Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Game inspired by rouge is called rougelike. How do you call game inspired by DF?  (Read 1445 times)

nataraj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Game inspired by rouge is called rougelike. How do you call game inspired by Dwarf Fortress?

dwarf-fortress-like is too long. df-like is too unclear.

Are there any conventional generalized name for such games?
e-mail: dhyan@nataraj.su
matrix: @dhyan:nataraj.su

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Colony Management game.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Dwarf Fortress is in fact 2 games that can influence each other, there's a "real time colony/city builder" and an "open world roguelike".

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarf Fortress is in fact 2 games that can influence each other, there's a "real time colony/city builder" and an "open world roguelike".

Technically 3, if you count History Generation, because there's an actual strategy game being played by AIs behind the scenes.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Yes you're right, you can spend a long time in the Legends mode.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile

Colony Management game.
This. I just call them "colony builders".
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Yeah... stuff similar to DF predates DF, city builders and whatnot had been around for a while. There were already terms for that kind of gameplay, which is probably why there hasn't been some kind of common DF-like term. Add on that "colony builder" or whatever is both pretty short and sweet, and plenty descriptive, and there's just no particular need.

Stuff similar to rogue kinda'... doesn't. Predate rogue. It and moria were some of the earliest examples of its kind, and easily the most well known/popular one for a good while. There wasn't preexisting vernacular, and no one's really managed to come up with something better since. So it sticks around, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

Yeah... stuff similar to DF predates DF, city builders and whatnot had been around for a while. There were already terms for that kind of gameplay, which is probably why there hasn't been some kind of common DF-like term. Add on that "colony builder" or whatever is both pretty short and sweet, and plenty descriptive, and there's just no particular need.

Stuff similar to rogue kinda'... doesn't. Predate rogue. It and moria were some of the earliest examples of its kind, and easily the most well known/popular one for a good while. There wasn't preexisting vernacular, and no one's really managed to come up with something better since. So it sticks around, heh.
Rogue was just the first mass-available example of the genre that would later be called "roguelikes". A game simply called "dnd" for the PLATO mainframe has all the hallmarks of being a roguelike and predates Rogue by 6 years.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

I've seen DF-like and Dwarf Fortress-like used to describe games. I've also seen games state they were inspired by Dwarf Fortress.
The accuracy of these statements however is varied.

I'd argue Dungeon Keeper is the closest ancestor of Dwarf Fortress, since it contains both Dungeon creating via digging and first person gameplay as a minion.

Dwarf Fortress itself is Toady One's sequel to Slaves to Armok: God of Blood, which is the source of Adventure Mode.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Ideally, X-like should never be used as a descriptor for a game genre. 'Roguelike' has created all sorts of controversy over what the term means, and how divergent a game can be from Rogue while still using the tag.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ideally, X-like should never be used as a descriptor for a game genre. 'Roguelike' has created all sorts of controversy over what the term means, and how divergent a game can be from Rogue while still using the tag.
IMO not having tile-based movement (and preferably turns) instantly disqualifies a game from being a roguelike. FTL isn't a roguelike, Isaac isn't a roguelike, Spelunky isn't a roguelike. Necrodancer is arguably a roguelike.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Df would be a roguelite if going by the strict terms

But this sums it up. Pretty much two groups depending how strict one is to define a genre

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Berlin Interpretation is out-dated, inane dribble, like most things decided by committee. I agree with Slash's definition.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I just don't think there's much point in worrying about what specifically is or isn't one. It's not like you couldn't do an RL without tiles, just by riffing on a tabletop movement schema, nevermind any other options (being a sidescroller ferex... iirc either Megaman or Metroid RL was one, if spelunky is a bridge too far for you). Can't recall any tabletop-y ones of the top of my head, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't one out there, somewhere.

Mostly if the devs say it is one, or a substantial amount of its playerbase, that's good enough for me. There's nothing necessary to being a roguelike, just a pile of various sufficients that may or may not be enough on its own. Berlin interpretation's fun, because even when it originally was posited, that's basically it's conclusion -- that nothing on its list is necessary, it's just the more points you have the more roguelike-y you are.

End of the day roguelike's a useful enough descriptor that it's led me to dozens upon dozens of things I really enjoy playing, even when whatever's been labeled with it is near entirely divorced from the originating core of the genre, and I don't need anything more than that from a video game genre :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just don't think there's much point in worrying about what specifically is or isn't one. It's not like you couldn't do an RL without tiles, just by riffing on a tabletop movement schema, nevermind any other options (being a sidescroller ferex... iirc either Megaman or Metroid RL was one, if spelunky is a bridge too far for you). Can't recall any tabletop-y ones of the top of my head, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't one out there, somewhere.

Mostly if the devs say it is one, or a substantial amount of its playerbase, that's good enough for me. There's nothing necessary to being a roguelike, just a pile of various sufficients that may or may not be enough on its own. Berlin interpretation's fun, because even when it originally was posited, that's basically it's conclusion -- that nothing on its list is necessary, it's just the more points you have the more roguelike-y you are.

End of the day roguelike's a useful enough descriptor that it's led me to dozens upon dozens of things I really enjoy playing, even when whatever's been labeled with it is near entirely divorced from the originating core of the genre, and I don't need anything more than that from a video game genre :V
I am just quite rigid on what constitutes genres. The games I listed are roguelites, IMO. Being labeled by the devs or the community is not enough for me.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:41:23 pm by KittyTac »
Pages: [1] 2