

It wasn't easy while drunk.

As winter arrived and the air got cold, work was halted.

Everyone headed to the Fruit of Letters for the Winter Festivities of the year 358. It didn't differ much from the previous ones: lots of chatting, catching up with friends, ruminating on the last couple years, listening to poetry and getting stupid drunk.

And as per usual, some preferred to go to the dormitory to spend their time, whether it be just relaxing on one of the beds or praying to the gods.

But Winter Festivities didn't go without incident...

Vabôk Bronzepost, the leader of the monks of the Armored Cult, was admiring a sheep bone figurine on display. It was one made by 'Zultan', and was an exceptionally designed statuette of a human who was surrounded by giant peach-faced lovebirds. One could see from it that the human was in the process of subduing the large avians, and one well-versed in history would know that it depicted the human Copnut Scorchbarb who was the first (or, so it is said) to tame the creatures.

It was a pleasing sight. And Vabôk would have certainly enjoyed it much longer, had he not felt a cold shiver and chill creep up his spine.

He looked around, but there were only children playing, Logem sleeping and Kumil pondering something. Something was wrong.

Then another chill -- his beard hair felt like it stood up.

Nothing to be seen. Vabôk felt uneasy, looking around nervously. He swore he could hear whispers.

“Huh? W-What was that?”, Kumil said aloud with a rather confused face as he turned to look towards the backdoor of the dormitory.

He gasped.

Vabôk saw it too: a ghostly apparition, a barely visible specter that looked much like the dwarf merchant who had been slain by the wild giant coyotes!

Vabôk ran down the stairs, screaming like a child, “AAAAA! A ghost! A haunt! This is truly horrifying!”

But the ghost followed.

It moved through the floor boarding with ease, arriving in the main hall of the Fruit of Letters through the ceiling, descending next to Datan who was feeling a bit miserable after getting into an argument.

The others didn't see the ghost, but Datan and Vabôk did.

Datan went pale. He was horrified.

He pointed at the incorporeal form hovering in front of him. “G-g-g-g-ghost!”, was all he could say.

The rising of the ghost cut the Winter Festivities short. Or at least for the time being.

'Avo' dragged a slab of phyllite from the stores to a crafter's shop. He was the one to be tasked to engrave a memorial for the dead merchant. A grave had already been dug, a wooden casket made and a statue commemorating the merchant was just completed.

Sometimes I just don't like someone, the plump helmet man thought as he set the slab on the counter, searching for a chisel and mallet. He had no particular person in mind with the thought, but it was mainly directed at the ghost. It was a bit annoying that they had to stop the festivities because of the specter haunting the dwarves. Yes, dwarves. It seemed that the ghost of Såkzul Tradedheroes was only interested in the bearded ones. Not the others.

And it was silly of Vabôk and Datan to be so horrified by it. The ghost didn't cause any problems. It just... Was. Floating. Eerily, certainly. But other than that, and the occasional chill, it was harmless.

Next the dwarves will surely complain about where the merchant is buried, 'Avo' thought, carefully engraving a memorial text on the slab. For the dwarf would be buried not deep underground in a stone coffin like is dwarven custom, but in a wooden casket in the soil, close to the surface -- something what other cultures did to their dead. Such a manner of burial was customary here in Waterlures, too.

'Zultan' was the one to get the questionable honor of burying the merchant. He walked up the slope towards the small burial grounds under the shade of old plum trees. He avoided the bees from Datan's beehives and placed the cold bones of the dwarf in the burial receptable.

There. That should do the trick, 'Zultan' wiped his hands on his trousers. Maybe we can now continue with the festivities. I want to spend time with family, not the dead.

Under a young plum tree was a statue made of petrified wood. It depicted a smiling dwarf, happiness gleaming in his eyes. He was surrounded by cheese.

In front of the statue was a well-crafted phyllite slab with engravings. It read:

“In memory of Såkzul Nishobur / Born 289 / Bled to death, slain by the giant coyote Mineglazes in the year 358 / The color emerald made him happy.”

