Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Colorblind Mode - Examples of Good and Bad Implementations  (Read 676 times)

Doctor_Paxmor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Colorblind Mode - Examples of Good and Bad Implementations
« on: August 04, 2022, 03:13:45 pm »

Hey, I just started playing recently and listened to Tarn and Zach talk with Blind about the possibility of adding Colorblind accessibility options - as a colorblind gamer, I have struggled with some very bad Colorblind Modes and wanted to give some insight.

The bottom line is: allow players to select colors themselves.

Every time a game tries to add Filters or broad color scheme solutions, they fail. Every colorblind person has a different sensitivity to different colors, even if we are of the same "type" (i.e. deuteranopia) and so, a filter for deuteranopia will be highly effective for one player and maybe not at all for another. On top of that, the Filters tend to skew all values, not just target the colors in the affected flavor of colorblindness that they are selecting for, which results in an unnatural image overall (like blue skin tones, etc).

Anyway, on to the examples.

Bad

Splitgate:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apex Legends:

Good

Halo Infinite:

And finally, Embarking is a struggle. I had to ask my girlfriend to locate my cursor here after scouring the screen for way too long:
edit: I had no idea I could change color settings already, but I still think this information may be useful.

If yall read this, thank you for your consideration. I really love the game and I'm excited for the Steam release <3

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 05:08:54 pm by Doctor_Paxmor »

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
Re: Colorblind Mode - Examples of Good and Bad Implementations
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 04:41:49 pm »

Doctor_Paxmor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Colorblind Mode - Examples of Good and Bad Implementations
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 05:05:15 pm »

I did not know that. Thank you.

This is what I was referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAB93hOcsPI&t=3274s

When I heard Tarn say, "the people that do this best to have like five different settings with the different names of the different types of color blindness and so forth..." I felt compelled to offer my insight.