Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To Kitfox: Dwarf Fortress is not 44% done, but 47%  (Read 1158 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
To Kitfox: Dwarf Fortress is not 44% done, but 47%
« on: July 23, 2022, 03:00:22 am »

As highlighted by Blind in his latest video, the Steam store page claims Dwarf Fortress is "only about 44% done" towards simulating all of existance. However, this number is presumably meant to be the same as the version number, which represents the percentage of progress towards DF 1.0. Currently the version number is 0.47.05, so it should be 47%.
And as the version number is bumped up, with the release of Premium and into the future, so should this percentage in the store description. :)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To Kitfox: Dwarf Fortress is not 44% done, but 47%
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 12:10:46 am »

But what about the Core, Reqs an Bloat list?
Consolidated development
0.47.05 is a 0 hundred cores, 47 cores complete an the 5th minor release.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 04:44:35 am »

Hmm, the wiki does claim the number is about the core goals, but I wonder if that is right; it also calls the way of numbering "recent", which is suspicious when it has been used since the early 3D days. This should probably be investigated more in depth, but my guess is Kitfox refers to this article which made rounds a few years ago:
https://www.pcgamer.com/dwarf-fortress-creator-on-how-hes-42-towards-simulating-existence/
The most recent release, .42.06, is very deliberately named, as I found out when I spoke to Adams for an hour a few days after his talk. The version number represents 42% completion towards a list of roughly 2,600 planned features or tasks for the final version.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 09:22:05 am »

Hmm, the wiki does claim the number is about the core goals, but I wonder if that is right; it also calls the way of numbering "recent", which is suspicious when it has been used since the early 3D days.

The "recent" remark refers to when Toady simplified the version number scheme to only include the number of core components and bugfixes, starting with version 0.31.01 - before that, version numbers also indicated the number of implemented Required components and Bloat components (from the above-mentioned "Consolidated development" page), which is why older releases had weird-looking version numbers like "0.28.181.40d".
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 09:23:45 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.