Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just started playing again and thought I'd share.  (Read 1997 times)

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just started playing again and thought I'd share.
« on: August 13, 2022, 05:09:12 am »

I haven't played dwarf fortress in quite some time and the version I got is no doubt quite outdated but I've been having fun anyway and just thought I'd share how things are going.
My current site doesn't have any iron and I've mostly been using bronze but I'll still try and melt down every bit of iron I can get my hands on.
I decided to "part" a mercenary from his iron gear and the whole process was brutally effecient. My soldiers came into the tavern, walked through the bards and various other patrons and beat this mercenary to a pulp and within 30 seconds my dwarves were hauling off the body, melting down the loot, and cleaning the blood off the walls all in one synchronized motion.
I had been wondering though whether one could use some carefully calibrated pressure plates to automatically sort whether a visitor is equipped with heavy armour and deal with them accordingly.

I also tried embarking in an evil biome for the first time but I did the cowardly move of embarking halfway on the border of an evil biome. So far it hasn't been to hard because I can basically just rely on the fertile half of the map. Though when I do send people outside for jobs they occasionally walk through these puddles of goo that build up from the cursed rain and it gives my dwarves a temporary fever. It also means that my doctor keeps throwing up error messages because the sick dwarves will go to the hospital and recover before the doctor can even try to diagnose them.

No ambushes or sieges yet but I'm training up an army of macedwarves and a couple speardwarves.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Just started playing again and thought I'd share.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 07:20:04 am »

Love an old-fashioned guest-murder.

A slight and fading fever is a nice pull from an evil biome. Lucky you!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 05:08:17 am »

My current site doesn't have any iron and I've mostly been using bronze but I'll still try and melt down every bit of iron I can get my hands on.
I decided to "part" a mercenary from his iron gear and the whole process was brutally effecient. My soldiers came into the tavern, walked through the bards and various other patrons and beat this mercenary to a pulp and within 30 seconds my dwarves were hauling off the body, melting down the loot, and cleaning the blood off the walls all in one synchronized motion.
I had been wondering though whether one could use some carefully calibrated pressure plates to automatically sort whether a visitor is equipped with heavy armour and deal with them accordingly.

The pressure plates are adjustable in 1k steps and the UI gives a few examples of creatures at each step.  I set 1 for 6k (includes dwarves) and 1 for 7k.  I linked them to retracting bridges to see when they've been triggered.  My military dwarves always trigger the 7k plate, but I noticed it also being triggered by other dwarves too.  1 of those other dwarves however is described as "tall and belarded by great hanging sacks of fat".  Another described as "corpulent"...  I suppose specializing in food exports has consequences.  So I made another pressure plate at 8k, and that 1 is now just triggered by my dwarves wearing steel suits of armor, but not other dwarves.  I inspected a few of them, and dwarves described as "very fat" trigger the 7k plate but not the 8k plate.  A rare few dwarves were observed to trigger only the 6k plate, but not the 7 or the 8. 

Based on these tests, you should be able to automatically sort visitors by whether or not they're wearing armor.  I'm sure there are ways to filter out other large but unarmored visitors by maybe another pressure plate setup after the first filter if you want to limit collateral harvests.  High traffic areas pose other logistical challenges, but the basic pressure plate mechanics support what you're trying to do. 

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 04:22:42 am »

My latest fortress update, it's been a few years and I got 2 squadrons of legendary macemen (+2 spearmen) and they are mostly equiped with steel though some of them are still clinging to their treasured bronze toys.
I've gone on a few missions and I demanded tribute from the nearby elves but they only gave me 2 sticks so I ransacked their place. Since then they've sent me 2 ambushes and I destroyed 1 of their sites. I raized their other site but for some reason it almost looked like their population increased from the raid so maybe they had refugees from the other destroyed site. I dunno if refugees exist in this game though.
I've bought tons of iron and steel equipment from the humans and dwarves and I melted heaps down but I put a hold on that for quite some time because I was dealing with a shortage of wood. So in the meantime I've been amassing a large stockpile of scrap to melt at a later date.
I have decent control of the caverns. I have cage traps set up to protect an area and I stationed a barracks down there so my soldiers are able to quickly react to any major threats. I've been getting a crazy amount of captured creatures. I'm almost tempted to try to rework the area down in the caverns to instead use weapon traps so there's less creatures to deal with. I do have a good pit set up so I can dispose of a large number of creatures at once. I have also started domesticating some of them. I've got a pen of 25 domesticated cave crocs, I've got half a dozen tame dratha, and some naked mole rat things.
I also have 2 female GCS and 1 male.
There are 2 forgotten beasts that are just sitting in place. One of them was in the 3rd cavern layer and I wanted to kill it but it was flying 10 floors above on ocean and I couldn't get line of site so I boarded up my tunnel to cavern 3 and it has literally stayed in the same tile for 2 years. The other FB is stuck because he can't fly and spawned behind a fungi tree. I've just now started working on using one of my GCS to make a webbed cage trap area and hopefully I can try to capture the 2 beasts. Though I'm not quite sure yet how I'm gonna free the trapped FB without putting a miner at risk (where are the goblin slave miners when you need them)

My medical dwarf has become a legendary diagnostian due to how many people come in feeling sick from the maleodious ooze rain but he's still pretty mediocre at treating patients, though he is also a legend chef and wood crafter due to a strange mood.
I had one dwarf who was injured by a cave crocodile and was taken to the hospital and then decided that instead of resting that he would walk around and continually complain about being too injured to work. So I made a little minecart system in my hospital and the plan was to station McIDontHaveHealthInsurrance on top of a hospital bed and gently launch a minecart at him so he will be forced to lay down and rest. While it did explode his liver him he still refused to seek help and instead I stationed him somewhere out of the way so he would stop spamming cancellations. I built him a grand burial chamber as he was on track to be my first death. He eventually died of thirst because he had difficulty drinking and would just stand there with a goblet. I had to forbid all the fortresses goblets just cause he couldn't drink out of one.

I got me some magma using minecarts and impulse ramps, I know it's a little cheaty but I've tried doing pump stacks before and it takes so much work, and my computer probably wouldn't be able to handle to much moving fluid. It took me quite some time to tweak everything to get it to work but now I can finally start to work through my scrap mountain.

I do still want to make a visitor sorter at some point but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
I don't really need to use it for scrap metal anymore though so maybe I'll try to make a battle arena. I got plenty of monsters to throw at them. All these mercenaries come in and tell me they're here to slay monsters and then spend all their time boasting in the taverns. I reckon it's about time they show me what they can do.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 09:31:42 pm »

Weapon trap byproducts often create miasma. Consider magma-proof weapon traps and magma cleaning.

A ballista can shatter the tree from a safe distance.

The plan was to "gently launch a minecart at him"? So your fort is using medicinal minecarts in their physical therapy program?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 04:16:26 pm »

So your fort is using medicinal minecarts in their physical therapy program?

Haven't read anything this dorfy in a long time, well done.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0