Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge.  (Read 4687 times)

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge.
« on: August 22, 2022, 02:55:57 pm »

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

Welcome, To the newest challenge in Dwarf Fortress!

This challenge is not centered around a specific save. uploading a save for others to view/play is allowed.

Current Challengers:

Rules:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 09:35:59 am by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »
Still an active reader of the forums.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 04:18:55 am »

PTW I wonder if anyone can actually make a working for with that many dwarves.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 04:24:36 am »

1 FPS is more likely, and i think even a thousand dorfs will be pushing it.
If anyone manages to have more than that in a fortress running above 10 FPS, the success will come with a boatload of discoveries regarding fortress optimization and trash management.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 07:09:22 am »

Oh good lord, PTW, if only to learn how too optimize my own forts
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Protonicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 08:02:03 am »

looks incredibly hard. i even dont sure what is better the squire or thin coridor better for pathfinding.
Do anyone know is the next steam release fixes the pathfinding problem?

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 09:47:21 am »

First hurdle I see: finding a world that has that many dwarfs in one civ in the first place. I suppose you could rely on breeding to do it, but that would take absolutely forever…
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 10:33:21 am »

I wonder if you could do it by imprisoning all the extra dwarves in a 1x1 cell to eliminate pathfinding and running the fort with the usual number. Until they die of thirst, you might technically fulfill the requirement.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 12:25:15 pm »

I wonder if you could do it by imprisoning all the extra dwarves in a 1x1 cell to eliminate pathfinding and running the fort with the usual number. Until they die of thirst, you might technically fulfill the requirement.

Build a library with necromancer secrets and imprisions your new found necromancer population in a 1x1 room. It could be a live in crypt, were the undead are buried alive slowly awaiting their madness.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 12:55:59 pm »

My only things I can think of to optimize to get anywhere close to 1/10th of this:

1.Advanced parameters
1a. Make it a pocket sized world as small as possible with the entire environment regions that dwarves can't normally inhabit like deserts
1b. Allow one dwarven civ allowed and no others. No megabeasts or anything either and you'll only have the dwarven capital city spawn and nothing else
1c. Turn off cavern levels, hfs, etc as they clutter the map with creatures and fps drags

2. I'd embark on a slightly smaller setting, but not too small otherwise you can't fit the dwarves to come. If possible I'd pick a mirthful biome. The sunshine alcohol seems to be good at pacifying dwarves in my own notes, but any biome will do
3.Pick either the surface level or the dirt level immediately below it and plan to convert it into a massive farm that'll use most of the map
4. Cut down on traffic through a caste system. Farmers only farm, for example, and they're trapped in their own area so they can't even potentially path around.
5.Use legends viewer and identify if there's any towers, werebeasts or vampires. If there's a tower you're gonna wanna wipe them out for fps and take their books
6.Incrementally convert dwarves to the immortal class in question and imprison them in squares where they can go helplessly mad.
7.Maintain a "pure" dwarf social class that exists solely for breeding and enjoying alcohol and prepared meals in a small area. Just enough space to fulfill needs and you can convert off spring who aren't going to continue in the breeding program into immortal prisoners

Rack up the years as your prison-paradise slowly expands to the bottom of the earth uninterrupted by monsters or caves. Soon enough your caste system will become obsolete as you only need a class to produce food and alcohol and another to consume and mate. And as you identify your mating class and optimize their time you can eventually balance them with the producer class and just outright remove one of those classes and imprison them as immortals leaving you with a small number of dwarves that actually move and reproduce(who are later imprisoned as they age too much with one of their descendants taking over)

EDIT: Tbh if they're in 1x1 prisons you can have an extra small map that extends to the bottom of the earth. No caverns so it's just straight stone that is easy to carve in a way that is efficient
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 12:59:32 pm by Maloy »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 08:31:04 pm »

My only things I can think of to optimize to get anywhere close to 1/10th of this:

1.Advanced parameters
1a. Make it a pocket sized world as small as possible with the entire environment regions that dwarves can't normally inhabit like deserts
1b. Allow one dwarven civ allowed and no others. No megabeasts or anything either and you'll only have the dwarven capital city spawn and nothing else
1c. Turn off cavern levels, hfs, etc as they clutter the map with creatures and fps drags

2. I'd embark on a slightly smaller setting, but not too small otherwise you can't fit the dwarves to come. If possible I'd pick a mirthful biome. The sunshine alcohol seems to be good at pacifying dwarves in my own notes, but any biome will do
3.Pick either the surface level or the dirt level immediately below it and plan to convert it into a massive farm that'll use most of the map
4. Cut down on traffic through a caste system. Farmers only farm, for example, and they're trapped in their own area so they can't even potentially path around.
5.Use legends viewer and identify if there's any towers, werebeasts or vampires. If there's a tower you're gonna wanna wipe them out for fps and take their books
6.Incrementally convert dwarves to the immortal class in question and imprison them in squares where they can go helplessly mad.
7.Maintain a "pure" dwarf social class that exists solely for breeding and enjoying alcohol and prepared meals in a small area. Just enough space to fulfill needs and you can convert off spring who aren't going to continue in the breeding program into immortal prisoners

Rack up the years as your prison-paradise slowly expands to the bottom of the earth uninterrupted by monsters or caves. Soon enough your caste system will become obsolete as you only need a class to produce food and alcohol and another to consume and mate. And as you identify your mating class and optimize their time you can eventually balance them with the producer class and just outright remove one of those classes and imprison them as immortals leaving you with a small number of dwarves that actually move and reproduce(who are later imprisoned as they age too much with one of their descendants taking over)

EDIT: Tbh if they're in 1x1 prisons you can have an extra small map that extends to the bottom of the earth. No caverns so it's just straight stone that is easy to carve in a way that is efficient

This seems like it could possibly work. Anyone willing to try it? I am severely interested to see how far we can make it in this challenge
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 09:10:14 pm »

Recovering from being sick and away this weekend but might be able to cobble something together. If not when I'm back I would be down to give this a try. Interesting little concept.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2022, 01:00:34 am »

I will say its going to be tough to have that many dwarves migrate too!
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2022, 08:42:35 am »

... Oh no.

Don't do this to me.

I can't afford another project; I already have too many that I need to finish.

Sigh.

Where did I put Sil Kodor?
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2022, 11:40:25 am »

Whoever beats any of the above conditions, And kills the entire fortress in adventure mode. Gets 3000 points!
Still an active reader of the forums.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2022, 01:35:14 pm »

Whoever beats any of the above conditions, And kills the entire fortress in adventure mode. Gets 3000 points!
god if fortress mode lag would be bad...
in adventure mode it would be pure pain
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness
Pages: [1] 2