Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sabreriddles, the University of Dwarf.  (Read 4131 times)

Murrmakesstuff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sabreriddles, the University of Dwarf.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2022, 09:22:38 pm »

Honestly, I've been having a bit of a dwarf block, you can start now if you want. Probably not going to put much out soon lol   :\

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2022, 10:31:03 am »

Journal of Overseer Neblime 4 Granite

The good dwarves of the kings court have seen fit to appoint me as the overseer of the place known as "Sabreriddles".  A few years ago they had sent out a dwarf, goes by Murrmakesstuff with a mandate to raise the place into some kind of center of learning and natural philosophy.  After 3 years there was much concern at court over the lack of news from this enterprise, into which the king had invested some amount of wealth, and his good word.  So I was sent from my cozy post of managing the royal library
to this backwater.

My party arrived in early spring, and the previous overseer was nowhere to be found!  Only a few notes with a rudimentary map of the place, and a very rudimentary note on the geology of the place.
My grand arrival was not what I had expected.  A small entrance tunnel led into a cramped stairway
down to a network of quarters and workshops.

Well this will just not do!  If this is to be the center of knowledge for the whole kingdom
a certain degree of prestige and showmanship seems warranted!  So I have laid down plans
that this original entrance be the service entrance, where we can maintain the uneducated dwarves
necessary for the manual labor to run the place.

As for educated dwarves there doesn't seem to be a scholar among the locals as of yet. It seems that my task shall be to establish the foundations of this place, as the royal mandate to oversee this place was only given to me for a single year.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Patatozaur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2022, 04:58:01 am »

Hey neblime, can you dworf me with a migrant from the same migration wave as yours, and possibly making him a cook, I have a RP around that for my turn after yours.

Thx

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2022, 09:23:38 am »

Hey neblime, can you dworf me with a migrant from the same migration wave as yours, and possibly making him a cook, I have a RP around that for my turn after yours.

Thx
Sure
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2022, 08:43:49 am »

Journal of Overseer Neblime - 12 Galena

Much progress has been made, but there have been some pitfalls too.

Some Elven traders arrived to bother us in early spring.  There never was anyone so ignorant and in need of an
education as these wastrels.  They know not how to forge metal for themselves so they bring us wooden
trinkets and fruit to trade for the treausre of the earth.

Nonetheless I ordered some iron bars to be traded to them, maintaining good relations may be worth it in the long
run, as a source of food and supplies, as well as any interesting books of theirs we might like to study for purposes
of better understanding their culture.

It seems my predecessor had the forethought to produce a quantity of rock blocks for the necessary future construction.  It's a headstart
but we will need MUCH more.  I ordered the work to begin as we excavated the proper entrance.

The support promised by the mountainhomes arrived right on schedule, it was MEANT to be a party of 22 workers to assist me in my task
but someoen at the mountainhomes was seeking to cut labor costs alright.  Yes I got 22 dwarves.  But among them were 5 CHILDREN.  Something
tells me they won't be the biggest contributors to this place but I have to look after them all the same.
Whats more, my replacement for next year arrived.  How presumptuous of the mountainhomes to send them so early, as if I might break down or something!
Spoiler: Patatozaur (click to show/hide)

Work proceeded apace for a time, until the miner Deduk Ellestmeng was taken by a strange mood.  A well known but poorly understood
phenomenom, I hope that in future such things will be able to be investigated more thoroughly at Sabreriddled.  Unfortunately the poor
fellow was seized by a desire for silk cloth, and there was no silk to be found. I was NOT about to dig down to whatever dangers lie
in the caves to get some for him.  So we walled him into his workshop, lest he go berserk and harm others
Spoiler: Poor dwarf (click to show/hide)

Before I can think of setting up a library something that this fortress will need in great supply is paper.  pig tails can be turned into a sort of
paper but for our purposes various above ground plants might be more suitable.  The next task is to get production of kenaf and cotton underway.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2022, 10:18:44 pm »

Journal of Overseer Neblime 1 Granite 128
Is it really time already? So much to do, so much not even started, and yet my year is up.
I write this journal entry as patatozaur takes control of the place.

Since my last entry we had the promised supply caravan arrive, bearing the precious that could yet save
poor Deduk, but tragically we heard the screams as his mind broke permanently just as the caravan was
rolling into the depot.
Spoiler: So close (click to show/hide)
As I began discussing what these dwarves had brough for us the conversation took a strange turn.  At first
they hinted at what the mountainhomes suggest we should produce (which is a strange idea in of itself, we produce
knowledge here, not trade goods?)  then they just straight out told me that they expect some gratuity
in return for our RIGHTFULLY promised supplies.
Spoiler: Trade agreement (click to show/hide)
Corruption is everywhere it seems.  It is fortunate that this place is so rich in iron ore, so I acquiesced and
gave them a few of our finely crafted iron chains in exchange for some cloth and other such basic supplies.
It is a sad state of affairs but I suspect any future overseers will also have to grease the palms
of the supply caravaneers in similar fashion.

One of the children crafted themselves a cup which seems to capture the attention of the workers, it does seem to have a depiction of some mysterious book on it?

