Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Casotoxa, Striketrampled: Capturing Every Forgotten Beast In The World (743/748)  (Read 7992 times)

nocpur

• Bay Watcher
  • droolin
    • View Profile

Oh... It just occurred to me... Those two haven't taken up residence in a ruined fortress or something, have they? I'm not sure if they'll leave if they have, and the wiki is no help on the matter, having looked at the pages for Forgotten Beasts, Titans, Megabeasts in general, and Ruins. Including the discussion pages thereof.

Uh oh. I never thought of this. I hope this isn't the case, but I did check legends, and they both have settled. I always thought they'll attack you regardless of being settled or not. Hmmmmmm.

Let me dig around for a while and see what I can come up with.

EDIT: Okay. Big problem.

Remember that list of the top 5 killers that I don't have yet?

1. ner nightdepth - alligator
2. buriedumbras - salt blob, no effects
3. tofi whisperechoes - titmouse
4. ak menacedgristles - black opal quadruped
5. omethu coastalbeaches - ankylosaurid

Yeah, that's all of the guys above. Who have all settled somewhere after their rampage. And who I still don't have.

This is a pretty big problem. I'm not sure what to do about this. My only thought is to try and recover them somehow in adventure mode (is that even possible????) or do some DFHack things.

I'm gonna think about this some more. I mean, worst case scenario I just literally spawn them in, for completionist points, but... I'm not sure.

EDIT 2: A possible plan -

1. Once I've caught all that I can, besides the last 5, I retire Casotoxa, make an adventurer, I travel to the sites where these beasts are.

2. There, I use the command "lair reset" to remove their ownership of the place. And maybe, maybe this resets their "settled" status and changes it back to "wandering".

3. Once my adventurer returns home, I start playing in fortress mode, and wait for those guys to show up.

Maybe?

This might work. (And honestly, sounds like a cool adventure - traveling to the far reaches of the earth to collect the last 5 worthy beasts). But also, I don't know if it will work, because I wonder if the beast will still be labeled as "settled".

Alternatively, a different take on the plan above, albeit a bit more cheaty. I'm definitely going to try the first before I do anything super cheaty, though....

1. Once I've caught all that I can, besides the last 5, I retire Casotoxa, make an adventurer, I travel to the sites where these beasts are.

2. There, I kill the beast.

3. Once my adventurer returns home, I start playing in fortress mode, and I spawn the 5 beasts in. That way I won't have two clones in my world, and I'll have to do a pretty decent amount of work to get the beasts, and hopefully the cheaty aspect will be a bit more worth it.

Thoughts? I don't know where to go from here. Right now I'm just going to focus on getting the remaining beasts, but I'm definitely going to have to do something about this problem soon.

(On the bright side, I haven't opened legends in a while. So I just checked, and I have 749 beasts alive in my world, which means I think I've killed all the web-shooters, because Ngonos is still alive).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 11:57:23 pm by nocpur »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should post that epic adventure of going to the various places to disturb the forgotten beasts.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Isn't there a dfhack script that triggers forgotten beast invasion?

Would that one work in attracting beasts that have already settled elsewhere?

nocpur

• Bay Watcher
  • droolin
    • View Profile

You should post that epic adventure of going to the various places to disturb the forgotten beasts.

Oh, for sure I will. I've actually never really played adventure mode before, so it'll be a bit of a learning curve for me, it's probably about time I check it out anyways. I do play lots of Caves of Qud though so I think it's similar enough, I mean, all I really have to do is travel. Let's just hope the bogeymen are kind enough to let me pass by. I'm pretty sure my world is the largest size, whoops.

Isn't there a dfhack script that triggers forgotten beast invasion?

Would that one work in attracting beasts that have already settled elsewhere?

Yeah, it's "force". I've tested it before and I've never really been able to get it working. I've found it works for migrants, but megabeasts/forgotten beasts don't seem to be triggered by the event at all. I'm kinda doubting it'll work on settled beasts but I'll probably give it a shot once I've captured the rest.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

Retiring/unretiring frees caged creatures. Not sure about chained ones. It also randomizes the locations of any wild animals or forgotten beasts on the map.

By the way, how have invasions gone in this fort? Have you simply weathered them until your attackers ran out of population? What about visitors? Have they all died of old age?

nocpur

• Bay Watcher
  • droolin
    • View Profile

Retiring/unretiring frees caged creatures. Not sure about chained ones. It also randomizes the locations of any wild animals or forgotten beasts on the map.

By the way, how have invasions gone in this fort? Have you simply weathered them until your attackers ran out of population? What about visitors? Have they all died of old age?

