Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Shadow Empire - Galactic Republic vs League of Hoboken - AARs and shit, maybe  (Read 13452 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Empire - Galactic Republic vs League of Hoboken - AARs and shit, maybe
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2022, 03:14:55 pm »

Dear lord, we're gonna end up with a frontline through those mountains, aren't we.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Empire - Galactic Republic vs League of Hoboken - AARs and shit, maybe
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2022, 03:25:31 pm »

It IS looking that way, yeah. That, or on the radiation plain. Possibly both.

[2k H20 sales this turn. Neither rhyme nor reason...]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 03:45:06 pm by E. Albright »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2022, 04:13:21 pm »

Aw, shit. I better step up my aviation game.
So far the only thing I've managed to design with a range greater than 1-3 hexes is a small helicopter. Every now and then I try my hand at planes, but then I just give up after maybe half a dozen attempts.

Or, I could stock up on AAs, I guess.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2022, 05:17:07 pm »

The atmosphere/gravity for this planet is actually pretty friendly to aircraft. The ineffectual things I've been buzzing around you aren't anything special; I've got some modest linear research behind them but I'll tip my hand and confess they're still using basic propeller engines, and you can see the range I'm nursing out of them. You probably have the tech to make something with a useful range if you twiddle some features back and forth.

[Oh, and I discarded 19k units of water this turn, but my merchants wanted to buy up to 14k units. The whole water market thing makes no sense at all.]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 05:19:19 pm by E. Albright »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2022, 02:19:26 pm »

Oh, great. Made an assault gun with a high velocity gun :/

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2022, 04:02:59 pm »

Oh, great. Made an assault gun with a high velocity gun :/
I've had playthroughs were that made sense, primarily to fight off the wildlife.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2022, 04:14:32 pm »

That's not great, but it could be worse. It'll still work as an anti-armor defensive tank. The next version can have the right kind of gun. The kind of mistakes my designers make tend to require full redesigns.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2022, 07:49:25 pm »

I don't remember off the top of my head the specifics of the mechanics assault guns are subject to. But the modifiers must be significant, because the stats of that AG are terribad despite a on-paper good AT gun.

Anyhow, looks like you're running a tight ship. I'm behind in key military tech despite having a larger economy. I though it's maybe because you pushed for a mind profile and its associated bonuses. But no, you're going to kill me with kindness, apparently.
Seriously, why heart? I've always seen it as inferior to the other two. What's the thinking here?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2022, 08:43:06 pm »

Re: assault guns, the manual says it gets -50% to hard attack for being turretless, and hard defense -33% for being a vehicle with a cannon. Those should be the only modifiers; it should be roughly as good as a medium tank for hard defense. That'll be its only high point, though.

Re: Heart, it's keeping the masses happy. It really comes down to what events I'm getting. I've had every profile in that category the highest for multiple turns, and it just turns out Heart was the only one that actually could make the rolls to get feats. I've got a pile of scrap cards I can play to pull me in a couple of other directions when I get some spare PP, but there's nothing pressing from any of them, or at least nothing as pressing as all the other garbage competing for PP.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2022, 08:28:41 am »

I will say that I saw at least one major difference b/tw how you and I were developing our infrastructure, and it would account for a lot of why I'm more advanced technologically. There's another reason not directly linked to that or feats as well. I'm kinda reluctant to discuss either in the middle of an ongoing match, though. Both should be mostly (though not entirely) discernible through spying, although the passage of time will have obscured one of them as it's as much priorities and process as it is about the end result.

[It also really fits for the different personas adopted for our nations, come to think of it.]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 08:38:50 am by E. Albright »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2022, 10:51:56 pm »

So I was going back through the first 32 turns (i.e. before you pointed out the auto-screenshot feature) and reloading them (to make start-of-turn screenshots even if there was no end-of-turn screenies available), and I came upon something else that was probably a major reason I managed to get a tech edge. My first 14 turns were an era of research, then I had 7 turns (I think?) of a crappy epoch (passion?), followed by a 26-turn (!) time of bureaucracy. Those two epochs comprising so much of my early game made a big difference. They probably balance out the utter-garbage epoch I've been "enjoying" ever since the era of bureaucracy passed...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2022, 02:55:48 am »

And here I was, thinking everyone got the same Epochs.
The second Epoch is always bad.
I always thought they were balanced.

...I guess the Galactic Republic is in for a LONG Age of Rebellion, just to balance things out.  :P

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2022, 06:53:09 am »

Yeah, I've also thought we both would get the same. We did with the second era, iirc. Maybe just the bad ones are common for all? I've had revolutions as the most recent. Lasted forever.

In any case, all of this again fits nicely with the 'lore' of our nations.

even if there was no end-of-turn screenies available
Doesn't it make one when you hit the end turn button?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2022, 07:10:39 am »

Only if you have it on when you hit "end turn", which I didn't for the first 32 turn. I could go back and re-create the start-of-turn maps by loading the turns from your emails, but there'd be no end-of-turn maps unless I could remember what I did that turn and re-did it with largely similar outcomes. My AAR notes are nowhere near detailed enough for that.

Now that you mention revolutions, I wanna say I had revolutions after bureaucracy, but it didn't last long - maybe just 1y? I'm currently suffering through a "decade of corruption"; I'm right at the midpoint of its 37-turn span.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2022, 07:41:36 am »

I see. So they're chosen independently of each player then. That we both got passion early on must have been a coincidence.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11