I had planned to farm the kenaf and cotton on the western slopes of the mountain, but once the farm was completed the farmers
told me that the plants would not grow there and they could not explain why. I can only hope that this centre of learning can investigate
the strange tendences of surface plants in the future.  Later a farm was built on the eastern slopes and so far has produced great results
Spoiler: The new main level (click to show/hide)

A great deal of excavation has been completed, but I consider it only just the beggining.
We have the entrance hall, and a sturdy drawbridge just in case some peril from the outside threatens us
The barracks with our small militia is positioned nearby, and no doubt the constructions above the gateway
could be converted to fortifications if a future overseer finds it necessary.

In the course of constructing the bridges and the screw presses for the papermaking I learned much about mechanisms and gears.  As such
I have designated what I hope is the first of many departments of this university; the engineering department. At each entrance
to the department mechanisms have been engraved, staking out it's borders.  There are also several offices and quarters for the members
of the department.  Naturally these quarters are NOT open to the general population of uneducated workers, only to skilled and educated engineers.
The first of which, of course is myself, no one else seems qualified at this time so I have named myself dean of engineering.

I imagine future overseers will setup many different departments, and I hope they can allocate some equally well educated dwarves to the other offices
it's getting a bit lonely in here...

Underground there is a small passage linking the service quarters with the university proper that can be sealed
as well.

Standing orders to maintain paper production without using up all the kenaf/cotton needed for thread to bind the books has proved difficult, so that's one problem i leave for future overseers.
Food and drink stocks should last at least 6 more months.  What else what else?  It's hard to let go of the reins after this year has flown by!
I only regret that I wasn't able to start on a libary, as a library will surely be the heart and soul of this place.

Good luck to my successor Patatosaur, I just hope they have the proper credentials...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 08:24:48 am by neblime »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2022, 10:46:45 pm »

Patatozaur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2022, 12:30:03 pm »

Journal of Chef Patatozaur 1 Granite 128
For whatever reason, overseer neblime came to me this morning and told me:
"alright, it's up to you to lead this place now, I've read the orders from the letter you gave me when you arrived last year. The crown asked for you to be the chief here for the good of the University".

So it looks like I'm being given the command of the university, to my biggest surprise.
There must have been a misunderstanding, as I was originally just asked by the king to improve dwarven culinary knowledge here in Sabreriddles and maybe put up a culinary cursus for the future student.

After a quick read of said letter, I undestood how it happened. Indeed, the letter mentionned me as the new "Chef of the University". The king is a great gourmet but maybe neblime didn't know that a Chef is just a master cook and assumed the king had miswrote "chief"

Therefore I'm charged of ruling this whole place and overseer neblime doesn't want to hear a word about it, saying that he doesn't want to go against the crown's orders despite my attempts to explain the misunderstanding.

Guess I'll have to make it works.

My first task as overseer was to check the state of stocks and infrastructure.

We have a decent amount of prepared meal and drink, but the variety of raw material is alarming, we have no meat, fish and only 5 units of cookable plants, those being some plump helmet grown underground, there is no way to make a correct culinary cursus with so little variety. My guess is that all of the raw materials we had have been brewed, indeed my guess was right as I find in the books the mention of hundreds of seeds.

I then check our livestock, I'd like to add some meat on the menu and maybe some eggs or cheese if possible. Here is a copy of a report I found in the books of Kivish Athelibesh the University bookkeeper:

We have a bit of everything but mostly pets. For some reason the weaponsmiths here love having multiple pets and wont let me butcher them. Looks like meat wont be on the menu before next supply caravane arrival.

As I was checking through the reports and entries in the stock books, some guy from the farmer guild asked for a guildhall. Approving this request might help me achieve my goals, as I'll definitely need the farmers to replenish our stocks and diversify our food materials for my cursus.
It's decided, the Tufted Hall (as they like to call themselves) will now have a section of the University where they will teach students about agriculture, botanical knowledge, and every other thing related to cattle.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 01:27:10 pm by Patatozaur »

Patatozaur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2022, 08:28:36 am »

Journal of Chef Patatozaur 20th of Slate 128

Last month, one of our engraver claimed a workshop, he stayed there 2 weeks after gathering some stuff around the place and when he finally left the workshop, he showed us a bracelet with two weird beasts, I wonder where he saw these things, but I wouldn't like to meet them myself.
Spoiler: Artifact (click to show/hide)

I fulfilled my promess made to the farmer students, they now have a nice classroom for all agricultural matters, I also asked the workforce here to dig out a room for underground crops study, and we prepared a spot outside for future botanical studies on above ground crops.

I convinced the farmers that studying birds and their laying of eggs. The real reasoning behind that is that I really need to cook something else than plants, I'm starting to get sick of it.

Speaking of being sick of cooking, I can't bear working in the service quarters anymore, I ordered our minner to dig a room, I'll have a proper University restaurant near the agriculture aisle of the university, on the main level. After all, we need some place for culinary students to improve their knowledge and moreover, we need a decent place to eat for the good of our students and searchers.
Spoiler: New agriculture aisle (click to show/hide)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2022, 09:37:14 pm »

Letter from Overseer Dean of engineering Neblime to Ovrseer Patatozaur 26th Slate 128

My Overseer,
I must say your insubordination in trying to refuse overseership of this place disappoints me , I don't care how the king chooses to spell "Chief", in the first place one does not question the king, and in the second place one never looks a gift Draltha in the mouth.