=====

Continued a bit of construction work, but mainly focused on getting downtime for the capies. They're still very much happy or content, though, I began noticing that many were getting distracted after the 2+ years of wall building with not much crafting & relaxation time.

Honestly, it feels like the end to a chapter. GLORIOUS! and well-documented, to boot

Thanks! I also feel like that was a chapter, but still continued today, hah. Maybe I'll restructure the arrangement of posts under chapters or something (at some point). Feels like there's been a couple of chapters before this.

In any case, the capies (and other 'animal persons') are actually getting real old. Several are over 60 already (like, 'Avo' and 'Bob' the wombat). I know I've mentioned their aging more than once, but... I feel like something special would be needed for them (or at least some) before they die of old age. Like for instance, I'm thinking of sending Suwu on a unicorn hunt (like I hinted above), which could be either by raid or adventure.

But there's others too who might have some other ambitions than simple life in Waterlures before they die in their beds old and gray.

So, mainly the question is now: who are some of the starting/early characters that you think deserve some special attention? Or if there's something you think they should do, I'm up for all kinds of ideas.

And I am thinking of using Adventure Mode for this despite the tedious cleanup. I think the aging of our main characters are a good reason to go through the hassle.

Also, if any of you feel like you'd like, you can also do the Adventurer parts instead of me (as long as you follow the characters' personality descriptions, don't murder everything and act like the typical rpg main jerk dick protagonist).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 25, 2022, 02:57:01 am »

An elderly adventure to steal unicorns sounds fun.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 25, 2022, 05:27:53 pm »

Honestly love reading this thread and hearing about the day to day lives of these Capybara's they have come a long way from their humble village. I would be down to take the save for a year in the future.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 25, 2022, 05:59:45 pm »

Had a break from the game today and tried to work on a modding project (with very little progress), so no report about the capies.

I'll probably continue playing tomorrow, unless I get a fey mood to work on my mod (today was a crappy day). In any case, this week I'll try to get to a point where I can pass the save for one of you. (That'll at least force me to have time off from the capies, haha.)

An elderly adventure to steal unicorns sounds fun.

Yeah, I'm just not sure how likely it'll be to find any tame unicorns in a forest retreat (not much experience in those places). It might also be the death of Suwu if I go for it (though, she is a legendary archer by now, I think). Most of the world is covered in savage regions, iirc.

Honestly love reading this thread and hearing about the day to day lives of these Capybara's they have come a long way from their humble village.

Thanks, I'm not much of a writer, but I do enjoy looking at a random capy going about their daily business and writing about it. Quite often if I check a random capy's thoughts & personalities and/or who is next to them, there's enough material to work on a simple scene. (Also, helps keep things way more interesting than just the regular digging/building/etc. stuff in the game.)

I would be down to take the save for a year in the future.

Certainly. Do you know when would be a good time for your turn? I'd like to keep things running without longer breaks, so I'll end my megaturn a bit before the next one goes.

I think @Salmeuk also asked for a turn? (Haven't updated the first post for a while.)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 25, 2022, 06:06:19 pm »

Yeah after this weekend, i have time to take up a mega turn or do a few years next weekend.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 26, 2022, 03:49:57 am »

I'm not much of a writer,
Your selling yourself short you're better than you think.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2022, 06:20:57 pm »

Part XIV:
Growing

Spring was in its last third. Many of the children were gathered in the warehouse attic above the Fruit of Letters to play and do other child things.

Ònul Strickenrelics, the three year old daughter of the bookkeeper and manager, had just put down a mini-forge. She had very much enjoyed playing with it and it had inspired her to recite a poem, 'The Sun Sets on Speck' -- something she had learned from the grown-ups.

Inod, Atír and Lil' Baron Oddom were listening intently to her. They were all older than Ònul, but it didn't stop them from enjoying the performance. In fact, they were very pleased while listening: the little girl had some promise (if someone were to ask them).

With summer the human merchants from the Just Union arrived like they usually did.

