Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54

Author Topic: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Game Over - Et tu, Egan?  (Read 19290 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Game Over - Et tu, Egan?
« on: July 23, 2022, 03:39:26 am »

Hello there, mafia players. Maybe you're new, maybe you're not, maybe you're a veteran looking to refresh your skills. Either way, you're probably here because you're looking for a nice (relatively) sane mafia game that nonetheless has the appeal something like a Mountainous or classic setup lacks.

Well you've come to the right place - Bay 12 Mafia is all about the absurdity, but this game takes a gentler approach to it. So if you're new and want to give this a shot, step right in. If you're more experienced and want a relatively chill game compared to a more complete BYOR, you've come to the right place.

This game in particular is what we call a BYOR - or Bring Your Own Role. This means that before the game starts, when you sign up to play, you send in the name of your role, which I then use to decide what Abilities you will possess. Your role name has no bearing on your alignment (Town or Mafia), since alignments are assigned randomly.

You may select anything at all for your role so long as it does not violate the forum rules and guidelines. You could submit your favorite fictional character (Dave Strider, Superman, Rick and Morty) or an abstract concept (Time, Philosophy) or some bizarre amalgam (Twenty Kittens Riding A Scooter, Ronald McDonald But Actually A Catgirl In Disguise) or even a Shakeragian role (The Beginner's BYOR 3 Role That Is An Example In The Opening Post). I reserve the right to give you silly Abilities if you send in a Shakeragian role.

Some more specific rules:

Day Phases last 72 hours for the first and second Days, and 48 hours henceforth, though they still end immediately on Hammer. I reserve the right to extend the duration as needed if a player replaces into the game or a real-life emergency occurs, or such. Night Phases last 24 hours always, though they may be shortened if every player submits their desired actions or lack thereof quickly.

No editing your posts, and no directly quoting any PMs you have received from me. You are freely permitted to paraphrase. If you are Mafia, you may directly quote PMs from me in the scumchat only. Likewise, if you are Town and have a role that grants you a shared, alignment-verified private Discord chat with another Town player, you may quote PMs from me in there. If you have access to a private chat without alignment verification included, you do not possess this privilege. Never directly quote PMs from me in the main thread no matter your alignment.

After the Day is ended via hammer, do not post. You may edit your posts to nullify content posted after the hammer, which is an exception to the above rule. If the Day ends via deadline and not hammer, you may continue to post until I close the thread, but further votes will not count and whoever was Executed may not post (except to produce a single 'bah' post useful for mockery, a joke, or humor, but not permitted to contain game-related content).

Don't be too much of an asshole. Some aggression is fine, too much will have me stepping down from my cloud to warn you to cut it out.

I've decided to switch to the standard model of not informing players when redirection (that is, the changing of your action target by the use of an ability) has occurred during the Night. Sorry.

Finally, and this is a big one:

The starting Phase is Night 0, not Day 1. Players may not perform player-eliminating actions, including the Mafiakill, during Night 0.

Bye-bye RVS.

To sign up, post the word 'in', bolded, in the thread, and send me your desired role name via PM. The game is capped at 9 players, since it's a Beginner's BYOR, however if you're a new player I will move a more experienced player out of their slot for your sake.

Current signups:
  • Knightwing64
  • webadict
  • TricMagic
  • Lenglon
  • Roden
  • Shakerag
  • Egan_BW
  • Maximum Spin
  • Jim Groovester
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 04:55:45 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Under New Management (0 / 9)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 08:23:13 am »

IN

Wot mafia, I is a new playah

(Lel)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 09:07:37 am »

in

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 10:18:14 am »

Ru oh, web is joining. Get ready for Sherlock web Holmes. On the other hand, I am very likely to ride his coattails if I’m scum with ‘em, soooooo

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 11:38:16 am »

In

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Under New Management (3 / 9)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 10:08:42 pm »

I'm not ready for a new mafia game quite yet, but from the signup progress we still have some time before this one starts so I should be ready by then. In
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Under New Management (4 / 9)
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 10:34:32 pm »

Yeah, it should be a while. And even if we suddenly get five new players dropping in at once I'll probably wait to start until Demon Mafia Day 2 at least, just to space things a bit.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 10:49:31 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 10:49:00 pm »

PTW. I shall search within on whether I think playing the hellish game which is Mafia is worth it to me. I mean, I can pick a funny role so that's pretty nice.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 11:53:49 pm »

I will watch this game.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 01:41:55 pm »

I have a role idea but I most assuredly do not have the time for two games.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 10:05:30 pm »

I feel like another Beginner BYOR should maybe wait until there are some beginners.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 10:19:00 pm »

I feel like another Beginner BYOR should maybe wait until there are some beginners.
Ultimately, the point is that the signups remain open for a while so there's room for beginners to join. If someone else wants to run a game before this I don't mind. I haven't run a game in a while, though. Would be nice to get some practice in before FBYOR5 or this weird closed semi-bastard setup I've been thinking of comes around.

Some more recruitment efforts would be good, too.
Generic Arms Race.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 12:46:18 am »

I haven't played in a hot minute, I'll In.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Under New Management (5 / 9)
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 08:49:57 pm »

In but ready to give up my position to a new player.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Under New Management (6 / 9)
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2022, 09:01:20 am »

Moar players needed
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54