Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Difference between starting armor and the armor in shops  (Read 2400 times)

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Difference between starting armor and the armor in shops
« on: September 07, 2006, 12:45:00 am »

Hey, I was wondering what the difference was between armor that my character starts out with and its counterparts in the shops.

For example my character starts out with a bronze shield, but in the shop they have a <<bronze>>. Whats the difference between these? Should I upgrade to the <<bronze>> and the <<bronze>>?

Somagu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Difference between starting armor and the armor in shops
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 01:41:00 am »

Well, I don't notice much difference, but it's pretty sweet to parry arrows with a <<Iron>>.

PvK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 02:25:00 am »

Examine the item and hit V to get an explanation, which can be decorations, materials used, quality (which hopefully has some effect on performance?), and damage level.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 02:26:00 am »

There's a listing of the icon meanings in the in-game help.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 03:37:00 pm »

Specifically:

<<This>> just indicates that the object is decorated.  Raises value, but doesn't help in any real way right now.

-This-, +this+, ≡this≡ and *this* are quality indicators, in order of quality.  The stars are masterwork.  I don't know if they actually make a weapon more effective yet, though...

◀This▶ indicates that something is magical.  You probably won't see it anywhere, since magic isn't in yet, but if you do you should obviously snatch it up.

$$This$$, of course, just indicates that something belongs to an adventure-mode shop and not you, while (this) indicates that something in fortress mode originated from outside the fortress.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 05:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG><<This>> just indicates that the object is decorated.  Raises value, but doesn't help in any real way right now.</STRONG>
You can examine them! If it says there are pictures on the item in the description, you'll get a new entry in the "Art" section under Legends. And that.. is good. Sort of.  
quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>-This-, +this+, ≡this≡ and *this* are quality indicators, in order of quality.  The stars are masterwork.  I don't know if they actually make a weapon more effective yet, though...</STRONG>
The positions of ≡this≡ and *this* should be switched.

I salute you for using the ≡ symbols, though! I didn't think they were part of standard fonts.

Also:
xthisx(somewhat damaged)
XthisX(damaged)
XXthisXX(very damaged)

[ September 07, 2006: Message edited by: Frogman ]

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 07:19:00 am »

No, I'm pretty sure that this and this should not be switched (ok yeah so its just this and this cuse I can't make the symboles, still, No switching!)

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 07:56:00 am »

Mm, but there are two different kinds of stars. The one Aquillion listed (the asterisk) comes before the triple bar thing. The other star is bigger and has a hole in the middle. And um, that one is masterwork.

EDIT: Mixed people up.  :confused: Sorry!

[ September 08, 2006: Message edited by: Frogman ]

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 06:39:00 pm »

Okay, I went to the nearest ruined and picked it dry. Then I traded the goods to local shops to get a new ≡ weapon and a few pieces of ≡ armor. I didnt notice a huge difference in damage or damage reduction. Is there a difference, and if there is how much and how can I tell. As far as I know there isnt a way to figure out how much armor class someone has or the damage range of a weapon. Thanks!

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 08:06:00 pm »

At least you can get greaves and plate mail. And a decent helmet. And boots.

Those do increase your armor class, or whatever it should be called.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 08:09:00 pm »

I actually wouldn't mind a definative answer on this.

Although I have to say, I stole a pike from a skeltal pikemaster once, which was very high quality, and though I had no skill in it at all I was doing quite a lot of damage.

Varil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 11:26:00 pm »

I've found that with decent stats/wrestling you can kill any 'regular' enemy without even trying, even wielding a weapon you've never touched before. My talented pikeman, with a good wrestling skill and massive stats from high throwing/ambushing, lost his pike somehow and collected a two-handed sword in replacement. I devastated the competition despite my lack of skill. I got owned by a master lasher though.

...come to think of it, I think that particular goblin has killed me *twice* now. The bugger.

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 03:45:00 pm »

Has anyone found anything better than Iron in their adventures? Right now Ive seen bronze armor/weapons and also Iron armor/weapons. If there are Steel weapons and such I will hunt night and day for the set  :)

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 06:44:00 pm »

You can find your soldiers from abandoned fortresses with their equipment in mountain halls. I was surprised to see a familiar recruit with an obsidian sword. She dropped it a bit later in a fight and I promptly got it.
We died soon after of course, peppered by *copper arrows* from a kobold master bowman's bow.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »

Quality has a huge effect on damage and damage reduction *however* you have to be very careful right now.  Do *not* buy based on the symbol on the object.  These symbols are more dwarf-mode oriented.  If an object has giant stars around it, sure, it's a masterwork, but that might be because of the masterwork hanging rings of silk or something.  I find it fastest to use the look command and press enter on each object on the tables.  Then it will say things like "this is an exceptional [item]".  Exceptional is almost double damage/damage block, which is good.  Pick up the item you want, go over and buy it, then collect your change from the table.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: [1] 2