And once again work was halted. The capybaras scurried to fetch goods from the warehouse for trade: masterful bone crafts and old clothing, which the fripperers among the merchants were more than eager to get their hands on.

Kasat was in her office (which used to be the baronial throne room) eating sausages made from sheep intestines filled with grizzly bear tallow -- it is for a reason why she was so corpulent.

She was slightly annoyed that Upnal arrived just as she was headed to the dining room. A dining room is no place to do business, so she went with the guild representative to her office where she conducted the meeting while munching a sausage.

“My apologies madame Waxedtiles for arriving during your meal,” Upnal said with a slightly akward look on his face as he watched the capybara take a large bite from the greasy sausage. He continued, “But I would very much like to get our dealings ready as soon as possible. There's still a lot I have to attend to at the caravan -- we have unexperienced merchants and such who need my guidance.”

“Yes, yes, --munch, munch-- no need to --munch-- apologize. Let us get this over wit- --BUUURP!--,” Kasat unexpectedly let out a long, deep belch, which embarrassed her. ”Oh, pardon me. That was highly inappropriate of me...”, she flushed when she noticed the human's short moustache twitch as he wrinkled his nose.

On the 24th of Hematite Såkzul gave birth.

Despite her respectable age of sixty-five the bookkeeper was more than capable of bringing forth new life to the Enchanted Dimensions. The little girl was her eighth child. Quite the amount of offspring she and Zuglar had.

They named the girl Reg Musclehame, for even at such a young age she proved to be one resilient and durable capybara, albeit maybe a bit on the clumsier side.

Autumn arrived. Yawo and Fayoba were picking up fallen fruit under a plum tree, its leaves giving some protection from the rain.

“Bah, this is not how I imagined to spend my elder years,” Yawo grumbled to the elf who had a smile on his face. “It's dreadfully boring. Frustrating. I want some excitement. I need some excitement,” the mandrill woman continued, throwing a rotten plum away. It narrowly missed Fayoba's face.

“Be happy it is this way. Be happy we are safe here. Be happy that this tree is still standing, offering us its bounty,” Fayoba said, swiping a lock of his long red hair to the side. “You should appreciate that as a worshipper of Icemì.”

“Happy? Happy for what? For all the trees that have fallen to make us 'safe'? That 'safety' cost a thousand lives. Needless deaths. What good is that?”, Yawo snapped at the elf.

“Ah, but there you are wrong, my hairy friend,” Fayoba smirked, continuing, “They gave their life to protect us -- to protect the other children of Icemì. To protect from the wickedness that entered the world in a time before time.”

“You don't even believe in Icemì. Don't twist her nature. You forsake our ways. Chose to follow that rainbow 'god' of yours,” Yawo fumed, hurling another rotten plum towards the elf -- this time deliberately.

Fayoba dodged it. “That... Is not entirely true. I do believe in the existence of Icemì Apedives. But I see her differently,” the elf replied, still with a rather jovial tone and continued, “I she not quite like Ôsed? Stars, the sky, the weather, nature... All those things are what the Rabbit is. And all those same things are what Icemì is. Are they not the same?”

“NO. They are NOT,” Yawo replied casting an evil eye at Fayoba. She did not like the direction the discussion was going.

“Well, I'll just leave you to think on it, Yawo. My lap is full,” the elf answered gleefully, “I'll be leaving you now, and go... Fishing.”

The elf walked through the Temple Gate back into the safety of the walls. The magnificent, sturdy wooden walls of Waterlures.

It was still early autumn when Ilral gave birth to a girl: the third daughter of her's and Zultan. They now had seven children, the eldest being ten year old Atír.

Lòr Drinkbust, the eldest son of Kib and Edu, was playing in the storage room below Vabôk's Dyery.

Today was the 14th of Sandstone: a special day for Lòr. For it was not only his birthday, it was the day when he became twelve years old. And that meant that he would now be considered an adult. A grown-up. Like his parents and the other older ones. It meant that the life of a child was now behind him. It meant that, starting tomorrow, he would be working with the other adults.