I think I can also use the lair command on DFHack to mark my site as a lair itself, which prevents item scattering. Not sure what this does to chained creatures. I'm of course going to make a backup before I try any of this, if it does mess with my beast count/chained status then I'll probably have to resort to other options.

I actually haven't had an invasion happen in over 100 years. Maybe even 130. I used to do a good bit of raiding, used to get attacked by nearby necromancers/a human civ I pissed off, even conquered some sites, but I decided to just focus on beast catching and eventually ignored them all. I will say my attackers still have a good bit of population left, I think they really did just forget about me, because I stopped poking them. I never really get visitors in my fort, despite being open, so I haven't had to worry about those.

nocpur

• Bay Watcher
  • droolin
    • View Profile

Well. Here we are.

With the arrival of Disuth, forgotten beast #743, we have almost completed our journey.

743/748 beasts captured. This is every single one my world has to offer me, right now.

I'm actually kind of shocked we're finally here. But we're not done yet.

First, I have to see what retiring does to this fort. Then, I have to pray that the removal of the lair that the last 5 beasts remain in works. If neither of those things work, we're going to have to try other options. I'm not going to clutter this post with any of that, but I'm going to be testing this tonight/tomorrow and I'll write up something about my retiring experiments then. After that, we're going to go forward with our plans to recover the last five beasts, hopefully in adventure mode. I've already chosen an adventurer that I want for the job.

Anyways. Wow! It's going to be weird not having anymore forgotten beast notifications popping up. The caverns are safe once more, and it only cost the depletion of every single species besides giant moles, mud men, and large rats.

Also, how come nobody told me I had two beasts of the same tile together since hall 1?? Shame!

Obviously I'm kidding, but I can't believe it took me 743 beasts to notice this. If you see any more like this let me know, lol.

What we are going to do next is a series of experiments to determine how retiring affects this fortress. Here are some of my concerns.

1. Ngonos. He's not chained. If he's freed from his containment, then I have to figure out how to get him back in. If he's freed and is let loose into my fortress, he's probably going to get killed, which is not acceptable. In that case some teleport action might be necessary, because I'm not losing him to a weird game quirk that I think shouldn't even be there in the first place. If worldgen kills him off somehow while I'm gone as an adventurer, that's also not acceptable, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it. Another worst case scenario is if he somehow destroys my fortress in an act of retribution while I'm gone, which, fine, that's probably fair, but also not acceptable.

2. Visibility. I'm not sure if I will be able to see inside my cells without the use of reveal. They are walled off, which could be an issue. Worst case scenario I play with reveal on, but that's honestly a little ugly. If I REALLY wanted to I could replace all the walls. We'll see if I REALLY want to do that.

3. Of course, if retirement results in me losing all the beasts, having them be unchained, and causing them to run rampant in the fortress would probably be a little bad too.

4. Actually, to add onto that, I have a LOT of other megabeasts in storage too. A lot of dragons. That might also go quite terribly wrong, because not all of those are chained. (I can chain them before I retire actually, so maybe I can solve this crisis beforehand).

I've already been making backups so even if retiring does go completely wrong we haven't lost any progress because of it.

I'm not going to be testing this just yet, I have some things I need to do tonight, but curiosity might get the better of me and I might end up doing it anyways. I'll make a separate post following this one for that. For now, I'm going to take a little break, and we'll be back with some information soon.

Enjoy the tally.

(((EDIT: Also, wait, how do I have an even number of spaces filled with an odd number of chained beasts on my map?

I don't even know what's going on now, I don't have any unchained beasts besides Ngonos. I'll look into this later, I'm confused. God, I wonder if I accidentally chained a titan in here...))))

EDIT 2: I did! What the hell!

Well. I'll fix that later, lmfao.

EDIT 3: Slight delay on testing, I've gotten pretty sick these past few days so I'll have to put a small pause on this til I get better. The anticipation is killing me too, lol.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 08:12:17 pm by nocpur »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sneaky titan thought he could hide in there with all those forgotten beasts.

Also hopefully there won't be any issues with the unretireing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

Good luck. You're going where no man has gone before.

nocpur

• Bay Watcher
  • droolin
    • View Profile

Not an update right now, but just wanted to say I'm still here! I'll resume work on this soon, I got pretty sick and then pretty busy, so I've had to put this on the backburner for a while. I'll start up again around or after Thanksgiving since I'll have some free time then. I'm coming for those last 5...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

looking forward to the post-hiatus update.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

longest word I could find lol

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile

5 more to go. Then the fun begins. Need to check the list and make my bet.

The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

sniper_231996

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to make people happy!
    • View Profile

Teacher, your student passed the test !
https://youtu.be/QdVsybE6yag
- Dungeon Lord Sniper
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]