Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wrestling moves performed w/ weapons  (Read 839 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
wrestling moves performed w/ weapons
« on: September 05, 2006, 07:27:00 pm »

Hello all,

I noticed that it is possible to perform wrestling moves with weapons (or weapon hands?).

I was wondering... does grabbing work better with some weapons rather than others?  For instance, is it easier to get a choke hold on someone with a whip or two-handed pole weapon (using the shaft to choke the opponent) than it is with a shield (I am not sure how I would "grab" someone with a shield, but the option appears on the wrastlin' menu in the version I am using).  

Once, when I started out with a new char, his first heroic deed was strangling a mule with his whip.  I was pretty psycked about this, but later noticed that it is possible to grab enemies with any kind of weapon.  This was kind of dissapointing since I thought I had discovered a special function of whip class weapons.

For that matter, when it says "grab" does it mean literally grab, are are you just pinning the body part with that weapon?  Does it mean you are using the weapon to hook someone's limb/extremity?  Or does it mean you are somehow using that hand while holding onto the weapon at the same time?

Anyway, back to the original question: are some weapons better for grappling?  I sure hope that if this is not the case, eventually something like this will be implemented!  I think the possibilities that the combat system presents for different fighting styles is very very interesting, and hope that weapon types differ in functionality, not just what skills they require for use.  Also, it might be cool if some weapons (knives in particular) are better at close-in or ground fighting whereas other weapons (spears, big swords, etc.) are almost useless... again, more variety in tactics, etc.  Perhaps this has already been taken into consideration?

Anyway, even though the adventure mode is still in a very early stage, I think it is incredibly fun!  Thank you Toady et al for all of the work you have put into this kick ass game (and all of the various modes)!

Thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou!

(One more quick question, before I forget: are flails considered to be a whip or mace weapon?)

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wrestling moves performed w/ weapons
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:09:00 pm »

I can only answer the last one, but thats better than nothing so. flails are considerd mace weapons. You can check stuff out on weapons in your raw\objects folder (along with some other stuff).

[ September 05, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 01:05:00 am »

Ive noticed this too, but most of the time I just throw it in close combat mode and spam random wrestling moves on zombies  :), The only thing you cant do while wrestling with weapons is gouge out eyes stuff.

I did notice with spears though is that they get stuck in the opponent a whole lot and cause you to go into wrestling mode to twist it around, incapicating the enemy. This causes your wrestling to go up a lot.

Very good question though and I havent the slightst clue. To me they are all the same.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 01:51:00 am »

Spears also have a critical boost. This makes them considerably more dangerous.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 02:37:00 am »

It's actually using the weapon, but I haven't gotten around to making any distinctions yet.  It's just to denote contact in a sense, like the weapon is pressed up against the part.  Later, things like whip strangling and cutting throats should be more differentiated and meaningful.  Right now it's just a random thing.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!