He did not enjoy that thought.

For you see, he very much enjoyed playing. Make believe was something he truly cherished. He had once said to father that he hoped to play for all of his life. “Son, I too wish we could spend all our time in leisure, but that is not how the world operates. Someone has to catch the fish. Someone has to clean the fish, and then someone has to cook it. Hard work is a necessary part of life, whether we like it or not,” he had said solemnly.

Lòr did not want to agree with that, but he didn't argue with father.

“Well, tomorrow is tomorrow,” the young one said his thoughts aloud. But today is my birthday, and today I will play. The thought made him a bit more happier.

And indeed, he continued to play make believe for that day.

It was less than two weeks that autumn would give way for winter, when Kib gave birth: a baby girl and her seventh child.

One grows up, another is born, Kib thought, feeling blissful. “My, my, aren't you the adorable one,” she said to her child, scritching the baby's fur still wet from birth.

“I think I will call you Dodók,” she said, the baby looking at her in awe. “Your father better approve of it or else I'll half the amount of fat I put in his meals.”

The baby babbled in reply, waving her little paws uncontrollably.

Only a day later the family of the mayor grew when Kasat gave birth. A girl and her and Cusal's seventh child.

The old baronial quarters were desperately in need of new rooms.

Id Pucefloor, the naked mole dog man, was on the northern slope outside the walls. Work on a paved quartzite road had progressed quite some this year, and a wayside shrine had been built a bit east of Rin's mill.

The Sanctuary of Snarls, where Id was praying, was dedicated to Ôsed, while the Sanctum of Covering was to offer reverence to Mestthos -- something which pleased the monks of the Armored Cult.

Ôsed, Almighty Cottontail, please give me guidance. I am conflicted, Id prayed, keeping his head low in front of the marble statue of the goddess. Why do I do my duty when my heart and desires lie elsewhere? Why do I not feel that desire so strongly that it would forcee me to throw everything else to the side and pursue what I want?

Id had felt lonely for a long time. He did enjoy the company of the capybaras and others, but it was as if he was an outsider here. He was out of place. It was too long since the time he was surrounded by someone who he could call family. It was too long since he had been able to craft something he liked -- his duties kept him busy all the time. And it was too long since he had acquired something new for himself.

He wanted a change in his life. But he could not leave these people. It was his duty to protect and help them.

That is what Ïteb the Prophet had said.

=====

Got to winter of 359.

At first I thought there won't be much of a report, but guess I got something to write about after all. It's always the same: I think there's nothing going on that would warrant interest, but then either game does something to change that or you just so happen to stumble upon a scene that begs some attention (like the one with Yawo and Fayoba picking fruit -- noticed it completely by accident and there was some nice stuff in their thoughts).

But yeah, population is now 62 (or 63?), most of the folk are still content or super happy (more and more have joined the -99k stress group). Some characters are much older than I thought, so I think it's soon time to concentrate on some of their late life deeds.

Other than that? Not sure if I'll have a break tomorrow and continue the day after or the other way 'round. Depends on my mood mostly.

Oh, and about the upcoming turns.

How would you guys feel if you'd do Adventurer stuff instead of Fort mode?

There's a couple reasons why I'd rather want that:

1) I really want to keep the current architectural design and feel of Waterlures, and well, with multiple hands doing building projects that'd change. I've also pretty much got planned in my head stuff for most of the space on the map (assuming the village continues to grow).

Also, currently there's no need for new stuff, so gameplay would be just basically watching the capies go about their daily business and maybe occasionally doing some unautomated production stuff.

2) We're currently at the point where starting/early characters will start dying of old age. And I'd very much like to be holding the reins when that happens.

3) I think others doing the adventurer stuff (or some of it) could give another perspective to the characters and the world, and maybe bring in some unexpected twists. (Also, it'd be sort of a substitute for me to act as a Dungeon/Game Master -- it's way too long since last time.)

