Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Unknown Age" string in string dump  (Read 1646 times)

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
"Unknown Age" string in string dump
« on: August 10, 2022, 10:07:37 pm »

I was recently perusing the string dump looking for something completely different (I was curious about the possible ominous messages from divination dice) when i noticed, beneath the strings for the ages, the following three strings (i'm not sure if the latter two are actually related, but i'm fairly confident the first one is:)
Code: [Select]
Unknown Age
Monster
Rampage
These strings were undocumented on the wiki—I've taken the liberty of adding them here.
Has anyone ever encountered these?  Is encountering them even possible?

How do i use sigtext properly?

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Unknown Age" string in string dump
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 01:59:23 am »

My guess is that Toady added a default case to some switch statement that works out the age from a switch statement that's otherwise exhaustive. So, probably unreachable.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 02:39:44 am »

I doubt even all of the documented ones occur in the current version.

The wiki does not appear up to date on what triggers age changes. I think currently only megabeasts (not titans or demons) trigger age changes, and the ages of powers might be gone. Raising just a single megabeast in the age of twilight in the museum III world made it go right back to an Age of Heroes. This probably needs more testing.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 01:57:33 pm »

The wiki does not appear up to date on what triggers age changes. I think currently only megabeasts (not titans or demons) trigger age changes, and the ages of powers might be gone. Raising just a single megabeast in the age of twilight in the museum III world made it go right back to an Age of Heroes. This probably needs more testing.

I just generated a Tiny world in version 0.47.05 and observed "The Age of Dragon and Hill Titan", so I'd say the ages of powers are definitely still a thing. What was your evidence for them having been removed?

Furthermore, I just looked over a disassembly of the code for determining age names, and it looks to be more or less the same as it was in version 0.34.11 (which is when I originally added that information to the wiki).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 03:20:07 pm »

That is interesting.

The ages of power never occured in the museum world, we have had times when there was one megabeast alive, and when it died we went from the age of heroes to the golden age, and now, with one megabeast raised, we have gone straight back from the twilight age to the age of heroes.

We have however possibly dozens of released demons walking around in the world.

The solution might be this: demons may no longer count as a power that prevents a world from entering the golden age or twilight age, but they may prevent a world from reaching the age of the dragon, or any other age of a power.

I have to add that I know nothing about code.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 03:22:11 pm by Bralbaard »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 03:36:59 pm »

The ages of power never occured in the museum world, we have had times when there was one megabeast alive, and when it died we went from the age of heroes to the golden age, and now, with one megabeast raised, we have gone straight back from the twilight age to the age of heroes.
How large is the Museum world? How many megabeasts and/or powers were in existence when history began?

The reason I ask is because, as stated on the wiki, worlds will only go through the Ages of Powers if there were fewer than 4 powers when history began - in practice, this means they only occur in worlds of size "Smaller" or "Pocket".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 03:56:21 pm »

I missed that! It is a world with odd dimensions, probably small in width, but very tall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The starting powers were above four.

Sorry for the confusion!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 03:57:58 pm by Bralbaard »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 10:23:29 am »

Pretty sure "Rampage" is used to describe megabeast, etc., attacks in Legends mode. I don't think its related to ages.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?