Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More realistic than Kerbals and FREE - Orbiter 2016  (Read 2608 times)

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More realistic than Kerbals and FREE - Orbiter 2016
« on: July 16, 2020, 05:36:49 pm »

Much more realistic, better graphics and real Solar System. The best flight simulation by far, with all the real perturbations if you’re up to the challenge. With HD textures, it looks MUCH better than KSP ever did. Sadly, not that many craft or space stations.

Best part - it’s free!

Forum (best place to learn more and get advice) - https://www.orbiter-forum.com/
Main site - http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/index.html

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: More realistic than Kerbals and FREE - Orbiter 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 05:58:49 pm »

For some old informations, there was an old thread about Orbiter here , it died in 2016 when Orbiter 2016 was released oddly :D

Never moved out my Orbiter 2010-P1 setup as it still works good on my window 10 (and i'm so used to it) , but in case you're interested in Orbiter 2016 i'm sure there are still addons to get more content for it on the Orbiter Hangar, there were so many of them on 2010

https://www.orbithangar.com/

edit : it looks like my favorite earth base addon, Wideawake International, does not work correctly in Orbiter 2016 : most of the land mass is invisible, there's an ascension 2016 addon but it's nowhere as cool as WI is unfortunately.
And the ummu addons are not compatible at all with 2016 too, meaning no EVA in space/surface/walk/reentry around the vessels, i'll keep my barrel of Orbiter 2010 P1 then.
apparently there's an "open" mmu addon
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=39239
in development in the last 2 years without a release yet.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 08:40:41 pm by Robsoie »

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 04:54:32 am »

Yeah, that’s a problem. Orbiter lacks devs who would create new addons, most are more than several years old, many were made for Orbiter 2010 and don’t work anymore. Many of the best addons however, like the XR series, work just fine.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 05:43:07 am »

I noticed that the author of the most excellent must have ummu started to update his addons to Orbiter 2016 :
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=14499.0
would be game changer for me.

There's a thread on which people post when old Orbiter2010-P1 addons work fine in 2016, too bad the 1st post that was starting to collect them hasn't been updated since years, so you'll need to browse the thread to see more.
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=37446

importantly it looks like the Basesync and Aerobrake MFD are compatible, must have when wanting to do a precise re-entry.
A real pity Wideawake Island isn't compatible, my favorite launching base by far, there is such a "james bond villain secret base" atmosphere to it :D

edit : if you use the d3d9 client for orbiter 2016 (and you should for better everything, including performance) , make sure to start Orbiter with Orbiter_ng.exe, not orbiter.exe , or else you would be using old dx7 engine despite having installed the dx9 one. Then in the menu go to Modules and enable "D3D9Client" in the graphic engine category (and also the sounds if you want them)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 06:37:21 am by Robsoie »

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 05:31:26 am »

It takes a while to set up properly, but it’s definitely worth it. It’s incredibly realistic, and there’s so much to do even without the ability to build craft like in KSP. The addon scenario editor is a must, as there aren’t many stations and ships to travel to. One of my favourite scenarios is my own creation - I just added some satellites and two Deepstars (one in Earth’s orbit and one in Mars’) and it’s a lot of fun flying between them and docking with supplies (mainly fuel and LOX). Deepstars, while technically long-range exploration craft, are also amazing as orbital stations for science, refuelling and resupply. They can also provide some R&R for astronauts before returning to Earth or heading out to the Solar System. It’s also fun to try to intercept satellites and stay close to them to simulate maintenance.

Also, remember to install hi-res textures. They’re a real game-changer.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 05:33:35 am by Ekaton »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 06:28:06 am »

Got a very odd bug.
With the ravenstar after taking off from KSC and getting an orbit using my old fuel sparring method from another thread and was happy to see it still works nice on 2016 :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

as i wasn't that far from ISS and had enough fuel left i decided to go try to dock to it.
While building orbit intersections to spare more fuel , at some point i went into prograde. After a while my XR2 started to spin a lot and no kill rotation or any manual attempt stopped this. Then after many unsuccessful tries from me to get back the ship into normal, the game just crashed.

logs didn't helped unfortunately so no idea if the problem was orbiter 2016 , the xr2 or the d3d9 client.

Went back to my good old 2010-P1 so at least i could take off from my favorite place, the visual sure changed a lot, the one i like the most in 2016 is the sun effect that mix with the earth atmosphere when it emerge at the horizon and you're in orbit.

Checked quickly the moon too, nice to see all the bumps and mountain being actual mesh instead of only texture like in 2010-P1 (without the meshland or orulex addon)

EDIT : tried again, this time the xr2 and orbiter didn't crashed.

my first KCS to ISS in Orbiter 2016

Though even if i didn't wasted so much time, i would still be very, very very far from those guys and their KCS to ISS in +/- 10 minutes
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14722

Still hoping Widewake International will have a compatible version with Orbiter 2016 one day, and eagerly awaiting for the ummu addon adaptation to 2016, i miss getting out of the ships in space and going into other ships or walking around the bases on the moon or mars when i landed, something i liked to do a lot in 2010P1.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:27:48 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 05:11:02 pm »

My first successfull Orbiter 2016 re-entry, though very underwhelming in the end from ISS to Woomera in Australia.
I decided for Woomera because it was a base that was rather close to ISS orbit (and so mine) judging for the map MFD, needing then very few adjustement and so very few fuel, and because i never went there, so it would be a change from KSC and Widewake island.

But what i didn't thought when i started my procedures is that without specific addons made for the location there's then no buildings and no airfields, nothing represented in the game, it's only the base transponder i guess.
So i landed in the middle of nowhere :/

Oh well.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 05:16:09 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 07:08:00 pm »

Been a year i didn't launched Orbiter, so i missed the news but in summer last year Orbiter had been made open source
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/orbiter-is-now-open-source.40023/

Anyways, will have to check what's new with the addons for Orbiter 2016 and how is the latest snapshot of Orbiter as development is still going.