I was however pleased to hear of you setting out a new department of study, hopefully many more follow!

There is one concern that can't help but escape my notice though.
Have you recieved any official communication as to your successor at the end of the year?  Yes I know winter is some time away yet, but it does worry me...

In the event we receive no word, I am prepared to take this dreadful burden of duty off your hands and serve another year in 129, yes I know I am a selfless dwarf but I can't help it.
Your thoughts?

Patatozaur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2022, 05:10:29 am »

OFF RP:
I checked everywhere, we have no sand in this location, it bothers me as we can't make glass, which compromises a lot of things related to science and stuff.
Moreover I had a very good pun that needs us to produce a decent amount of green glass.
We do however have sandy loam.
Would you agree if I modded the game just to make sandy loam usable for sand ?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Letter from Chef Patatozaur to Should still be Overseer Neblime 27th Slate 128

Neblime,

We haven't yet received any news from the crown because I'm certain the crown didn't even want to change overseer for setting this University up and running, but since you won't listen to me, I'll do my year of overseeing this place and unless I get new orders from the King, I will let you relieve me of the role of leader.

I have another concern that might need your expertise in the engineering field, I noticed when we arrived that the location of our great University doesn't feature any running water stream, we just have murky pools, the students in botanic studies are worried by this fact. Indeed, if a drough would occur, all our above ground botanic experimentation projects might suffer from a lack of water. I also would like to get my hand on some fish, and with the security of the students and workforce in mind, I can't just let people going fishing in the open. I've seen in the mountainhome complexe mechanisms that drain water from deep below the surface. I'm sure such a project could be an interesting study matter for future years under your lead.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Journal of Chef Patatozaur 27th of Felsite 128

One of our wannabe hunters (yeah, I don't know why but there is a dozen of guys here that claim to have joined the University for beast and hunting related studies) reported to me that one of our botanic students to be badly injured outside of the university, poor guy must have been attacked by some wild creature while he was gathering some plant samples.
Spoiler: Injured guy (click to show/hide)

Poor guy has lost his right leg and has remained there for I don't know how much time. I asked everyone here if anyone had medical knowledge, turns out in this whole University, out of 100 dwarves, noone has any skill in medical field. I immediately designated 4 bedrooms in the service quarters to be used as medical studies room. I then interviewed people here to find good candidates for medical studies and practice. Turns out a lot of lads here don't even know what studies they'd like to pursue here and just came here to party.
Congrats to Medtob Nakiscog and Zasit Ammosus one the validation of your registration to Medicine 101
Melbil Tulonnefec and Shorast Keskalrithar, congrats on the validation of your registration to Surgery 101
Your first case is a botanic student missing a leg, good luck !
Melbil: "But... I have never done anything like that before, isn't someone there to teach us before we have to actually do live surgery, or training or anything like that ?"

Me: "It is practice makes perfect ! There isn't better training than doing it live right ? Anyway, it's not like medicine is rocket science right ?

Shorast: "What ? What's rocket ? And what if we kill him ?

Me: "You can't make an ommelet without breaking eggs ! And for the killing part, just don't kill him and we'll be alright ! Good luck and now, get of my kitchen, I have other matters to settle."

My wife Tobul Limulselor, an amazing and gorgeous dwarf woman, master in masonry then entered my kitchen and told me:
"Hey, since you are the overseer now, could you make a decent room for us? You know, I've been apointed to be president of the student council (mayor) and an office wouldn't harm"

To what I answered:
"You know about that new University Restaurant we're building currently ? We need tables and thrones, you know I love thrones, would you mind making me let's say, 50 thrones and a few tables ? Thrones are awesome ! Please ! if you make that for me, I'll arrange some rooms near the kitchen for us."

I love my wife, she makes the best thrones in the country, that's why I married her.

Anyway, I've noticed lately that near half of the students here are just freeloading and just hang out with their friends or party in the service quarters meeting room. When I ask them what cursus they registered in, most of them gave me a blank look. I can't tell how many times I've heard this exact phrase today:
"What's a University ?"
Damn, this year will be tedious...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 06:33:11 am by Patatozaur »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2022, 06:10:40 am »

OFF RP:
I checked everywhere, we have no sand in this location, it bothers me as we can't make glass, which compromises a lot of things related to science and stuff.
Moreover I had a very good pun that needs us to produce a decent amount of green glass.
We do however have sandy loam.
Would you agree if I modded the game just to make sandy loam usable for sand ?
I like it if we have some kind of contrived new method we discovered of making it into regular sand

Patatozaur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2022, 01:08:41 pm »

Sorry for the wait, I had a loaded week at work and couldn't play as much as I want, I already have some screenshot but havent had the time to write content.

Next update will be out very soon.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2022, 01:19:26 pm »

looking forward to it!

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2022, 11:52:59 pm »

keep on dwarfin' no rush
Pages: 1 [2] 3