Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too much information!  (Read 1030 times)

Thunderstick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Too much information!
« on: September 02, 2006, 04:43:00 pm »

Every time I fight with buddies in the Adventurer mode, they (and I) produce so much combat text that it's downright inconvenient for me to get a look at the map.

Is there a way to minimize or ignore the combat text while I'm fighting?

Somagu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too much information!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 04:58:00 pm »

If I don't feel like reading the slaughter I just quickly skim through it and search for "you" and "struck down" Hopefully not in the same sentance.

PvK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 05:15:00 pm »

I read it and then hit 'C' to center the map on myself, which clears the text too.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 07:11:00 pm »

1) [a]nnouncements will allow you to review all of the recent events in one condensed screen.  Pressing [space] on that screen will then return you to a completely clean screen, ready for your turn.

2) The DISPLAY_LENGTH setting in init.txt in your ./data/init folder controls the maximum number of lines that should be displayed on the screen.  I like to use a setting of 8.  Pressing the spacebar repeatedly allows you to quickly review everything while still seeing the majority of the screen.

3) You can also set the MORE setting (in the same file) to "NO" which will eliminate the messages entirely (although I haven't tested this myself).

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 07:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>1) [a]nnouncements will allow you to review all of the recent events in one condensed screen.  Pressing [space] on that screen will then return you to a completely clean screen, ready for your turn.</STRONG>

Actually pressing just space clears the text without passing time or anything.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Somagu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 03:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aristharus:
<STRONG>

Actually pressing just space clears the text without passing time or anything.</STRONG>

I didn't read him saying it DID pass time, point out where it looks like he did, please?