Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need help  (Read 2056 times)

Fortressmaker

• Bay Watcher
  • i am fortress maker
    • View Profile
I need help
« on: July 25, 2022, 08:40:28 am »

My hammerer has started a dwarven genocide because of one thing.

When merchants arrived, there was no ban on export of crowns, but when merchants was going from my fortress he imposed the ban, and I realised that I exported crowns. And now my hammered is executing everybody. HELP

Hello "Your name", i cant say i heard it before, the life is, in one word, Fortresses.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: I need help
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 11:29:33 am »

Stop having a hammerer.

Fortressmaker

• Bay Watcher
  • i am fortress maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 02:43:23 pm »

Thank you both really much. It worked and now I continue my peaceful existence in this cruel world.
Hello "Your name", i cant say i heard it before, the life is, in one word, Fortresses.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 09:25:37 pm »

AHAB

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hyperlynx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 06:39:12 am »

If you absolutely have to have a hammerer, choose someone very weak, and give them a hammer made from the lightest materials you have available (adamantine works best, if you've got it).

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 09:38:26 am »

There are two possible punishments: beating or confinement.
If only one option is available all punishments will be converted to that one.

While beating has an advantage training your doctors and potentially even finally use that hardwrought tractionbench, you also stand a risk to loose dwarfs you happened to like.

You can avoid most beatings by having a prison. A prison is designated from either a build chain or cage. Cages are safer in use when dealing with dwarfs on the edge of a mental breakdown. To avoid it comes to that, use chains and put drinks and food in range. As a chain gives some leeway, you can take care of other needs too.

Still, not complying to noble demands is a very serious offence! Something that very well can end up with a capital punishment. As others answered, there will be no beatings when there is no executioner.

When a crime is not punished, some dwarfs will feel unhappy about it. Punishing a random innocent will make eveb nire dwarfs unhappy. Unpunished crimes will be remembered a long time, potentially making your hammerer very busy once you assign one.

An assigned hammerer can be fun if you manage to intercept an artifact thief, Once you are used to how dwarven injustice works, you can evade the worst consequences. Most of the time. Do not get too attached to your dwarfs. There will be !fun!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 03:55:28 pm »

I don't know exactly how the current version works, but in the past, any time a dwarf's sentence was impossible to carry out, it would be downgraded to a Beating. Hammerstrikes could be eliminated by not having any justice-enabled Chains (because the Hammerer had to restrain prisoners before bashing their skulls in), and Imprisonment could be avoided by not having any Jails at all. The only way a Beating could be avoided would be if you didn't have a Sheriff or Captain of the Guard (or any Fortress Guards) in the first place.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 04:17:14 am »

If you can’t solve it using the above methods, you could retire your fortress and then reclaim it. That resets most of the fortress management stuff.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 06:26:18 pm »

Has happened to me before, the goddamn noble sets a ban on some random thing just as the merchants are leaving the map with it. I ended up having to memorise what crafts were banned everytime I trade, not a bug per se but a really annoying effect of the trade ban feature, imo bans should be reworked, making it so that they last a set amount of time, say a year or a season, and have them be set on a consistent date or after the merchants have left.
It's usually something in their likes list so if you have a noble capable of imposing mandates and they have something you like to export on it, that guy can get a magma bath immediately.  I once had a mayor who did that with spiked balls in a fort where I was using that particular scam.  (You can actually switch to large serrated discs in that case which have the same value multiplier to exploit.)  The only reason he didn't die was he had one-punched a giant cave spider that was in the middle of obliterating my actual military, so I owed him some respect.

I don't mind if they do an export ban on something like bucklers that I'd never export anyway.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 06:51:01 pm »

If you've got a mayor with bad mandates, you can just assign a different one. Don't export their stuff that year, though, it still counts as a crime. And it's always useful to go through your dwarves looking for anybody who doesn't like any items, so you'll know who to recommend for barony.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 07:00:18 pm »

If you've got a mayor with bad mandates, you can just assign a different one. Don't export their stuff that year, though, it still counts as a crime. And it's always useful to go through your dwarves looking for anybody who doesn't like any items, so you'll know who to recommend for barony.
I always check their likes to avoid this quandary.  The worst (that require replacement) are if you often trade things in bins and they forbid that.

You can also cull on mandates but obviously this doesn't stop the delightful situation where your idiot mayor/king/whatever bans an export while the merchants are leaving with it.