Thoughts?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 27, 2022, 05:11:52 pm »

I mean, that's fine with me, not sure I will have time for adventure turn in the next few weeks sadly. I left my mark on Waterlures when I had the chance.

now, this is just curiosity, but is there some way to mass-migrate all the capys and citizens to some other site, via your adventure mode shenanigans? or would it be far too annoying to accomplish? A mass exodus and relocation has always been one of my dream fail-states for a fortress. 

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 27, 2022, 06:30:25 pm »

Part XV:
The Inevitable

It was early Moonstone and once again work was toned down for the winter, though no grand festivities were to take place this year.

Some were at the Fruit of Letters drinking and catching up with their fellows. Rin was there, too. He had just finished reciting the poem 'Angry Critters' to show the others that he can do better than the previous performer, Cusal (whose show had very much been embarrassing). It delighted Suwu, Ilral and Likot. Ubbul had shown some interest in the recital, but honestly he was more interested in the dwarven wine he had in his mug. And Zuglar... Well, he was, quite frankly, bored by the goblin's poem.

Out of the main hall, on the porch was Vabôk, Cusal, Fayoba and Ova discussing Cusal's choice of poem 'Trumpets: The Wind Will Tell'. It had been an interesting take on it and no manner of Rin's dismissal of it could change that fact -- the goblin obviously didn't have a refined enough taste.

Those who wished to indulge themselves in written word instead of wine were at the library. Some, like Tekkud (who was still working on his theories about wholes and parts), were in the main floor, while most were downstairs in one of the studies where sounds didn't echo as much.

The Hut of Romancing, too, attracted its share of visitors, though much less than the other places.

Kumil and Cañar were there telling stories of historical events and pondering how they had affected the way things are in the current day. However, Cañar was not so interested in the kings of the past and how they rose to power, like the tale of Edëm Dyedagger who purportedly was the first king of the Fence of Amusement.

And of course some were deep in prayer, frequenting one of the many shrines scattered around Waterlures.

From the journal of Suwu Cleanmusics, Archer Captain
Obsidian 16th, 359

“I ran into surprisingly into a human today. I was the first to greet him as he stepped in through the East Gate. Quite the sight, he was decked in bronze and copper mail, with a long sword at his side and a shield on his back. Certainly a warrior, I thought. And I was right. He introduced himself as Thimeth Prairiescour, a traveling beast hunter. He'd come here in search of beasts to slay and possibly relax.

Well, I had to tell him that we don't generally accept visitors here, barring merchants. But I also said it probably wouldn't be any harm if he was around. And as long as he doesn't cause any trouble, I'm fine with it.

Didn't ask the opinion of those in charge, though. But I doubt they'd said anything different.”

It was a cold morning that day, on the 4th of Granite 360. Winter hadn't fully given way for spring and it was still snowing outside.

'Zultan' was wondering what was taking Ilral, his wife, so long to get up this morning. She normally was already heading to the spinnery to shear sheep and spin wool. But her trusty distaff and spindle were still on the table. Now what's taking that woman so long? It's usually her who has to do the waking, but I guess it's my turn now, he thought as he headed to the bedroom door.

He opened the door and there Ilral was, still lying in the bed.

“Iiil-ral, ho-neeey... It's late already. Time to wakey-wakey,” he said with the most honeyed voice he could muster.

Ilral didn't respond.

“Sweety. Get up. It's a fine day. You don't want to spend it sleeping,” 'Zultan' tried again. To no avail.

“Ilral? Come on now... Don't play games with me,” he said, furrowing his brow worriedly. But there was no answer.

A horrid thought crept into his mind. He swallowed and walked slowly to the bed.

Ilral wasn't moving. She wasn't breathing.

Old age had finally got to the capybara woman.

Ilral was dead.

Young Lòr Drinkbusts was on mining duty. He had been tasked to grab the pick and dig the beginning of catacombs that would serve as the final resting place for the elderly. The old burial grounds within the walls were deemed too small, and with Ilral's death at the age of sixty-four, many were expecting their time soon to come.

