Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Shadow Empire - Galactic Republic vs League of Hoboken - AARs and shit, maybe  (Read 13540 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's more like it.

This might be normal, come to think of it. After all, ten-fifteen turns is all it took for me to get ahead. Such delays in catching up might be expected.

FWIW, I've bee trying not to spend that money. It just sits there.
I thought what I could do, is start counting it more carefully - record precisely how much I get from there, and make sure I never spend a dime from those ill-gotten gains; essentially running my own ledger on a side trying to balance the income and expenses.
However, turns out I can't do that, because the traders get completely broke buying all that water, so I can't sell them anything to virtually prop up my economy.
But then again, my non-bugged cashflow is negative 200-ish, so normally that'd just mean I have to sell a couple hundred rare metals every half a dozen turns or so - and I have those aplenty.
So, I'm thinking, as long as I don't run out of both cash and the resources I'd be trading away normally, the game doesn't really suffer any foul play.
And who knows, maybe if we conquer some more indies, it'll stop for the lack of buyers.

I say let's keep chugging along and see how it goes. I certainly don't feel cocky with my extended lines and first signs of bottlenecking.

BTW, I wonder if your protectorate can declare war on me, and if that'd result in them joining you as if they were attacked. Or if I can keep cheesing it with claiming their territory unopposed.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

FWIW, with my acquisition of two more zones (one very coastal; one with no coast, rivers, or swamps - but then my 3rd city also was like that, albeit with no private economy left) I force-sold just under 6k water this turn for ~1k credits. I have ~800cr positive income beyond that, so I don't really need to spend it either. We should probably either decide to ignore the ill-gotten gains, or spend them, though. I really think there's some zones that are buggily demanding water despite its ubiquity and as soon as we touched them, we started selling. My traders still have ~8k cash-on-hand, so I can definitely sell stuff to them w/o priming them by buying stuff first.

I can't recall if protectorates join if they're the ones who declare war, but I suspect they do.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 03:01:20 pm by E. Albright »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...and for the record, I'm back to having my excess water lost instead of sold. So IDK what's going on there.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see another city has fallen prey to the evil wiles of the Galactic Republic.

And those vassals, protectorates everywhere. And I thought I was being adventurous with trying to peacefully annex a raider minor.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't see why you're making this sound so insidious. We just patiently explained to them that they could set up a schedule to resume paying taxes to the Sector government and prepare to rejoin civilization as member-districts in the Planetary government, and if they did there wouldn't be any teams of Mobile Emergency Retained Document Examination auditors coming to visit them.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Empire - Galactic Republic vs League of Hoboken - AARs and shit, maybe
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2022, 06:22:27 am »

We just patiently explained to them that they could set up a schedule to resume paying taxes to the Sector government and prepare to rejoin civilization as member-districts in the Planetary government
Thou art a bunch of poo-flinging progeny of swimmer frogs and migrator hammerheads masquerading as the revived corpse of bygone oppressors. Fie upon thee! The League of Hoboken declares war upon your unholy nation. May your improvised weaponry chip and shatter.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Empire - Galactic Republic vs League of Hoboken - AARs and shit, maybe
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2022, 08:45:36 am »

Oh, we've seen the freedom your hobo-kin would offer the people of this Sector. The freedom for a poor fisher mourning their 8 children being devoured by the ternitetrapod who capsized their crude dingy to decide whether they want to celebrate their lives by purchasing 100 jugs of Hobo2O or merely 80 from the smirking "salesmen" with shotguns who descend like jackals to "pay their respects".

(On an entirely unrelated note, after two months of no sales at all, GR-8 Bottled Water managed to move 1.5kcr of product this month. I don't have any clue at all what's deciding when there's a market for the stuff. It might be seasonal, but even then I don't know what is triggering the demand in the seasons where there is demand.)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2022, 01:05:10 pm »

And here I thought we were about to clash. That the protectorate was on your border. Only now I can see that there is actually quite a bit of... interesting non-aligned land between us still. Crazy mountains to the south, vast jungles to the north, and a narrow stretch of flat land with a healthy 1000 rad glow most everywhere.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2022, 03:00:57 pm »

I don't see why you're making this sound so insidious. We just patiently explained to them that they could set up a schedule to resume paying taxes to the Sector government and prepare to rejoin civilization as member-districts in the Planetary government, and if they did there wouldn't be any teams of Mobile Emergency Retained Document Examination auditors coming to visit them.
We just patiently explained to them that they could set up a schedule to resume paying taxes to the Sector government and prepare to rejoin civilization as member-districts in the Planetary government
Thou art a bunch of poo-flinging progeny of swimmer frogs and migrator hammerheads masquerading as the revived corpse of bygone oppressors. Fie upon thee! The League of Hoboken declares war upon your unholy nation. May your improvised weaponry chip and shatter.

This is actually quite clever, since "Mobile Emergency Retained Document Examination" acronym is MERDE, which is French for "shit!"

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2022, 03:34:06 pm »

And here I thought we were about to clash. That the protectorate was on your border.

Yes, my clever plan was that when you encroached on their land, Blackbond would grow furious and declare war on you, at which point I could set up a little SHQ and sandbag your expansion for a while. Instead, the naive morons let you completely surround all their troops and city before they ever even thought to question your motives, and so 15k simpletons died to kill a whole 100 hobos.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2022, 05:42:21 pm »

FWIW, my watery Ponzi scheme seems to be drying up. The last couple turns was 300 and 100 income. Maybe it was your erstwhile protectorate that was buying all that stock? They certainly are in a dry spot. Where would they take all that money from, though, is another matter.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2022, 07:26:09 pm »

That honestly makes too much sense given how utterly random my own water profiteering has been. 45-ish turns off, 1 turn on, 2 turns off, 1 turn on, 2 or 3 more turns off...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2022, 04:54:17 am »

The map is a tad too large for a duel, don't you think?

Also, I'm back to 1.5k in H2O sales.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2022, 11:11:17 am »

I wanna say the size ended up being the largest medium size possible, which is the smallest large size. All the mountains and radiation also don't help. This is more of a 1v1 match than a 1v1 duel. Admittedly, that means we actually might use tech on each other instead of deciding everything with assault rifles and cannons, which is what even a tech 5 duel probably would be.

[Easier Logistics would speed things up a lot too]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 12:19:25 pm by E. Albright »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11