Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 54

Author Topic: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Game Over - Et tu, Egan?  (Read 16937 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Under New Management (6 / 9)
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2022, 06:26:19 pm »

In.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Under New Management (6 / 9)
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2022, 06:41:20 pm »

I guess that at least makes a couple non-veteran players. In.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Under New Management (8 / 9)
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2022, 08:44:23 pm »

That makes one more slot. Though of course experienced players can be swapped for newer ones as needed.

I'll probably give it three to four days before we start once we reach 9 players, unless there's popular demand to delay it further or start earlier. I'll need at least some time to build the setup, though.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2022, 10:53:25 pm »

I will join this game to get it started.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2022, 03:50:06 am »

I will join this game to get it started.
But you didn't post In - but whatever, I'll take it.

I'll get on the role baking then. Game starts whenever it wants to start (but probably between two and four days). I've learned my lesson about rushing setup design.

(If a new player wants to join, I'll still take them up until game start, but it'll probably extend the start since I'll have to reorganize the setup.)
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 (9 / 9) - Rolebaking Smells Like Raisins
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2022, 01:58:18 am »

Update: seven out of nine roles have a first draft done. I still need to complete the other two roles, and then tweak everything - I want this to be balanced, after all.
Generic Arms Race.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2022, 01:59:48 am »

You do?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 03:01:09 am »

Look, I love chaotic messes, but this is supposed to be beginner-friendly, so I have to tone it down so it's only a small chaotic mess, not a large one.
Generic Arms Race.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2022, 03:04:43 am »

Now I want to argue how increased chaos and unpredictability makes things more accessible to beginners because the chaos can cover up flawed fundamentals.
That doesn't mean I actually believe it, but I mean, it's a workable argument.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2022, 03:40:19 am »

On the flip side, increased chaos makes it harder to learn basic skills. The whole point of Beginner BYORs is that, frankly, the old Beginner's Mafia didn't really represent the Bay 12 mafia community and the typical qualities of our games, and what makes our games fun. But it's still mafia, and you have to learn how to hunt scum and pretend to hunt scum and do all that. If the game is a total madhouse, it's harder to learn how to do that. At the same time, you're also practicing for dealing with unexpected situations.

Say there's someone claiming to be a super-duper miller who appears to be scum in most ways and always appears to be targeting whoever was killed. Now what? How do you handle that?

So there's a level of chaos that's desirable, but it's in between 'too much' and 'none at all'. I'm trying to strike that balance.
Generic Arms Race.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2022, 07:21:02 am »

Good furry

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2022, 09:55:16 am »

Say there's someone claiming to be a super-duper miller who appears to be scum in most ways and always appears to be targeting whoever was killed. Now what? How do you handle that?
Probably by learning how to play the Day game instead of the Night game ;)

Ergo, the real lesson is to never think too hard about what exists in the Night, but only focus instead on what you know exists.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2022, 04:38:35 pm »

Update: planning to start the game tonight. I have the setup mostly done, I just need to finish it, then give it a balance and polish and sanity pass.
Generic Arms Race.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 (9 / 9) - Rolebaking Tastes Of Onions
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2022, 05:35:45 pm »

I have no clue how I'm gonna manage this group. Hopefully my role is fun!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 54