Lòr was surprised how satisfying the digging was. Datan had earlier shown him some tips and tricks at the old mines, where they had dug some short exploratory tunnels (they found nothing). It felt good to do something useful, something that would last for generations. He was, of course, a bit sad about Ilral's death, though he only occasionally had exchanged words with her. Mostly he was sad because he knew that one day father and mother would too pass away from this world.

And he didn't like that thought. It made him nervous. He didn't want to lose family.

Datan was at the new shrine to Ôsed -- considered part of the Sanctuary of Snarls wayside shrine -- in the entry to the catacombs. On the opposite side was the Shrine of Steel, dedicated to Abod the Prince of Duty: the goddess of death, war and chaos. A grim god in the pantheon of Ustuth Ïdath, and one that gave Datan the shivers. He did acknowledge Abod and paid his respects to her. Not out of reverence, but out of fear and to keep her at bay.

He was meditating on the stars, which were said to be where the souls faithful to the Rabbit went after they had fallen under the ravaging flail of Abod. Each death lit a new star, a star to bring hope to the living -- for one day, they too, would join them and shine brightly in the night sky.

Yet, it was told that sometimes the reach of Abod extended all the way up into the domain of Ôsed. And when the Rabbit wasn't watching, the Prince of Duty plucked souls and cast them into the fires and chaos of the Underworld to feed its demonic inhabitants.

Datan shivered at the thought.

All this talk of death and Ilral's passing brought old memories to his mind. He still wondered what had become of his nephew Solon who had been abducted from Lettertick by a goblin so many years ago. Was Solon Bustaxes still alive? Or dead? With Ôsed? Or had the Prince of Duty stolen the poor soul?

“I must not give in to sadness,” Datan muttered to himself. He looked up at the marble statue depicting Ôsed, looked deep into her eyes, “Please, I beg you, do not let the Abod the Prince of Duty, the Harbinger of Chaos, lay her hands on Solon or any of your faithful children.”

Spring had given way to summer and the humans from the Just Union had arrived with their caravan full of goods. The capybaras were busy hauling merchandise to the trade pavilion.

Suddenly loud crashing could be heard from outside the walls of the village.

The Fenced Princes, who were sparring, heard it too.

“What was that?”, 'Zultan' said, turning his ears towards the sound. It sounded awfully familiar. Something that they had heard a couple years back.

The others stopped the sparring to listen.

A deep, loud bellowing roar.

It could mean only one thing.

Out from the forests of the Laconic Prairies came a hulking one-eyed monstrosity. She lumbered down the slopes towards the walls of Waterlures, crushing an unfortunate rabbit that happened to be in its way.

But the cyclops would not get a chance to get to the village: the Fenced Princes, knowing what they were facing, rushed out immediately. They were all prepared for battle, already sweaty from all the sparring.

Edu was the first to the scene -- no doubt due to his incredible running speed -- spear ready to strike. The cyclops swung her fist at the armored rodent, but Edu was too nimble and avoided the blow easily, only to thrust his spear into the hand deeply.

Kumil followed suit and slashed the giant brute with his sword first in the stomach, then in the thigh. It was enough to make the cyclops fall over.

However, things didn't go as smoothly as with the previous cyclops: she managed to take hold of Edu's leg and ripped the paw off, blood splurting in an arc onto the grass.

Yet, it did not stop Edu who saw only red at this point, veins pulsing in his temples. He hadn't lost his momentum and stabbed with his spear. This time he struck the monster deeply, the spear sinking all the way and hitting the lower spine.

He pulled the spear out from the wound.

The cyclops had no hope against her assaillants who brutalised her as she thrashed on the ground, desperately trying to get another lucky hit in.

Blow after blow landed on the cyclops, each pummeling and battering taking her closer to her death.

Cañar was still rushing in, hammer ready to deal the final blow.

