Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Epic Free Game of the Week  (Read 33828 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Free Game of the Week
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2022, 01:59:36 pm »

Today is Death Stranding. You're the deliverator in a game Kojima was allowed to design by himself without (much?) interference.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2022, 01:00:05 pm »

Today's free game is F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch. It's a Metroidvania/platformer game starring a rabbit, and also combining an acronym with a colon because we hate readability here.

It's also 2-d, but has 3-d platforms and backgrounds, which looks kind of annoying. I'll give it a shot, but I expect to be annoyed.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2022, 02:32:17 pm »

Today is Severed Steel. It's a single-player FPS with destructible environment. Like, they were showing using the rocket launcher to blow through a wall, then jump through, shoot out a window, and go through that to fight enemies. Seems gimmicky, but it's a gimmick people have been wanting for a long time.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2022, 04:42:58 pm »

Today is what appears to be a Souls-like called Mortal Shells. Also, you can inhabit the body of killed enemies to use their abilities.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2022, 07:01:09 pm »

It seems to be very good if you have a strong PC and if you enjoy soul-likes from what i see in videos as it uses a lot of ingredient of the genre.
The gimmick of the game, that have your character possessing 5 different type of body, allowing you to play 5 characters with their own visuals and moveset can be helpful for replay value i guess.

But if you don't have a strong pc you may be tempted to lower the video settings like shadows (that are usually performance demanding) , and unfortunately there's a bug the devs never cared to fix : with the shadow setting below "High", the fog will become a very lot more thicker and much brighter, making it so you see nearly nothing around you.

So if you want to experience that game, you'll need to keep the shadow to "High" so the fog get its correct opacity, thickness and color, unfortunately shadow on high is costly on performance if you don't have strong enough PC.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 07:05:29 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2022, 11:49:10 am »

unfortunately there's a bug the devs never cared to fix : with the shadow setting below "High", the fog will become a very lot more thicker and much brighter, making it so you see nearly nothing around you.

Hilarious.

Today, we're back to weekly games. Dishonored Definitive Edition and Eximus Seize the Frontline Season 3 Breakthrough. Dishonored is a game where you play a magical assassin out for revenge. Eximus is a competitive FPS that claims to also be a RTS game.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2022, 07:02:41 am »

Dishonored starts with a generic gameplay but once you get your first power it simply change everything as it opens up a lot of paths and possibility in how to move through a level, further powers only add to the amount of stuff you can do.
It's a really great stealth based game and the world gets interesting from what you learn from all the lore/book/dialogues/records you find.

Some of the DLC that are included in this edition, "Knife of Dunwall" and "The Brigmore Witches" are rather big and viewed very positively by the Dishonored fans (make sure to play them in that order as they're part of a large story and share the character progression).

Basically if you never played it, it's a must try.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2023, 05:47:13 pm »

This week we've got Kerbal Space Program if you don't already have that, and Shadow Tactics Aiko's Choice. Aiko's Choice is a standalone expansion, which I assume means you need the base game (I can't find anything saying either way), but the story is different than the main game.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2023, 06:24:35 pm »

You do NOT need the original game (Shadow Tactics : Shogun's Blade) for Aiko Choice.
If you like the Commandos games system mixing this stealth/puzzle mechanics , Shadow Tactics is a truly excellent and is simply my favorite in the Commandos genre.

Aiko Choice is not a sequel as its story is happening during the events of the Shogun's Blade game (before the 9th mission of it, and if you played Shogun's Blade you're very happy it happens before that mission) and is a much shorter game (3 large missions and 3 small ones, fortunately they're of good quality but Shogun Blade had 13 missions ) , but at least it's more missions with those cool characters.

Though i'm not sure it's great for a newcomer, as Aiko Choice does not start with an easier mission like in the original game that made you get into the gameplay more smoothly, the 1st mission in Aiko Choice may feel rather brutal for a new player.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 08:27:30 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2023, 11:26:46 am »

I've got incredibly slow internet right now, so I can't get Epic to load. I'll post the new game when things work again, unless Robsoie or someone gets there first.

Edit: Finally Fixed.

We've Got:
First Class Troubles - you're (plural, it's multi-player) on a space cruise ship, and need to stop an AI by doing tasks. Some players are AI agents, and trying to prevent that. Has a voting round to get rid of people you think are AI agents. Combines board games like Shadows over Camelot or The Resistance with what the video makes look like slightly janky FPS mechanics.

Divine TKO - Smash brothers, but 3rd person 3d for some reason, and featuring characters from mythology.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 04:59:49 pm by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2023, 01:47:21 pm »

This week's game is a beautiful game animated to look like origami called Epistory. As the story unfolds (their joke, not mine), you have to face problems that are solved by...typing. That's right, it's a nicer version of typer shark (which is already a good game). Keeps my skills from getting rusty, at least.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2023, 02:40:20 pm »

This week is more of a let-down.

First up is Adios. It's a first-person game about you, a pig farmer, who disposes of bodies for the mob. You've decided you're quitting. I can't tell how on-rails it is.

Secondly is Hell is Others. A top-down pvp game that requires DirectX 11 for the...pixel graphics.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2023, 03:48:31 pm »

Looks like next week we're getting back to good games after 3 weeks of mediocre ones, as there's the 3rd Dishonored game (Death of the  Outsider).

But unfortunately it was supposed to be a DLC of Dishonored 2 so it's a very short game (similarly to Shadow Tactics: Aiko Choice that was supposed to be a DLC to Shadow Tactics: Shogun's Blade) and not of the same gameplay and level design quality as the most excellent previous Dishonored games.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2023, 02:15:11 pm »

As Robsoie said, this week we have a standalone adventure from the Dishonored series: Death of the Outsider. You have to kill a "god-like figure" who you believe to be the cause of most of the empires least honorable actions.

Also, City of Gangsters: build up your own criminal gang. It has a modern Sim City look to the interface, but I'm not sure yet how it works.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2023, 07:17:01 pm »

looks like Death of the Outsider may be simply too much for my old system, the thing just does not load and crash immediately.
Oh well, at least the first Dishonored still run very well and i have yet to complete my 2nd run of it + i still have to do my 2nd run of the Daud campaign with it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 09:56:49 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17