But it was Edu this time who was the one to score a kill. After the cyclops had taken hits from Kumil's sword, Zultan's mace and Avo's hammer, he thrust his spear with all strength left in him into the monster's head. It tore deep: straight through the skull and into the brain.

The cyclops was dead.

Edu fell to the ground, exhausted and in pain. Now he finally felt the hopelessness and terror when he realised what had happened to him.

“Our time in the Enchanted Dimensions is so brief... I must keep going... My children...”, Edu rambled on the ground, spear still clutched firmly in hand.

He was feeling faint. Blood loss was kicking in.

The bookkeeper Såkzul carried Edu from the field towards Yawo's clinic. It was only a matter of time before he might succumb to his wounds.

She hurried down the road, passing the shrine dedicated to Icemì. Yawo wasn't their like she sometimes was.

“You'll be alright, you'll be alright. We're going to Yawo,” Såkzul said to Edu who was barely conscious. “She'll fix you. Then you'll be good as new.”

She dragged Edu up the stairs, put him on one of the beds of the infirmary and hastily scurried out to find Yawo.

Edu felt grateful as he lay on the bed. He was grateful for Såkzul to arrive to help. But he was also afraid. He was not sure if he would make it. Was this his end? He had to make it. He had to.

He felt his thoughts blur and things began to feel dreamy. He felt his consciousness slipping away.

Must. Stay. Awake.

He passed out.

=====

A bit of a cliffhanger there.

Didn't feel like continuing any longer today. Was sort of an "exhausting" game today in Waterlures. Funny how quickly you get attached to these little 'c' letters running around the screen.

Not at all sure if Edu will survive. He's bleeding heavily and Yawo is probably nowhere near. We'll see tomorrow or the day after what happens (if I dare open the game, that is).

A bit surprising that the cyclops got that a grievous wound in against a steel/bronze clad capy (or, it could be that Edu had "lost" his boot due to, well, you know, DF militia equipping stuff).

I mean, that's fine with me, not sure I will have time for adventure turn in the next few weeks sadly. I left my mark on Waterlures when I had the chance.

I'm still of course open for others to do fort stuff, too. I just have to learn to...(what's the word?) "Let go". So far I've been mostly satisfied and happy about the stuff you guys have done. Like the statue garden is excellent. Also, I love how the plump helmet man's forge area looks "alien" compared to other architecture in the fort.

If this'd been only a single player game, I doubt it would've gone for this long.

(But yeah, if others want to do fort stuff, we could always discuss what you plan to do. Most likely I'll be fine with it.)

now, this is just curiosity, but is there some way to mass-migrate all the capys and citizens to some other site, via your adventure mode shenanigans? or would it be far too annoying to accomplish? A mass exodus and relocation has always been one of my dream fail-states for a fortress. 

Sort of, yes. At least with those who are adventurers (but you could use unretire-anyone for those who aren't, though it's a hassle to do with more than a couple characters). Done this a couple of times (and keeping it as an option if things get messed up in Waterlures).

So, what you basically do is have one character live in the place where you want (either create the character to start there or retire them there), then you add all the ones you want to move to that place into his/her party, and when choosing the starting place choose the first character's starting location and press play.

Voilà! They all are now teleported to that place and you just need to retire them there.

(edit. Note: Using this method the party members will be considered companions of the "main" character. I'm not sure how it affects their relation forming, but if you take any of them on an adventure later, most/some of them might be in tagging along as party members and you'll have to tell them to wait or kick them from the party or sumthin.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 28, 2022, 04:38:24 am »

Well damn didn't seem like that long ago that they got married, also how old is my guy now?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 28, 2022, 07:14:32 am »

Well damn didn't seem like that long ago that they got married, also how old is my guy now?

It's not so long since they got married. We did the forced marriages quite late. There's also quite a lot of ingame time passed in a relatively short real life period.

Your guy is "only" fifty years old, so that's at least ten more years he's got. The max age is 60-80 with animal persons (I did increase it slightly, but our early characters were done before that, so it doesn't help them).
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 48